Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Effing finally - I am going to track my R1  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
49 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 8/22/2011 1:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank goodness was on a track and at slow speed...but mildly wet tarmac can be very treacherous, especially on a powerful bike with wide tires.

I'm guessing your frame sliders saved you a bunch of money on plastic, no?

Glad your gear did its job.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 8/22/2011 5:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm guessing the plastic damage would have been a lot worse without sliders. Still, I have rashed side fairing, cracked upper cowl and windscreen, rashed tail fairing, rashed CCT cover (near the clutch cover on the right side of the case), and a dented/rashed gas tank. Looks like this crash just bought me half a set of race plastics lol ... I sure as s**t am not taking my bike to the track with my street fairings anymore.

Some pictures and video below. These pictures were taken by my brother. I will post the one pro one I purchased of me getting my knee down when it's available to me.

Why hello!

Picture taken by me with cell phone before bike was hosed down after the crash.

Video with the last riding I did before the wet lap...has some of my best stuff of the day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSr0EvfsPk

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/22/2011 7:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Soap,might want to go with the El cheapo china knock offs. They are at lest worth a look. Sucks man,looked like you were having a

good time. At least you werent injured and had to miss work. Vynil numbers are far better than the blue tape. lol Let me know if you

need that link for the china bodywork.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

WhiteKnite
Exploring Korea

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 550

Posted 8/23/2011 4:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just found the vid on youtube. Glad you are OK soapster.

2010 Hyosung GV650
2011 BMW F800ST

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/23/2011 5:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Getting the knee down :)

edit: And SID, I am getting replacements at the moment from people on the R1-Forum who have mint condition OEM pieces. Pretty cheap! Still a few more pieces I haven't been able to find yet. I may just cover up the mark on the tank if I cannot find a secondhand one. Brand new they are about $700.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 8/23/2011 12:37:33 PM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 8/23/2011 6:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Oops,I meant for track use. Also,I would reccomend using the sliders that go under the bodywork so if you have a off they protect the frame and motor instead of the plastics. I have freinds who had the bodysliders and when the bike hit the curb, it caught the sliders ripped them off, sent the bike into a tumble, mangled the frame at the mount points for the body work sliders. Just a thought. Some wsbk,bsb,ama teams use them. 

700 for a tank,that is pricey,of course you could get one and use the dented one for track stuff. I'd cover it up as well. Is your go pro mounted to your gas cap cover? thats nice,me likey.  

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Drunkula
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 539

Posted 8/24/2011 6:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That GoPro mount is cool. I would like one for myself!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/24/2011 8:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those interested in the tank mount can get one from here - sportbikecam.com/home.php

That mounting system along with the GoPro's tripod mount works nicely.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/24/2011 9:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One thing I learnt quick in my virgin days on the track was to look where I was going and keep my head level as comfortable ...

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/24/2011 1:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was definitely looking where I was going :)

Thing was I had to do a bit of defensive riding. There were some really green people out there who were taking corners in the most messed up ways. Not going in from the outside, having to constantly change line, etc. That was my only complaint about the track and being in B group. I could not pass on the outside of a corner by rules, only on the straights. Most of the bad cornering people could go plenty fast in the straights but would p*** out when a corner would come up. I was trying to drag in the corners...so much fun :p

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/24/2011 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's normal before you get into groups with more experienced riders.

I guess with all these obstacles on the course, it changes scanning. I mean you got to follow these novices cause they will do something
weird - not on the stretches.

In your first picture of you and another racer, you do look where you're going it seems like, but your head is quite leaned with your body and
not kind of level - within comfortably. It may well be just the picture but the human brain ain't made for tilt. I had a friend that rode like
that but when we got to the track, this was pointed out by the instructor, an ex GP500 racer. My friends changed to "level" and stated
quickly it was so much easier to see and act correctly through the corners.

But, then again, it could just be the picture.

RedDog

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/24/2011 1:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is true I do not level out my head much, just look into/through it (the corner). I'll give it a try next time I'm out.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 8/24/2011 8:57:59 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/24/2011 2:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a hint, Buddy!

From the old Triumph and Norton days, I built this habit of feeling the lean with my feet/boots. You quit that very quick on
the track LOL! They won't let you ride with your toes out of the boots you know.

RedDog

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/24/2011 8:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, the Sidis have toe sliders, but I swear I must really underestimate my speed. When I was getting bored stuck behind a line of slow people and a control rider I'd sometimes sit up and put my arches on the pegs instead of riding on my toes. I immediately scraped in a turn, despite feeling like we were barely moving. I mean that happens on the street but I feel like I have to be moving decently. I ride on toes because if on the balls of my feet usually not long after I touch knee down the boots start scraping next lol

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/24/2011 9:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you're doing very well.

RedDog

CanaDuc
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 8/31/2011 7:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey there. I actually joined this forum just to comment on this one. As a new-ish track rider myself, can I offer the following?

1. Technically, what you did *was* a highside, albeit a low speed one. The rear stepped out and caught again causing the bike to flop over quickly, which is why you crashed on the right side instead of the left.  But you know this.  99% sure it was throttle, not steering that caused it.

2. First track day, wet surface, incredibly powerful bike. Kinda stacking the cards against youself. Lesson learned I hope - I'd say going out in the wet was maybe the biggest thing. What's the point, really?

