Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Underseat Exhaust VS Side Exhaust  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
44 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 12/18/2011 6:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kris said...
I was more curious about whether an exhaust that has a lower center of gravity affects cornering more or less than an exhaust that is mounted higher and in a more central position.

AFAIK, the main disadvantage to an underseat exhaust is the proximity of heat to the passenger seat. If that's not a problem, I don't see where a "side-mounted" would be measurably better for weight placement than an underseat exhaust.

The best place for the exhaust--from a handling standpoint--is underneath the engine, as Erik Buell has been doing since the 80s. Note that some of the major players have started doing this now also (the "stubby" exhausts on some GSX-Rs, for example, are pretty close to being underneath). But the truth is that most of us would never notice the difference, from a handling standpoint--certainly not on the street.

Kris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 23

Posted 12/18/2011 9:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well this thread definitely took on a life of its own. I appreciate all the replies and opinions. I still have not made up my mind because I am very indecisive, but I am sure someday I will. Thanks again.

Kris

luiggispeed
My other bike is a Les Paul!!!

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 1802

Posted 12/27/2011 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know what Kris?

Get the first bike that comes to you at a good price, regardless of exhaust location. Start riding ASAP never postpone your riding!

I rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle

Kris
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 12/27/2011 11:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
luiggispeed said...
You know what Kris?

Get the first bike that comes to you at a good price, regardless of exhaust location. Start riding ASAP never postpone your riding!

Best advice yet. Will do.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/28/2011 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good advice, but some test rides, if possible would be adequate.

Ride on!

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Kris
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 12/28/2011 5:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was thinking of renting a couple of bikes to get the feel for a sport bike or a more upright street bike. I just don't want to throw money at something that I am unsure of. That would blow :) Either that or ride my friends CBR 600RR and maybe get insurance for the day so that I am covered.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/28/2011 5:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And/or got to a dealer/MC show and do some demo rides and at least sit on and get a good feel for the bikes you have in your radar.

RedDog

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 12/29/2011 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, at 6' 2" you will certainly be more cramped on a Supersport than on something like the new Kawasaki 650r just tested by motorcycle USA.

Here's a picture of it and a link to the test:

forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=43&m=524552

The good news is that the 600rr your buddy has for you to test ride was ranked the most comfortable in the most recent shootout of SuperSport models by Motorcycle USA...of course, the tallest tester was 6' 0".

www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/10197/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Supersport-Shootout-Track-Conclusion.aspx

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/29/2011 1:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ is correct.

I happen to be the same height (6'2") and I do not like the more cramped position I get on an R6 or CBR600RR. The GSX-R600/750 is differently better - but the GSX-R1000 is just awesome for me. No pain.

RedDog

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/5/2012 1:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kris, if you're still looking and reading, there is one aesthetic issue with undertail exhausts, and that is the impossible addition of a cleanup "undertail kit" that many sport enthusiasts put on their bikes with side exit exhaust systems. Yes it's purely looks for the most part and in some locations likely not street legal, but it is prevalent or at least very popular. As to the heat, Ask any VFR rider how hot the seat gets...it doesn't.

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 1/5/2012 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kris said...
I was thinking of renting a couple of bikes to get the feel for a sport bike or a more upright street bike. I just don't want to throw money at something that I am unsure of. That would blow :) Either that or ride my friends CBR 600RR and maybe get insurance for the day so that I am covered.
Not a bad idea at all, Kris. Some of these bikes will surprise you in that you think they are going to feel a certain way but that is not how it turns out! I just bought in June and I went through quite a process; it was kind of a strange journey really! Didn't take a long time; just some strange turns. Mainly because I couldn't pin down what it was I really wanted; I had a general idea and a fixed set of mission requirements, so that trimmed the field considerably straight away.

But then I started trying stuff "from the short list" and I was surprised more than once by how a bike actually felt as opposed to my perception of how it would feel. And then one day, on a whim, WHAM! I found the one and it was a bike I hadn't even considered. Oddly enough, the exhaust placement was never a thought for me outside of aesthetics. I liked it and it was nice and quiet. So that's my take on exhaust! Eye of the beholder.

SO at the end of the day I didn't agonize over it but I did take the time to try different things and learn. That's what worked for me. Good luck to you!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 922

Posted 1/10/2012 2:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, I wanna get in on this thread too! smilewinkgrin

I own and like both. I think both styles can look great tho I'm still getting used to the stubbies on some of the newer bikes.

Let's start with my lovely Duc with underseat:

And look at this! Ducati even thought side mount can look good too. My old S4R with side mount:

Oh, and since someone mentioned Triumph.... my lovely Daytona (w/Buell footpegs for my 35" inseam) and it's cf side mount:

IMO it's all about personal preference. Good luck and have fun, Multi Moto Marko

My Ride Reports

Post Edited (AK Duc) : 1/10/2012 10:06:56 AM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 1/10/2012 12:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AK, your bikes are insanely clean.

But then again, you've got all winter in Alaska to shower love on them!

You'd be a perfect guy to buy a used bike from is my guess.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/10/2012 2:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Especially insanely clean, if you saw what the cars in Los Anchorage, look like in the winter.

No one, But NO One washes a car/truck/bus up there, with the ice/snow/sand/slush streets, in the winter.

GAJ said...
AK, your bikes are insanely clean.

But then again, you've got all winter in Alaska to shower love on them!

You'd be a perfect guy to buy a used bike from is my guess.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/10/2012 3:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yep, what Lou said! smilewinkgrin

My Superbabies get to hibernate for the winters in a spare bedroom.

Got the KLR for the more "dirty fun." Mark H.

My Ride Reports

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 1/10/2012 4:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So the poor new Harley doesn't enjoy the bedroom treatment!

AK Duc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 1/10/2012 7:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
So the poor new Harley doesn't enjoy the bedroom treatment!

Nope. It's out in the semi-heated garage.

Lemme tell you tho, I've NEVER gone out and sat on ANY bike so much as I have that thing! Yep, just like a barcalounger. :p

Mellow Mellow Marko

My Ride Reports

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/11/2012 9:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Humm, I was expecting the Harley to have it's own Bedroom.

In fact, I'd expect a Euro bedroom, a USA bedroom, a Japanese bedroom.

I'm expecting work to get started on this, now   yeah  lol

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 1/11/2012 10:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mark, you are one well-equipped guy! A bike for every purpose; that is the way to do it, Sir! Of course, I'm with Lou on the living arrangements for these fine machines. Think about it; your house would have different "bike" rooms, each having it's own unique theme. I like it! smilewinkgrin

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe