Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > The Return of Indian Motorcycles  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
881 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :

[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mjdart
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 49

Posted 9/29/2010 5:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Update:

The breather mod Indian Motorcyle had installed on my bike seems to be functioning correctly. I have also been successful in fixing the front rockerbox oil leak - found a fastener stripped see photo I sent to Indian Tech describing my problem below. I have re-assembled the engine components and tested for 120 miles and not a drop of oil was seen on my bags or on the fairingunder the seat.
I had to re-tap the hole and use a longer (3/16") screw to properly torque down the rockerbox. The new Indian Powerplus 105 uses a much more robust rockerbox than the Gilroy designed PP100 engines used. See photos of each:

PP100 uses seperate rocker assembly that is bolted in place.
The Powerplus 105 utilizes stantions that are cast in place as part of the rockerbox 

Gasket is now a single piece with additional sealant on gasket.

2009 Indian Chief Vintage #31

TravelerKLK
2009 Rocket 3 Touring

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 666

Posted 9/29/2010 5:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, MJ - you gonna ride that thing up to Sebring for the Ride to the Heartland this weekend?

--Trav

"Man's mind, stretched by a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions."

O.W.H., JR.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 241

Posted 9/29/2010 6:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Right on mjdart--Happy Trails to you and the Chief.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 669

Posted 9/29/2010 2:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So do they reimburse you for all the reverse engineering you have to do for them? Can't they make em right the first time??

Beer.....Helping ugly people get laid since 1853.

mjdart
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 9/30/2010 4:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Indian Motorcycle did reimburse me for towing, labor and a new battery that failed, but not for my reverse engineering and they did provide the gasket set, but no technical advice was offered.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 9/30/2010 11:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mjdart said...
Indian Motorcycle did reimburse me for towing, labor and a new battery that failed, but not for my reverse engineering and they did provide the gasket set, but no technical advice was offered.

That's it??????????? I'd send them F-tards a bill for a couple of grand at the very least!!! Sorry you bought a lemon of a bike but I'd dump that thing like an ugly girlfriend with a yeast infection! The "NEW INJUNS" are pure crap and should be treated as such. I can't believe that the KM INJUN followers are more myopic than the HD faithful. I can't figure it out. shakehead

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/2/2010 6:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't figure it out either.
I got in around 17 thousand miles on various versions of Gilroy bikes this summer.
Only got left on the road one time due to a 3 year old battery going to s**t on me.
I'd consider that my own fault, and I'd consider those miles in some of the temps I rode in to be pretty damn good when you consider every bike I rode was 7 or 8 years old, and all had over 30k miles on them.
Some WAYYYY over 30k.
One thing I'd bet though is the latest generation of Indian Riders will be like a lot of the folks I know.
We'll just keep on working the bugs out and keep riding them.
One thing I'll say for mjdart?
He's been mighty truthful as to the problems, and joys that bike is giving him.
Lot of folks out there riding Indians would rather lie and beat around the bush instead of telling what their rides are really giving them.

Me--I love the style--it ain't for everyone but pull into any parking lot or gas station and you make friends quick.
Ride down the highway and you have folks taking pics and waving at you.

Happy Trails to you mjdart and Chief 31.
You two are just the latest in the continuing story of Indian Motorcycles.

rdawsoniii
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 30

Posted 10/12/2010 3:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm like KC....I love the style. I have altered my Suzuki Volusia to look like a Gilroy Spirit (I know: sacrilege!).

I will own an Indian some day....be it a KM or a Gilroy (still another 4 years away). I'm hoping all the bugs are worked out of the KM before I make my purchase. I want Indian to be around for good this time.