3. It's great to get your knee down, but even better to hang off more, preserve lean angle, and go faster. From the photos you could really get off the bike quite a bit more. Compare your body position to that of the really fast guys and you will see what I mean.  I'd say you did great for a first time out, but you will be amazed what hanging off more will do for your corner speed.

Look forward to seeing some of the pre-crash video.  I found it funny that before getting to the track, you were enthusiastic about trying to get more power out of the R1.  Still feel that way? Even stock it is a pretty callenging beast!  You would be better of trying to reduce its hp at this stage, not increasing it!

I am only in my first full year of track riding, and like it so much that I have given up on the street altogether. It is a blast, and I hope this first experience hasn't discouraged you. Really it is the only way to properly use a bike like yours in my opinion. Rock on.

Post Edited (CanaDuc) : 9/1/2011 1:09:02 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/1/2011 10:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can learn an awful lot about bike control during a wet day at the track.

The ideal mount, however, would not be a modern literbike with fat tires with a low percentage of sipes on those tires.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/1/2011 2:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The consensus I've gotten from racers/seasoned track riders was that it was cold tires plus too much lean, not throttle. Of course the RPMs would climb as the rear breaks traction. And yes, I got lucky with my high side as it was basically me being thrown down instead of up/out!

In terms of body position, I'm going to work on hanging off more. I'm wary of trying to scoot off the bike too much because I tend to ride twisted. I actually am too straight up. I should have been further back in the seat and laying down more. Still working on that. I wound up not getting a whole lot of track time that day, and even less that would be useful for working on body position I'm afraid.

Funny enough I told myself, too, by hanging off I'd be scraping too soon. Of course this is not the case as I'd be able to as you mentioned get more corner speed by lowering the center of gravity. Things to work on...

Bike is coming along. I have it apart at the moment and parts are here/on the way. I'd like to do another track day this season if I can. I'll definitely be buying my trailer (the one my Civic can pull with the hitch I got) going into spring of next year. When I have a good, reliable setup going I'll be able to go much more often and not have to rely upon other people. I had to borrow my dad's truck this past time because *)*$@!#ing Uhaul completely screwed up my reservation for the truck/trailer. It worked out ultimately, but it's extraordinarily annoying. When things fall into place as they should I get to the track relaxed and more ready. This is a good thing.

CanaDuc
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 9/1/2011 3:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
When things fall into place as they should I get to the track relaxed and more ready. This is a good thing.
Oh for sure.  It's so important to have everything organized so you can be clear-headed and concentrate on what's important.  Of course the rain doesn't help, just adding that one more decision...is it dry enough?  Should I go?  Is it too risky?  You were dealing with a lot of crap for your first day, in addition I'm sure to the normal nervousness associated with the unknown.  Next time you'll know what to expect and be that much better!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/1/2011 5:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, and on the power...not bad at all. I'm glad I got the ECU reflash. Power delivery, while stronger, is much better overall and smoother. If I had been in 'A' mode pre re-flash I'd have bit the dust (err mud) harder. The power was useful for making passes for sure, but even so I don't think I can justify getting out of 2nd gear on that track. Summit Main, I suspect I'll get up to 4th. Much more flowing track. I actually really like Shenandoah, and I'll be more likely to pick that than try a new track just yet. I'd like to learn it...just starting at this point.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/2/2011 4:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You make a good point soap,about your set up prior to the racetrack. Having your bike trailer,etc. done and over with is a huge benefit. When your runnin around trying to secure transport,it wears on your mind. Showin up to the track frustrated,sucks. when you get your trailer we need pics. Dying to see what a civic looks like with a trailer and bike behind it.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 9/9/2011 9:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I read every one of your posts because you remind me exactly who I was when I first started! Went through the same dilemmas and questions.

I'd like to mention, you should also wire up the brake caliper screws, I don't know what kind of temperature you're riding, but I like to err in the side

of soft. I use Michelin power race and I like them at ~30f ~25r one another tip, you can put a set of sliders in the rear passenger pegs, remove the

peg and put a big ole slider there(by whatever decent means) for a track bike, it's gold!

as for the crash, I think it was wet+throttle+cold tire+to hard everything adds up, but for sure I bet a lower tire pressure could have help you stay below that limit you hit there, I think that could have happened to any of us wit 36 psi!

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle

Post Edited (luiggispeed) : 9/10/2011 4:47:14 AM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/10/2011 6:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the suggestions :) ...yeah bike is going to get wired up more, too. As for pressure, I said I used 36f/r on street. That day I set my cold pressure to 33f 32r and it seemed to be good in the dry! lol

I was just amazed, though. I almost wonder now if there was something on the road surface there. I cannot tell you how many times I've ridden in the wet (on much harder psi), and faster! Now if I have to ride in the wet on the street I'm going to turn into a giant bitch.

edit: FWIW I'm going to be playing with pressures a bit more now on the street...thinking 34f/33r to start.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 9/11/2011 2:10:10 PM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/15/2011 8:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A few days ago while the bike was apart I went ahead and checked some of the internals (made sure intake funnels were intact and still moved properly, looked at components under airbox, etc). Everything still looked like it was together (hurray). The picture below was before I started putting a lot of the new bodywork back on.

Today I finished the tail section and most of the front end. Got everything connected and put my exhaust cans back in place and decided to give it a whirl. It lives :)