Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Effing finally - I am going to track my R1  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
49 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 8/9/2011 8:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(I will keep this thread/post updated)

This past weekend I visited the nearby track (Summit Point, WV) and got in as a spectator and watched. Really good track organization from what I can tell, run by respectable folks. The org is Motorcycle Xcitement, run by Roger Lyle. It was likely to be the organization I chose, anyway, but after meeting with them and seeing their setup, I have settled on it for sure. I knew I was capable that day I was watching of getting the bike to the track and that I could do it without much trouble. Having done two levels of California Superbike School and having observed the groups and talked to the supporting vendor that helps out with coaching/leather rentals (Ram Cycles), I decided to sign up as intermediate instead of beginner. I feel this will be more appropriate for me. So, on to preparations -

I just got a new Dunlop Q2 put on the rear, and I have a fresh front available. I think my current front might have a chance at passing tech, but I'm not chancing it and will simply save it after it's swapped to have it put back on to be burned through on the street. So, finished getting the proper sized sockets etc so I can remove my front wheel, already have the Bursig stand, will be getting that changed any day now.

I have cleaned the S out of the bike, especially the chain. Removed the exhaust cans and got every single crevice on the body work clean, cleaned the cans themselves, cleaned up all the surfaces I can see.

Brake pads are plenty thick, and front are pretty fresh HH pads I put on a couple months ago (which bite like a mofo).

Oil has a tad over 3k, so I'll change that and filter.

Although it is not required (it's "appreciated"), I have purchased all the necessary tools to drill/safety wire my bike. I am going to do the drain bolt, filter (with hose clamp), oil filler cap (shouldn't have a problem finding something nearby to wire to). Anything else I should go ahead and safety wire up?

Draining/flushing my coolant system. Will be replacing the coolant with engine ice (which is allowed by this org).

Likely replacing/bleeding brake fluid.

Going to add some protectors I have (fork sliders and a small engine case slider), already have cut R&G frame sliders, bar end sliders, and Motovation swingarm spools/sliders.

Will double check chain slack (should be good, though).

The track day is August 21. I am renting a truck and motorcycle trailer. I have four good tie downs, and the trailer has tie down points and a chock. I plan on bringing my stands, virtually all my relevant tools, some maintenance fluids, gas (think 10 gallons is enough?), painter's tape, Gorilla tape, etc to the track. Not getting an umbrella because there is an air-conditioned building there that you can stand around in, and Ram Cycles has a few giant tents anyway.

My bike number is going to be 88, the year I was born smilewinkgrin. I plan on just using the painter's tape to make the numbers on the front cowl. Ghetto as hell, but see if I care.

Anything I might be missing here? Oh, and yes, I will have my GoPro HD mounted on the tank. There is going to be footage of this.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 8/10/2011 3:33:02 AM GMT

Bullet
That guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 8/9/2011 8:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems like you're all ready to go. I am looking forward to the video.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/9/2011 8:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like you have thought this through.

Check the weather, a good night's sleep, have plenty of water to drink and check your gear - and not to forget, have fun.

BTW how many miles do you have on that R1?

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/9/2011 8:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
15,700 or so miles now. Did I mention for kicks I got my ECU reflashed to remove all the chip throttle restrictions and alter the ignition timing? Bike pulls even harder (which makes me giddy). Throttle modulation ability is better, though. Jett Tuning knows their stuff.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/9/2011 8:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool! It's a great bike.

How's that chain gnawing on the sprockets? Sounds clean and smooth up on the double stand I assume you have?

RedDog

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/9/2011 9:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, clean and smooth. The stand I use is the Bursig center stand. Believe I made a thread some time ago with pictures.

Question about tire pressure - most guys say to run lower pressures. On the street I generally run 36 psi front/rear cold. Should I run something more along the lines of 33 psi cold? Does it have to be lower just because of the temperatures the tires reach at average higher speeds and increased leaning?

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/9/2011 10:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check your Dunlop tire specs. There's something with Dunlops though that may be the pure race tires that run as low pressure as 18-24.

