Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > XR1200  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Robbykinz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 10/30/2011 11:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yeah i got the xr1200, and i took off the pipes to hear what it sounds like. sounds awesome, seems to run good, and feels a little lighter. i just lose a bit of bottom end torque. my question is: do i really need a power commander or anything? people seem to throw straight pipes on Harleys all the time, but i haven't heard of any problems.

anyone?

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 10/31/2011 5:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you running without pipes at all, or just straight pipes with zero baffling? It's bad to run without any exhaust. If you switch to straight pipes from stock I recommend something like a Power Commander because you are drastically altering the amount of air that can flow through the system. It will run MUCH better with the Power Commander, and even better yet if you get a custom map tuned. May want to look at getting a higher flow air filter, also.

Robbykinz
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 11/4/2011 5:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thank you for your input sir. thats exactly what i thought! :)

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 11/10/2011 6:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you change the flow, you will need to change the mapping as the stock set up's parameters are too narrow for such an increase in flow.

I used a V&H PC on my Dyna when I changed out the pipes. Easy peasy.

Plus, it's really critical to do this with HDs as they run very lean stock in order to pass emmissions. If you just put on freer flowing pipes w/o richening the mixture, your bike will run too hot and that will result in a whole host of problems.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 12/19/2011 11:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robbykinz said...
yeah i got the xr1200, and i took off the pipes to hear what it sounds like. sounds awesome, seems to run good, and feels a little lighter. i just lose a bit of bottom end torque. my question is: do i really need a power commander or anything? people seem to throw straight pipes on Harleys all the time, but i haven't heard of any problems.

anyone?
Brief list of likely problems with pipes off your Harley;
*Angry neighbor jams large object into your body cavity.
*Angry landlord kicks you out.
*Angry dad hangs his foot in your wazzoo, and you're grounded.
*Po-Po writes you seven citations, and impounds yer scoot.
yeah

This is my opinion. There may be others like it, but this one's mine until further notice.