Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Fuel mileage  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
26 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Budoka
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 8/17/2011 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So I'm getting pretty comfortable with my new to me RC51. One thing I expected was miserable range and associated poor mileage. I haven't been miserly on the throttle by any means but I'm pretty happy with the range and mileage I'm getting. My last tank I burned 2.75 gals (Cdn/3.3 USG) and travelled 170 miles, very few at what anyone would consider legal. So that's 61 mpg Cdn/51 US. My fuel light had yet to come on but I have been expecting to see the light at about 130 to 140 miles. Hasn't happened at all yet; my tank is 4 gals Cdn, or just under 5 US. I'm totally thrilled at these numbers. So my question is this: what are all you guys/gals with litre bikes getting for mileage out there?

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/17/2011 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's great and amazing that you get that good MPG! Good stuff!

Original exhaust or?

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/17/2011 2:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
err,you sure the light works.. lol My buds vtr stuperhawk gets about 175 to 215 to a tank. I think its the same size,anyway they are thirsty but if youre having fun and happy,who cares about facts. My buddy says it seems to suffer most in town,out on two lanes in the country its better.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 8/17/2011 2:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Z would get decent if you restrained your wrist. I never took any numbers. I know I had a hard time not getting on it so my mileage wasn't that good. I'd get in the canyons and go.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 8/17/2011 3:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Budoka said...
So I'm getting pretty comfortable with my new to me RC51. One thing I expected was miserable range and associated poor mileage. I haven't been miserly on the throttle by any means but I'm pretty happy with the range and mileage I'm getting. My last tank I burned 2.75 gals (Cdn/3.3 USG) and travelled 170 miles, very few at what anyone would consider legal. So that's 61 mpg Cdn/51 US. My fuel light had yet to come on but I have been expecting to see the light at about 130 to 140 miles. Hasn't happened at all yet; my tank is 4 gals Cdn, or just under 5 US. I'm totally thrilled at these numbers. So my question is this: what are all you guys/gals with litre bikes getting for mileage out there?

Good for you. I'm not surprised though because I can get 50mpg out of my 1340cc engine that pumps out 165hp and 100lbs. of tq. at the wheel if I keep it steady at 75-80mph in 6th gear.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 8/17/2011 3:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My '97 TL1000S gets about 35mpg, fuel light comes on at around 110, maximum fuel range running bone dry would be 150 miles or so.

I fill up around 130.

Your MPG is amazing for such a bike.

Motorcycle Consumer News tested two RC51's, the 2000 model got 34.1mpg, the '03 model got 35.5...and the 1997 TL1000S they tested got 36.9.

Your mileage is bizarre.

Wring that thing out once in a while! lol

Here's the link with all the info on liter twin MPG you could possibly ask for:

www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 8/17/2011 7:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My friend's RC51 gets in the high 20s...but he also has that thing running rich....really rich lol

WhiteKnite
Exploring Korea

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 550

Posted 8/17/2011 10:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My old CBR1000rr only got around 110 miles on about 11-12 liters when the light came on. I rarely ride highways though.

You can really only compare to other RC51's though. Every single bike out there will give different numbers, especially once you start adding slip-ons and power commanders and stuff.

2010 Hyosung GV650

www.youtube.com/KniteWulfe

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 8/18/2011 2:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...

Good for you. I'm not surprised though because I can get 50mpg out of my 1340cc engine that pumps out 165hp and 100lbs. of tq. at the wheel if I keep it steady at 75-80mph in 6th gear.
That's not saying much, jon. You're only using about 25bhp at that speed. I dare say I could get close to 100mpg if I rode my 400 Honda so it was still on the pilot jets. As it is I get around 50mpg (UK gallon) overall. Not very good in my opinion.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 8/18/2011 8:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I still had over 5 litres of fuel left in the tank when I filled it and recorded that mileage so the light was just about due to come on. P/O told me the light does work, but I've never pushed the tank low enough yet to see it
as I'm still in the exploring/learning mode with the bike. Just a bit shocked with the economy is all. I'll post some more pics when I get the undertail and hugger kit on it.

