Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > 2006 Harley-Davidson line-up  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
51 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 7/27/2005 5:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check out the Dukester's 2006 Harley-Davidson line-up article and let us know if you talk hawg.

Damn it, where'd Duke go now?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 7/27/2005 10:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, I like the bikes, but the names? Night Rod, Street Bob? Together they sound like part of the cast of a skin flick...
(and yeah, I would know!)

I want to leave this planet the way I entered it, being held upside down naked and spanked by a nurse.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 7/27/2005 11:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I love the look of that street bob. They could of came up with a better name, but meh, oh well. I still dig it. That bike just sings what I want out of a cruiser.

No rear seat so I don’t have to worry about sombody talking to me and screwing up my otherwise enjoyable rides alone. Nice tall handlebars that give off that cool look without going overboard in height. And that matte black paint job seals the deal. There are only a few other things I'd do to that bike in order to make it just how I like it.

It's motorcycles like this that make people like me hesitate to consider anything else.

My Sig

Kenny
MCUSA - Editorial Director

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 484

Posted 7/28/2005 8:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hear yee, hear yee: I. Kenneth of the clan Oregon have update the 2006 H-D intro article with some wonderful images of the Duke of Danger in action on the latest Hogs so, go take a look at the new bikes in action.

Damn it, where'd Duke go now?

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 7/28/2005 9:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lookin' mean on the Street Bob.

You know, the more I look at the modifications to the HD's I think the best thing they did (besides redo the dyna's) was upping the width on the rear tires. They didn't go insane, but those 200's look great. They make the stock bikes look mean. I think the '06 updates are alot better than the '05 changes. :)

1KPerDay
The Avocado of Death

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 5481

Posted 7/28/2005 9:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
Ok, I like the bikes, but the names? Night Rod, Street Bob? Together they sound like part of the cast of a skin flick...
(and yeah, I would know!)

lol roll lol

Us imperialist types are likeing bigger bikes. you r really humor! That one is really for kids, someone say: the easiest way to make money is from kid and women's pocket.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/28/2005 10:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dookie fails to mention the new model intended purely for the LA market, the FXDXWGAG AstroGlide. It makes it easier on the prospective owners when the dealers bend them over with the mark-ups...

I want to leave this planet the way I entered it, being held upside down naked and spanked by a nurse.

1KPerDay
The Avocado of Death

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 5481

Posted 7/28/2005 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BAAAAH HAAAAA!

Us imperialist types are likeing bigger bikes. you r really humor! That one is really for kids, someone say: the easiest way to make money is from kid and women's pocket.

intechpc
2001 FXDX - MSF Certified

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 1028

Posted 7/28/2005 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
Dookie fails to mention the new model intended purely for the LA market, the FXDXWGAG AstroGlide. It makes it easier on the prospective owners when the dealers bend them over with the mark-ups...

ROTFLOL!!!!

2001 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide Sport (FXDX)
Jet and Breather kit
Sampson Street Sweeper Exhaust
HD Sissy Bar and Big Bag Saddle bags

Kevin Duke
Rubber-side Down

Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 1521

Posted 7/28/2005 3:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, Desmolicious, you get to say things I wish I could...

-KD, MCUSA Editor

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8211

Posted 7/28/2005 4:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh look, some more Harleys that look almost identical to the existing models. Lines like " a keen eye will notice new battery covers" sums it up for me; plus ca change, plus de la meme chose. I dont think I'll be banging down the doors of the dealers to get an eyeful of the new battery covers anytime soon.

The secret passion of the stormtrooper, revealed at last.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/28/2005 7:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ianisyou, really Harleys' aren't your cup o' tea anyway? For those that like the Harley type of bikes little things do matter. The fact that they do NOT change dramatically (only incrementally) is what makes them appealing to many. You get a bike that has the traditional, ageless look. Unlike Japanese bikes, they will not look outdated the moment a new model comes out because obsolesence has already been built into them. Genius really.
As the French say, they have that certain, I do not know what....

