Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Nomad blogging continues...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
231 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 4/3/2005 9:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HeeHee, Lou...

There goes your image of my "professional level tinkering".

;-)

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500
VROC #11619  Rolling Blunder #128

louemc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 4/5/2005 12:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well I do give huge "points" for doing the work yourself, pretty cool. I'll PM the critique on the balance job, though :-) And, I don't remember crystal clear on where I got my tire irons, but it could be from a Harley dealership, doesn't seem like it could of been anywhere else.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/5/2005 1:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(Lou was right to critique the balancing act I did. Here's his partial comments and my replies:)

Wheel balance
Originally Sent : 4/5/2005 7:47:59 PM GMT by louemc

Can't say just how important it is, but, I know that the wheel bearings with seals don't turn free enough. Static balance on an axle did work super slick with earlier Harley wheels that had Timken bearings and removable seals. In their case, you pulled out the seals and the bearings cleaned of all the old grease, then, oil the bearings, balance the wheel that turns super free that way, cut the balance weights to show no heavy spot (that's finer that computer spin balance, they don't make such a fine division on the weights they work with), then grease the bearings, install new seals and your good to go. On the new ball bearing sealed bearings, you need the stand that has it's own bearings in the wheels on the stand where the axle sits. Course the whole issue of balance gets a perspective of how fast is that wheel turning, so, for all I know, the way you did it, is just fine.

I know Lou's right about the balancing, but it will have to do. In the old days I might spin the wheel 6 or 10 times, marking it to find the light spot. Now I have to do it like 25 times to get a pattern of marks that makes enough sense to read.

One thing that helps is that the Nomad has a very heavy wheel and tire, and two heavy brake rotors, so a lot of inertia. It will typically stop and reverse direction 3 times before coming to rest if only 10 grams off at the rim.

But once I get within about 5 grams, you can't tell anything. The marks come up in a random distribution that tells me (once I've spun it 20 times) that closer balancing isn't possible.

Stock Nomad weights come in 10, 20, & 30 grams, so you know they can't posssibly get better than within 5 grams from the factory except by luck, and are likely to be off by more.

Anyhow, top speed on this bike is around 100 MPH, and I rarely cruise over 60~70 MPH, so I settle for getting some weight in the light spot, and not worry about precision balancing. If top speed was 200 MPH, and I intended to ride it like that, I'd be a lot pickier.

I probably will build a better balancing stand at some point, but taking things to a shop for service is just not an option for me. What I do may not be perfect, but ultimately I know what I've got.

When someone else does the work (and obviously you never get to watch them do it) you never know what you've got.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/5/2005 1:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well one thing you get (I've seen it several times) when you take the job to a shop that has the lowest paid guy in the place doing the tire work, is, the tire mounted backwards on the rim. Then not everyone (customers) knows the differnce either (even though there is an arrow on the sidewall). The Super shop in San Jose California called Road Rider has the lowest tire prices, and a real ace tire mounting dude, so I go there. Before them I got my tires shipped to me, and did my own work, because the other shops just chapped my hide.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/5/2005 2:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've watched guys bend my rims while mounting tires before. Not alloy M/C rims either, but steel car wheels! It just makes ya sick to watch some of those monkeys mount tires.

The truth is, I've mounted every tire that was ever replaced on every motorcycle I ever owned.

I'm just not a trusting guy that way...

When I bought new tires for my wife's car, the shop would not sell me the Michelin tires I wanted, because the Toyota exceeds the speed rating. Now I have the same exact size and model on my Pontiac which is a much heavier car, with more horsepower, and they are great. Smooth, quiet, good mileage. But the Pontiac is governed to 108 MPH, and the Toyota will go about 118 MPH.

Not that anyone has ever driven it that fast, or will ever drive it that fast: this is my wife's commuter car. But since on paper the car is capable of that speed you must buy a higher speed rating tire. Farking bureaucrats!

Anyhow I got stuck with a set of Goodyear American Eagles. They were actually each $10 cheaper than the lower-rated Michelin, but they are harsh, noisy, and rough as a cobb compared to my Michelins.

To add insult to injury (Don't stop me if you've heard this. I need to rant!) I called and reserved the tires in advance, gave them my name, gave it again when I dropped the car off, then returned from lunch to find they'd mounted the wrong size tires! (Of course they were also more expensive tires, too.)