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/22/2011 4:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do not have any idea of my fuel milage on my '00 Honda 929 or the '03 Honda 954.  For I only go by the trip meter at a specific number of Kilometers, it is telling me I am close to the darn  idot fuel guage & if I get to the tip fuel meter that is in dire need of a fuel station for I will only have 3 leters left as reserve.

Also on the reserve oil container is 250 ALSO telling me that the darn fuel milage meter will start to red with its red light. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 8/22/2011 11:54:52 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/23/2011 6:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty: As a rule of thumb, I topped off the gas at 130-150 miles (210-240 km) on my 929. Normally the gas light would start blinking around there, unless I was cruising 10+. The gas light started blinking and at that point I had roughly 1-1.2 gallon of fuel left or like 40 miles (72 km). Pushing on, the light would be steady, no blinking. Then I had 18-19 miles to go before running on empty.

I had the exciting experience once we came from MO aiming for a gas station here in the boonies, but surprise, surprise: It was closed and we pushed on to the ferry with just a tiny pump as an option by a small grocery store. It was open and I had 0.02 gallons left of fuel, running on fumes.

RedDog

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 8/25/2011 9:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So we did another run last night and I keep forgetting about the smaller US gallons you guys (except Smitty and GeoffG and myself) use for calculating. We were running pretty hard on some backroads and I got 46.97 US mpg while sustaining speeds in the 85 mph range most of the way. That translates to 56.36 mpg Cdn or 5 l/100km for you die hard metric fans. On the way home, one of the group wanted to weigh his '47 Chevy street rod so we hit the self serve load cell scale. My RC weighed in at 210 kg's (463 lbs) with a full tank of fuel and a tankbag aboard...a tad porkier than I expected really. Only mods on it are the stainless Yoshimura pipes, no weight reduction bits unless you consider the wee tad smaller reverse patern shifter arm. I have an undertail kit coming and am loking for a rear hugger, but i think if anything that will ad a pound or so to the total. On the other hand, it's almost exactly half the heft of the Winglol

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/25/2011 9:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Something is giving you almost 10 mpg more than normal for that bike. I wonder what.

RedDog

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 8/25/2011 11:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
Something is giving you almost 10 mpg more than normal for that bike. I wonder what.

More like 15 mpg better than the two bikes tested by MCN, who's average weight was 485lbs.

Are you sure it's an RC51? lol

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/25/2011 2:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
RedDog said...

More like 15 mpg better than the two bikes tested by MCN, who's average weight was 485lbs.

Are you sure it's an RC51? lol

comparing conservative gas saving riding mpg to moto test mpg ratings is inaccurate because those testers ring the machines out every chance they get during the test. keep the bike steady at freeway speeds in top gear and the mpg will be higher than the test numbers where riding is very erratic.

Post Edited (jon) : 8/25/2011 9:31:22 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/25/2011 4:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True, but that's not what he is doing.

RedDog

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/25/2011 5:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Budoka said..."We were running pretty hard on some backroads and I got 46.97 US mpg while sustaining speeds in the 85 mph range most of the way"

guess it depends on what Budoka meant by "most of the way"...if most of the way means 80% or more of the total ride, i can see 46 mpg.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/25/2011 5:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yep, I hear you and him. He is lucky with that high MPG.

RedDog

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 8/26/2011 11:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I base it on the fact that Motorcycle Consumer News' mpg figures are pretty darned close to mine for my three bikes; +/- 10% and to numerous threads on BARF discussing RC51's, (and other Japanese Big Twins), and their horrific mileage and low range, (as confirmed by MCN).

I posted the link, maybe you all can chime in and see if, indeed, your bikes' mpg is significantly better than what they found.

Only my DRZ400SM sees regular use of the entire tachometer during a ride.

But then again, I rarely do freeway drones where you can expect better mpg than bombing the back roads.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/26/2011 7:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My bikes so old it isnt even on there lol! Its time to let her go and move on I think.......
It gives 38.1 for the eight hundie though,which is sorta close to mine,I get 42sih,lately on the e way,spirited rides garner 34.....ish,lol sometimes worse. Most everything is 3rd, 4th gear,I prefer 3rd. My buddys super hawk 1000 dreams about 46 mpgs. Are you sure the gearing isnt changed Budoka?

