Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Honda 954  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Budoka
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 9/3/2011 1:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of my local riding mates has a 2003 954. I never knew it but apparently there is a bit of an issue with 2nd and 4th gear in the trannies of these bikes. Anybody have an upgrade or info about these otherwise pretty solid bikes? I know you have one Smitty, any thoughts?

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/5/2011 8:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have heard that a Factory Pro tuning shift improver kit,with a Gilles shift arm support will help. More like a bandaid,but does aid in better shifting.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/9/2011 12:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have one of the same 954 Honda bikes along with an older 929.  Now originally all 929 bikes had to be corrected (complete new clutch at the cost of the factory & the dealer), but narry a problem on the 954 & the same with my 929 so it seems like this if reason to see a Honda dealer to possibly get things corrected.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 9/14/2011 2:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Smitty, I did some digging and found nothing of the sort on the 'blades site or anywhere. Maybe Colin just damaged his by being stupid with the gearbox.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/23/2011 4:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Possible a prior owner took the love of shifting without the use of a clutch be it up or down & that can be damaging through.  I have always felt the lutch lever was there for a given reason.

For back in the late 40s I had a Matchless 500cc & the clutch plates slipped.  So increased the strength of the springs, but when I came in I was simply pooped out in using both levers & FINALLY simply ignored the clutch into what we called "Crashing the Box" so yes the damage was dramatic.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 9/30/2011 7:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those 954's are solid. Somebodies bad habbits are at fault there.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

robbbaker
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/11/2011 10:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I already have Honda 954. This is one of the wonderful bike in the world. I can do bike stunt also like 12o'clock, 360 round ville, stop pee etc

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 10/12/2011 3:18:46 PM GMT