Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Touring Bikes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/23/2011 9:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The C14 is a great tourer, no doubts about that. The Sprint would be a better choice if you like twisties. It all depends on your type of riding.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 8/23/2011 4:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wrath186 said...
I am still looking to test ride some of the Triumph offerings, but barring anything substantial I'm probably going to go with the Kawasaki Concours 14.

triumph doesn't generally do discounts like kawasaki so you can get a concours 14 for pretty much the same price as a sprint st:

2011 concours for $13,499:

www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-14-ABS-99094845

versus

2011 sprint for $13,399:

www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-TRIUMPH-SPRINT-ST-99289325

Post Edited (jon) : 8/23/2011 11:43:22 PM GMT

wrath186
There's something in your eye. Here let me get it

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 880

Posted 8/25/2011 12:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not a huge fan of the Sprint.  I was thinking about either the Speed Triple or the Tiger 1050.

Just once, I'd like to be a puppet master and have nothing go wrong.  Is that too much to ask?

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/26/2011 11:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumphs' are my favorite motorcycle next to the Vincent. The older you get the more power you need. Joe own's a Harley shop and his Nitro bike is off scale fast. Very poor cruiser however.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

vase
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 11

Posted 8/26/2011 5:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are so many touring bikes to choose from. I currently ride a 96 Honda Blackbird and love it. Once you get the scottoiler on it, heated grips, panniers it is good to go - ridden around europe on it, 800 mile days - all good stuff.

The Honda St1300 is a great bike, shaft driven - no chain issues and built to eat up the miles in comfort and it has got some poke. These machines maybe a little heave at first but once you get moving, balance and manoevability are easy.

The Yamaha FJR1300 is another bike that will do the job, har panniers, adjustable screen, pre load for pilllion. Worth a look

The VFR750 / 800 is a great bike - will eat the miles in comfort

The ST Sprint from Triumph is also made for touring and will be in comfort

It all depends on your riding style. I like to ride up right - the bikes above are perfect for me and i am 5ft8 and about 170 lbs

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/29/2011 5:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

For some years I noted some of the dirt comp bikes were made in the crazy Kwacker green & I hated it honest to gosh.

Still a few yrs ago I have looked upon the Kwacker green to be the best safety colour when on the roads.

No I am NOT kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Kwacker green is THE BEST.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/19/2012 5:34:26 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/29/2011 5:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

True the Vincent HRD was the dream of many, but when you compare it to modern bikes avaliable if we have the money.  The 1000cc OHV V-twin only developed 49hp.  The suspension was terrible & the stopping power was lousy to say the least compared to modern bikes.  So all one is buying is a bike that was the dream of many in the 50s & that is all they will have if they obtained a Vincenty HRD.

Remember I was an owner of several of them from '48 to '51.  I had more delight in a flat opposed 500cc BMW as compared to my Vincent. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 8/30/2011 8:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

BMW seems like it's hard to beat for more of a "Sport" Tour experience but they are so overpriced. I almost bought the FJR because it has everything you could want in a touring machine and packs a great punch. Waaay more nimble than the C14 by far. But then there is that 16,000 price tag, which isn't horrible considering what you get, but it's alot of bike too. Not a problem for more experienced riders, though.

I tried the FZ1 and though it felt really good, the engine seemed a bit nervous and hi-strung to me. It just wants to rev and pick up the front wheel which is not what you want in a touring machine IMO. Plus I felt a bit knees up on it. I'm sort of a bigger person though, most would not have this issue. The Ninja1000 might be a good pick if you want even more "Sport" in your Sport Tour. The ergos were better than I expected and it didn't seem as nervous as the FZ1. Wasn't sure about the luggage situation though. It was close but didn't quite hit the spot.  

Then I rode the GSX1250FA. You should really just ride one of these things to see what it's all about. It just might surprise you. Surprised the heck out of me! So much so that I bought one!  The only thing I feel the FA lacks is a better front suspension. It has a chain final also, which some touring guys would say is bad, but I don't mind it at all. You sure can't beat the price point.  Suzuki makes a full set of luggage specifically for this bike as well and it's great. I have had mine 2 months now, put 4900 miles on it and so far it's been flawless. It's worth a look...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

Post Edited (RaptorFA) : 8/30/2011 3:50:31 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/30/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good choice! That bike is rock solid. Chain just bring a tiny bit of maintenance to the bike, no worries. Just think that IF your Suzuki did not have a chain, you would
loose quite a bit of power.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 8/31/2011 8:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Red! Yup, no doubt she is proving to be a great mount. I just clicked 5K on her yesterday. Did it in 2 Months. In that short time I have put her through some pretty good paces and she has been flawless. Needless to say I am quite pleased! yeah

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

MotoMan1
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 7

Posted 1/13/2012 3:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wrath186,

Those are three good models. It is great that you are spending so much time weighing the pros and cons. How do they compare price wise? If you ultimately can’t decide, consider looking online for Touring parts to find what kind of upgrades you desire (power, speed, space, etc.) once you buy. This should help you in the decision-making process. Hope this helps!

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 1/15/2012 1:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RaptorFA said...
Thanks, Red! Yup, no doubt she is proving to be a great mount. I just clicked 5K on her yesterday. Did it in 2 Months. In that short time I have put her through some pretty good paces and she has been flawless. Needless to say I am quite pleased! yeah

The Suzuki looks like an excellent choice at the price point, congrats! I saw one on the showroom with the optional paniers and trunk mounted, and it makes quite a nice S/T package. Like that it comes ABS, and has a decent fairing and windscreen, too.

This is my opinion. There may be others like it, but this one's mine until further notice.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/17/2012 1:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's a lot good about a tour pack equipped VFR. Good value if you're looking at a new, non-current unit for sport touring. Hard to beat the Concours though, great bike.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/17/2012 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...

For some years I noted some of the dirt comp bikes were made in the crazy Kwacker green & I hated it honest to gosh.

Still a few yrs ago I have looked upon the Kwacker green to be the best safety colour when on the roads.

No I am NOT kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Kwacker green is THEY BEST.

Yep, I have non biker people, tell me they love the color of My Green Ninja (Kwacker) because they can see it coming. This has never happened with any other color (that includes Yellow) bike I've had. 

Focus the forces, Be The Force