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/26/2011 8:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
39.5 for my Gixxer, not far off. Cruising, I mean 10+ on the boring straight slabs, I get 42-46, 2Up and loaded. Spirited ride here in the curvy country, 38-40. I have been in that spirited pace with RCs and they would get 10 less.

RedDog

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/29/2011 4:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I see RD that as we both have a 929 (well I have a 954 though you have a lovely Suzy GSXR-1000) we seem to get the same milage before the light meter indcates we are low.

I was embarassed when going up a steep hill towards my town only I ran out of fuel.  A couple on a bmw & frinds of mine swung around asking if I had run out of fuel.  Knowing that they chased off & the wife had a plastic container for oil in it, & asked if that would get me to a petrol shop.  I said yes & thanked them so much.  YES I was able to make it to a petrol station & top up.  MY fault was being in the back roads & having a lot of fun when shifting gears to throttle, braking & such.  SO I had not taken into consideration that would be so much harder on the petrol I would be using.  So YES I was cought with my pants down showing my STUPIDITY. 

Also when in Canada everything is in METRIC which will change in the USA soon,  Checkwith pilots, bombers howizer or morter people.  ALL are trained to read & us the METRIC system.  For it would be a bummer if someone was in need & the pilot in control of the bomber or the artillery people made the error of actually hitting THEIR ALLIES.

Mind you in your case you have understood METRIC from day one.  I had a German brought up friend that was going to work on his '90 GMC 4-wheel drive, also has an old Yamaha dual purpose 350cc bike as well.

On the phone asking if I had a socket of 55mm & I had to say NO, but went down.  His tools fo measuring were normal American ones, but his school payed off & he was dead wrong.  Also the more he went forward of him GMC the more metric nuts & bolts were in his way.  That forced him to buy some proper tools in Metric only for in that year any BMC was fitted with METRIC nuts & bolts. 

Also with a maze of droans being produced in USA or so many countries & controlled back at HQ where the kids fully understand the metric system.  We know a fighter aircraft the pilot is almost woren out after 4 hrs of flying, though a droan can last for a maze of hrs, to also be refueld when up in the air, & from all its spotting equipment those kids know more of how the war is going on then a pilot of bomber pilot.

They can now have track driven droans that patrol all around & can move faster then a human can on the ground, they can even stop an innocent in their terrain, ask questions & if not answered then the command is to shoot & kill the innocent person with a 14mm 7:62 round in its magazine up to 40 rounds.

Big problems to fellow allies is that the enemie can also make their own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 8/29/2011 11:56:54 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/30/2011 8:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty - yep I enjoyed close to 40,000 miles with the 929 and now over 53,000 with the GSX-R1000.

Regarding MPG they are pretty equal. The more punch and torque in the GSX-R makes it easier to ride, thus less fuel required. The 929 required higher RPMs to do the
same. But going down the highway in 80, they are very similar. The GSX-R is plain stock except for better filtration, the 929 had a TwoBrothers pipe that helped the MPG
a tiny bit.

Anyway I fill down here after some 120-160 miles. I then know I have some 40 miles to go, then again you may not have a gas station opn within that distance.

RedDog

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 9/3/2011 9:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Same with me RD, could be 60-80 miles before another station at times. The RC has no guage so the light is all I have, understandably cautious since you can always get crap fuel and lose major range on any given tank, although it's not as likely running the required 92+ in it. Yes I was over the 80 mark well over 80% of the time, RC's are geared tall so that may make a difference. Some of the tested bikes could have been significantly lowered in the gearing to make them more street friendly, mine is only very minimal gear reduced (one tooth). I'm frankly astounded at the consumption (my brother-inlaw's Superhawk is way more limited and carries 2litres less fuel too).

My undertail it just arrived so maybe I`ll get a chance to tackle that job this weekend.:-) Sure having fun trying to find a hugger for that rascalshakehead