Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Nomad blogging continues...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
231 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 3/20/2004 1:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now that makes your air filter smile, that idea was very cool. :-)

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 3/20/2004 6:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, guys.

Yard work here has been the word of the day alright.
The weather is like summer. Well, not summer in Fresno, but summer somewhere really nice. ;-)
Everything's growing here like you wouldn't believe.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 3/23/2004 2:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is just a survey of one pair of eyeballs, connected to a questionable memory, but I think, and this can be backed up with some weather report records, things are growing more, and earlier this time, than anytime in weather reports for California history. Could be an impression from mowing way more ground this year, but there were spots that the wild grass shot up a foot, between mower passes that were 7 days apart. ????

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/24/2004 11:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been getting that too, since we had substantial rain in Febuary, and then March warmed up like mad early on.

The pollen count here has been off the charts.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/29/2004 10:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 233
4555 miles

Today was the perfect riding day. The weather is beautiful, the bike is clean and running perfectly, the tank is full, and traffic was surprisingly light. A guy could go a lot of miles on a day like this.

Unfortunately, I had to work, so my usual ten miles had to be sufficient for the morning ride. Good weather is certainly a double-edged sword. I am awaiting vacation time with great anticipation.

I polished the bike completely this weekend, and it's just looking up from the parking lot with a gleaming chromed smirk saying: "What the heck are you doing in the office on a perfect day like this?" I don't have a good answer, so I pretend not to notice.

Because my wife is so short, her arms are short too. This often makes it hard for her to hang onto me on this long machine. I bought her her a nice sissy bar waaay back in August, but something more was called for.

I ordered a set of Kawasaki chrome grab rails that go alongside the pillion, but I am quite disappointed.

First off, the quality wasn't what I was expecting after buying their billet sissy bar & luggage rack combo. The grab rails are just chrome-plated tubing, bent to shape, flattened on the ends, and punched for two bolts each.  The ends are not well finished at all, and the seam of the tubing clearly shows through the chrome, having not been sanded nor hardly polished before plating.

Since the bolts that attach them have rather small heads, there isn't much to hide the blemishes either. These sell for $89/pair, and the quality just doesn't justify the price. These look like something you'd see on a kid's tricycle. Certainly far from custom quality work. The handle on my back-yard gate looks better.

But the cruelest cut was that they won't even fit my bike with the sissybar attached! Kawasaki's literature is usually pretty clear about what is required to mount what, and what must be used, and what cannot be used with each product. This was absolutely not the case here.

So, these things sit in their cardboard box, waiting for who knows what. I would just sent them back, but I got them from a third party, and he's not going to take them, as well as paying the shipping cost again just repells me.

Maybe they'd look good on my lawn mower.

Meanwhile, I think about designing something nicer myself, and dread the cost of having them fabbed and chromed.

Until then, my wife will just have to hang on as best she can.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 3/29/2004 5:50:19 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/8/2004 11:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not to worry mate, When you get the Naked Busa, all the need for back support will be shifted to that bike, and the Kawi will take on a more sedate function, there problem solved, your welcome. :-)

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/8/2004 2:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ummm....
Any Hayabusa is a solo bike.
If not at first takeoff, then after the first really good twist of the throttle. lol

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Chacey
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 14

Posted 4/9/2004 2:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hop Hey Cadd I'm a happy camper. Finally got to do the "Caddmann Kit" on my 2001 Nomad. I also put in the Techlusion TFI. Boy I really like the sound of the baggers now. I thought they were nice before but even NICER now. I'm looking for some help with the adjustments on the TFI. Any suggestions as to how to go about it. Thanks for the great idea. On the east coast the Specre filters cost 19.95 plus tax at the local Auto Zone. Was able to complete the job just under $55.00. Took only about 1 hour to complete including hacksawing bolts and manufacturing the blocking plate and drilling and tapping the knobs. Looks SWEEEEET. I'll send a photo after she gets a bath.
Thanks Mike

Chacey
Berkley, MA
2001 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/9/2004 7:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks a bunch, buddy.

