Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Nomad blogging continues...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
231 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 12/24/2003 4:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I bought this big blue & silver Kawasaki imitation of a '65 Electraglide, the M/C cops on my daily route seem to be checking me out a lot, and cutting me some serious slack, too. I've passed a couple of them in semi-flagrant violation of the speed & noise laws; but so far, not a problem. Well, they want busts that are clear-cut cases, and there's one along here every 2 minutes anyway. THey don't want to waste time splitting hairs.

One of 'em will eventually pull me over to give me a warning about something, as an excuse to check out the bike; but this is seriously a M/C friendly town in my experience.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/26/2003 9:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 139
3187 miles

The Caddmann Kit:

(NOTE: I don't know if anyone else has done this exact modification. If so, I'm sorry for taking credit as an original idea. Until someone else claims a precedent, however, I'll call it "The Caddmann Kit".)

Since the installation of the V&H Bagger Dual exhaust & the Techlusion fuel injection module I have been painfully aware of the need for more air flow through the intake tract. Torque was boosted, but HP was obviously off in the top speed range. Inspired by those Famous Vulcan tweakers Coyote and Gadget, I set out to improve matters, and in my minimalist sort of way.

Having not shot the whole wad on Christmas, I could have bought a Baron's Big Air Kit, or any number of the Thunder Products 7" dia. or teardrop filter kits, but I had four objections to doing so, and all four were also applicable to Coyote's approach.

1. Both approaches required either removing the tank and injection system to take out the main air duct, or required cutting out the duct. I wanted to avoid this, as I wanted all modifications affecting the emissions control system to be easily & completely reversible.

2. They all stick out into your knee.

3. All expose the filter element to rain.

4. They leave the bike unsymetrical, having lost the leftside filter in the modification process.

My mod does not fix item 3. The paper filters are just as exposed. But the rest of the objections, I have clearly met.

Here's what you'll need:

(2) Spectre part no. 4770 chrome high-performance 9" dia. air cleaners ($13.99 each at Kragen's Auto Parts)

(2) 8mm x 1.25 pitch bolts or studs (at least 35 mm long)

(1) small sheetmetal screw about 1/8" dia. x 3/8"

Also:
(1) 8mm x 1.25 pitch tap (plug tap prefered) & (1) 17/64" drill bit
-OR-
(2) 8mm x 1.25 pitch chrome acorn nuts (Read on to see why.)

allen wrench
phillips screwdriver
a drill motor
a hacksaw or grinder
tinsnips
a small piece of tin
some silicone sealant

These filters are 9" dia. with a chrome cover, similar to a Moroso (as used in the Coyote Kit), but the elements are only 1 1/2" thick, so they don't stick out as far. They also don't flow as much air, but they flow plenty, and you'll be using two if you do what I did. You won't need the ugly bottoms. Just the top, nut & element.

First remove both chrome covers & the filter from the bike.

Plug the drip hole in the bottom of the left backing plate with the small sheetmetal screw. You could also use sealant.

Slip off both rubber mounted solenoids from the right backing plate. Bend all four metal tabs about 1/8" towards the center post & reinstall. This provides just a small bit of clearance needed for the right filter to fit over them. Slip on the elment to check the fit. You wont have to bend them much.

This is the hardest part: Make a tin cover to close off the air intake to the top of the left backing plate. I used a piece of galvanized flashing, about 24 gage, cut to a "D" shape about 2 1/2" x 5". Don't go by those measurements: make a paper pattern to fit & use that to trace out the cover plate. Use the two existing phillips-head screws that attach the intake snorkle to hold the plate over the hole. You'll have to bend it slightly to fit tight. I put silicone sealant around the hole to seal down the plate.

I couldn't find metric studs, so I bought some 75mm long bolts and cut them off. I used a pneumatic cut-off wheel, but a hacksaw will do fine. My studs ended up about 1 5/8" (40mm) long, but an exact length isn't important as long as they don't bottom out on assembly. You want the covers to tighten down nicely.

You could buy chrome acorn nuts, but metrics weren't readily available here, so I used the nice chrome tri-lobular "El Toro" style wingnuts that came with the new filters. Unfortunately, they are tapped 1/4-20, so drill them out to 17/64" & tap them to 8mm x 1.25 pitch. By the way, those wingnuts are cast alloy, and not perfectly straight (nor was my tapping job) so I used a 5/16" i.d. stainless flatwasher behind each one to seal out the dirt.

Thread in the studs, pop on the filters & chrome covers, screw on the wingnuts, and it's time to ride! Man that was easy.