On the track, I just run 34-36 front and 38-40 on the rear. After some pit chat, I tried running 32/30, but that was very uncomfortable for me. I was on the tracks to play, have fun, learn my bike and me, and hone my skills - even lots of laps and tracks 2Up. I wanted to ride fast in a safe environment (safe as it gets) the way we ride on the street. That was my mission from the 90s. Earlier it was more racing.

RedDog

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/10/2011 3:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do your brake fluid. After untold ferrari track days and owners roaching fluid,its not worth the risk. Also make sure you bring extra fluid and nessesscary tools to bled system should you roach yours. I know Gratton raceway(in michigan) you have to wire the rear brake lever,front and rear caliper bolts.
Are they allowing you to run with your front lights untaped? Id lose the mirrors and turn signals,on the off chance some one piles into you ,its less to replace. Check your pad width and have a pad thickness measurement. If they ask or think your pads are questionable its nice to have good quality numbers to give them,as to their spec. You can blow them out quick like at the track. lol I havent even done a track day these are just things I have learned from talking to people lately who do it once or twice a summer,and from ferrari days.
Boscoe(I think) did a thread a while back about Dunnies and pressures,you may want to see if you can find it. It seems like the pressures he used sounded low but were good on track,for him.
For fun ,I would get a infared thermometer,its fun finding temps on the bike when your time is over. Recording tire temps,track temps, disc temps is good for future track use.
Def bring all related tools to running. I would set slack for the chain,and bring tools just in case.  Digital tire pressure gauge and your off to the races,err trackdays...
Good luck and have fun my man. 1988 lol I was getting my first 125 that year,and just finished my first year of scooterdom,time flies when your having fun....  

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 8/10/2011 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like you're being very thorough to me!

I'm sure that someone on the track day staff has good reco's on tire pressure as I'm sure they've seen a ton of R1's.

Looking forward to the video.

Don't be a hero and do anything silly for good video! lol

Have a great time.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/15/2011 8:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Figured I'd go ahead and post the updates I posted elsewhere, including today's work :)

update 8/14 - Got the drain bolt drilled for safety wiring yesterday and actually completely my first safety wire! Exciting to me at least. Funny thing was the hole used for the drain bolt to be anchored to was already a really small drilled hole close to it in a sturdy piece of metal. There is no reason for it to be there. Pretty sure Yamaha deliberately drilled that just for safety wiring :) ... also have the oil changed now and running well. Going to try and get my hose clamp onto the filter now that the filter is installed (could not tighten it with the clamp on there). I already know a good nearby anchor point, so no biggie if I can get the clamp on/tightened. I removed the little bit of extra bodywork so I can flush the coolant. That is the next step. Going to get some distilled water and then top it off with Engine Ice. Then the final fluids change will be my brake fluid. I have all this week to be working on this, so should be nice and simple. Going to keep cleaning up things (now that bodywork is off) just to get it super nice and neat.

8/15 - Flushed and changed my coolant today. Good god. I did the hose clamp/hose removal method. I did leave the radiator cap on for I was told it would slow down the drainage, but it still pretty much just shot out all at once.

It smelled quite sweet (my first coolant flush). Was almost tempted lol! The coolant in it now is Engine Ice, which is YAMAHA blue instead of KAWASAKI green. Things are more right in the world now.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/15/2011 9:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You need to buy some pig blankets(Super absorbent mats) at the auto store. Helps when coolant goes everywhere,much better than the local paper or kmart ads you have there. lol

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/17/2011 6:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, we have a surplus of them at the house. Damned free newspapers gotta go somewhere!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/20/2011 6:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Taken earlier today before getting ready to load into trailer. All taped up and ready with my ghetto painter's tape numbers lol

Loading a motorcycle into a standard trailer is pretty easy. Just ride up ramp (have to give it a slight bit of power at one spot), but otherwise...nice and easy. Not bad at all. Wish me luck tomorrow. I'm getting up at about 5AM or maybe a tad earlier.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/20/2011 6:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good luck, be safe and have a blast!

