Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > The Return of Indian Motorcycles  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
881 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :

[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Chunky Monkey
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 38

Posted 10/16/2007 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
aogop said...
I find it interesting that the company will be shipping apparel before a bike hits a showroom floor.

Bikes are supose to be out in the second/third quarter of 2008 and according to the press release the clothing line is to debut in January 2008 for Fall 2008 deliveries. Sounds like they plan to have the clothing at or just after the release.

Also from what I have been able to find through press releases and interviews it sounds like the first two bikes will have the Power Plus V-Twin engine in them but they are “working on new engine technology’s for future models”.

I do hope for an American bike company that is more then just air cooled V-Twins

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 241

Posted 10/16/2007 7:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HEY BIG CHIEF.
YEP--THEY ARE SAYING 2008
Well maybe not exactly saying that.
Now Julius is saying possibly '09.
Again using the excuse that they won't be rushed.
Let's see?
First it was '06---then '07--then '08--now possibly '09.

Hey Pappy!!
Go ahead and post the Sotello interview--it takes a while to listen to it but it does provide an interesting other side of the story.
I'd put it on here but I'm limited to just typing--don't know all the computer tricks.
And?
As far as apologizing for accusing me of anger?
Don't worry about it--you just accepted the bullshit you read on the Public Forum.
Me and you are going to have to meet up one day, and I'm pretty sure we will.
I manage to get around quite a bit, and I'm going to guess I get along with about 95 percent of the Indian Riders I meet up with.
You all ride safe.

Chunky Monkey
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/17/2007 8:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do remember where they said they were trying to have bikes for sale in late 2007 which very well could have been a 2008 model year. In general, auto makers start the new model year in the prior years late summer or early fall. I do not remember seeing an official release stating a release of bikes at any time earlier then that.

Now they are saying Bikes are suppose to be out in the second/third quarter of 2008. They could very well call those a 2009 model year.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/20/2007 6:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Big Chief!
Yep--you nailed it.
Look at the IMC website now--they are now accepting deposits on the 2009 Chief. freaked

I figure if I kep making those deposits -- by the time they get around to buiding a motorcycle I'll have mine paid off.
Might be too old to ride it--but it will be paid for :p

Chunky Monkey
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/21/2007 1:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not sure what the big deal is.
So the release date has slipped back a few months.
Seems pretty normal for a start up.

gatorg
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 9

Posted 10/21/2007 5:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
as long as the electrics are changed and a different motor is used, now dont get me wrong there is some good with thunderheart and powerplus100 i just have to rewire too many and change powerplus motors out "pinon gear" there is a market for them out there

Doc Crow
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 179

Posted 10/21/2007 8:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope that Indian makes it.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/23/2007 9:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Big Chief said...
Not sure what the big deal is.
So the release date has slipped back a few months.

Seems pretty normal for a start up.

To be honest about the date slipping back?
It has not been a "few months"--it has actully been a few years that it has "slipped back"

I'm going to figure out a way to post the radio interview with Ray Sotello for some of you folks who would like to her another side of the Indian Saga.

Pappy knows exactly what I am referring to--he's llistened to it.
I find it interesting that he won't post the link.
Well--not interesting really--he belongs to a group that would prefer to only let one side of the story be told.
I'll get in touch with someone who can tell me how to get it linked on here.
Some interesting questions and statements in that interview--good food for thought if you take the time to listen to it.

Ada Ada
Psychedelic Relic

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 297

Posted 10/23/2007 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So, there's a new Indian motorcycle coming out?

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 10/23/2007 9:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Selling riding clothes even before the bikes are built? Indian is "at it" again. This is the same method used in the past, to build monies for the upcoming claimed production. It is a shame the last go for Indian died out just when it was making some strides. But that is the bane of having non-motorcyclists handling the funds of the company, meaning the banks and stockholders. When they decided to pull the plug, to bad about the market.

Perhaps Indian should go the Tucker route. Sell stock in the company to motorcyclists only. Then the ones making decisions about the future of the endevour will actually have thier hearts and souls in the company.

Consider Buell and Victory. Each had a real motorcyclist leader, and the backing of a corporation that knows and understand the markets being served, and were willing to run in the red until the marque proved its worth. Indian didn't have that, not in the distant or recent past. Unless that is changed I don't see the next Indian surviving either.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 10/24/2007 5:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...

