Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Chicken Strip or not to Chicken Strip  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 85

Posted 11/4/2011 12:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This was slowly getting brought up in another post but didn't really fit and I looked for some opions on it on here but couldn't find any. So I'll pose the question and see where it goes. Chicken strips, typically used to define how good, dumb, brave a rider is...is there a general rule to follow for size of strip?

I definitely don't know the answer as I've never been on the track (see previous postings) but my question is if you haven't been on the track, wouldn't you typically have larger strips? And this not necessarily being a bad thing in my opion because you never know what's around that corner or who the next jack @ss is that's going to pull out in front of you.

No where in here am I debating the benefits of going to the track so everyone who simply replies go to the track and get them off think outside the box. It seems to me that one that has never been on the track would probably have a larger strip but does not necessarily make them a poor rider. Just wanted to see what people thought about this...

Bullet
That guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 11/4/2011 4:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is as close as I got riding on the street. I have never been to a track and this was mostly from the canyon runs i'd do out in Utah. I would imagine that your strips would be bigger if you didn't have any twisties to get into and didn't have a track near you. As it stands now, I no longer have the Z1000 and live in flat N.E. Ohio. I will not own a sportbike if I can't push it in some curves. To each his/her own though and as long as you're riding....

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
325.JPG
  652KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 12954 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
324.JPG
  1.45Mb (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 17626 time(s).

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/4/2011 5:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice, Yeah we have some curves up here. It started to get brought up on another thread but didn't really want it to go down that route. I'm a newer rider (3rd current season), but getting there. Definitely have done some improving this season over others in the past due to pure accessability to my bike, the first two I barely rode the thing due to where it was and where I lived. Love the twistys but gotta know the road, calculated risk is how I describe riding often, whether it be testing out the raw speed or dipping into corners. You got to know the road and have to calculate the risk associated with it. After all if you F up you're not going to be riding at all, so part of me doesn't mine going at my own pace and if you wanna fly like a bat out of hell then enjoy. Obviously to improve you need to push a little and the track is clearly the best place for that. Thanks for your pics tho, its good to compare to see where I should try and get.

Drunkula
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 539

Posted 11/4/2011 5:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know people that have no chicken strips despite never being on a track.  I still do have strips on my bike but I haven't hit any twisties since the new back tire has been put on.  Even so on the last track outing I did I almost got rid of all the strips.  The Michelin man was mostly scrubbed off.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 11/4/2011 6:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some people renamed them from Chicken Strips to Safety Strips ... if crap happens, you can easy lean more if needed.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Post Edited (RedDog) : 11/4/2011 2:18:52 PM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 11/4/2011 7:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have never done any track time. But I normally wear my tires to the point shown by the rider above. The only strips left on my tires are the ones at the very edges of the tires, and those are worn down nubs maybe half their normal length. I live in east central Wisconsin and we do have some curves around but nothing major, just depends on what you do with them.

Oh, and I ride a BMW R1100RS with saddlebags, hardly a sport-bike, but again it depends more on what you do with it than what you ride. I have seen many a Ducati around here where the outer third of the rear tire on each side shows NO wear at all. Hmm,....poser maybe?

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 11/8/2011 11:05:00 PM GMT

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 11/4/2011 11:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I was close to the Michelin Man Drunkula. My objective was to hit it but then I realized that on the street, that's alot of lean and I wasn't prepared to go that far on the edge up in a canyon.

Lots of posers around where I live Andy. Blazing fast in a straight line but i'd love to see them up in a canyon.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/4/2011 12:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Back when this forum started, not this one, but the one before that is lost to the transition, we also had a Chicken Strip discussion. I posted some pics of my rear tire that normally has no strips left. It's the awesome AR roads, it's normal.

So I was OK with that until I met a fellow rider on a RC51 that had no Chicken Strips on the front tire, completed in the AR Gap or in our Serpent.

No competition. Ride your own ride.

