Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > The Return of Indian Motorcycles  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
881 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :

[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mjdart
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 49

Posted 11/28/2009 4:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This change had 1300 miles on the Dino oil, I'll cut it in half next time and challenge Burt Munro's records......yeah!

2009 Indian Chief Vintage #31

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 241

Posted 11/29/2009 5:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How much oil do you put in when changing the oil mjdart?
7 quarts for 2 oil changes?
Are you SURE that sump is supposed to collect that much?

As for that camera man filming that ride on the Dragon?
People whine and complain that the police are too hard on motorcycle riders for acting up on the Dragon.
Me?
I'm of the opinion that the rider on that bike should have had his stupid self hauled to the pokey for being a dumber *** than that camera man.
Take a look at that guy.
Crappy little helmet--t-shirt-tennis shoes-no leather any where.
LMAO--that's a poster boy for the recycle bin right there.

By the way.
I stopped in and said hey to the boys in Wichita this week end.
Nice folks.
VERY good service department.
That Bomber and Dark Horsie?
$27k??????????? freaked

Post Edited (KC Cheef) : 11/30/2009 12:11:38 AM GMT

mjdart
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 11/30/2009 12:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Owners manual states 3 1/2 quarts with the filter?

Pretty accurate on your assessment of the dragon ride crew.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 8/31/2010 6:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just stopped in at Wichita again.
Let's see?
September of 2010, and they have 19 2009s left!!
Sorry--I got lonesome
You all carry on.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/1/2010 10:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Proof that in the modern Indians that they do not sell faster then they can possibly produce them.  I am sure that has been their belief for some time.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 9/2/2010 2:04:11 AM GMT

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 669

Posted 9/1/2010 12:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They still make Indians?? Who knew!!!! lol

Beer.....Helping ugly people get laid since 1853.

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 9/1/2010 3:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well roll me in sand and call me dusty! I gotta get out morelol

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/2/2010 7:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You guys are mean as hell.
Course they still make Indians.
2010 models came out about 6 months ago.
2009s with new paint jobs.
2011s have been introduced kind of sort of.
It looks to be a 2009 all over again but with another NEW paint scheme PLUS a butterfly fairing and this ass grabber looking thing on the back.
I said BUTTERFLY!!!!
But they are a start up company and going through growing pains.

I'm looking forward to the 2012s.
I figure the wrranty will be up on the 2009 and 2010 bikes by then and they can finally repair the f-ups on the new bikes came out with.
And there is hope for all you 2009 and 2010 riders who are experiencing that annoying as hell low speed surging.
They are introducing stage 1 and stage 2 kits that may or may not fix your problem.
Only a $1500 to $2000 gamble.

I'm a gone PECAHN--got to go ride my own Cheef.
He's one of those old Gilroy pieces of poo-poo that I finally got made into a hell of a nice ride.

Happy Trails to you.
Where did the Indian Nazis all disappear to any way?

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 9/4/2010 9:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Strictly tongue in cheek KC I assusre you. I don't bash anything, well maybe a little bit...

You ask for credit and I say no, you get mad. I say yes and you don't pay, I get mad. Far better if you get mad!

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/5/2010 5:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Budoka.
A true sense of humor is hard to find now days.
Even harder for a lot of folks to understand.
We're too PC and can't have fun without worrying about offending someone somewhere somehow.
Good to find a kindred spirit.
Happy Trails to you.

mjdart
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 9/6/2010 8:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Howdy KC, still working my way through some minor stuff with my '09, battery failed and crap in fuel tank plugged up fuel pump led to no start. Don't know if stuff in filter was factory assembly stuff or gas station sludge. Runs good now, but I have an oil leak on front rocker cover gasket. In shop now getting that taken care of, got about 5300 miles on the Chief.

Happy Trails...........

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 9/6/2010 1:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mjdart said...
I have an oil leak on front rocker cover gasket. In shop now getting that taken care of, got about 5300 miles

If I bought a bike that had problems with only 5300 miles I sure wouldnt be buying another one considering the initial cost of the bike it should be more like 53000 miles before any problems shakehead Ill stick to my Honda's. yeah

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/7/2010 3:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi mjdart.
Those batteries are beginning to be quite common.
I know another rider that had one fail this weekend.
He's on his third now.
Another rider is on his second in 3000 miles.
1 rider I know had his battery go just as he was pulling into his driveway.
Tried to start next morning while we were talking on the phone and it was dead as a door nail.
Charged it up--rode it to the shop for his 2500 mile service--informed the Indian Dealer of the problem.
They checked next morning and the battery was low--charged it up and sent the rider and his wife out the door.
20 miles later out on the freeway--yep--it died.
Guy got it restarted and home (1 mile).
Couldn't ride the rest of the holiday weekend, and his wife is PISSED!!!
I'm beginning to think the old bad batch of batteries excuse is wearing a little thin.
That's what they told me on the 09 I rode.
And they're still putting that bad batch into the 2010s?

The leak off the rocker covers?
Are you sure it's the rocker covers?
Might check your breather.
Lot of Kms out there blowing oil into the air cleaner box.
My advice, and it's worked on 3 KMs so far?
Crank up the shock and get that bikes ass up and make it quit hopping around.
Don't know why or how it works--but it has stopped 3 of them from blowing oil all over the rear tire and saddle bags.
Didn't just slow it down or make it better--stopped it totally and completely.

