Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Sportbike > zzr600 performance upgrade  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

baxsom
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/21/2003 5:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just turned 3000 miles on my new ZZR600 and I am looking to upgrade the performance a little.  I know it is not the 6R and is more of a "sport-touring" bike but I would like to get a little more low end power out of it.  I installed a K&N air filter and that helped a little but now I'd like to change the exhaust (there are two cans).
Any suggestions anyone?
thanks

Image Attachment :
mybike.jpg
mybike.jpg   169KB (image/pjpeg)

ECeptor
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 3234

Posted 5/22/2003 6:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
baxom,

This is a common question so excuse me while I get on my soapbox.

My advice to anyone wanting to improve the power performance of any modern streetbike is to take the money they are thinking of spending on an exhaust/jet kit/power commander/etc. and invest it and then upgrade the whole bike in a few years.  For the money, it's far better to upgrade the whole machine and get the benefits of the manufacturers development investment. 

Also, anyone wanting to boost power in a 600 should look at a 750.  Anyone looking to boost the power of a 750 should look at a 1000.  Anyone looking to boost the power of a modern 1000 sport bike is nuts (145hp at the rear wheel for a 400lb bike isn't *enough*???).

Ok...back to the question.  We've talked a lot about this and there seems to be more than a few of us who believe the best thing you can do is leave the stock pipe on and have the carbs jetted by a technician who knows what they are doing and who will validate their results on a dyno.  I personally have never gone this route (I'm a fan of stock machines), but some of the others have.  IMHO, the only reason to spend the $$$ on a new exhaust is for better sound level and quality or asthetics.

Again, sorry for the rant, but this subject seems to get kicked around alot.

ECeptor

zx7rrpilot
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 206

Posted 5/22/2003 10:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go up a couple teeth on your rear sprocket, it will give you a little bit more low end punch ...

VIEW IMAGEno compromise ...

Joss
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2039

Posted 5/22/2003 12:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tend to agree with ECeptor. Today's sportbikes are designed and constructed pretty much past the point of us dabblers to make engine power improvements just by changing parts. It is tempting to think we can... but you have more of a chance of hurting than you do helping. And, without a dyno... you can screw it up pretty good. Then again, even if you put the money in and succeed... you could have just bought the ZX-6R and had it to start with.

Areas that you often really can make improvements over stock, though, are tires and suspension. There are REALLY good, though expensive, aftermarket suspension parts. Stock parts often suck. Same with tires.

Used to be SLC

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 5/22/2003 5:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with zx7rrpilot - sometimes it's not about tweaking the engine, but tweaking the GEARING - changing the sprocket at the rear wheel is an effective way to do this (no tearing apart the carbs, rejetting or any of that sort of thing required).

Just be sure and get everything back together with proper alignment and tension... long as you're doing this, might be good to get a new chain and put it on, and check the front sprocket for wear (replace if necessary) if it's an older bike. Since yours is new, you probably won't have to do either of these however.

Oh yah... depending on what you did (up a tooth or two) the bike might have a greater tendency to loft the front wheel. So go easy on those first few test rides, figure out how much the 'temperament' has changed.

Looking cool when the bike's standing still is one thing.
Looking like you know what you're doing when it's in motion, aye, that's the trick, innit?

baxsom
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/23/2003 1:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks for the input

changing the rear sprocket seems like the best idea for what i want. i am more than ok with the top end.  (too timid to go much more than 100 and that was only once just dont see the point)
but a little better take off is all i am after
any suggestions on rear sprocket teeth #

Deewian
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/19/2011 8:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you want to change the exhausts for better sound/performance Delkevic offers simple slip-ons that fit with 04 zzr600.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 9/19/2011 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Holy Crap...a thread from 03 is resurrected? It's a Miracle.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Drunkula
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 539

Posted 9/20/2011 6:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is quite a resurrection!

thesoapster
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1408

Posted 9/20/2011 5:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had just finished my Freshman year of high school when this thread was made lol

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 9/20/2011 11:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Comeback of the century!!!

this is not here

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/23/2011 4:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do know of another hot riding rider that loves to upgrade his bikes, but is dead set against a K&N air filter.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.