I've really liked the sound improvement, especially on a hard mid-range rip of the throttle, but also just when plunking off the line at min. throttle too.

Glad you like it. It sure beats paying big bux for a custom billet job.

Less work too.

(I e-mailed my settings to Chacey.)

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/21/2004 10:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 256
5006 miles

My nomad was 8 months old last week. The windshield has some actual scratches *snif* that represent gravel that didn't hit me in the face. Otherwise she's still prety cherry for a bike that's seen nearly daily commuting.

Changed out the winter oil tonight for summer oil (15w-50 Mobil-1), changed the filter, and changed the rear end gear oil too. Also cleaned up the rear wheel, shocks, mufflers & brake (since the bags had to come off), and checked the brake pads.

The brakes are showing some real wear from the daily stop & go riding, plus what few road trips I've taken have mostly been through the mountains. I've made several hard panic stops in 5000 miles too. Both front and rear are half way to the wear limit. Well, it is a heavy bike to ride in town so much.

The oil was still quite clear (both gear and engine oil) as well as the filter. I pulled out the oil screen and it was clean but for one tiny dab that looked like some stray gasket sealant. Not even a single fleck of metal was in it.

First time I've cleaned the rear wheel in 5000 miles & there was a lot of brake dust on it. With the huge hard bags, it just goes un-noticed, though.

I shorted the gear oil a little as some guys have had rear-end seals leak on Vulcans, and Kawasaki's advice was "Don't fill it all the way up." Temps have been as high as 89F here recently, and it's going to get hotter soon. A blown seal will be most unwelcome.

After writing this, I realized that the winter engine oil only had about 1000 miles on it, but it was a short winter here, and now it's definately time for summer oil. I saved the old oil, and will probably strain it and put it in my Pontiac. They say Mobil-1 can last up to 50,000 miles. After only 1000 miles...sheeesh...It looked almost like new oil. The Pontiac has 101,000 miles on it and won't know the difference.

I've done several more in-town tweaking sessions with the TFI, and am now getting 34 MPG in stop & go driving. It was too rich on the low-speed pot and the high-speed pot, and I've turned them both down. The "accelerator pump" pot got increased, however, and mid-range acceleration is even better.

Would you believe that I still haven't made a top speed run since I did that one shot to 112 waaaay back there? Practically all I've done is ride to work and back and work on the house and yard. Oh, well, at least the yard is lookin better. Still neeeds more work though.

I need to hit the highway, but this weekend will be mostly usurped by more landscaping work. Maybe sunday I can get her out on the open road. It's supposed to hit 90F here.
Glad I changed to that thicker oil. I did one short run tonight, and the lifters are definately quieter.

I'll bet Shaver Lake will be nice Sunday.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Vrocker
96' Vulcan Classic 1500

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 296

Posted 4/22/2004 7:16 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Cadd,
How difficult is it to change the gear oil? 96" Vulcan 1500 D

"For their rock is not like our Rock ..." Deut 32:31

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/22/2004 7:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A piece of cake. They did make some changes to the final drive setup since those years, but I think it was mainly to improve the front oil seals. Otherwise it's the same. You have a drain plug and a fill plug. I would do it when warm, as cold gear oil is kinda thick to drain well.

Mine is likely harder to change as I must take off the left saddlebag to get to the plugs, and with the Bagger duals having larger diameter mufflers I can't get the drain plug all the way out without compressing the shocks a bit or removing a muffler. I just had someone step on the rear bag mount to compress the shocks.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Chacey
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 4/22/2004 2:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Cadd

Haven't got a photo for you yet. Cause when the weather is good I'm riiiidddiiinnnggg. Maybe this week I'll get that photo of the "Caddmann Kit on an east coast Nomad. I've been tweeking the TFI and haven't checked milage yet. I am definitely feeling the difference in the roll on acceleration.
I noticed you use Mobil 1. My brother-in-law used auto oil and had difficulty shifting so he changed back to motorcycle oil. He has a 96 Vulcan Classic. I've been afraid to use Mobil 1 in mine sine he told me that. I swear by it in my F150.
You also mentioned an oil screen? Is that in the rear end or engine? And where? I'll check it next change.
I'm just trying to get the tweeking finished before Myrtle Beach Bike Week.

