Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2012 Yammie R1  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 9/14/2011 10:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
More stuff and higher price, any better?

--> The 2012 Yamaha R1 is priced at $13,990 in Raven or Blue/White, $14,190 in White/Red, or $14,490 in 50th Anniversary trim. New features include a new 7-level traction control system, headlight cowl, LED position lights, muffler caps, and triple clamp.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Yamaha-YZFR1-50th.jpg
  112KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 5638 time(s).

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/14/2011 2:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
7-level Traction control....Sounds like boring has no bounds lol

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/14/2011 2:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're correct, again ;), Lou.

Soon, we can just jump on a bike, push some buttons and it will take you wherever you want to go, leaning for you,
gassing for you, even stop when you need to. Push home, and here we go. No spinning, no power wheelies, no challenges ...

RedDog

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/14/2011 2:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bold new graphics are nice..... 7 level traction gimmick doesnt sound nice. new exhaust caps,led lights,triple clamp? Is yamaha on its last leg? New gsxr thou waits in the wings,hope yammie get it together....... The r1 is very dated looking. Needs a revamp badly.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 9/14/2011 2:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
not much's changed in the looks department, i still like the 04-08' generations better.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 9/14/2011 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Like the 'look' of the new 'blade better (just me, not sayin, just sayin). Muffler caps are "new"? Somebody from Honda jump ship and drop in at Yam-camp? I'd like to be one of the lucky ones to test ride all four '12 litre bike offerings (no Eurobikes included sorry...ok not sorry...) and see if much really has changed.
'

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 9/14/2011 4:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's funny because the crossplane design is intended to reduce the need of electronics. That said electronics could have saved my bike several weeks ago...maybe they wouldn't have. Either way, mild style changes...really nice triple clamp if you've seen them (looks more race-like). I absolutely love the anniversary colors. So pretty. That said, my 09 spanks that bike. I think I read some ECU tweaks were done to the '12 to hopefully make it not as bogged down, but who knows. I like my ECU right now...really lets the bike roar.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/14/2011 7:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RedDog said...
You're correct, again ;), Lou.

Soon, we can just jump on a bike, push some buttons and it will take you wherever you want to go, leaning for you,
gassing for you, even stop when you need to. Push home, and here we go. No spinning, no power wheelies, no challenges ...

Ya, what's up with these Pansies that can't hack a challenge, anyway?

The most breathtaking, Ego Pumping, satisfying, ride I've ever had (maybe because the memory of it is so fresh)...was just a few days ago.

Coming back from a Bay Area Riders Forum, ride they take to Nevada, I left early to ride return by myself, everything on my terms, and casual. 
 It was casual until the Thunder Storms with hail and lightning cracking around me, and rain under these storm cells that had so much water in the air and on the road...the twisting. narrow mountain road actually would disappear for moments.  And stopping was not an option.

Must endorse Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z6's as a rain tire...they were secure, beyond any belief.

And...after getting through that challenge that taxed me beyond what I thought I could handle...The rush of satifaction was entensly euphoric.

7-level traction control and paying for it?   They couldn't pay me to take it.lol

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 9/15/2011 4:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately, I think motorcycles are headed in the direction that the auto market went. Every bike will eventually have ABS and traction control. Used to be an option on cars and now most have it standard. I have always said that there a 3 guarantees; death, taxes and change. Most change is good but some will turn alot of people off. Have to see what the future holds.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 9/15/2011 4:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These systems will continue to improve, Bullet. TC on the Kawa and Ape are said to feel nonintrusive but still are there to do the job (BMW's was mentioned to be more noticeable...though I didn't notice it except for the one time I slid a bit coming out of a corner...yeehaw). Since sportbikes are performance machines hopefully they will go the way of sports cars and generally allow the rider to turn the stuff off if they so choose. I know this has not always been the case so far, but looking forward that's what I'd hope.

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/15/2011 5:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah a magazine in europe did a test with the bimmer and the ape,bike or ride or somethin  like that. The bmw with tc on shreded the tire. With it off the rider ,a pro of course,had better lap times as well as better tires. The same couldnt be said on the aprilla however,he went faster and tires were better with tc active.
 So over time electronics will improve,but from what I have read,aprillas the only one really on the proper course. Its wide range of adjustment is the key. It sounded like most people like it set at around 3 for the tc. It allows slides and tire spin before the electronics step in. Now,in ferraris with wild electronic packages it takes a second to get used to it. You feel the slip and adjust accordingly and by the time you have done that the electronics have fixed the slide, so you are slower. Once you get used to them,it is sorta fun,the finesing of the car is gone though,just hammer in hammer out. From what I have read,the same holds true with motorcycles.
 In the wet, on a rough road,I could see some benefits,but you would never achieve the level of satifaction like Lou described. For me its like riding a cr 125 through the woods,and then riding a cr 500 through the same section. The swelling of pride from making it through the section on a 500 is way more than how you feel on a lesser bike. Reason being,its way freakin harder on the 500.
 Its a techno world,and thats what has been selling, so we will be getting alot more of it guaranteed. Plus,its "safer" lol.  

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/15/2011 12:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's video from someone riding on the BARF trip through the hail that Lou describes, (I did not go...but I think I would have pulled over to wait it out).

Very funny but only because nobody got hurt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG03ToA2hPg&feature=player_embedded

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/15/2011 1:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow! that looked like a royal pain in the wallet. D@mn. Least nobody gut hurt physically.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/15/2011 1:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yep, that's very interesting. As with all crazy challenges, you laugh at it later.

RedDog

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/15/2011 2:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That was the funny-est video done.

The walking like a Charley Chaplin silent movie helped. And the guy having his feet fly out from under him, then he pops back up, was a nice touch.

I guess the guy that comes out with street clothes, and an umbrella came out of a stopped vehicle...but not seeing the vehicle in the video throws a laugh into this as well.

As far as all the sliding around goes...Lets just say...They aren't Alaskans  lol

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/15/2011 2:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And what did you do?

Followed that neat track at the bottom of the valley?

RedDog

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/16/2011 8:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Video came from Sonora pass (Hwy 108). I was on Ebbetts pass (hwy 4). Under different storm cells, Mine had vastly heavier rain...not much Hail.

The lightning around me, was a rush...the way it (the light from it) reflected off the road surface, it was like the road had it's own light source. The lightning started a fire just off the road, on Monitor Pass, but..it ddn't last long.