Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2012 BMW S1000RR First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
34 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 10/20/2011 11:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Only two years since it released the class-leading S1000RR Superbike, BMW gives the 2012 S1000RR a technical update.

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/20/2011 11:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
unless beemer change the looks, i'm not willing to pay a penny over $10K for it. it's still as ugly as it was when it first came out imo with the dragon ball z character eyes and all.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/20/2011 12:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The looks are OK with me, but the "changes" aren't proven, or defined.

Until Racer Riders that aren't part of the marketing structure, say what they think about it....There is nothing to go on.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/20/2011 12:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It doesnt sound as if the tech is going to eclipse aprillas tech. If tech is what you want,you will go with the ape. Power,BMW has in spades,how effective you can use said power is up to you.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/20/2011 3:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
unless beemer change the looks, i'm not willing to pay a penny over $10K for it. 

Guess you're also not buying any new 600cc sportbikes either then!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/20/2011 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Way more info here:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/10/bmw-introduces-the-new-s-1000-rr/

Børk! Børk! Børk!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 10/20/2011 3:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very nice update. I found the first gen bike a breeze to just hop on and go fast. This is even better.

lou, I met an older gentleman who control rides with Motorcycle Xcitement whose track bike is a modded S1000RR. He won a road racing series of some sort on it and only rode with advanced/racer group. After engine work, exhaust, tune, race gas he claimed >190 HP at the rear wheel, which is effing retarded (in a fun way).

On looks, this bike really grew on me quick. So has the Aprilia. The ZX-10R...nope. In looks I'm not so picky anymore. I just don't want the thing to be outright offensive to my eyes. I don't see the thing when I'm on it (and if I do things right, no one else will be able to tell! lol)

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/20/2011 3:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
jon said...

unless beemer change the looks, i'm not willing to pay a penny over $10K for it.

Guess you're also not buying any new 600cc sportbikes either then!

no, i'm not willing pay 10k for any new 600cc either because several can bought for less than 10k and all of them look better than the crossed eyed beemer. might as well get the 750 for just a few dollars more for more bang if a 600 is considered.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/21/2011 10:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
Very nice update. I found the first gen bike a breeze to just hop on and go fast. This is even better.

lou, I met an older gentleman who control rides with Motorcycle Xcitement whose track bike is a modded S1000RR. He won a road racing series of some sort on it and only rode with advanced/racer group. After engine work, exhaust, tune, race gas he claimed >190 HP at the rear wheel, which is effing retarded (in a fun way).

Not sure what Your sayin here Soapster...Was this Modded S1000RR a 2012?
And Modded...of course a savvy racer gets improvement...that's no big trick...bikes don't come set-up for the track.

On the first sentence..."This is even better".  For who, doing what?  How do you know?

I have no doubt at all, it will be better for someone, in some way...but...until the broad range of owners, report in....We don't know how the changes work.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/21/2011 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
2011, not 2012

And I'd say the BMW with the full package of crap more or less comes set up for the track sans suspension being configured. Even if not (by your standards) you'd have to admit it's pretty much the closest a mass-produced bike has come to being track-ready out of the crate.

As for it being "better", I suppose I technically do not know. The full list of improvements, though, made it sound like they've rounded out rough edges with the electronics and made some other nice updates. Therefore, I assume better, much like I assume the ECU update on the '12 R1 is better than the '09-'11 (and from comparisons I've read it is...stock vs stock).

I suppose my reasoning behind mentioning the racer that uses the 2011 is that the updates are building upon that existing platform.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 10/21/2011 4:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Checa's 1098 made everything look slow at Miller. He had torque everywhere, power on demand at low RPM. He made the inlines look like scooters.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/22/2011 9:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
2011, not 2012

And I'd say the BMW with the full package of crap more or less comes set up for the track sans suspension being configured. Even if not (by your standards) you'd have to admit it's pretty much the closest a mass-produced bike has come to being track-ready out of the crate.

As for it being "better", I suppose I technically do not know. The full list of improvements, though, made it sound like they've rounded out rough edges with the electronics and made some other nice updates. Therefore, I assume better, much like I assume the ECU update on the '12 R1 is better than the '09-'11 (and from comparisons I've read it is...stock vs stock).

I suppose my reasoning behind mentioning the racer that uses the 2011 is that the updates are building upon that existing platform.

BMW raised the bar with their S1000RR, from the get-go.   Every qualified track tester said it was a race bike that came with lights and license plates...and even backed that up with track times that came closer to the times they got on real (like Ben Spies) bike, than any other Manufacturer did.

That also tossed a little spot light on what we call a "Race Replica"...the difference between what rolls off the show room floor....was as close to a race bike as the NASCAR  car is to Your Dads car.