Perhaps Indian should go the Tucker route. Sell stock in the company to motorcyclists only. Then the ones making decisions about the future of the endeavor will actually have their hearts and souls in the company.

They are sort of. Tucker sold luggage that was designed to be a perfect fit for the trunk of the car (front end) and before the car had actually hit the assembly line. But this wasn't the real issue with the Tucker. The Tucker car had innovations that would have cost the big three millions to install and they felt threatened. As it turns out, of the 50 original cars built there are 46 still road worthy today. Now that's impressive.....

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 10/24/2007 6:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah that is impressive. I have seen and heard an original Tucker and it truly was innovative and forward thinking for its day. Immpressive too because it emphasized what a team can produce when they are truly passionate about the results.

The Real Pappy
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 33

Posted 10/24/2007 3:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Quote "I get along with about 95 percent of the Indian Riders I meet up with"

I would like to see Indian make a true comeback, my only reason to be on this forum. I have two Gilroy bikes and enjoy them.

Post Edited (The Real Pappy) : 10/26/2007 10:22:54 PM GMT

Chunky Monkey
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/24/2007 4:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Big Chief said...
I do remember where they said they were trying to have bikes for sale in late 2007 which very well could have been a 2008 model year. In general, auto makers start the new model year in the prior years late summer or early fall. I do not remember seeing an official release stating a release of bikes at any time earlier then that.

Now they are saying Bikes are suppose to be out in the second/third quarter of 2008. They could very well call those a 2009 model year.
KC Cheef, where did you see a release from the company that says anything different from what I stated above?

They bought the building in summer of 2006 and then started hiring people to design the bike. 
This is the end of summer 2007. Not much past one year latter. The only way to be done by now would be if they bought parts off the shelf like the last group did. And we all know how well they did.

No way could the release have slipped by "a few years". That just does not fit the facts of the situation.

The Real Pappy
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 33

Posted 10/24/2007 6:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

FACTS?freaked

KC don't need no stinkin facts! lol LOLlol

Man this is too easy!yeah

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 10/24/2007 8:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just hope the next Indian produced is not that lame looking bike with the "Look Fabulous" script on the exhaust. i actually felt sorry for that one.

jboland
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 90

Posted 10/25/2007 9:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll second that. Hopefully, the Cheifs are just the start. I'd like to see either a modern reincarnation of the four cylinders or a Scout that goes the route of the Ducati Sportclassic.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/25/2007 3:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Pappy.
The nasty little snide comments kind of make you look like what you are on this board.
Keyboard Commando?
Nope--I'll tell you right to your face anything I'll type out on this board.
Hey--ask FaggotyLiar--a member of your esteemed Tribal Council if I won't ask you the same questions face to face I'll ask you on a keyboard.
I did it last year in Branson while there were about 50 of your zombies standing around in the parking lot.
All I got for that effort was a 400 pound bad ass biker boy who stood there stuttering with his lip quivering--couldn't even manage to remember which lie he'd told 5 minutes before.
The rest of your BROTHERHOOD hid out in the shadows with their cameras ready just in case something happened.
What did I get for that effort?
Another lie, and some more rumors about what a MEAN BASTARD I AM.
If Faggoty won't tell you -- ask your good bud ScottDog about the offer I made him in the parking lot of a Branson gas station a few years ago.
Scotty went beyond lip quiver to blubbering like a bitch.

Nope--I'd be the last person in the world who would ever go looking for any kind of trouble--but I'll be the first to let you know I'm not interested in your intimidation or threats.

You guys just need to realize that insults--lies--and intimidation don't work with me.
No reason to be scared of any of you--no reason to be lieing about what I feel is the truth.
And I'm kind of getting the feeling that this board doesn't run with the pack mentality you are used to having support you.
Seems like these folks woud just as soon hear 2 sides of a story

As for the insults as to my size--weight-and age?
Nope--5'10" 245 pounds of shaking blubber--you missed it by 2 inches and 20 pounds.
But hey--anytime you want a go at blubber boy just let me know-I love to ride my Cheef, and I'm willing to meet you half way to anywhere I do love to excersize.

