Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > Sportrider's honest test of the Honda CB1000R  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/11/2012 2:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_1112_2011_honda_cb1000r_full_test/index.html
This is the first test I've read by a US rag that actually criticizes this bike.
I've read similar comments from the Euros but thought that maybe the bike had been 'improved' for the US market.
Basically they love the canyon handling, but are disappointed with the suspension, surging fueling, comfort and higher speed instability.
Some of it would seem to be relatively easy to fix - an aftermarket FI controller, a steering damper, new springs but it still seems to be a bit of a disappointment given the time it has taken this bike to get to the US, and the quality of its competition.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/12/2012 9:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

One part of me is saying 'If I paid that much for a bike (an unlikely event) I wouldn't expect to have to fix it so it worked properly.'

And then I remember the crappy old bikes we rode in the sixties, such as the slow, vibratory and woefully underbraked 350 Triumph I owned, and I'm thinking 'These guys should ride a Tiger90, then they would really have something to bitch about.'

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/12/2012 11:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why you wouldn't buy a Street Triple R for that money is beyond me.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/12/2012 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...

Indeed.

The problem I have with the instability issues on the freeway is that it shows something is seriously off with the chassis.  The steering damper fix just masks it.  Most bikes that use steering dampers have them because they are needed for extreme circumstances i.e. track use, where the bike is used near to its maximum capability or extreme road use.

Cruising down a freeway is not that.

Which makes one think that Honda used such a de-tuned motor (the donor bike it came from made about 30 hp more) because the chassis cannot handle anymore.

All Honda had to do was take the fairing off the real CBR1000RR, put on higher bars and have at it...
Instead we get this.  Surgy, unstable, weak motor and suspension.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 1/12/2012 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MotoUSA ranked it last in their most recent "Streetfighter" shootout.

They also did a recent article on low cost upgrades to the CB1000R and curiously it was tires and a slip on...nothing suspension wise.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/12/2012 2:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
They also did a recent article on low cost upgrades to the CB1000R and curiously it was tires and a slip on...nothing suspension wise.

Well, that is what they sell on this site.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 1/12/2012 2:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
GAJ said...

Indeed.

The problem I have with the instability issues on the freeway is that it shows something is seriously off with the chassis.  The steering damper fix just masks it.  Most bikes that use steering dampers have them because they are needed for extreme circumstances i.e. track use, where the bike is used near to its maximum capability or extreme road use.

Cruising down a freeway is not that.

Which makes one think that Honda used such a de-tuned motor (the donor bike it came from made about 30 hp more) because the chassis cannot handle anymore.

All Honda had to do was take the fairing off the real CBR1000RR, put on higher bars and have at it...
Instead we get this.  Surgy, unstable, weak motor and suspension.

Honda (or anyone else at this time) isn't going to put the Awesome Awesomeness of their liter race replica on the show room floor, with higher bars....But any savvy rider (OK I know that thins the herd)  can do it themselves...
all they have to need is the smarts to know why they are doing it.

Euro manufacturers are getting with the program...Aprilia ... Ducati..BMW and maybe KTM,

But none of them can come close to my Prepped  05 ZX-10.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 1/12/2012 4:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The CB 1000 is probably the first really bad bike to come off Honda's  production line since the Rune. All looks (and that is contentious) and ill mannered. There's a new, fully modernized, state of the art factory in Kamamatsu being run by some dweebs with bad imaginations and very poor insight on the real world.

Bet my senior DSM would crap a brick if he heard me say that. But y'know, truth hurts.yeah

I never get lost, there's always lots of people telling me where to go!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/12/2012 5:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That MV Agusta Brutale 1090R is looking all sorts of sweet right about now..

Add the Aprilia Tuono APRC V4, the new Triumph Speed Triple R and the Duc Streetfighter and it really is the Euros showing how it should be done if you're looking for a turnkey solution.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 1/12/2012 10:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
in terms of the nakked models available now, the z1000 is the best overall value at $8-9k brand new.