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/28/2005 9:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I cannot deny I'm no fan of cruisers, but even they should not be barred from the march of progress. Is there any good reason why they are still so heavy and have such lousy brakes? You can still have that "classic" look without ignoring the benefits of the 21st century. I mean really, they make such a big issue of having a 6 speed box when 50cc bikes have had those for the last 30 years! When Harley do try to produce something modern(ish) like the V-Rod, the traditionalists shout it down as not being a 'proper' Harley. Heaven forbid they should make something with (shock, horror) water cooling and adequate performance!!

Incidentally, I don't just blame HD for this; the clones are just as bad. The only exceptions to this are BMW and Triumph, who at least had the balls to tread new ground and try to break out of the hidebound traditionalism that has stunted development in the cruiser market.

The day that Harley, or any of the clone manufacturers, comes up with a genuinely modern cruiser will be the day I actually take them seriously. Until that day I refuse to fantasise about new battery covers.

1Hawk
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 2013

Posted 7/28/2005 11:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...
I cannot deny I'm no fan of cruisers, but even they should not be barred from the march of progress. Is there any good reason why they are still so heavy and have such lousy brakes? You can still have that "classic" look without ignoring the benefits of the 21st century. I mean really, they make such a big issue of having a 6 speed box when 50cc bikes have had those for the last 30 years! When Harley do try to produce something modern(ish) like the V-Rod, the traditionalists shout it down as not being a 'proper' Harley. Heaven forbid they should make something with (shock, horror) water cooling and adequate performance!!

Incidentally, I don't just blame HD for this; the clones are just as bad. The only exceptions to this are BMW and Triumph, who at least had the balls to tread new ground and try to break out of the hidebound traditionalism that has stunted development in the cruiser market.

The day that Harley, or any of the clone manufacturers, comes up with a genuinely modern cruiser will be the day I actually take them seriously. Until that day I refuse to fantasise about new battery covers.

Well, considering the V-Rod and I think there was a bagger in that Cycle World 60-0 test posted here someplace, blew off most of the sportbikes in the braking test I'd say the lousy brakes thing is a non issue.

Hawk

RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 3698

Posted 7/29/2005 5:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not a fan of sportbikes, but I don't go into sportbike forums and blast them for being uncruiser-like.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
Buddha

anrfknm
vroc #13815 - rolling blunder #182

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2727

Posted 7/29/2005 6:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yes rb, but you could if ya wanted. right?

What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance.

Thomas Jefferson

RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 3698

Posted 7/29/2005 7:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I wanted to, I could. I wouldn't be surprized if they called me a dumb-a$$ doing it.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
Buddha

intechpc

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/29/2005 8:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ianisme said...

So what are you saying, the manufacturers should say screw what our customers say they want, we're going to build the bikes the way we want???  That's a brilliant business plan.  Harley's success is based on a HUGE base of loyalist customers, why would you ignore what they want.

Hawk already covered the braking issue (however the brakes on my FXDX fit right in there too). I don't want a water cooled motor.  Could it add some performance benefit, maybe, but it also adds a ton of complexity to the motor that just isn't needed.  Harely has done very well with their air cooled twins so why change that?

The six speed is a big deal because it's something riders have been asking for in the last few years and Harley has answered the call.  Sure the technology has been around a long time, there are plenty of aftermarket trans you can add to existing Harleys if you want the 6th speed.  What's cool is now it's a standard factory installed feature.  And for the record, there are plenty of metric cruisers that still don't come with a 6-speed either.

Jet and Breather kit

Post Edited (intechpc) : 7/29/2005 3:20:23 PM GMT

intechpc

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/29/2005 8:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
Ianisyou, really Harleys' aren't your cup o' tea anyway? For those that like the Harley type of bikes little things do matter. The fact that they do NOT change dramatically (only incrementally) is what makes them appealing to many. You get a bike that has the traditional, ageless look. Unlike Japanese bikes, they will not look outdated the moment a new model comes out because obsolesence has already been built into them. Genius really.
As the French say, they have that certain, I do not know what....