Observations upon my first ride:

Yes!!! More power, and more sound. It was immediately evident. I'd set the fuel injection a bit richer, as I knew I'd need more fuel, but it wasn't rich enough on the first ride. As a result, I kept it under 85 MPH on the first run, and didn't do any rowdy burnouts. <grin>

But roll-on tests at different speeds clearly were punchier in every gear. Also, the sound was not too much louder, but much improved in quality. Instead of the dull thump-thump with the stock filter, the sound is rip-snortin' serious motorcycle stuff! If the weather holds, more tuning will be done tomorrow. So far I am seriously happy.

On the down side? You can really hear those dang solenoids now. I thought it was noisy cam chains. Nope! Noisy solenoids.

On the plus side, the total cost was under $40 for both aircleaners, two bolts, two washers, and a metric tap.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 12/27/2003 5:06:50 AM GMT

Vrocker
96' Vulcan Classic 1500

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 296

Posted 12/27/2003 5:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Cadd,
Tell me more about the pipes you put on. I'm on a 96' Vulcan Classic 1500 with straight shotgun pipes. Not sure what brand. But I'd like to take some of the loudness out and get more of, what I call, that low "Harley" rumble. I've thought about aftermarket baffles or even finding the original exhaust to put back on. The only problem with putting the original back on is that I haven't heard what they actually sound like. Any suggestions........... considering my wife is in total control of the checkbook :(

"For their rock is not like our Rock ..." Deut 32:31

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/27/2003 7:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can say this: It will sound better when you change from the stock air filter system.

I've got Vance & Hines "Bagger" duals, (I paid $400 for them) which are "dresser" pipes, & would look kinda silly if you don't have big saddlebags. The mufflers are 4" dia. and 28" long, with straight-through type glasspack baffles. At full throttle, they are only a little quieter than long dragpipes.

Since your bike isn't fuel injected, you'll need re-jetting. Jet kits are readily available over the WWW from places like Baron's and Sherm's Cycle Products, but I can't tell you what sizes to buy. The guys at VROC certainly can.

Also, check out http://www.bigcitythunder.com for performance baffles for your pipes.
I've heard nothing but praise for their products.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/27/2003 8:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 140
3240 miles
Got in a nice ride with the wife today. It was crisp, but clear and sunny, so we rode all over town and up the freeway a bit. We stopped three times, and each time I cranked a little more fuel into the mixture with the Techlusion module. Each time, the bike ran better than before.

Traffic on the freeway was murder, so we didn't get in a top-speed run, but seat-of-the pants impression is that top speed will be about 10mph faster. We'll see.

Stoplight-to-stoplight blasts were further improved, and the bike seems to launch harder, though at a slightly higher RPM. Revs build more freely, but I can shift shorter than ever now, if I want to keep the noise down.

We went shopping for leather jackets, but the pickings are slim here. The H-D dealer was closed, but the BMW dealer was open. I guess you know who's selling all the bikes in this town. The Harley guys took a 4-day weekend.  The Beemer place was fully staffed, but bare of customers.

They were much nicer to me than the last time I went there. Unfortunately, they are a buncha lame bozos (sorry BMW guys...) who didn't have any leather in stock at all, had one nice FirstGear (textile jacket with leather patches & semi-armor) that fit me, but could not tell me what the price was. I waited around another 10 minutes, but they still simply couldn't find the price.

WTF is with these guys? It's not like Wal*Mart. Their stock of merchandise was pretty slim to begin with. They didn't have two dozen jackets in the whole store. Perhaps they thought I was a troglodite, and were just yanking me around? I may have rattled their windows a little bit as we took off. Not too much. I'll probably still go back and give them a chance to sell me that jacket. I'll give 'em until Tuesday to come up with a price.

Back on the boulevard we are overtaken at a stoplight by a guy on a new Indian with semi-loud fishtails and crazy long beachbars. He looked the stereotypical biker type. Lanky, goatee, beanie helmet, black leather, wrap-around shades.

He was riding solo, I was not; but even so, I held way back with the throttle when we took off. The Nomad still shot ahead of his bike, and he didn't even try to keep up. Perhaps he had warrants out? Or he'd been embarassed by a Nomad before? Maybe he was still on the break-in miles? I asked myself these things silently, as we headed for the next stop: a leather-goods store in the ritzy shopping area, of the old-money section of town.

Unfortunately, we didn't see a single jacket. Nothing but purses and luggage and portfolios that didn't seem to be selling at all. Oh, well. no new jacket for me today.

