Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Am I too tall for the new Triumph Daytona 675?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 23

Posted 6/18/2011 4:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am deciding between a Suzuki GSXR-750 and the Triumph Daytona 675. I am 6'2" and weigh about 175 lbs. and have read that the Triumph may have a riding stance that is not favorable to the taller riders. I am fairly new to street even though I have years of dirt riding under my belt and I am 32 years of age so the maturity level is definitely greater than that of an 18 year old. I know that most experienced riders will tell you to start riding a used crap bike and then progress to a slightly faster crap bike until you have the experience to buy that dream bike. Well unfortunately I am dead set on a NEW sport bike and these are the two that I am looking at so please with all due respect, I don't want to hear the typical "You’re doing it wrong" speech.

With that said I was hoping to get some opinion on how people enjoy riding these two bikes on the street as well as some realistic expectations. I love the Triumph primarily because of its character. The Suzuki is nice don't get me wrong, but it is kind of run-of-the-mill. The Daytona is different and that is appealing to me. I drive a 2010 Ford Mustang GT and even though that is about as unique as well... a 2010 Mustang GT, I want to be a little different. With that said I don't want the price of being "different" to be a daily chiropractic visit. I want to have fun... And lots of it. I know that I will probably love whatever I get, but I am trying to get the bike that best suits me.

Please, if anyone has some helpful tips on choosing my new bike I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks again.

Kris

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 6/18/2011 5:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's only one thing to do: Go ride them both - or at least - sit on them, test the position and figure if you are comfy enough.

I am 6'2" and 180. We are all equipped different, long legs, short legs, etc. Thus, if I am comfy on the GSX-R750 that does not mean that you are. I am very comfy on my GSX-R1000 which is pretty close to the 750, but again you have to try. I have tall friends that ride the 750/1000 even the GSX-R600.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/18/2011 6:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't believe you're too tall for the Triumph, Kris...at the most your talkin minor tweeks to make the bike fit exactly the way you want it.

If You wanted to thicken the seat, and raise the handle bars (unfold the body, some) so what? All that would make the bike better. Everyone else should be so lucky.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 6/18/2011 6:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
6'2, no. Not at all. You can always add rearsets to be less cramped. The GSX-R will probably feel more cramped to you as it's a lower bike...but who knows.

Oh, and if you've only ridden dirt, get a beater for at least half a season and adjust to street...take the MSF BRC II? Something? Dirt is not street. As a street-only rider I would never approach dirt thinking I knew how to handle anything beyond throttle/transmission.

Kris
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 6/18/2011 7:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I will say this. The people on this forum are honest and pretty straight forward. @ thesoapster I would get a beater bike but I am really not into spending a few thousand dollars just to replace it in six months. If I were made of money I would buy different bikes for each experience level... But I don't have that kind of cash. I think there is a risk in buying new, but I am going to take all precautions including GAP insurance as well as MSF and Track classes to get all the experience I can.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/18/2011 7:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dirt teaches you how to manage the most difficult crap you will ever see...Going from dirt to pavement isn't a challenge.But of course, there is the get savvy to distracted drivers that aren't qualified to drive thing.  But ..going from pavement to dirt, is a challenge like you don't know anything that transfers there.

Ask King Kenny Roberts why he starts his school with dirt

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 6/19/2011 2:06:29 AM GMT

Kris
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 6/18/2011 8:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well... Would it be in my best interest to start on an SV 650 for example? I just didn't want to deal with buying a used bike from a stranger on craigslist. But you do what you have to do right?

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/18/2011 8:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SV650 is a great bike. I got one, SV650S, here besides my GSX-R1000. The SV is a lot of fun and very comfy for a 6'2" guy.

However, my take that if you don't know what you have between your legs, you can easy be a squid on both. Manhandle your testosterones, think and pay attention all the time, and the GSX-R750 is a fine choice, which by the way would be my choice of bike if I was riding single. I ride 2Up most of the time and love the extra grunt in the big Gixxer.

