Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Riding an Aprilla 998 2000 tomorrow.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 9/23/2011 5:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool bike, buddy just arrived from NC and I get to ride it. Awesome bike to ride while the 14 is down for upgrades.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 9/24/2011 6:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which bike is that? Do you mean the Ducati Superbike 998? Nothing seems to come up in a search for an Ape of that name.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 9/24/2011 1:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a water cooled v-twin with a serious set of nads. Really don't know the size of the motor is but it reminds me of the 96 inch sporty that I used to race in the 1/4. Was very surprised at the torque and how quick it revved. The speedo is in klicks at temp gage is Centrigrade. Tach goes to 12K that's all I know about it.

It is 998cc and it's a Mille RSVR. It was owned by a Yamaha race mechanic. Dry weight is 417lbs. hp is 126@75 ft lbs of torque. It wheelies at just the thought which I don't care for. It feels like a feather and handles like a race bike.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 9/24/2011 8:56:57 PM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 9/24/2011 2:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, an RSV! Cool bikes :)

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 10/3/2011 8:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's my bike now, loved it that much. It won't touch a ZX-10 or 14 but handles like a 10 speed bicycle even better. Flicks like no other.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/7/2011 10:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm eager to hear how Your new experience exposure is going, as it keeps coming...and before the snow flies.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 10/7/2011 7:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Above 110 mph, just no real spunk. Will class this as a great scooter.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/8/2011 10:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How often do you see the speedo get to 110 on the twistie Utah roads?

If your not on twistie, or going to twistie, why ride it?

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/8/2011 12:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Utah has its share of long... straight... utterly BORING roads, as well.

*cough*US 50*cough*

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 10/8/2011 4:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's done at 130 mph thats when the 10 and 14 are just waking up.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/8/2011 6:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Humm...I can see that bike hitting the "it's all over" wall at 130, (or less than 130) but that bike should be all about a road that doesn't let any bike hit 130. It's a bike to dance a quick flick Salsa.

And the Bikes with Tire smokin Sizzle at Elevated speeds...
1. don't escape the lawman or dumb ass driver mistakes, for long.
2. Don't flick their twice as many cylinders, in such a warm hearted way.

So use the right tool for the job....Taking a knife to a gun fight, never works out.

I made a lot of changes to my 10, so it excells in the tight twisties...

And the desolate straights.But without those changes...my 10 would be like everyone elses 10.

My 10 has all the power that can be put down...at 5 MPH and continues with all that can be kept in control, up to my limit for the piece of road I'm on.

It doesn't wait to wake up.

The Generations that came after mine, have a problem...because The first generation was too touchy to control well, on the race tracks...and Kawasaki was making changes to calm them down...to get better finishes in the races.

But I don't use my bike like they do...The First generation is the one I want.

Post Edited (louemc) : 10/9/2011 1:40:31 AM GMT

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010

Posted 10/8/2011 8:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would love to have Checa's 1098. It's a true beast v-twin, lays waste to all the inlines. The Aprilla has a great sound but that's all it has, like a Harley, slower than growing grass but sounds super cool.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/9/2011 6:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
  I think you guys are being a bit harsh on the ol girl, shes 10 years old. You do realize that an rsvr thou held the track record at the Nurburgring for a while right? Plus that was the previous generation of big litre twins. The newest gen being plus 1000cc. 1200cc ducs are for guys who know how extract high performance out of very,very finicky race bikes,set up for road use,and sales. Comparatively to todays twins its a bit slow. But on the road, in a set of twistys,the power and handling combine for a good,hard to catch,dancing partner. No gimmicky tc,launch control,blah,blah,blah, here. Just torque,power,handling. Much like a good drink,it doesn't take alot of stuff. Just simple basic things,lots of useable power & torque,a chassis that accepts inputs and works with you.
  On the subject of the first gen zx10s,absolutely mental. Head shaking, tire spinning, animals. Men with big boy pants need only to apply,all others will leave brown racing stripes in their undies. Loads of personality in those beasts. I could feel a good road bike in there,it was only a mountain of cash thrown at suspension away. Power and delivery were right on imho. Urgent,strong,effortless power. It just needed its road manners cleaned up. The best part,again mho,was the sound. Induction roar,check. Exhaust howl,check. A very,very,addictive soundtrack. One that would get my licenses revoked. My insurance company,would be grinning ear to ear if I called and said,I need to insure my zed x 10 please.
 I have always wondered what kind of a bike a 1997 zx7rr with a 1st gen zx10r motor would be like. The power would be similar to wsbk levels,but with the zx7rrs sublime front end,I think a very good combo. Im a broke d!ck so I cant afford to do it,and I dont think any one else is going to do it so we will more than likely never know.       

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/9/2011 10:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agreed + a Jillion to the tenth Power.