When I collared the manager to find out WTF was up, I was told they only had one set left and someone had called to reserve them.

"I RESERVED THEM!" I was in no mood for mercy at that point. "Take them off and change them right now!" I manged to say without screaming, but in that mater-of-fact tone that the Terminator uses just before he shoves a drain pipe through someone's chest.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 4/5/2005 9:44:42 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 12:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Day 659

12,807 miles

The Summer heat has finally come around here about a month later than usual. It's stabilized in the high 80's to high 90's for a week, so I decided to change the Winter oil today. Also it has about 2800 hard miles on it (I do not baby this machine) so it was about time in any event.

The oil and strainer screen all looked pretty clear. I bought a rubber strap-wrench which makes removing the filter a breeze compared to my old method (squash it with a pair of 18" channel-locks).

A little wiping and 3.7 quarts of Mobil-1 15w-50 and I was done.

The recommended oil is only 10w-40, but as it will typically get 100+ degrees for weeks here, and I'll be mostly riding hard stop-&-go traffic during the hottest parts of the day, I prefer to run something just slightly thicker.

Checked for fluid levels, leaks, nails, and various loose hardware, and found none.

I finally decided after my run up to Jamestown that I was running a tiny bit rich at cruise, and I reduced the green pot setting on my TFI to 2:30. To compensate for lost fuel on acceleration, I boosted the yellow pot to 5:15. I also decided that it would still ping under WOT at about 85 MPH & above, so I increased the main "jet" (red pot) setting to 4:30, leaving the crossover RPM at 9:00 (~4200 RPM.)

The bike runs better than ever, and fuel mileage around town has improved from about 33 to 35 MPG. On one week where traffic was consistwntly heavy and I rode more gently than normal, I managed 38 MPG in the city. Highway mileage seems to average about 45 MPG in spirited riding, and over 50 in gentle riding situations where speeds are kept below 55 MPH.

The rubber driveshaft boot seemed to be loostening up from the swingarm, so I put a zip-tie around it to make sure the dirt stays out.

My 2-piece windshield is starting to buzz. I think the lower part of the polycarbonate shield is shrinking from the sun. I will try to loosten the bolts and reposition the pieces to quiet it, or stuff a plastic shim between the pieces if necessary.

Tire wear, brake wear, and all else seems about normal. Well, normal for my slightly hooligan riding style.

I'm really looking forward to a trip up the coast this Summer, but that's still probably at least a month off and probably more. Will try to get a ride up for Kings canyon some time before that, however.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 1:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Up the coast like over to Santa Barbara north through big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, The city, The wine country, Avenue of the giants? kinda up the coast? Or are you thinking Oregon?

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 2:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All that, and all the way up to Astoria if I can manage the time required. My work schedule is up in the air right now, so no way to tell at this point.

I haven't traveled the coast between Marin and Neuport (Newport?) since I was about 4 years old.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 3:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Super Fine, Hope you catch clear sky on the coast when you do the ride, and, have the time to make a big loop, from Astoria up the columbia, up the gorge (scenic highway just off the freeway) turn south at Hood river and go down 97 through Centrial Oregon, 395 on South till you cross the Sierra pass of your choice. (yes it's Newport) Have you ever been to Creater Lake?

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 6:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Twice. Once as a child, and a few years ago with Pupus. We flew from San Jose to Portland, rented a car, and toured down through central Oregon to Crater Lake, then west to the coast, up to Astoria, up the Columbia a bit, to St. Helen, up to Seattle, back to Portland, and flew home; basically over the course of a week.

But the whole North California/South Oregon coast is still a mystery to me.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 7:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually it is to a lot of folk, you'll maybe stop at "the Mystery Spot", I forget just where it is, but somewhere up there, northern California I think. Oh, speaking of spots, blow off the Sea Lion caves (Oregon) It looks like something, you go inside and pay for going farther, then you get to the viewing spot ant they tell you the lions aren't there anymore. Since you've seen Central Oregon, for a "other leg of the trip", I-5 is a nice, scenery freeway, as much as I can't stand freeways, I have to say, the whole length of Oregon's freeway is really nice and the southern end is sweet swoopy curves. You sure have a perfect bike for it.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/28/2005 9:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We've been to The Mystery Spot, which is outside of Santa Cruz. It's a fun place to visit, but no real mysteries if you know something about optical illusions. The guy that built it all obviously did. My kids were only about 8 and ten at the time, and they got a big kick out of it.