At least it was a nice ride home.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/29/2003 8:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I started a new thread with some pictures of my mods:

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/?m=46315&f=25&p=1#m46333

I also unplugged those noisy solenoids, and the bike sounds MUCH better without them. It may actually run better too. As far as I can tell, all they do is bleed air into the injection system under low-load situations.

This bike has always suffered from too little fuel, so this pobably richened the mix a bit more.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/29/2003 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddMann, just checked out the duel air filter "kit", that is one sweet package, congratulations on that work, I like the feature of being able to see if the filter is dirty, without any effort as well. Of course the people that ride in the rain, would have to go a little farther, but hay, they need to do a lot of things, anyway. I really admire and respect people that create on their own.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/29/2003 12:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou, this was the easiest job I ever did on a bike. Really! And I found those filters at the first store I went to, which is like a mile from my house, and didn't even have to hunt for them. I saw them on the wall, and just knew they would work.

The rest was a cake walk, and nothing compared to the work you're probably doing to "bare" the TLR.

Remember how quiet that Nomad was? Well, now it's just a bit louder than your TLR ;-)

BTW, those paper filters are treated with some stuff that makes them somewhat fire and water resistant, so they will probably hold up in anything that I'll want to ride in. yeah

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/29/2003 1:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddMann, speaking of "baring" the TLR, it's taking on a look that makes serious look like a church social, I'll send pics real soon, I can't believe my own eyes. When I'm out next summer, I'll show this to Dick Mann, he would understand what's happening here. :-) Everyone that sees this will get divided into two groups. There will be the WTF group, and the OH My God, group. :-)

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/29/2003 10:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lou, I can't wait to see it.

Lemme know when you want to trailer it down here where there's no snow ;-) & we'll go twist the wicks.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/2/2004 12:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the offer CaddMann, The snails pace that I'm moving at, says the project will finish just about the same time the riding starts again for me, but the look will be finished soon, so I'll send you a picture of that. (hoping that a picture conveys the look) :-)

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 1/12/2004 5:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 156
3450 miles

Work! Deadlines! No time for pleasure riding at all. I'm beat too: worked all weekend & need a day off.

Rode through dense fog to work this AM. Fortunately, I don't have to leave home before dawn, so I'm actually somewhat visible throughthe mist. The Phantom Silver helmet can't be helping though. Maybe I'll get a day-glo helmet for foggy days...

In any event, with the V&H pipes on people can hear me coming when I want them to.

I'm set up a bit rich at off-idle / low RPM / low load conditions. I last adjusted it on what turned out to be the coldest day of the year. It's easy to tell, as the bike isn't fouling, but it wants you to be "on the gas" i.e. acceleration is instantaneous when you just touch the throttle.

Also, around town mileage is only 28 MPG. Part of the decrease in fuel mileage may also be from disconnecting the idle air bypass solenoids (ICS valves) but I just couldn't stand the noisey things; and they won't affect highway mileage from what I understand.

Admitedly, it's been cold here, I do warm the engine a bit before taking off, and all my driving has been stop & go, in town, 50 MPH max & about 30 MPH average. Also, I've not been a total gentleman with the twistgrip. I haven't been out on the open highway for three weeks now. Too dang busy.

Anyhow, I thing a bit of leaning out is in order, as well as a bit of exhaust baffle modification. I think the bike runs very well, but will perform even better with just a bit of mid-frequency backpressure. I think I'm going to build some tuneable inserts for the Baggers, and do some more tweaking when the weather allows it.

First I gotta go buy a new welding torch. I sold my old ones some time ago, and just haven't got arround to the necessary shopping.

Time to go home. I hear a martini calling my name....

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 1/22/2004 12:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 165
3569 miles

Follow-up on the dual air filter mod.
AKA "The Caddmann Kit":

When I originally did this mod, I did not want to use silicone sealant to seal the left-side snorkel block-off plate.

The reason is that silicone should usually never be used as a sealant in a fuel system. It has a tendancy to degrade from gasoline, and plug things up.

However I felt justified in this case, as the sealant was far from any possibility of contamination from liquid gasoline, and very remote from the possibility of even vapor contact; since any vapors should sink directly down through the right element, and not flow back through the crossover duct to the left side (much less "uphill" to the blockoff, as gasoline fumes are heavier than air.)

But I pulled the left filter off last night to check it anyway, and I didn't see any evidence of degradation.

What I did see, however, was that there was no reason to use silicone at all.