RedDog

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 11/4/2011 12:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The concept of some segment of the riding frat house, judging and labeling...is giving strenth to nitwits.

The street does not have the safety of a track made and maintained for racing. So just get that non-sense out of your head.

Tire makers do not make a tire for you as an individual...they make tires in types and sizes.
How you use them is your task of judgement of your skills on the road you are on.

So called "chicken strips" doen't mean squat...They can be removed in a parking lot, scuffing in your tires.  And current tires made for R6's don't need scuffing anyway...You need to be aware of your tire pressures, and road conditions, and what you have been doing to "heat" your tires, though.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/4/2011 7:17:12 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/4/2011 12:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ditto.

Just like "touching the tarmac in a corner", "knee down ...", etc.
Ride safe and have fun.

RedDog

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/4/2011 1:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have three bikes and the "strips" look a little different depending on the bike.

DRZ400SM, no strip to speak of on the rear but a similar strip to the picture above on the front.

F800ST and TL1000S have similar strips front and rear to the picture above.

I do live and ride in an area where bumpy, tight backroad twisties, often with hairpin turns in the hills are less than 10 minutes from the house.

I lived in Miami and am sure if I had these bikes there the strips would be far wider.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/4/2011 3:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For whatever reason I didn't get sent these as an email as in the other threads, but thanks for the posts guys. I guess I'm hearing a lot of what I said originally about riding where you're comfortable, but you got to strive to get better. Obviously as safely as possible. Gotta get my @ss to the track tho so I can finally learn how to really ride this bike I guess. Time to suck it up CHAP!!! Haha.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/4/2011 3:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll be honest, I guess I have some ways to go…I just measured and I have a full freaking inch…man I suck…I love riding, I just don't whip that thing around yet I guess. It truly was my first season of riding, but clearly I have a long ways to go. Going to do some riding with a more experienced rider next week, maybe learn some new things. I'm not a straight-line speed guy like the Busa's (no offense if you have one, completely stereotyping) but I just need to ride and quit being a little B about it, just want to get comfortable on that damn thing!

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/4/2011 3:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is assuming I measured the right spots, I did where the above picture showed. Definitely no where near the brand name, thats for damn sure, but I can definitely tell this was a better riding season, and since I just started 3 years ago ever riding I guess I have to be patient and just continue to get better.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/4/2011 3:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don't sweat the chicken strips; Soapster will be able to tell pretty darned quickly if you have a good handle on countersteering and cornering...on the street that means slow in, fast out, late apex...which is not what you do on the track at all.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 11/4/2011 4:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As Lou says, "chicken strips" don't really mean that much. That said, though, I admit I will check out the "strips" on other bikes. Saw a KTM 690 Duke recently--it's a bike I really like, so I checked it out, and I noticed the rear tires were pretty much worn flat across the centre and virtually unworn toward the edges (and this bike is local, I've seen it before, up where the twisty roads are). Now, I've seen this wear pattern on cruisers and touring bikes, but IMO it's sacrilege on a bike like the 690 Duke...

My own bike...well, my rear tires are generally used right to the edge, but the centre always wears out first (never "flat-spotted," though). Fronts usually have maybe 1/4" unused on the edge, but the "shoulders" tend to wear faster than the centre.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 11/4/2011 4:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ChapR6s said...
Just wanted to see what people thought about this...
I think that anybody who worrys about this..........even just enough to discuss it..........needs to get a different perspective.

I ride MY ride; the strips end up where they do.

Track racing is a whole different thing.

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/4/2011 7:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So because I brought up a topic in a "forum" I should have a different perspective? Hmmm...

Explain further? I'm interested in your thoughts?

I never mentioned "track racing" I just mentioned track days which clearly I'd be at a beginner level=no racing. Lots of learning.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/4/2011 8:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Point is you don't need to worry about your Chicken Strips. Just ride you own ride.

