Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Nomad blogging continues...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
231 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 6/8/2008 1:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1757
30,973 miles

My matching chrome bumper for the front fender came and I put it on last night.

The same 4 bolts that hold this chrome doo-dad to the fork legs also hold on the front fender and the front reflectors and the front brake hose guides. I can tell you it was a pain in the butt to get all that stuff lined up at once without removing the brake covers, and front wheel, and without scratching the fender all up.
It took my wife and I over an hour, and then it didn't fit quite right & we took it all back apart.

If you buy one, IGNORE the instructions that say to place the chrome tabs inside the fender. Locate them between the fender and the fork legs or you'll be taking it all apart again like I did.

Anyhow, it all came together finally and looks pretty nice considering I got it for $100 (which is $54 less than normally advertized.) The big thing is that perhpas it'll protect that $450 front fender from being bent in some minor mishap.

LOL...Yes those are my white knees in the reflection, and we have been shopping at OSH.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 6/8/2008 8:07:49 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCF2436.JPG
  814KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 556 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCF2437.JPG
  808KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 367 time(s).

satyride
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 140

Posted 6/19/2008 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for all the input on Kawasaki. I never knew how good they were and that DIY work was ez. I did stage one and then got a bit mad hatter( complete tear down and true 1600cc build up ) as I have over 50 years in bikes. MANY FRIENDS WITH RACE SHOPS HELPED, I AM A FAIR WRENCH TOO. I was glad to have confirmation that the engine had great potential from your thoughts.Started out by selling my Magna to a neighbor, 13 years and 76,000 miles.It was perfect as most Jap bikes are if you just keep the up with routine maintenance. I rode the snot out of a 04 Marauder that a dealer could not sell. That's when my quest for a Meanie began. I lucked into a chap who did not know what he had . He was put off by the solenoid clatter. After he added some accessories and the 5 years extended factory warranty, and 3mos usage with get this ....140 miles on the clock ...yah...he took $ 6250 as a partial for a H-D.I have a habit of buying used( is that the right word..haha) Jap bikes with very low mileage. The Maggie had 1244 miles at 2 1/2 years, and was loaded with every accessory. Paid 4500 and sold for 2000,less all the accessories which I sold for 550 to a buddy from Ecuador with the same bike.See some mods on my page.Thanks again.

THE SATYR makes the/ and lives by the ....RULES...his own

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/28/2008 7:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm so glad you liked it! Lots of folks have told me they became interested in Vulcans after reading my posts here. Overall, it's very hard to beat the reliability and low maintenance of these machines.

I like your Meanie Satyr. Very clean bike & I've always been fond of the pullback style drag bars.

Who made the intake setup? Looks interesting.

We just did a rally across the Mojave Desert to Zion N.P. with 16 other Nomads. All the bikes ran great. The only problems were a pinched vent hose on one bike that caused stalling after a fill up, and one guy left his key on and ran the battery flat.

Mine is 3rd from the front in this photo. You can spot it as the only one with the chrome brake covers on the front wheel.

"When in doubt, ride."

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 9/29/2008 6:48:16 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/28/2008 8:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1777
32,393 miles

Time to change the oil again. No time to do it today. This is just a reminder to myself to do it.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/7/2008 11:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1786
32,463 miles

I went out to change my oil yesterday and I found my bike is leaking oil, and from possibly the worst possible place IMO: the inner water pump seal.

To change that seal according to the manual requires a complete engine teardown. I was about ready to s#!+ because I'm not set up to do an overhaul on this engine, and I don't have the time anyway, and I'd end up taking it to the dealer to have it fixed, pay them $1500 and then probably selling the bike because I won't trust it after they've worked on it.

I hope this is just a fluke. I remember Mac's 1500 spit out a drop of oil there (the weep tube) but then never did it again AFAICR. I didn't think I could be so lucky at this point.
The engine had used some oil on my 1300 mile ride to Mesquite & back, and that isn't unusual on a long hot run. There's a slight possibility that I overfilled it when we got back and it puked out some oil due to that. I measured the oil after I drained it, and I'd overfilled it by maybe 2 ounces max. Not enough to hurt anything, unless a whole lot has leaked out in the past 100 miles that I didn't see. I haven't seen any puddles of oil until this afternoon, when I noticed what probably amounted to 6 to 8 drops in a tiny puddle.