It is great there are people like mjdart who are not only big Indian fans, but not afraid to tell it like it is about their bikes.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 10/14/2010 12:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just think their product sucks. They can try to prove me otherwise.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/26/2010 8:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh YEAH basshole?
Indian now has some of their $1800 saddle bags on sale for like--$400.
And some of the $800 seats on sale for like--$199-----99.
What do you think of that?
I'm thinking you best hurry and buy that up--'cause they can't last long at those prices.
Kind of like the 09s that Mark Moses has been selling the final few of for the last 2 years.
Get 'em before they're gone.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/26/2010 8:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And?
Where the heck did all the Indian Nazis go?
I miss Chickenstrips.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 10/28/2010 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KC Cheef said...
Oh YEAH basshole?
Indian now has some of their $1800 saddle bags on sale for like--$400.
And some of the $800 seats on sale for like--$199-----99.
What do you think of that?
I'm thinking you best hurry and buy that up--'cause they can't last long at those prices.
Kind of like the 09s that Mark Moses has been selling the final few of for the last 2 years.
Get 'em before they're gone.

Somehow I think they'll be selling '09 stuff well into 2012 if they make it that long. I think by December 31 2011 they'll shut the doors and throw away the key.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/28/2010 6:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
December 2012 might be about right.
can't see it lasting much past that unless they get some value into their product.
They will have to spend more on R&D and try to come up with something different than what everyone else offers.
KMs own greed and arrogance is what will kill them this time round.
I know folks who gave full price for that fire sale gear.
I know folks who gave full price for bikes they can now buy new for a third what they gave for them.
Don't hear any of them complaining -- YET.
But that has to leave a mark.
Both on the company that set their prices to rip off levels, and the folks that wanted to support Indian.
My only ray of sunshine is that the Indian riders from Gilroy and from KM will keep some beatiful troubled machines rolling down the highway.
I suspect the new riders love theirs as much as I love mine.
We're a f**ked up bunch for sure.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/28/2010 6:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Forgot.
I still say I can take chickenstrips.
He's a fat a** and I ain't SKEERED:p

mjdart
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 12/24/2010 11:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KC I got me as spare set of those Vintage bags finally this week $439 plus $20 shipping

Santa (Mike) from Indian of Charlotte called out of the blue and said you are on the top of our list do you still want 'em. I had tried back in October from 3 dealers.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 12/24/2010 5:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good deal on you mjdart.
That's a hell of a discount.
Heads up.
I might be getting back onto a KM bike for another go round.
Some things we want to check out on the 2011 models.
Heard a few more goodies form some of my dealer buds.
Chris Bernauer about had a hissy when I called and asked him about picking one up at the factory and taking another tour:)

mjdart
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 12/27/2010 8:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bet that did rekindle some old momories!

Panhead
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 10

Posted 1/2/2011 6:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's my styling opinions of the Kings Mountain Indians starting at the front end.Firstly the forks at a 34 degree rake make the front of the bike look more like a chopper and less like a classic.The bottom of the fender should be trimmed and the rake should be 32 degrees for a more pleasing and roadworthy look about the front end.There is too large an opening between the rear cylinder and the body work covering the oil tank that makes the bike look under designed.Make the oil tank 1 quart bigger and close the hole.You will notice that they never show the bike from the left side in the promo pictures when the bike comes equipped with saddlebags.This is because the bike looks odd and ugly with the bag hanging off the bike high and in midair like an after thought.Indian needs a dual exhaust similar to the Harley touring models to make the left side look proper.With the duals the bulky and homely 2 into 1 muffler can be done away with.Dual exhaust all ways makes a cruiser look classic.Now what's with the funky styling of those leather saddlebags-large at the front and tapered at the rear.Surely Indian could come up with something larger and better looking than that.All those fringes on the seat and the saddlebags looks gay.The hard saddlebags are too small for the bike and are mounted to high taking away from the long low classic look that a bike like that should have.So if they clean up the look of the bike in the ways I describe I know they would sell more bikes,which is what I wish for them.More American made in the large cruiser segment would be a good thing for all the riders.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/15/2011 12:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The oil tank on the Gilroy bikes and the KM bikes are located under the engine--you can't see them.
The Gilroy bikes did offer a dual exhaust as an option and I believe the aftermarket companies are beginning to offer them for the KM bikes.
Saddle bag style on the 'gilroys is said to be a tribute to the old Indian Traveleer bags from the Springfield days.
I like the look of the Gilroy bags--they are small but to me are not unpleasant to the eye.
The KM bags look like over kill size wise but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Fiber glass on an Indian doesn't look right--again just a personal opinion.
As far as the 34* rake?
I've heard the rake angle being questioned as to the 34* thing.
I've never measured so I can't say for sure.
As for fringe being gay?
Well again a matter of opinion--two things I can tell yo for sure.
1. My Indian has a s**t load of fringe on it--don't give a flying poo-poo if you like it or not--not your ride.
2. I am about as far from being GAY as anyone you're ever likely to meet.
Most what I've seen it's the boys all dressed in that bad ass black leather with studs that would seem to be gay.
You wear studs on your leather?
I'm thinking Indian KM is about done selling bikes.
Their biggest year was 09.
Something like 450 units that I could find.
Right now they still have right at 100 09s setting on various dealership floors.
2010 if you kind of kept track looks to me like no more than 300 made. Once again an estimate form checking dealer stock and going online.
2011?
Well I spoke to an employee at the factory just this week.
No production going on right now.
Course that could just be a temporary seasonal thing.
What I'm kind of seeing is Indian doesn't put much effort into QC.
They react to a problem rather than preventing the problem in the first place through proper QC.
Looks to me like from the one I rode and the stories I hear they are slow to react to the problems, and in some cases ignore and hope for the best.
I'm hoping KM makes it also.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 1/27/2011 7:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well DANG IT ANYWAY!!!!
Now I'm hearing the 09s are rusting out inside the gas tanks.
Sounds like some are coated--some are kind of coated and some kind of like missed the coating.
Little rust chunkies sure don't seem like they'd do that FI much good.