I'm staying in touch with a number of riders of the KMs.
Interesting that KM is introducing a Stage 1 and Stage 2 kit.
Do they think it will cure the low speed surging the bikes seem to be having?
Rumor I hear is KM is hinting it will be a fix for the stumble.
Me.
If I'd spent BIG BUCKS on a KM I'd be having the kit for free, or they'd be fixing that stumbling along.
Nothing more embarassing than cruising through a parking lot trying to look bad ass and cool with your head looking like a bobble head doll.
Factory Warranty on some of the 09s is getting close to being over--I'd sure be getting mine right before the warranty is gone.

Last but not least!!
Where's all the Indian Nazis?
Dang--them guys worked me over pretty good when I was reporting all the problems I had on the 09 I rode.
Now about everyone I know or ever heard of is having the same problems, and the Indian Nazis are hiding out somewhere.

Hey mjdart--you got my number--give me a call sometime and we'll talk Indians.
I want your take on the throttle body question.
I'm no kind of mechanic--don't even pretend to be.
But I sure like to hear others opinions on that throttle body question.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/7/2010 3:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OH forgot mjdart.
Get on down to Saint Louis.
I have another prototype I'd like you to ride.
And I'm serious--I'd like to put you on it.
Gilroy Vintage Chief.
Multi link suspension (YEAH BABEE!!)
Baker Direct 6 speed.
Aluminum swingarm.
200 rear tire.
Thunderheart EFI.
Right side drive.
116 CI PP. (That's a big PP!!!)
I don't even know how fast this thing goes--needle twists past 120!!! (Don't tell my wife)
I'm not afraid of Indian Nazis--but my wife scares me!!!
I'll hook up the GPS one of these days so I can send Chris Bernauer at Indian a screen shot.
Anything over 100 on a KM bike and he has a hissy fit.lol

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009

Posted 9/7/2010 4:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Never worry about me KC, I don't have a politically correct bone in my body. Comes from my Irish and Welsh heritage lol.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/7/2010 5:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Budoka.
Cool deal.
I'm going to try to get an old timer in the Gilroy Indian world to come say hi.
Went by Retro.
5 foot nothing Irishman with the heart of a lion.
He lacked quite a lot in the PC department also.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/7/2010 5:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh--forgot.
Hey mjdart.
Keep us updated on the rocker cover gasket.
Dollar to a donut says it still leaks when you get it back.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 9/12/2010 4:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've yet to see one of the "New Injuns" here So Cal since the latest incarnation of their less than impressive over priced products.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/12/2010 8:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting you make that statement Basshole.
There were quite a number of Indian Nazis from Cali who claimed to have a deposit down on new KM bikes.
They couldn't buy the 09s because of the emissions deal.
Now that there's a dealer out there?
Nope still no one stepping up.
Just too much money for what you get.
They are beautiful but come with their own warts.
Hell--the 2002 and 2003 can be picked up for a song--stick $5 to $6 k into them and you got a hell of a nice ride.
I know they have to be selling some of them out there--I've just never heard of any one buying one yet--and I do listen up.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/12/2010 8:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm still waiting to hear if mjdarts rocker covers are still leaking.
Could be covers--cold be other things.
SOME of the Gilroys had problems that took quite a bit of research to figure out.
I'm going with --NOPE--they'll still leak.

mjdart
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 9/17/2010 11:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Indian Motorcycle came up with a breather mod and that really cut way back on the oil in the air cleaner assembly. My front cyclinder had a small leak and the local mechanic had Indian send him some gaskets and now it leaks worse. Indian has sent more gaskets and I'm told new rocker base pieces are being shipped as well. Maybe the originals were untrue on the seal surface or they warped from high temps (hot here in S. Florida) for air cooled motorcycles. Here's a few photos for those who like visual aids. Makes it easy to see what the deal is.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/18/2010 5:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are those KM drawings?
Did they finally come out with some manuals?
Looks to be the Gilroy Power Plus manual from '03.
I figured you'd still be leaking.
Some of the Gilroy bikes had bad Rocker covers.(Warped)
Some of them had bad bases. (Warped or machined enough out to keep weeping until we figured out the only cure was to replace them.)

Does your engine still have the plastic T connecting the breather fittings?
Get your mechanic to replace it with a brass T.

What mod does KM do to help slow down the oil blow by?
Got a friend riding a Bomber who is about fed up with the oil problem.
I keep trying to get you guys to adjust the hell out of that shock and stiffen it up.
Ride is affected, but blow by will likely stop. (Did on the one I rode, and did on 3 others now).
Next problem will be-- head gaskets.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/18/2010 5:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One more thing mjdart.
How do you check the oil level in your bike?
How high do you fill?
Don't go with what the manual says.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 9/18/2010 8:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This just keeps getting better and better.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 9/19/2010 7:25 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting thing to me is?
I know half a dozen KM riders who have had/do have the blow by problem.
They have the surging problem.
They have the batteries melting, and the charging system problems.
All those riders seem content to let it go on and on.

I'm of the opinion that if I spend $30 to $40 thousand on a motorcycle that motorcycle better be RIGHT when I wheel it out the door.
Lot of the KM owners I know seem to be OK with multiple trips to the shop to have the same problems recur time and time again.
Me?
If I had oil blowing on my $2000 saddle bags and $1200 seat?
I'd let it blow, and call Indian to tell them to send another set.
Let it blow again and reorder.
They'd be sending me new leather until they fixed my problem.
Fixing my problem would NOT mean reroute the breather tube down to the road.

Batteries are still going bad in the bikes 2 years after I was told it was a bad batch".
I'd be looking REALLY close at the charging system.
(I have seen the stators in those bikes--and they sure ain't pritty!!)

Holy s**toli.
Gilroy all over again.
Difference is?
KM riders have a factory.
They just don't seem to want to hold the factory responsible.
Me?