Chacey
Berkley, MA
2001 Nomad

Chacey
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 4/22/2004 2:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By the way Cadd.
Have you put on the quick release for your bags described on the Gadget page. I did they work great. Have extras if you need I'll send em. SOOOO much easier.

Chacey
Berkley, MA
2001 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/22/2004 3:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is that the thumb-screw setup? No I haven't done that.

I've actually been thinking about mounting those grab-rails I bought to the bag mount bolts instead of the fender mount bolts, in which case they will have to be torqued a bit more than thumb-screw tight. I haven't done that yet, as it will also occassion cutting down the mounting bosses. I'm not sure I'm up to that yet.

The oils screen is easy to find. It faces your left heel as you sit on the bike, being on the rear lower left of the engine case. There's a 17mm hex head, which removes an (internally) complicated looking plug; behind which is a spring, washer, and strainer or screen, soldered into a tube shape. Don't loose the o-ring on the plug, or the rubber grommet on the inboard end of the strainer, that do the sealing.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 4/22/2004 11:28:59 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/22/2004 4:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ummm...

As for the oil, I have owned six other bikes and never bought special "motorcycle oil" for any of them. Perhaps I will try it once just to say I did.

No shifting problems on the Nomad, though it will shift differently if you change weights of oil.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 4/22/2004 11:09:45 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/22/2004 4:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a picture from the Kawasaki website that shows the oil screen assembly. Unfortunately it doesn't show the crankcase!

The screen & rubber grommet are inside the rectangular box towards the bottom.

Item #11012 is the 17 mm hex hd. plug.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
screen.bmp
  385KB (image/bmp)
This image has been viewed 239 time(s).

Chacey
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 4/23/2004 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually the quick release are press on knobs that fit into the head of the bolt. The knob is then approx 1.5 inches round. Then hand tight is all you need to hold the bags on. Its listed under easy bolt ons, quick releases for bags, windshields and seat. I've only done the bags.

My brother-in-law had the grab rails on his classic but only for a day then his wife complained that her legs kept kitting them so he took em off. Asked me if I wanted em. Once I heard why he took em off I declined. I think the only place they belong is on E-Bay.
LOL

Chacey
Berkley, MA
2001 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/23/2004 3:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, I'm not putting thumbscrews on anything that can be stolen.

The hidden ones in the bags would be OK; though, I really don't take them off to often.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/8/2004 8:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 273
5318 miles

I finally put some highway pegs on the Nomad. It only took five weeks.

Well, it took an hour to mount them (not counting a side trip to the hardware store for some chrome acorn nuts); but it took five weeks to get the dang things, what with mis-routed orders, mis-sized mounts, re-orders, and back-orders. Sheeesh. I thought I'd save time by going to the largest local custom bike shop, but I should have just ordered directly off the web. That'll larn me.

Anyhow, what I ended up with are chromed billet aluminum offset clamps from Biker's Choice, and the Vibra Cushion adjustable pegs from Custom Chrome, mated with chromed bolts and nuts from Cy Chrome. It all looks very nice, and they're quite comfey when I need to stretch out the legs. Having a bum knee, and being subject to sporadic leg cramps, they were a medical necessity. ;-)

This makes them tax deductible, right?

The Nomad has developed some light buzzing from the speedometer nacelle. I understand that this is a common Nomad complaint as the rubber mounts get stiff. Lining cluster inside with foam rubber is suposed to stop it. We'll see.

The warm weather is holding nicely here, so I'll take the lowers off today. Perhaps I'll take Pupus and ride up to the lake. Too many things have prevented me from going off on the weekends lately, and it's time to take a break and just do it.