Your tactics work on your Indian Public Site because there are about 100 more of you on there all vyeing for a favored position.
That would be sucking LR off.

Im going to guess you are now stooped so low as to use the tactic of havng this thread locked or deleted--trying to do it by causing problems that the mods will be forced to deal with.
That is an excuse your Indian board uses whenever things don't go their way.
Won't work--I have no beef with you--just want to make it clear to you that I'm not getting bullied.

Hey--I'll ask you one more time nicely----Would you post that link to the Sotllo interview so these nice folks can hear a little more of the story?
I've gotten a few more PMs from members on this site who would REALLY like to hear that.
AND?
Same prediction I've been making since I came onto this board.
The Indian story hasn't even begun to get good yet.
Let's keep these folks up to date on the new happenings.
You want to start or shall I?

Chunky Monkey
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/25/2007 3:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Its too bad you can't stay on the Indian topic and you keep making everything into personal attacks and trash talk.

The Real Pappy and anyone else who this guy has a problem with. Please just ignore him and keep on topic.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/25/2007 10:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Big Chief said...
Its too bad you can't stay on the Indian topic and you keep making everything into personal attacks and trash talk.

The Real Pappy and anyone else who this guy has a problem with. Please just ignore him and keep on topic.

Uhh--big chief.
Take a look at who started the trash talk.
And -- for your listening pleasure?
Takes a while to listen to the whole thing--but it is quite interesting.
Hey Pappy--didn't feel like posting this for the folks on here did you?
And?
This is only a taste of things to come.
Hey Big Chief--nice try--yep Sotello was involved in the Gilroy years.
Sotello is a pretty well respected figure in a bikers world.
He's one of a few who has kind of hinted at a few hings that took place.
Storms a coming.
Lot more facts out there that are going to be public shortly.
Hell even Stellicans ressurection of CC isn't what they lead folks to believe.
Lot of new info coming out everyday.

If I figured out how to do this right--take a listen and think about what you are hearing.
Interesting points and questions here.

http://www.bikernetshop.com/2007/03/25/rey-sotelo-ex-indian-president/

If that doesn't work there is probably someone on here who would be interested enough in some facts that they will fix it to play.
Ride Safe Big Chief.[url]

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/25/2007 10:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Big Chief said...
Big Chief said...

KC Cheef, where did you see a release from the company that says anything different from what I stated above?

They bought the building in summer of 2006 and then started hiring people to design the bike.

This is the end of summer 2007. Not much past one year latter. The only way to be done by now would be if they bought parts off the shelf like the last group did. And we all know how well they did.

No way could the release have slipped by "a few years". That just does not fit the facts of the situation.

Nope--doesn't make much sense does it?
The deposit has changed from an 07 to an 08 to an 09.
Is 3 years considered to be a few years?
If it isn't forgive me--I'd consider it to be.

Your statement that they "bought' a building in KM?
A little fact there--but it would be interesting to know why you leave out the details of their "purchase"
And it would enlighten you to kind of do a little asking around to see just how well their effort their has gone.
How many locals have they hired?
If they are getting an 09 out--seems like there would be an army of grunts ready to build the bikes.
Fact is--check with KM city council, and see how many locals have been hired.

Fact is they introduced their first Chief as the Moet Chief.
Finer things in life and all that.
Fact is that should give you some kind of idea how clueless they are.

Fact is they've announced their REAL BIKER GEAR will be sold in upscale clothing stores.
Fact is that's embarrasing as hell to most riders--probably OK with you though.

Fact is they showed up in Branson Mo. this past summer at a Gilroy Indian Rally.
Fact is no one associated with the company that showed up could ride a motorcycle.
Fact is they had to be hauled around bitch--except for Julius --he rode in a sidecar.
The PR woman they brought along couldn't even tell a Harley from an Indian--she rode bitch on a Harley.
Not a damn thing wrong with a Harley but you'd think Indians PR person would want to be on an Indian at an Indian rally.
Doesn't matter though--Fact is she was let go a few months back because their was nothing for her to do at that stage of the companies growth??

CC--well there is even some new info on that famous revival they pulled off.

Like I said--all kinds of new enlightening info out there if you want to listen.

I heard someone out there mention an Indian 4--well it;s already here--look up DAKOTA 4---that might be a machine to watch for a while.
Yep--it's been around--but it just might be getting some new wings under it.