By loostening the left side backing plate mounting bolts, it appears that the original plastic intake snorkel may be completely removed from the bike without even lifting the tank. The backside of that backing plate, at the snorkel mounting surface, has an inset o-ring-type rubber gasket which will suffice to seal a block-off plate, were that plate to be screwed to the back of the backing plate, rather to the front as I had done.

Furthermore, it appears that by mounting the block-off plate outside the backing plate, it's design could be a rough rectangle of no exact dimensions, eliminating the careful trimming of the "D" shape required to fit it against the curved inner surface of the backing plate.

Dummy me!

Anyhow, as time permits I will re-do the blockoff plate as I have described, and try to post some more pictures.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

wackochango
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13

Posted 1/28/2004 4:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cripes, Cad!

You're so long winded if I had a Nomad, I'd sell mine.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 1/28/2004 10:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Evidently you are not my "target audience", Wacko.
As for not having a Nomad, well your loss dude.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 1/29/2004 5:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Look who's back! There goes the neighborhood.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/29/2004 2:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another way of looking at "long winded", is describing something in detail, so it's useful info, but, if someone has the attention span of a three year old, it could be overwhelming.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 2/20/2004 4:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 195
3973 miles

Changed the oil & filter last night.
This is the Nomad's 3rd oil change, and everything looked pretty good.
Used a mix of Mobil-1 synthetic 20w50, Castrol synthetic 5w50, and Castrol synthetic 10w40.
I was shooting for say 15w45 on the mix ;-) Yeah, I know that viscosity's not a linear function.
I just mixed it together until it felt right.

Bike runs great, feels fine, looks dirty. Must ride less and polish more. Maybe. Someday....

I tried the Meguiar's plastic protectant wipes the last time I polished the bike, and they worked really well. (They seem to polish CDs nicely too.) I washed the bike a bit with a spray bottle, wiped down everything with the polish wipes, and buffed 'er off with a flannel rag. Nice! I did the seat too, and it looks great; but it's almost as slippery as Armor-All for a day afterwards.

As the weather gets warmer, I keep leaning out my fuel injection, and gas mileage & performance are improving. 31 MPG (all in town) this week. Last time it was only like 28 MPG. It's hard to get a good mix, doing hop-up stuff in the winter.

ALSO: I am now immortalized in electrons, as the famous motorcycle guru Gadget has posted my dual air filter mod on his website of great Vulcan tricks and general motorcycle advice.

Lots of good M/C info there, even if you don't ride a Kawasaki.

Cadd.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Chacey
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 14

Posted 3/16/2004 7:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Cad,
I have a 2001 Nomad and just love it. I changed exhaust to Vance & Hines Baggers right after i got the bike. My neighbor has a HD and kept asking why I didn't buy a HD. When he heard the new pipes he actually invited me on a few rides. I just ordered the Teclusion Mod and was debating the Thunder Air filter or a Hypercharger. But then I went to Gadgets page for more helful hints and found your modification to the air system. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it. Just wondering if you have a larger photo of the bike with the airfilters. It seems to look prety good from the photos but wanted to see whole bike. Maybe even high quality so I can zoom in. Keep up the good work. Your wind is not wasted here.
Thanks Chaceycool

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/16/2004 10:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it's not really polished right now...only missed ridin' about 10 days in the past 6 months, so it doesn't stay as shiny as my neighbor's "GarageQueen" (RoadKing...HeeeHeeHee)

But I will try to post a big pic tomorrow. There's a limit on what the server here will host, though. Don't expect 3 megapixels...

I've heard good things about the Thunder TK1000 fuel module too. It's a TFI that's (advertised as) being specially tweaked (for Thunder, by TFI) just for the Vulcans. (Their fuel injection is a little different than most of the other metrics.) It's few bucks more though.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/17/2004 8:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
well, lesse if this will fit...

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2004_0317scootr0014.JPG
  591KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 442 time(s).

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/17/2004 8:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hmmm, maybe i'll try a bigger one tomorrow.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 3/18/2004 4:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, I want bigger :-)

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/19/2004 6:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, this was 3.2 megapixels & also a better light & better background.

It's only .8 MB as a jpeg though, so still not to big to deal with here.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2004_0318bike0003.JPG
  847KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 439 time(s).

Chacey
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 14

Posted 3/20/2004 11:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Cadd
Boy she really looks sharp. That photo is exactly what I needed to see to make up my mind. Thanks again I'll let you know when I get it done on my Nad.Still go snow here in Ma. But I have two weeks off :pcomencing Mar 26. Plan to do yard work confused Yea right!!! Maybe a little. Definitely gettin the bike ready with the air filters and TFI. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks Again
Mike