I had a moment of angst yesterday when I thought the rear tire had gone flat. The bike did some flat-tire-like wallowing, coming up to a stop. The tire was fine, and I think the wallowing was just an opportune gust of wind, coupled with some lumpy asphalt. That was a relief. I expect to get another 4000 miles from that tire. It has over 5000 now, and seems to not be half-worn yet. In six months I expect that I will change both tires to Metzlers. The touring versions seem to be getting good reviews from the Vulcan guys.

Those stock Bridgestones are quite hard (touring) tires, but the hard compound (and carcass) seems to make them somewhat harsh. This is only noticible when cornering however. In a straight line they are quite smooth. They are supposed to get worse with age, but have perhaps only a little. Keeping them pumped up to 40 psi has probably helped. Guys running les pressure have reported noticible to horrible cupping, but so far I don't see any on mine.

With the current fuel adjustments, I seem to be holding a steady 34 MPG around town. I don't know what the freeway mileage will be yet, as I haven't done enough freeway riding lately to know. Another 6 weeks and Pupus will be on vacation, so I hope to rectify that situation.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Dakota
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 5/29/2004 2:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cadd, I have a 2001 Nomad and just got back from the Blackhills of South Dakota and agree that some highway pegs are a must. I haven't looked at any yet but it seems you like yours. Could you send me the specifics on them and where to get them?

Thanks.

Dakota

"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been.  Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure make me want to go back again.  If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I could somehow adjust to it all...good times and riches and son of a bitches, I've seen more than I can recall."  Jimmy Buffett

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/29/2004 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The clamps are chromed billet, from Biker's Choice #48-9830
I've attached a fuzzy pic from their catalog.

The pegs are from Custom Chrom & are the Vibracushion #18962, but any Harley style male footpeg will work. I chose these because they will rotate to position the rubber at any angle. Also because they were 'in-stock".

A fuzzy catalog pic of those is also attached.

Perhaps later I'll post a high resolution digitalpic from my bike.

(PS: whereabouts you from in Minnesota? Years ago I lived in Duluth and later in Baudette.)

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
clamps.bmp
  791KB (image/bmp)
This image has been viewed 252 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
pegs.bmp
  141KB (image/bmp)
This image has been viewed 254 time(s).

Dakota
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 5/30/2004 10:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Cadd! I order them next week.

I live in Buffalo MN which is about 30 miles west of Minneapolis. Duluth is certainly a pretty place but it can get quite cold up there from the wind off of Lake Superior. I don't know much about Baudette other than the fishing is pretty good. Usually make it up there once a year early to fish Rainy river or Lake of the Woods.

I definitely like the Nomad, did they make any major changes from 2001 to 2004? Some say they will eventualy change the style to reflect the new 1600s?? I am not sure I will like that but we'll see.

Talk to you later.

"Through all of my running and all of my cunning, if we couldn't laugh we all go insane"  Jimmy Buffett

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/30/2004 4:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, there were really no major changes in those years.

Baudettte was the coldest place I've ever lived in my life. I graduated from Lake of the Woods HS back some 32 years ago. The world's best fishing used to be there on the banks where Rainy River dumps into Lake of the Woods.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/31/2004 5:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 297
5834 miles.

The rear tire is starting to cup noticably. I'll probably have to change it in a thousand miles or sooner. It's surprising since it looked great 500 miles ago, and I haven't changed tire pressures or anything else. Oh, well, everyone warned me about the Bridgestones being harsh and cupping.

The front tire seems fine though: virtually no visible wear.

This leaves me with the quandry of whether to buy a new rear only, or to buy a matched set. I'm considering buying just a Dunlop rear which is really made for the Goldwing. I wonder if it's really any heavier-duty a tire or if that's just hype.

I still haven't delt with the buzzing gauge cluster.

Checked all the major bolts today, and nothing had come loose. I checked everything I could reach when I first bought the bike, and after my shakedown ride with Lou, and this makes the third time. Had a nice ride up to the Academy Hills cemetary for Memorial day. Planted some flowers & a couple flags at dad's grave. Not much else to tell.

Cadd
Clovis CA
VROC #11619
2004 Nomad