I've been down a good portion of Oregon's I-5, and frankly it puts most of our California freeways to shame.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/30/2005 11:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Day 661

12,829 miles

Today I finally mounted the lazer-cut chromed stainless (!) H.A.C. Products radiator shield on the Nomad.

I managed to remove the stock radiator screen screws only by grinding slots in them with my Dremel Mototool, and using my largest screwdriver with a wrench on it for leverage and my wife backing me up on the opposite side of the radiator. Those suckers were so tight the threads were galled and mangled by the tinnerman nuts on the radiator. H.A.C. supplies nice new stainless button-head allen screws, which went in perfectly.

I did not have to drain the radiator and remove it, (thank heaven!) as the water pump outlet has so much overlap on the hose I was able to just loosten the clamp and extend the hose an extra 1 1/2". That gave me just enough clearance to access the screws with the dremel.

Hopefully this will offer extra protection from stones (the stock screen still resides right behind it) but at least adds extra flash to the bike and helps disguise that ugly black radiator.

Some pics:
1. The new cover.
2. Ditto.
3. Crappy stock screws after grinding and removal, plus a sharpened toothbrush handle used to loosten up the radiator hose.
4. Chrome-lust in the sunlight.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
r1.JPG
  461KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 293 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
r2.JPG
  472KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 345 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
screws.JPG
  448KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 278 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
chrome.JPG
  463KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 4150 time(s).

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/31/2005 9:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, on the test run up to Academy, the hose I'd loostened leaked. My first stop was at the gas station, just half a mile from home, and I knew it was leaking before I got there.

As I was gassing up, it had turned into a steady drip. I had my wife buy a couple bottles of filtered water, while I dug out the screwdriver and tightened the hose clamp as much as I dared. It was already quite tight, and I only managed another 1/4 turn. The leak subsided, and we set off with hopes that it would quit completely.

By the next stop, it had reduced to a single drop at the stoplight.
I gave it a good run up the highway, and by the time we got to academy the bike was fully warmed up, and the leak was gone.

This morning I cleaned up the engine case, and not a drip, plus it had siphoned up a couple ounces from the recovery tank. No leaking on the way to work this morning either.

Still there's lots of room for a second hose clamp on the water neck, so I think I'll put a second one on it.

At least I didn't crack the radiator monkeying around with it.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 5/31/2005 5:27:32 PM GMT

Mac_Muz
Steering Committee

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10321

Posted 6/1/2005 12:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hee hee hee just sneakin in here to peek... nasty little screws I see on page 5 too... Musta been fun.....

Me 6-01-05 and just about brain dead with packing, storing and finding new problems to deal with before the old ones are solved.. It does tend to keep me busy... We have scattered weather today and there seems to be a bright spot. It makes me wanna to play on the Nad, so I can get madam out sooner than later.

Not sure you know I thought I had more that 111 miles getting the nad home, but it was just 111, and about 12 since... madam has this taco bell dog I want to velcro to the head lamp housing, and maybe we will...

Chalupa? as in Juz drop de chalupa!! in a evil low tone......

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/14/2005 7:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 675
13, 270 mi.

I changed the rear brake pads last night, as they were actually starting to scrape metal (!)

This time I put on the genuine Kawasaki pads for the L5 bikes, which are 3mm thicher than the ones I've been buying from EBC. They are also $25 more per pair, but probably worth it. I wanted to change the rotor also, but there was just not enough time to do so.

I will try to change the rotor this weekend, and will have to dress the new pads, as they will have already conformed to the old rotor, and I won't want to transfer that wear pattern to the new one.

I inspected the front pads as well, and they are within 1mm of the service limit. I've already ordered new ones, but the rotors still lood good, so I will just scuff them off. I also ordered a new driveshaft boot.

After scraping the baffle folts on the mufflers repeatedly going down highway 245, I realize that I need to run more air in the rear shocks if I'm going to take a passenger through the tight twisties. The outer baffle bolts are both quite worn and need replacing.

Also I think one of my baffles is getting loose and starting to buzz a little. They definately need to be repacked, and I may add a little metal restriction to each of them to increase backpressure.

