Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > 2012 BMW S1000RR First Look  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
34 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 11/24/2011 10:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou: "And I'll bet RedDog is as giddy about the power of his GIXXR as I am about my ZX-10."

Lou, you are soooo right. I love the way the power comes on my Gixxer. Lots of torque and very quick between 60-120.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/25/2011 11:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thesoapster said...
It's not the top end power that is an issue on public roads, it's only having top end power. Having usable power throughout the rev range is much nicer for street use because you will not touch that top end on the street (as you mentioned). That's a big reason why I would pick my bike over the BMW every single time for street use.

Even with electronics the Beemer is an absolute rocket ship as the tach climbs. As it gets up to 10k and above it's a thrilling ride.
There isn't any "it's only having top end power"...Statements like that make you sound like a crazy person...or a 12 year old that doesn't have any experience.

Good grief there are tons of street riders on 600's...Ya going to pull off a they have suitable for the street but A Liter Hasn't any low end power?   And...How do these imaginary no low end power bikes get off the starting grid?  Steam launch like from an aircraft carrier? lol

So pick Your bike over a BMW S1000RR...There are plenty of BMW S1000RR riders on the street that picked their bike over yours, and enjoy what BMW has done there in the whole package.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Latifa
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 9

Posted 11/25/2011 1:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice look i like it

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 11/25/2011 7:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lou, have you even ridden the BMW? What was the last 600 RR you rode, or 750? I've ridden several of each class. If you cannot figure out my use of saying "only having top end power" to mean it's only strong up top, I'm sorry. That's not mean to be taken literally. Having ridden middleweights on the street, yes, of course it can be done. They are inferior street bikes to twins and the more torquey 1000s (...like your bike). I'd have figured you'd be the one to understand what I'm referring to, but apparently not.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/26/2011 2:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
^^^ So You're going to stick with talking like a crazy person, or a 12 year old, with no experience, and skate with ...."it's not meant to be taken Literally", or it's up to the other person to figure out what Ya really mean when Ya say it wrong?

Sounds like a couple of the Presidental Candidates....lol

But...this issue really falls on the rider...Track Focused bikes can be tweeked to be awesome street bikes with a little gearing switch ...say -1 tooth in front  +3 in back, and street handle bars, etc...real easy, but it takes a savvy rider, or nothing gets done.

Bottom line...whether the bike is going to the track or the street, the rider has to know there is a huge difference between street requirements and track requirements, and prep their bike for where it actually is used.

Beats the crap out of whine-ing about shortcomings of the bike the rider doesn't lift a finger to address.

Prepping a Race Replica that is...If the rider is not the type, then they also just have no idea what they are buying, at purchase time...and won't do that right either.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/26/2011 9:29:58 PM GMT

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/27/2011 3:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wouldn't go out and buy a bike designed for the track with high HP figure and then destroy its top end by gearing it down significantly to make it ride like one of the less expensive literbikes on the market.

And I highly doubt I'm the first person who has said to you "X bike only has power here." That's a very common way of speaking about engines...

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/27/2011 3:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome to the club of "no discussion with Lou is complete without a juvenile putdown" Soap. rolleyes

While you've ridden the bikes you're discussing, your opinion means nothing apparently...as it varies a tiny bit from Lou's.

Note that your bike is every bit as fast as Lou's for street use, (Sport Rider got it through the 1/4 mile faster than Lou's bike), and on the track?

Your iteration of the R1 has had much racing success...latest US and World Superbike Champion just being the latest laurels...the '04 ZX10 in its time?

Not so much.

But Lou is correct in that any literbike of recent vintage is far from lacking in usable street power even at relatively low revs.

And as you well know, you can lose your license on any of them for exceeding triple digits...in second gear! lol

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/27/2011 5:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First gear on mine!! :p

Of course the S1000RR can be ridden on the street. We already covered that many people ride 600s/750s on the street (I rode middleweights before the R1), so naturally it can do it. The thing is most sportbike riders don't take their sportbikes to the track (quite the shame). There are so many other options in the liter class that would indeed be better for street riding. Of course it has power, it's just not there like with some of the other bikes. And there would be a lot less point in having the nice electronics in a street environment (maybe ABS if that's your thing). That's why I mentioned I'd love to have the S1000RR. I'm going to try and primarily ride track this next season and onward, so that bike would be quite the beast.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/19/2012 11:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks good to me & minor modifications can make it more comfortable the owner/rider, BUT he must have a maze of money which I do NOT have.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.