Chunky Monkey
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/26/2007 10:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KC Cheef said...
Big Chief said...
Big Chief said...

Nope--doesn't make much sense does it?
The deposit has changed from an 07 to an 08 to an 09.
If it isn't forgive me--I'd consider it to be.

Your statement that they "bought' a building in KM?
A little fact there--but it would be interesting to know why you leave out the details of their "purchase"
And it would enlighten you to kind of do a little asking around to see just how well their effort their has gone.
How many locals have they hired?
If they are getting an 09 out--seems like there would be an army of grunts ready to build the bikes.
Fact is--check with KM city council, and see how many locals have been hired.

Fact is they introduced their first Chief as the Moet Chief.
Finer things in life and all that.
Fact is that should give you some kind of idea how clueless they are.

Fact is they've announced their REAL BIKER GEAR will be sold in upscale clothing stores.
Fact is that's embarrasing as hell to most riders--probably OK with you though.

Fact is they showed up in Branson Mo. this past summer at a Gilroy Indian Rally.
Fact is no one associated with the company that showed up could ride a motorcycle.
Fact is they had to be hauled around bitch--except for Julius --he rode in a sidecar.
The PR woman they brought along couldn't even tell a Harley from an Indian--she rode bitch on a Harley.
Not a damn thing wrong with a Harley but you'd think Indians PR person would want to be on an Indian at an Indian rally.
Doesn't matter though--Fact is she was let go a few months back because their was nothing for her to do at that stage of the companies growth??

CC--well there is even some new info on that famous revival they pulled off.

Like I said--all kinds of new enlightening info out there if you want to listen.

I heard someone out there mention an Indian 4--well it;s already here--look up DAKOTA 4---that might be a machine to watch for a while.
Yep--it's been around--but it just might be getting some new wings under it.
"The deposit has changed from an 07 to an 08 to an 09.
If it isn't forgive me--I'd consider it to be."
It is not 3 years. Again, you are not making a seperation between model years and actual production years.

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/26/2007 11:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am making a point that they have themselves changed the release date 3 times in their request for a deposit.
Damn--talk about being a follower.
07--to 08--to 09 dude that's their change not mine-YOU are the one speculating what they mean--I'm the one TELLING you what the revisions to their website have been.
Me--I guess I think too simply.
If they take a $1000 deposit on what they are saying is a 2007 Chief I expect to recieve a 2007 Chief.
If they ask for a deposit on a 2008 Chief I expect to recieve a 2008 Chief.
If they call it a 2009 I expect to recieve a 2009.
Kind of simple way to look at it don't you think?
Oh--here's an interesting article from the Seattle Times.
Pretty damn current--yesterday I think--but don't hold me to that.
Hey BigChief--how many $2500 motorcycle jackets do you have hanging in your closet?

You really need to get out there and do a little research--don't worry though we're going to help you along.
Damn--these guys are just totally clueless and out of touch with any kind of idea as to who their TARGET should be.
PREV 1 of 3 NEXT

ERIKA SCHULTZ / THE SEATTLE TIMES
Steve Miska, president of Iconic American Brands in Seattle, holds his 1948 Indian Motorcycle model at his South Lake Union office. He is creating a clothing line for the reintroduction of the motorcycle brand next year.
Steve Miska created a refined, casual look for young men to wear to work in the 1980s as the founder of Generra Sportswear. Now, the longtime Seattle clothing designer wants to give motorcyclists a different look than sleeveless T's and faded jeans.

As president of Iconic American Brands, Miska is creating a new clothing line to help reintroduce the Indian motorcycle brand next year for a London private-equity firm that's taking aim at Harley-Davidson.

Miska said the Indian-logoed line will be "comfortable, yet fashionable," favoring premium denim and leather with "that worn, vintage look, just not overdone."

His success largely will depend on whether Indian motorcycles can make a comeback.

Created in 1901 in Springfield, Mass., Indian laid claim to nearly 50 percent of the U.S. motorcycle market before turning its attention to producing vehicles for the American and French armed forces during World War II. The company faltered in the early 1950s and went dormant for 45 years. Several investor groups tried to revive it in the late 1990s, but the company declared bankruptcy in 2003.

