Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Easily the most bad*** custom crossplane R1  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

thesoapster
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 11/10/2011 8:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The thread - www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320149

Post with all final pictures - www.r1-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5024257&postcount=220

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 11/10/2011 8:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The passage for the chain. is really really sweet. nice.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/10/2011 10:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hm? Pretty easy to remove the chain guard and front sprocket cover. Not as easy (or cheap...) to get that carbon fiber rear fender the chain passes under!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/18/2011 2:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Great stuff, Soapster. What a machine! All that carbon Fibre makes me giddy! I read in the thread that an "under-the-seat" tank was used. I am going to show a little ignorance here and hope you can shed a little light. Is this how they set up all race bikes, or just certain types like MotoGP prototypes? I can only guess that relocating the fuel tank to under the seat shifts CG in a most favorable way, which in my mind has to be the prime reason for doing so. In Isle of Mann TT competition, they make pit stops and re-fuel the bike in a conventional looking manner. But that could just be a filler neck that leads to an under-seat tank.

At any rate, that is one beautiful bike. And the fact that the guy gets to run at places like Brno, Jerez, etc... I'm jealous! Thanks for sharing.  

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/18/2011 9:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Under the seat fuel is the norm for many race bikes. The space where the tank goes on stock bikes has the airbox (naturally) and apparently the add-on electronics are stuffed in there.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/21/2011 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. I think I have lost count of how many times I have looked at those pictures! :-)

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 11/27/2011 2:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I will say that the underseat fuel tank on my F800ST makes it far more flickable than the K75S ST it replaced; had no idea race bikes had under the seat fuel tanks.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 11/27/2011 5:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, I don't think all classes necessarily run them (some may not be allowed). Ben Spies' WSBK R1 had it (like the bike I linked in the OP) but I think some of the other WSBK bikes may have not. The MotoGP class, depending on manufacturer, seems to utilize under-seat and also maybe some of the space just in front of the rider (at waist height). I certainly agree with you there would be an advantage to having it.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/19/2012 11:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

One has to wonder if said petrol tank under the saddle is only good for riding around town or is it large enough, in capacity to give one a 5 to 7 hr ride with just one stop to fuel up?

Price, to me will be staggering I must admit, for some yrs ago we use to modify so many of our British irons for road racing & then liked some of the modifications to also swing the move to our street/hwy bikes & yes they were costly then , but this move is staggering in price I feel, but the builder can prove that I am so wrong at the end of the bike/modifications.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/19/2012 3:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On this build the price is pretty nuts. Just look at all the carbon fiber!