A HUGE benefit of this is the backward compatibility of their parts.  There are a number of newly designed parts for 2006 that thanks to Harley's method of not changing what works will also fit on my 01 Dyna.  These parts include both accessories (i.e. Chromies) and engine improvements as well.  On key example is the new Automatic Primary Chain tensioner they have added to the new TC88's.  The part will fit any Evo or TC powered bike going back to the 85 model year.  Buy a Honyamakowzuki and you are not afforded this luxury of being able to upgrade deficiencies with future improvements.

Jet and Breather kit

ianisme
Typical Bloody Brit!

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/29/2005 7:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Apart from the V-Rod, which HD has got modern brakes? Or modern handling and roadholding? Which one has had the benefit of a weight reduction course? I'm sorry, but whether you like it or not cruisers have stagnated. You might like vintage bikes and cars, but even things like the PT Cruiser are built on relatively modern running gear while still retaining that particular style. All I'm saying is that a sixth gear and a different battery cover is scarcely what you would call progress in any sphere, let alone bikes. Cruiser design is lazy design. Just take any Harley and copy it, maybe tweaking a few features here and there.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/29/2005 8:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ianisyou, funny thing is that if you look at the latest Japanese cruiser offerings, they now dwarf the HD's in size and bulk with inferior handling. I had quite an eyeopener when I owned my 2002 Goldwing 1800. I rented an HD Ultra Classic just to compare it as I had never ridden an HD tourer before and I've heard all the barbs from those who dislike them, but funnily enough did not have any first hand experience with them.
Well, the motor on the Wing was much more powerful, it had better brakes and the chassis felt much stiffer. But the HD had much better suspension (really blew me away and pi$$ed me off at the same time as I thought I owned the best), it would glide over bumps that shook and bounced the Wing around (I rode the same 200 mile loop that I often ride on my Wing). The sound system was much better/clearer/louder on the HD. This was after I just got taken by $1K for the optional Honda disc changer. The fairing had much less buffeting. Cornering clearance was about equal, the HD was much easier to handle at parking lot speeds, the HD vibed a tonne at idle, but the moment you pulled away it smoothed out totally. The Wing had a much better gear box, shifting gears on it felt like shifting gears on a sport bike. The HD's gear box was slow but positive. Funny thing, riding my Wing and it felt like it disappeared under me, but riding the HD was like an event in a most positive way. Which bike is better depends on what you want from your ride.
I traded in my Wing for my Duc, as I missed the speed and handling of a sport bike, plus it has comfort to do the big miles. But if I was going to go back to a tourer it would definitely be an HD over a Wing.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 7/30/2005 11:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Uh, Desmo dude, HD suspension? Better check who is making that suspension for HD, Showa isn't exactly an American shop on Juneau Ave.

Geoffrey
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 774

Posted 7/30/2005 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Too bad they're still marking up bikes in the LA market. In the Chicago/Milwaukee markets, I'm not aware of any dealers selling above MSRP. Many are offering $500 to $1000 in incentives.

Desmolicious said...

cruzer
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/30/2005 1:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When is Harley going to put a six speed in the cruising models???  They are the ones that need it the MOST, and how about a bigger engine too!!  Kudo's to VICTORY Motorcycles they are making there bikes better and Harley is going the other way cheaper quality chrome for one thing! Come on Harley it's all about the money! sad

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/30/2005 1:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
Uh, Desmo dude, HD suspension? Better check who is making that suspension for HD, Showa isn't exactly an American shop on Juneau Ave.

Lou, I didn't say HD made suspension. I said HD suspension ie. the stuff they use, is better than Honda's. I wasn't aware where it was made but all that matters is the way it performs. All suspension mfgs have different quality units. I guess HD picks the top line stuff, Honda the cheaper stuff.
MY Duc has Ohlins. It isn't made by Ducati and I couldn't care less. All that I care is that it is awesome! For $18-$20K the Wing should have awesome suspension too.