Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Cycle Shelter - recommendations?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rbenotti
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 78

Posted 4/8/2006 7:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fellow cruisers.

I am looking to get some sort of more "permanent" cover for my bike. I do not have a garage, and use a standard bike cover for the spring/summer/fall months. I'm looking at various Cycle Shelters, and am wondering what people's feelings are about them. Any models better than others? I've read that some can actually hold up to 75lbs of snow, which would be great for me given I'm on the East Coast.

I don't have enough room for anything like a car port, or I'd go that route.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Rob

2004 V-Star 1100 Custom - Backrest, Spitfire Windshield, Backrest Luggage Bag, Driver Floorboards, Cobra Tapered Slip On Mufflers

BikerBeagle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 32

Posted 4/8/2006 8:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but depending on your bike and the amount of space you have to work with, this might work as a sort of quasi-garage:  http://www.arrowsheds.com/yardsaver.htm

I live in a mobile home community and don't have a garage either ...I'll probably get the best cover I can for spring through fall and store the bike in my shed during the winter. 

Ok, you can all stop laughing now ...

rbenotti
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 4/9/2006 4:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks. I've seen those Arrowhead units, and they may well work. Home Depot sells them for around $450. I just have to measure to find out.

Hey - not everyone has a garage, and if my shed were big enough, my bike would be in there. blush

2004 V-Star 1100 Custom - Backrest, Spitfire Windshield, Backrest Luggage Bag, Driver Floorboards, Cobra Tapered Slip On Mufflers

Asphalt Cowboy
It's cheaper than a shrink

Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 1674

Posted 4/10/2006 6:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Have you looked at  thebikebarn.net ?

We had golfball size hail here recently, and mine stood up really well. 

I Am Dyslexic of Borge..
    Resistance Is Futile..
    Your Ass Will Be Laminated..

intechpc
2001 FXDX - MSF Certified

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 1028

Posted 4/10/2006 7:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
rbenotti said...

Thanks. I've seen those Arrowhead units, and they may well work. Home Depot sells them for around $450. I just have to measure to find out.

Hey - not everyone has a garage, and if my shed were big enough, my bike would be in there. blush

Be sure to measure carefully.  I'd be really surprised if a V-Start 1100 is gonna fit in a 7 foot long shed.  I had an 8x8 for my GS1000 and still had to park it at an angle to get it to fit .

2001 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide Sport (FXDX)
Jet and Breather kit
Sampson Street Sweeper Exhaust
HD Sissy Bar and Big Bag Saddle bags

rbenotti
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 4/11/2006 5:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Asphalt Cowboy said...

Have you looked at  thebikebarn.net ?

We had golfball size hail here recently, and mine stood up really well. 

I will check that site out, thanks!!

rbenotti
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 4/11/2006 5:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
intechpc said...
rbenotti said...

Be sure to measure carefully.  I'd be really surprised if a V-Start 1100 is gonna fit in a 7 foot long shed.  I had an 8x8 for my GS1000 and still had to park it at an angle to get it to fit .

Thanks for the advice. I was likely going to look into the 10' version anyway, just for that reason (of length)

Pyrplhaze
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 82

Posted 4/11/2006 10:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...or you could just measure the size you want the shelter to be, build a frame out out of 2x4s, and bolt down some sheet metal for the sides. If you want it permanent, just make the 4 corner 2x4s longer and cement them into the ground. It may be more time and labor intensive, but it would probably be cheaper...
-Josh

2003 V-Star 650--"Purple Haze"

Karen Nols
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/18/2011 7:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good to know about some recommendations of cycle shelter...

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 7/19/2011 7:50:28 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/19/2011 12:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is a small town & so many farms as well.  So a number of them have built sort of hot houses with plastic to hold their cages, to tractors & such.  They seem to last several years before some new white plastic is used again.

Now if you have a sort of mower/shovel shack then go for it & just to give you a warning then have a few empty tins hanging from the ceiling. That will be your additional WARNING.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Wilcon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 24

Posted 11/6/2011 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a cycle shelter and love it. Sturdy even with the hurricane winds we had earlier this year. Hail is not a problem as the frame is strong and the fabric isn't going to rip, it will flex and the hail will bounce off.

I put alot of effort into making the rear of my bike look good. It's what everyone sees.
-me

A great site for Victory motorcycles.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/23/2011 5:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

What I mentioned above is exactly what my neighbor built for their spare car.  I looks sensible & he probably got the tips from a chap 1.5 blocks away that after two years he covered it with the same material.  As I said some farmers futher away have been doing the same to trackors to you name it & I have never seen one replaced other then being replaced with the plastic on the outside about every two or three years. 

One leaves his wide open like a small place for an aircraft but it houses a lot of gear & to get to the tractor & the rest he uses a fence plus those at home would know if anyone was about to try & steal.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.