What rolls off the Show room floor can be made into a race bike (but not a GP race bike), with enough money.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 10/22/2011 12:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Addicted to motorcycles, have a new 2012 ZX-14, green reserved. Will max out the old 14 for the strip. Have not seen the beemer on the street though, no clue why.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/22/2011 3:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I figured you meant track/amateur track bike, lou ;)

Indeed sportbikes would be wayyy too pricey if they were not just set up for track use but anywhere close to a GP bike. They'd have to start selling replacement motors for one lol

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 10/22/2011 5:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
Have not seen the beemer on the street though, no clue why.

i saw it twice on the road since it came out. in one occasion, the beemer belong to one of the riders on a group ride. not sure how many bmw have sold but haven't seen many on the road.

before my nephew bought his 1198, he and his buddy checked out the s1000rr first but bmw wanted the same out the door price as the 1198 so they both bought the 1198 instead because of the looks. they knew that the beemer performs better but the gap between the looks was just to wide for the beemer to overcome.

Post Edited (jon) : 10/23/2011 12:48:10 AM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/22/2011 8:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sales have been pretty strong for the S1000RR overall (or so I've read and heard). I've seen only about four in my area, though.

If my ultimate plan of doing mostly track only pulls through and I bought the Beemer it would probably never touch the street. I guess the '12 version is supposed to have better torque, but the first gen is not all that great of a street bike. It has the power delivery (more or less) of a 600. Massive upper end, weak low/low-mid (mediocre upper mid). My Beemer would be the track weapon it deserves to be.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 10/23/2011 12:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Race results would suggest that your R1 would be the better track bike with some track mods.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/23/2011 8:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Having spent time on both I can tell you I like the BMW. It's a good bike, it's light, has good top end power punch, easy to use (thanks in part to electronics I'm sure), etc. It's not a joy to ride like the R1 is, that's for sure. The pull from my bike is pretty insane, particularly post ECU reflash. Handling-wise I do prefer my R1, but that's a bit unfair. The BMW was not perfectly set up for me, had stock suspension (I have Ohlins), etc.

I'm not sure what more I can do to make my bike into more of a track bike...engine mods? Lightweight wheels? Electronics package (Bazzazz)? Maybe I'll consider doing more changes in the future. My mod list is already pretty good. Right now I'd rather spend money on the track days themselves! (Oh, and assuming my weight loss goal is met...a pretty new suit most likely...)

stenejohn
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 28

Posted 11/23/2011 8:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most of the guy like BMW because its different from other bikes.
and its design is unique and attractive.

whatever....I like BMW.

ATV Trader

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/23/2011 10:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Personally, I like it very much. As to looks/styling, it's not going to appeal to everyone for sure; looks are a very subjective thing. Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder, I always say! Not my original verse, but I like it so I use it! lol  But I do like the style.

As to performance, this machine appears to be a winner as well from what I have been able to gather so far. Andy just posted the thread about Ms. Valerie Thompson and what she was able to achieve on this machine out on the flats in joining the 200 MPH club, which is pretty darned impressive in itself, given that bike did not look very modded to me. Can't speak to handling characteristics, but others have reported good results.

Any way you look at it, this machine seems to be a winner. These are the kinds of machines that I just admire from afar; they are waaay out of my league right now

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/23/2011 2:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If it is living on the street, It should have a rider that is savvy enough to put street hande bars on it, though.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/23/2011 4:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Depends on your style of riding. A lot of the time I like clip-ons. Occasionally (usually when I get stuck behind a car or something along those lines) I'll wish I had higher bars. And since mine will be seeing much more track I definitely am in favor of the clip-ons.

That said, this bike would not be a good pick for a street bike IMO. The power distribution is way too top-end biased. I've been told the new ZX-10R is even worse and has zero low/mid. They're made for the circuit for sure.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 11/23/2011 6:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have has TT-Bars or Clubman Bars, or Clip-Ons on all of my bikes - and love it. I love the position and the direct feel.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/24/2011 9:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
Depends on your style of riding. A lot of the time I like clip-ons. Occasionally (usually when I get stuck behind a car or something along those lines) I'll wish I had higher bars. And since mine will be seeing much more track I definitely am in favor of the clip-ons.

That said, this bike would not be a good pick for a street bike IMO. The power distribution is way too top-end biased. I've been told the new ZX-10R is even worse and has zero low/mid. They're made for the circuit for sure.
Yes they are made for the track...that's where they have to show the best to be marketed as the best.

The track developement transfering to Max superior street hot rod, was around 2005.
Getting that light chassis, and high end suspension and brakes, and  un-calmed down power delivery.

Course that is for riders that want that...the ones that want to look like that but not have anything shockingly explosive happen are happier with all the computer managed softening controls.

But top end? So what if they have a top end not seen on the public road...They (at least mine) has a low end and everything up from low end...that nothing else has.
And I'll bet RedDog is as giddy about the power of his GIXXR as I am about my ZX-10.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/24/2011 8:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's not the top end power that is an issue on public roads, it's only having top end power. Having usable power throughout the rev range is much nicer for street use because you will not touch that top end on the street (as you mentioned). That's a big reason why I would pick my bike over the BMW every single time for street use.

Even with electronics the Beemer is an absolute rocket ship as the tach climbs. As it gets up to 10k and above it's a thrilling ride.