We have many riders coming to these awesome roads of Arkansas. Some thought it was great to lean over so
much that they could touch the asphalt. Stupid act and for some it resulted in fried nice gloves, now with holes.

Knee down is another. Some is so focused on that, that they end up in the ditch, no joke.

So, no worries about CS. Take it as it comes with your riding style.

RedDog

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/5/2011 4:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got it. Thanks bro!

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/5/2011 7:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's good Chap!

Wife and I are quite dedicated to motorcycling. She, here Momma Hen, heads the MAST classes (MC Accident Scene Training). We're training 1st responders including the police, MSF Rider Coaches, bikers and riders to know what to do when an accident happens. Besides helping her with MAST, I am also a MSF Rider Coach. Before that we used to take new riders out on the real street and show them the safe line.

Wife and I have over 600,000 miles on sportbike/cafe racer motorcycles. Long trips in 3 continents, 2Up, and also many miles on different tracks including some races. This was just a short presentation. You have riders on this site with long and interesting MC background - ready to give advice.

Take care, ride your own ride!

RedDog

ChapR6s
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011

Posted 11/5/2011 7:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks again! I'm an LEO myself so I've seen the good the bad the ugly. Just want to get better.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 11/5/2011 7:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ChapR6s said...
So because I brought up a topic in a "forum" I should have a different perspective? Hmmm...

Explain further? I'm interested in your thoughts?
The original, and most common, use of the term is an insult......from some "street racer" who thinks he is hot $hit toward someone with a more conservative riding style.

Critisizing another rider because he values safety more than a speed rush is just being an ass.
And doing that based on tire wear is just being a dumb ass.

That's my opinion of people who use the term in that way, NOT necessarily of someone who asks about it in a forum (you).

So, lets tackle this a different way.  The "safety strips", or lack of them, on a rear tire indicates different riding styles.  It does not necessarily indicate skill level.  Some with narrow or no strips are not highly skilled but just more daring and lucky........or they aren't skilled at all but "push the bike down" into turns, making it lean more than it needs to.

By now I've lost track of the original post......so what was it you were looking for in the first place.....I forgot, or didn't understand maybe.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/5/2011 7:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well said ER2!

Chap: Yep, we have trained LEOs instructor's down here. Quite interesting doing the log roll with loaded guns - and or trying
to take it off. But, that's another story.

RedDog

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 11/5/2011 8:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wait, you're a LEO, Chap? You never mentioned this!!! J/K, I do not care :) (I like the cops around here for the most part)

A lot of roads do not allow for decent corner speeds by their design (mostly due to poor visibility...or poor road condition!). It does not make them less fun per se, but it's stupid to try and push one's self when a given corner cannot be seen through or predicted. I had a friend who I could ride just as fast as (if not maybe faster), but a lot of the time I wouldn't allow myself to. He would frequently leave me behind. I don't think he's touched any of his bikes since an incident involving entering a corner too hot, target fixating, and then wound up with him hitting a guard rail and landing in a creek. He suffered a mild concussion and broken wrist. I try to make the most of backroad country road riding, but at the same time try to be sensible.

That said, with all the corners you cannot push it through, there are some turns (ones I've mainly just gotten to know from riding many times) that can be properly read. I don't try to push myself to lean further or anything silly like that now. That's actually the wrong way to go about it. I focus more on setting up the corner and actually checking the corner for potential hazards (gravel, dead animals, and all that fun stuff). Once I have a line chosen and my body is in position (I do not ride straight up and down with the bike as it feels unnatural to me by now) I just take it in a controlled, smooth manner. This different approach instead of being obsessed with the wear marks on the edges to begin with is what ironically lead to eliminating the edge.

Tuesday there are some roads we should hit that are good practice. Mix of high speed corners and low speed (and all in between). No pressure, just working at your own pace.

Post Edited (thesoapster) : 11/5/2011 3:15:20 PM GMT