RedDog

Kris
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 6/18/2011 8:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a very careful guy. I probably worry more than the average guy and since I am a paramedic I am fully aware of the dangers that are out there. I know that a "Starter bike" is always the best option but as you say, a bad move at high speed can kill me just as fast on a smaller bike. I definitely have respect for the power a motorcycle makes as well as all the other people on the road. I am very hesitant about this which I think is a good thing. I will not but this sport bike until I am ready. I just want to know that newer street riders have started out on these bikes and survived.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 6/18/2011 10:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
There's only one thing to do: Go ride them both - or at least - sit on them, test the position and figure if you are comfy enough.

I am 6'2" and 180. We are all equipped different, long legs, short legs, etc. Thus, if I am comfy on the GSX-R750 that does not mean that you are.

x1000! yeah

Kris, even someone with your exact build and height may not feel the same as you on the same bike so best for you to find out what will work for you. no one will know for sure but you so RedDog nailed with his input.

just my opinion but out of the two, the 750 is the better value and for less money too...

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 6/19/2011 1:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not in a position to buy a new bike right now. But even if I was I don't think I would, it's money down the drain. There are loads of lightly used two or three year old machines for sale out there. Buy one of those and spend the money you saved getting it to fit you. You say you don't want to spend a few thousand on a beater bike but you'll be blowing a few thousand by buying new.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/19/2011 3:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Im 6ft and when I sat on the 675 I thought wow what a tall bike,me likey. Of course the seats a plank. The 750 is shorter but as its been stated its the best value out there right now mho of course. The sv is a really good place to start,plus as you get better it grows with you. Of the 3 Id have the seven fif,so good it hurts.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/19/2011 10:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard has a great suggestion. There are many great slightly used bikes out there, you may even find some sleepovers. A 2008 GSX-R750 would just do mighty fine. 2010 was basically a dead, ride the 2009s for Suzuki.

RedDog

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 6/19/2011 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you decide to not go new I'd go for the Daytona. GSX-R middleweights have sluggish handling until current year compared to the other middleweights. I owned an 07 750 and rode a friend's 09 600. They both handle worse than my R1, which is a bigger and heavier bike. This year's models have shortened wheelbase and even less weight, so they are competitive. Then again, if you're not planning on doing anything track-related or fast twisty riding, quick turn-in/side-to-side transition really doesn't matter nearly as much. The GSX-R line is definitely more comfortable for the street than the Daytona (I'd say the most comfortable sportbikes period), and you can always help out the handling by putting good tires on.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/19/2011 3:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For what its worth, the GSXR 750 got the highest ergonomic ratings from testers in this recent comparo:

www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/10087/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Supersport-Shootout-Street-Conclusion.aspx

The Suzuki also has this feature which would allow you tame the power down somewhat while you are learning, which might be helpful:

Suzuki Drive Mode Selector
Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) offers push-button selection of two racing-developed engine control maps to suit road conditions and personal tastes.

Read the actual comments by the individual testers in this comparison, (one who is 6' 5"), and you will see none mentioned they were too tall for the Triumph.

3 chose the Triumph, 2 chose the GSXR 750...so it's a close call and the only "bad" decision would be to not get sufficient training, (beyond the MSF), to do these excellent bikes justice and minimize the potential of binning it.

Post Edited (GAJ) : 6/19/2011 11:02:55 PM GMT

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 6/20/2011 8:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would think both bikes are designed with the average Joe in mind, "average" being a little shorter in Japan, I've ridden both bikes and I would swear the Triumph was a little taller, but the wining argument in favor of the Triumph is the engine, it would be way more fun and easy to master the triple than the turbine character of the 750, I'd go for the british bike on engine alone.

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle

roderickluise
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 4

Posted 7/20/2011 12:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Daytona 675. I is always better according to your height.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/7/2011 12:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
... and where is the rest of the story?

BTW RodericLuise, the Gixxers are notorious to fit taller riders too.

RedDog