I'm surprised they've held up so well after about 12,000 miles of use, as the baffles in my friend's Bub pipes seem to get loose quite often.

I've worn my new Joe Rocket Santa Fe jacket twice now, and I really like it for hot weather riding. It got up to 90F Saturday, and 98F Monday and I was quite comfortable up to about 5000 ft elevation, where my chest did get a bit cold even with two shirts undernieth.

I drilled out the ventillation intake holes in my HJC helmet by about 1/8" this morning, trying to improve air flow. If this seems to help, I will probably drill out the exhaust vent holes as well. It's just been too hot for me to want to wear the Schuberth coming home in the afternoons.

I repositioned the lower windshield half and added a small rubber shim between the pieces and it's quit buzzing.

The lower radiator hose still emits one drip of coolant, every now and then, when the engine gets really hot. I don't dare tighten the hose clamp any more, so I will probably add a second clamp, as there seems to be plenty of room.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500
VROC #11619 Rolling Blunder #128

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 6/14/2005 2:36:08 PM GMT

Hiputong Stekward
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 178

Posted 6/20/2005 6:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
Day 71
2353 miles

The Nomad continues to run like a clock, and gets ridden every day. From the beginning I had wanted to install an add-on fuel injection computer, and I finally did so.

I had a lot of people tell me that  I should buy a Power Commander, instead of the TFI, but I bought the TFI. Before I ordered my TFI, I talked to 4 dyno shops and they all said to get the Power Commander instead of the TFI. Their reasons all sounded pretty convincing until I asked them the $64,000 question. They all told me the same thing too.

Is  the Nomad  a motocycle? 
   Do you explain some about add-on fuel injection computer?    I want to know about the main function of it.

hiputong  Stekward

Motorcycle is the most favourite for young!  email : hiputong@hotmail.com    MSN: hiputong@hotmail.com

Crash ©
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 7

Posted 6/20/2005 7:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Cadd...

Something to think about if you can deal with a little less knee room..  You can cap those filters off with your OEM breather covers...   Just need some longer bolts to hold 'em in place...   IMHO they just look a little better than the Spectre tin covers...  

I'd done basically the same setup you did about year after I got the bike..  Forgot I needed to plug that breather hole in the back of the left side though..  D'oh..  Rather than trying to plug the hole I just stuck the old filter and OEM cover back on it...  Ran it that way for 2 years or so, before getting tired of the mismatched covers...  I finally just yanked the left side stuff and cross over tube all the way out...  When putting things back together it occured to me the OEM covers would cap the filter just as effectively as the tin Spectre piece..  Of course by this point I've spent a good two hours hacking the crossover tube to pieces to get it out without having to remove the intake manifold and another hour cutting and installing a cover for the hole in the back of the right air box, so putting it all back together and having two MATCHING open filters isn't an option anymore...

Anyroads...  Lemme know how it goes replacing that drive shaft boot...  I've heard it's pretty much a PITA..  Two choices..  Pulling the motor out or pulling the back end of the bike off..

Rob "Crash" Duncan
Cordova, TN
VROC # 4282
WARB Agent #0079
2000 Nomad Fi "Kate"
http://groups.msn.com/InTheWind

Chasing the Wind Until I Catch It....

wanderer - roamer - vagabond - rambler - drifter - voyager - traveler - rover - explorer - nomad

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/20/2005 7:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

hiputong  Stekward wrote: Is  the Nomad  a motocycle?    Do you explain some about add-on fuel injection computer?    I want to know about the main function of it._________________________________________________________

Yes indeed it is a motorcycle. Here is a picture of my Nomad below.

I've made modifications to the bike to increase horsepower, but they require additional fuel to produce the additional power. The add-on injection computer works in conjunction (in parallel) with the stock computer and allows me to adjust how much fuel is delivered to the injectors.  

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 6/20/2005 3:01:46 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/20/2005 8:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Crash © said...
Hey Cadd...

Something to think about if you can deal with a little less knee room..  You can cap those filters off with your OEM breather covers...   Just need some longer bolts to hold 'em in place...   IMHO they just look a little better than the Spectre tin covers...  