Looks like looking back on this thread we should try to clear up a few things.
Production numbers for 09 appeared to be right around 450.
Last I counted there were over 100 left on show room floors, and being shipped around the world to different places.
Production for 2010 seems to have come in under 300 (That's counting the Bombers--they sold pretty well although there are some left. The Dark Horsies sold OK--but it's pretty dam easy to find one even now.)--those 2010 were hard to track down after Indian KM figured out people were going to dealers web sites and keeping track.
Not that big a deal really -- only 20 or so dealers to call and ask.
2011?
Well I talked to a friend in KM who tells me the production line was down for a couple weeks so far this year--I haven't checked back to see if it's up again or not.
I read through this thread again--this has to be a dam motorcycle message board all time classic.
I miss Chicken strips and The Real Pappy and wonder where they went off to.

Oh--just in case you all are wondering?
That surging issue looks like it'll get cleared up from what I'm hearing.
Indian is going to SELL an "upgrade" that "should" clear the problem up.
I don't know how dam much kool aid I'd have to be drinking to pay to fix a problem that the bike came with.
Happy Trails to you all--I got a Simplex Servi that needs some work done on it.

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 2/23/2011 1:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like things aren't going too well for the Indain faithful.

I still don't understand why you don't just buy a Harley or metric cruiser of some sort and put those fenders and some fringe on it. People will constantly chat you up about your bike, guaranteed (that's probably what youre after). And the people that made the bike have about as much to do with the original Indian company as the King's Mountain crew that owns the name now.

Because seriously, these bikes are no closer to being Indians than a Kawasaki Vulcan is. You might as well spend less and get the superior machine. By the looks of things, Kawi will take better care of you as an owner, too.

The only difference between this company and Kawasaki (just as an example) is that these guys bought a brandname. That's it. Oh, and lots and lots of R&D.

this is not here

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 2/24/2011 7:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
H.L. Mencken once said "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

I think the Kings Mountain folks are about to make Mencken a liar, just like the last three owners of the Indian marque did.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 2/24/2011 5:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess in that respect it's nice to have people like them around to boost my (already very low) faith in humanity.

this is not here

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 4/19/2011 4:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
LOL....told ya they'd go tits up by the end of this year!! Let's hope Polaris makes them a little more price competitive so people can actually afford them.

rickkcir
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 4/20/2011 2:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"LOL....told ya they'd go tits up by the end of this year!! Let's hope Polaris makes them a little more price competitive so people can actually afford them."

Curious how you think they went tits up... they investors simply sold it ... that's the process right? I hope they don't change the overall price structure on the high end models.... let the folks on a budget buy a metric or HD :) Though it would be nice to see a Scout out to compete with the Sportsters and Softtails...