Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2011 motorcycle of the year is...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 7/30/2011 4:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the "Kawasaki Ninja 1000" based on motorcyclist's subjective opinions.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 7/30/2011 5:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Meh.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/30/2011 7:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I let my subscription to Motorcyclist expire, about 7 years ago...because I felt that their opinion was hopelessly blah.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 7/30/2011 9:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I mean, I'm sure it's a great bike. But honestly, it's boring. Straight up boring. I've seen one or two on the street, and it just seems like standard fare. It's a bit pricey to be that.

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 7/30/2011 11:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
According to "Cycle World," the best superbike of 2011 is...a Buell!!! www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/ten_best_bikes_2011/best_superbike_ebr_1190rs

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 7/31/2011 12:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
According to "Cycle World," the best superbike of 2011 is...a Buell!!! www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/ten_best_bikes_2011/best_superbike_ebr_1190rs

funny, motorcyclist also named the buell their "Dream Bike of the year" and erik buell as their "Motorcyclist of the year". there's a write up about eric's journey....

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/31/2011 8:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When someone has a new bike, to them, I will look it over & even if it is a cruiser I still give praise to some things I see on it.  I know the owner is more pleased, & it certain did not hurt me using those words, as he rides off with his joy of a bike..

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 7/31/2011 9:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A terd. Not a fan,test rode one,just not a fan. I was thinking street triple B.O.Y. but what do we know right were just consumers.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/31/2011 2:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Of all the bikes I've owned the only one that one a "Bike of the year" award or three was the one that took the most money to get "right" for the street.

It won that distinction after I had bought it...and they were flat out wrong.

From the factory the fueling was hopeless as was the suspension.

Of course, as a Japanese bike, and a brand new design, you had to buy it to discover that as no test rides was (and is) the norm for Japanese manufacturers.

I will never buy a brand new first year design from a Japanese manufacturer again.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 7/31/2011 3:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gotta admit though it looks fast, sorta, kinda, maybe.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

DataDan
Rodent Of Unusual Size

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 1054

Posted 7/31/2011 5:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

According to Motorcycle Consumer News it makes 122 horsepower, weighs 500 pounds, and runs the quarter-mile in 10.5. While it lacks full-zoot literbike top-end power--which is basically unusable except at the track anyway--it makes up for it with a broad plateau of torque: more than 80% of the 72lb-ft peak is available from 4000 to the 11,250 redline.

Not only that, it has a real seat capable of supporting an adult male humanoid fanny and a passenger seat fit for a non-anorexic humanoid female over the age of consent. And if that weren't enough, Kawasaki is offering hard luggage and heated grips to make it something much more than a sportbike for twentysomething poseurs to ride back and forth between the Starbucks in Springfield and the Starbucks in Shelbyville. It will be a bike that a serious motorcyclist can take on serious motorcycle trip. No need to trailer it to Laguna Seca; you will be able to RIDE it there from anywhere in the lower 48.

I don't know why Motorcyclist picked it as bike of the year, but it seems to me that it could open a new niche: the liter-class sportbike with brakes and suspension equal to Superbike models, but designed from a blank screen for street sportriding.

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid problems that would demand his superior skill.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 8/1/2011 4:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not impressed.

My Duc St4s makes 115 rwhp from a smaller engine that has half the number of cylinders, was timed at 10.75, has a large 5.8 gallon gas tank, is very comfy 2 up, does not buzz the grips like this Kawi does, has a stock centerstand, weighs less (I think) etc etc.

Oh yeah, and it is nearly ten years old now!

Again, all they had to do was put higher bars, lower pegs, a wider seat and a taller shield on the ZX10.
Then they would have had a 160rwhp, 450lb sport tourer. Bike of the year.

Butt it is a magazine, and they had to come up with an angle. The one they chose was the economy so this was a 'logical' pick - that let's be honest - very few care about.

Butt because their angle was the economy (bike of the year should then have been the CBR250..) they could not give it to the incredible BMW K16, or the Ducati Diavel, or the Buell 1190, or the Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC, because those cost money...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 8/1/2011 9:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They took the Z1000 and slapped a few things on it. My Z buzzed through the bars too so they didn't fix that, not that I really minded as I wasn't using it for touring. Tank is probably the same size as the Z, which doesn't go that far. I think I would have voted for the RSV4 too.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/2/2011 3:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well,they couldnt pick the rsv4 and next year pick the tuono.lol man that thing is ugly. I agree desmo,cbr250r just for what it can do to draw in new riders,price point,etc. We could name it moto message board bike of the year.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/2/2011 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I feel so out of it. For some strange reason, have no need for someone else to pick my bike, or popularity of it.

Can't understand why others feel the need to have someone else, evaluate anything, like they don't know how things work, themselves?

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/2/2011 4:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, on new bikes it's pertinent. Most of us cannot test ride the bikes and it's nice to read as much feedback. As to which is best, of course that is a mixed bag among testers many times, and of course among the actual potential buyer.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 8/2/2011 4:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's the theory/claim as to how things should work, and the reality.
Perfect example would be the electronics packages on bikes now (traction control, wheelie control etc).
The mfgs claim they are great, but unless they are tested, and tested against their peers, there is no way of knowing how great they are, or even how well they work.

It's no longer like in the old days, where you could eyeball bike specs, check the chassis geometry and figure out the basics.  Those days are long gone unless you don't mind buying older bikes.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/2/2011 6:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Aprilia's electronics according to my current Motorcyclist (and others) are the best out there. If I had the space I'd so go for the electronics package Tuono. That is an absolutely disgusting (in a good way) motorcycle.

Flyfisher
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 143

Posted 10/28/2011 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like it. It's the "comfortable sport bike" I've always wanted. It'll do it all because it's not so narrowly focused like most bikes now, and I like the looks. Yeah, it's kind of a UJM, but so be it.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/1/2011 9:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Depends on what Ya call a Sport bike.

Some...(depending on what ys call a road) wouldn't ride a bike that is that big and plump...because of what that does to the Sporty factor.

If Your looking at GT bikes...Then it could be the top choice.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 11/4/2011 12:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Me think it's a decent looking bike with a touch of new and classic. Nice colors!

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Drunkula
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 539

Posted 11/7/2011 7:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think its a sharp looking ride.  However, those exhaust cans are hideous!  Why do the manufacturers put such ugly cans on (lately anyhow)?

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 11/7/2011 7:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Gixxer came with some wickedly ugly pipes. I was bound to get then exchanged. Then they grew on me.

Silent below 4K and an increased note above. After a some miles, the sounds gets deeper. Today, I will not change it. It works very well.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 11/7/2011 12:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, at least it isn't Kermit green! I know that's a classic and iconic Kawi colour, but I always hated it. The red ain't bad IMO. What the rest of the bike is like I have no idea, never rode one and not likely I ever will. But even if the reports are dull or boring, any written information is better than none. It's up to the rest of the moto mags to come up with some better literature  I guess.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!