I'd done basically the same setup you did about year after I got the bike..  Forgot I needed to plug that breather hole in the back of the left side though..  D'oh..  Rather than trying to plug the hole I just stuck the old filter and OEM cover back on it...  Ran it that way for 2 years or so, before getting tired of the mismatched covers...  I finally just yanked the left side stuff and cross over tube all the way out...  When putting things back together it occured to me the OEM covers would cap the filter just as effectively as the tin Spectre piece..  Of course by this point I've spent a good two hours hacking the crossover tube to pieces to get it out without having to remove the intake manifold and another hour cutting and installing a cover for the hole in the back of the right air box, so putting it all back together and having two MATCHING open filters isn't an option anymore...

Anyroads...  Lemme know how it goes replacing that drive shaft boot...  I've heard it's pretty much a PITA..  Two choices..  Pulling the motor out or pulling the back end of the bike off..

I've thought about using the stock covers from the get-go, but the intrusion on my legroom just isn't tolerable. Someday I might find or manufacture some nicer filter covers, but I can live with these, and they actually seem to match the time period from which the bike is styled, as they were commonly used on cars then.

I've had the whole swingarm and driveshaft off of a couple of these bikes now, and it is no problem if you have a lift and all the tools. I'm replacing my boot because I accidently punctured it.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

Hiputong Stekward
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005

Posted 6/20/2005 8:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...

hiputong  Stekward wrote:

Is  the Nomad  a motocycle?    Do you explain some about add-on fuel injection computer?    I want to know about the main function of it.

Yes indeed it is a motorcycle. Here is a picture of my Nomad below

So beautiful and strong your motorcycle is that I admire you!  I have never seen such a motorcycle as this in the street!

Is this motocycle 1500cc ? And how much will it cost you to buy a new one ?

hiputong  Stekward

Motorcycle is the most favourite for young!  email : hiputong@hotmail.com    MSN: hiputong@hotmail.com

Hiputong Stekward
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005

Posted 6/20/2005 8:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hey, CaddmannQ, in your article there exists some phrases that I don't know exactly, so I want to explain them to you. 

stock covers :   Are these the motorcycle's head-glass?
  filter covers:  the same as the above

get-go: the head part of motorcycle
  match the time period :   fashion; modern

hiputong  Stekward

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/20/2005 10:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thank you, Hiputong.
Yes, it's a very nice motorcycle. Basic cost new was $13,000 US, with taxes & fees I paid $15,000 US. Plus it has about $2000 in additional accessories, not counting labor to install, which was done myself. A motorcycle shop would have charged about another $1000 for instalation labor and machine work.

Regarding your other questions:

stock covers : Are these the motorcycle's head-glass?

No, that means the original factory covers over the air filters.

filter covers:  the same as the above

No, these are the new covers I installed over the new air filters.

get-go: the head part of motorcycle

Sorry, another idiom. "from the get-go" means "from the beginning of my labors".

match the time period :   fashion; modern

Partly correct, though the styling (fashion) is based on American motorcycles of about 50 years ago, which is consdered a classic era of American motorcycle styling. Many popular motorcycles of today imitate the styling from that time period of about 1945 to 1965.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500

Hiputong Stekward
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2005

Posted 6/21/2005 5:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hey, Cadd,   I find my English is in go ahead.    As for you , why not teach Chinese English ?  In this way, you might earn
much.
For most Chinese English is rather poor.
hiputong  Stekward

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/21/2005 8:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I earn much now. If I earn more, the proportion of taxes I must pay goes up with each additional dollar earned.

True, my profit will still increase, but the rate of increase lessens quickly. At some point, much of any additional money earned just becomes taxes. A person who makes twice my income does not pay twice in taxes. He pays three times what I pay!

By this method, the government discourages the very capable people from earning all the money and leaving the incapable people begging for work.

If too many prople go begging, the rest of us must pay extra taxes so the government can feed and house them. Plus without jobs to go to, they will engage in debauchery and crime, which requires more taxes to correct.

Listen: I have exagerated the above information just slightly to make it clear, but it is basically all correct from my point of view. People with other political philosophies will state that the motivations I ascribe to our government are incorrectly stated.

In other words, this is my opinion of why things are managed the way they are.

Also: Income can be "sheltered" from taxes buy doing certain things with it. I pay less tax because I choose to save money in investments. If I just used that money to buy new cars and things I do not need, I would pay much higher taxes.

To avoid taxes, very wealthy people shelter huge amounts of money by various means, many of which are viewed as slightly dishonest, but some of which are really illegal.

Cadd
2004 Nomad 1500