RedDog

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/21/2011 6:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks the business,have fun soapster.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/21/2011 4:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They wound up having numbers to use instead (and since they wanted to put other stickers their for their ID purposes, mine had to come off). Tech guys and I had a laugh about how long those damn numbers took.

So. I had a good morning (knee down in first session, dragging like hell afterward), and we tried an afternoon session. We were delayed out to the track because the previous group had a crash. We got maybe 1.5 laps in and one of our guys crashed. We then went out for maybe two or three laps and then rain started falling and we came back in. After much delay, rain was gone and track was still wet. I went out anyway. I shouldn't have. At the very least I should have thought to take my throttle mapping off the most powerful mode. I high sided. All damage to right side of bike, not too bad. Fixable. I'm fine, too. Helmet is done unfortunately (will probably fall back on my X-Eleven...damned helmets are so pricey). Leathers I'll have to go over carefully again, but they actually didn't seem to get rashed up much...likely because the wet road surface and the grass/mud nearby. I'm glad I'm alright. Did not have to ride in the ambulance, but EMTs did check me out. I was cleared to ride again, actually (and by then the track was BONE DRY...URRHRHRUFHESJGKLJFKLQWJLJQWKLCWJKLQWCJK), but one thing I could not get by without was my right rearset, which came off when its bolt snapped. At least Vortex stuff is really cheap.

I'll post up pictures/video in the near future. I'm about to see the footage myself in 15 minutes.

edit: Not a high side. Looked at the footage, and although it did "throw" me a bit, it was more to the side of the bike, so I didn't really go flying.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 8/21/2011 11:43:04 PM GMT

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 8/21/2011 6:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
... track was still wet. I went out anyway. I shouldn't have. At the very least I should have thought to take my throttle mapping off the most powerful mode. I high sided. All damage to right side of bike, not too bad. Fixable. I'm fine, too. ...

I'll post up pictures/video in the near future. I'm about to see the footage myself in 15 minutes.
  Soapy... hell of a day! I'm glad to hear that your bod didn't get mangled.
I got a question since I don't ride a sophisticated bike. Is changing the throttle mapping a simple matter of flipping a switch or are screwdrivers and wrenches involved?
  This will be an unforgettable day AND you have vids! How cool is that?

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/21/2011 6:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yeah your accidents all over the web dude... heres a pic....

How did you pull off the number 1 plate?
 Seriously though,glad you are in tact. Its a bummer though.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/21/2011 7:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The throttle mapping is changed by a flick of the switch and can be done if the bike is idling (so you can do it while moving if you pull in the clutch).

After reviewing the footage, I know what I did wrong. It seems I made sudden steering input while on the gas (even if it was only a little it still mattered). Looking at my dry laps, I actually did not have the most smooth (and in one or two dry laps it was quite rough) turn in at that corner. Because we were moving at a slow pace (I was going about 32MPH) I also just didn't go into that turn well enough. What's worse, when I was coming in on the red flag when it first started raining I broke rear traction in the SAME PLACE I would later go down. As mentioned, it wasn't a high side. It had the recipe for one, with the bike going sideways, but it didn't really throw me up/out...the bike was just flung over really fast as it came out of that slide.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/21/2011 7:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know what you did - then you learn. So much better than "I don't know what happened?"

Glad you're OK and bike not too bad. That's racing, as safe as it gets.

RedDog

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 8/21/2011 9:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glad you're ok Soap. You'll be back at it soon. Bikes can be repaired/replaced. Live and learn.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 8/21/2011 10:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
I was cleared to ride again,...

great news!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/22/2011 11:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Video up. Sadly YouTube cannot do 60fps video, but eh, you get the idea.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiUwh9rDGog

Will have more video of the good stuff from earlier and pictures as well.

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 8/22/2011 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ouch. It could have been alot worse Soap. I really hope some newbies watch this and understand that even at low speeds you can be hurt. Joe Cool riding around with no helmet or jacket would have some rash or worse. Did you get the bike looked at already?

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/22/2011 12:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We saw your video over here in AR, a Buddy from Norway and I.

I guess a little too much steering input did it on that wet surface. It does not take much from a sweet and powerful bike like yours.

RedDog