A year later, Stellican of London, which specializes in taking over financially distressed companies, bought the Indian trademarks. It is now on track to begin producing Indian motorcycles at a manufacturing plant near Charlotte, N.C., by mid-2008.

Robert Passikoff, who advises retailers on customer loyalty as president of Brand Keys in New York, said he thinks Indian will benefit from being "typically American, and a little bit different. It's not a Suzuki or a Harley."

Miska started Generra Sportswear in 1980 for young men wanting an affordable collection of casual work clothes — he gave them twill pants and knit tops. In the mid-1990s, Miska joined Seattle Pacific Industries, where he oversaw such brands as Nautica and Sergio Valente.

He began talking with Stellican founder Stephen Julius in June about a clothing line for Indian motorcycles. But before going ahead, he visited a local Chris-Craft boat dealership.

Stellican bought Chris-Craft out of bankruptcy in 2001 and has since increased its annual production to more than 750 boats. "If he brought that back, I felt very comfortable he could do the same with Indian," Miska said.

Miska, whose small staff in South Lake Union includes designer Julie Nardi, previously of Tommy Bahama, envisions Indian apparel being sold at upscale department stores, as well as motorcycle dealerships nationwide. His target buyer is a man between 35 and 55 with an annual income above $150,000 — "doctors, lawyers and Microsoft executives."

"There are literally millions of professionals who are weekend bikers, and they're not riding in sleeveless T-shirts," he said. "They want quality fashion, and we want to give them that."

Apparently, motorcycle chic doesn't come cheap.

Miska predicts jeans will sell from $125 to $250, sweaters for more than $100, and leather jackets for up to $2,500.

— Amy Martinez

Post Edited (KC Cheef) : 10/26/2007 7:01:29 PM GMT

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 10/26/2007 1:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't say I'm thrilled about the apparent pissing contest that's found its way here from another forum, but I have to say that KC Cheef is making some good points.

Everything about this "revival" points to a company that sees motorcycles as just another consumer product that can be branded and sold like potato chips. The problem is that potato chips don't cost $20k. Nobody makes a $20k purchase on impulse or based on advertising only (or, a better way to say that would be that not enough people make a $20k purchase on impulse to keep a manufacturer in business.)

I said it earlier and I'll say it again: A famous name isn't enough. The motorcycle brand graveyard is filled with people who thought that all they needed was a classic name and a cool design: Excelsior, Norton, Indian.

Nobody has yet explained how this "new" Indian will be any better (or for that matter any different) than any of the modern Harleys, Victory's or metric cruisers.  People who don't know anything about motorcycles may ooh and aaah over the Indian name (those who don't know how much the name has been sullied over the past 50 years) but are there enough hardcore bikers out there willing to trade in their Harleys on an unknown quantity to keep such a venture in business?  I just don't think so. 

Martin

Denver, CO

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Post Edited (martinjmpr) : 10/26/2007 8:33:15 PM GMT

KC Cheef
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 10/26/2007 3:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Martin.
Thanks for the bit of support, and accept my apologies for causing a commotion.
Only reason I am so damn vehement on this subject is because I DO know a few facts, and the facts I know prevent me from ever showing any kind of support to the Stellican Corporation.
I will correct your assumption that the new Indians will be $20 range--more into the high $20k to $30k range.
Dealerships are being peddaled as stand alone--near a major hiway--plan to invest $4 Million plus to start.
Kind of a Harley type arrangement--but you'd be doing it with a brand that has been damaged in the past, and continues to be damaged today.
I'm thinking I'd want to be seeing a motorcycle before I'd consider a dealership investment--even then I'd be wondering how I could justify a $4 million risk with only 1 motorcycle in the line up.
Takes a while to listen to it--but that bikernet piece is certainly a beginning if you want to hear some of the questions being raised.

Hey Big Chief--I'll make you a deal--I'll tone it down if you tone it down.
No sense in name calling, and you and Pappy should realize by now that I don't just get run off.
How about if you present your facts in a friendly way, and I'll do the same.
I'm thinking there are folks on here who are interested in the doings of Indian Motorcycle.
And I'm thinking the Indian name still carries its magic--55 years later, and people still worship the legacy.
No sense in carrying our personal problems on here--lets just present our sides of a story.