Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Custom Builder - JRL Cycles Radial Chopper  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Harley1
Forum Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 247

Posted 4/18/2007 7:56 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JRL Cycles has converted a radial engine used most commonly on airplanes and harnessed its power for use in one smooth running, torque-filled motorcycle. What do you think about decking a bike out with a radial engine? Give us your views on JRL Cycles Radial Chopper.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 4/18/2007 12:04 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What does it cost for the annual? ;-)

Does it have a Coffman starter?
(Now that would make a neat impression on the Sturgis crowd. yeah)

I can't imagine trying to kick it. shocked
One backfire could put you through the roof!

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 4/18/2007 1:03 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lay a leg over those exhaust pipes.... whew baby, watch out!

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 4/18/2007 2:14 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They should of stuck with what they know best, Spilling beer on napkins lol Course, building something for eye shock value, and, forget actually using it, Opens up possibilities. I guess if your only appealing to knuckle draggers, the rotating mass getting moved in the silly lean over to turn, isn't any concern (wouldn't hurt to hold a gyro in your hand and try to shift it though), and the crank is a tad high, when you have 5 extra cylinders, but what the heck, start to think of anything and whoosh, a whole floodgate opens, better to not think (course the design was done while spilling beer) rolleyes

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 4/18/2007 10:24:42 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/18/2007 5:03 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yeah, Louie, it'd suck trying to turn a corner, but just imagine the impression you'd make at the local bar when you shoved a shell in the Coffman starter and hit the trigger.

*BOOM*! Tha-thump-tha-thump-THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP!!!!

Hell, you'd empty out the whole bar. lol lol lol

"When in doubt, ride."

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/18/2007 6:40 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lol lol lol Yeah Cadd, those radials firing up are a show. They get all the passengers strapped in and the doors latched, before they fire them up, because, if a person was on the outside of the plane, they would turn around and walk away, saying "no way, I'm not getting on that thing" smilewinkgrin

Post Edited (louemc) : 4/19/2007 2:46:19 AM GMT

Smax
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 2871

Posted 4/18/2007 7:46 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
freaked Since I don't frequent the "Cruiser/Custom" section,
I'll not coment (tee hee, and ho ho, though), but what is the weight?

Didn't read the article - does it rotate its 160lbs/ft forward or back?
Torque wheelie/stoppie, anyone??

Scoot-jockey. gsx-r 1100

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/19/2007 6:18 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Didn't say, though with a radial it could be either. I'd imagine it goes backwards, as I think a Baker only has two shafts & I didn't see an external countershaft.

"When in doubt, ride."

turbohawk
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 27

Posted 4/20/2007 5:19 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow, where do I start? I see a ton of problems, just from an engineering standpoint, not to mention driveability issues... I'll just chat about a couple.

Cooling: Four of the seven cylinders have no direct air flow over them...These air cooled motors were not designed to be mounted this way and were intended to have a constant flow of air from a propeller to keep them cool. I realize that due to the low RPM's that heat generated won't be such that would be seen on a an aircraft at take-off, for example. But, this is a reliability problem and last time I checked these motors aren't cheap and neither are their parts (like anything motorcycle related can be considered "cheap" anymore, if ever)

Gearbox: Six gears? Why? Didn't they put anything to paper regarding needed ratios? Seems like even 3 gears is overkill here.

Can a normal back-boned person even see over the bars? Are the designers going for the "Spirit of St. Louis" look with no forward visibility?

I'm sure this thing turns on a dime...

What's the cost?

OK OK, I know, it's all about "something different". How about something ridiculous? What next? A shuttle booster powered trike? How about a surplus nuclear sub powerplant version? OOh, I know, twin hyperdrive engines....wait, that would be, stupid.

Like anything about these kinds of bikes make sense anyways? If this is the future of motorcycling, I'm gonna get to work on that time machine and so I can go back to the time motorcyclists bought what works...instead of what looks "cool".

If it can't lean or jump, I'm not interested. Have fun! jumpin yeah

MikeDaBiker
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/20/2007 10:30 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey guy's...I'd like to introduce myself im Mike Wehrle from JRL cycle's...
I am one of the builders of the Radial Chopper I just happen to notice that some of you had some questions regarding the bike and i thought maybe i could offer up some answers.

As turbohawk so amply put it "WOW ... where do i start"

lets start with cooling...the short answer is that there is No cooling problem to speak of...yes the back 3 heads run warmer than the front 4...but it is well within the heat range for dependable and safe operation.
this problem was discussed at great length with the engineer at Rotec long before we ever started this project...
It was one of the deal breakers along with the rotation of the engine.

Gearbox...Turbohawk asked why didnt we put this to paper ?
Well we did and even went a step farther and put it to the computer and came up with the perfect tranny for our application...unfortunatly nobody made one..so the logical answer was to put the best tranny we can find to fit our antisipated needs and that ended up being a baker 6 speed...end of story

as to the question of handling...it handles quite well surprisingly givin the fact that it is 9 feet long and weighs only 650 lbs.

Id like to respond to comment that louemc made... quote "they should have stuck to what they know best, spilling beer on napkins"
 there were many many nights during the building of this bike I said those exact same words.

I invite anyone that has questions to either visit our website  www.jrlcycles.com  or email me anytime at Mwehrle235@aol.com

In closing i would like to thank the guys at Motorcycle USA for the great article on the Radial Chopper....well done

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
6-1012.jpg
  644KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 333 time(s).

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/23/2007 4:47 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dang, Mike!

You answered all the questions except the most important one: What starts this beast?

"When in doubt, ride."

MikeDaBiker
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/23/2007 5:06 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Caddmanq...

To answer your question "what starts the beast"....The simple is answer is ....A button on the handlebar....for all practical purposes its set up to work just like any other bike that has an electric start.

the starter is located on the engine unlike the typical V twin which is located on the the transmission... otherwise its just a normal 12volt starter system hope this answers your question...Mike

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/24/2007 11:47 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Mike. I looked at all the photos, and simply could not spot the starter.

(I still think the Coffman starter would be waaaaay cool on that bike. ;-) )

"When in doubt, ride."

MikeDaBiker
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/24/2007 1:01 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Caddmannq....here is a better view of the starter...it is the chrome plate located just to the left of the Carb...hope this gives you a better view of it..i thought a coffman starter would be cool also...but the bossman said we dont need anything else that could blow up around the shop...Mike

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
bike02 017.jpg
  422KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 5229 time(s).

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/24/2007 1:17 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cool, Now I'm wondering about the "else" that blew up :-)

auggiedoggie
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 4/25/2007 9:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll keep it simple.. this bike is unique,sweet, and awesome!! I want one!! I cant wait to see what the boys from JRL come up with on this next bike!! The ideas are endless Im sure.. different seats, creative ways to do the exhaust pipes, different gas tank shapes, paint schemes, keep up the good work.. see you all soon!!! AUGGIE

DUC_DUDE
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 5

Posted 5/7/2007 6:18 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All that iron for 110 ponies? Hmm, musta been a slow year for the bike shop. Not really my style.

AfghanPilot
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/11/2007 10:59 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike, thanks for the explanations to some of the subscribers questions on this forum. I look forward to meeting you this year in Sturgis when I pick up the bike.

Ollie  cool

Post Edited (AfghanPilot) : 5/15/2007 7:05:01 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/11/2007 1:41 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DUC_DUDE said...
All that iron for 110 ponies? Hmm, musta been a slow year for the bike shop. Not really my style.

110 HP and Prop engine HP at that, would be about 100 more horses than I'd use in the limited way that thing could be ridden ;-)