It's not leaking into the antifreeze AFAICT. Usually you'll see a film of water in the surge tank, because the oil floats to the top of the system & then blows out a little whenever you shut the engine off hot. Anyhow, I changed the oil, put in the normal 3.75 qts. of Mobil-1 and mounted a small plastic vial on that weep tube. Whatever comes out I'll catch it & see if it's leaking enough to make me worry. I trimmed the end of the tube a bit shorter for this, and noticed the end I cut off was rather dirty inside. Perhaps it's been plugged with dirt & collected some random drops that all finally plopped out all at once. I can hope, right?

I rode the bike until the engine temp came up & parked it. An hour later nothing at all had leaked from the tube. I rode it to work 10 miles this morning & parked it. 2 hours later I checked it again and nothing has collected in the vial. Evidently the leak isn't as bad as I thought when I saw that little puddle.

Someone has sent me instructions for changing both the seals plus the outer bearing without splitting the cases. It looks tedious and painstaking, but quite practical, and I will do it if the drip gets a lot worse. Of course it eventually will. They always do. If it takes another year though I wouldn't be displeased.

On a happier note, the right shock was leaking just a tiny bit, and I'd put some hydraulic oil with "seal swell" in it (Barsleak) just before I left for Mesquite. Evidently the leaking has since stopped. That's nice. Those air shocks are over $800 a pair with tax.

"When in doubt, ride."

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 7/7/2008 6:21:12 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/28/2008 7:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1807
32,755 miles

Oil leak update: Over the succeeding few days from my previous post, the weep tube had leaked about 2cc into the vial. About 3 weeks ago I bought (on the advice of Mac_muz) some Lucas synthetic Oil Treatment and added about 12 oz. to the crankcase. It seems to have cured the leak for now, as nothing has collected in my little vial for over 14 days.

WooHoo!

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/14/2008 8:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1855
34,158 miles

Well, after putting it off for some time (errr...like 4000 miles) I finally installed one of Chuckster's cam chain adjustment extenders, and it took less than an hour. Read the complete instructions here:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/cc_tensioner.htm

Of course I did the rear one (the easy one) first. Five things I did made it much faster.

First I did bought a very small ratcheting right angle screwdriver that would take small hex bits. This made access to the allen screws easy, and so (second) I did not have to remove the rear exhaust pipe, as the photos show on Gadget's site. (You could still leave it on and fumble around with regular hex keys, but the tiny ratchet was money well spent.)

Third, I had removed the reed valves and installed coasters long ago. This made it easy to reach around from the other side of the bike to remove and install the big cap.

Fourth, I have a Dremmel with a tiny cutoff wheel which I used to split the steel ring off the shaft.

Fifth, Chuck's machine work was spot on, and the adjuster went on with a nice light press fit. I padded my vice with aluminum and pressed it right together with no fuss. This meant I did not need Loctite, so I didn't have to wait for it to dry.

I was a bit aprehensive about the cam jumping time, as evidently I'd stopped the engine in absolutely the worst position. Both intake and exhaust valves were open, and the valve springs rotated both cams, taking up all the slack in the chain. I had to push the assembled extender in with some force to move the cams enough to get the two allen screws started. After that the ratcheting screwdriver made short work of assembly.

I needn't have worried, as once it was all together the bike started and ran perfectly. Except for the front cam chain which is loose enough that you can make it slap if you chop the throttle with a cold engine.

Another hour or so to do the other side (the "hard" side since the air cleaner must come off and the clearance between cylinders is a bit tight) and I'll be a happy camper.

I'll take some photos when I do the second one.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/21/2008 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1862
34,158 miles

Chuckster over on KawaNOW.org is selling Vulcan 1500/1600 cam chain adjustment extenders. You can contact him here:
[email]chuckster1_31@comcast.net[/email]

The idea is that the stock extenders run out of travel too soon and the chains go slack. This will tighten them back up for many 10's of thousands of miles. Often for the life of the rings and valves, so it saves you tearing the top end off until you really need to.

The installation is covered on Gadget's site here:
www.gadgetjq.com/cc_tensioner.htm

What they tell you but don't show you is how much trouble the left side (shifter side) of the bike is to do if you still have the stock air filter backing plates and crossover tube installed. This was the one time I actually almost said "screw it!" and cut off the crossover tube and tossed the left side air filter. Luckily I was able to do everything without doing that, and it wasn't too awful a task.

First off, I was very lucky. The engine stopped in a spot where both front valves were closed and there was no pressure on the adjuster when I removed it. This meant a lot less struggling on my part, because I did not have to fight spring pressure taking the bolts out.

Unfortunately, the Gadget page doesn't tell you about clearance issues with the oil lines. I believe this is because there is some slop at assembly and some bikes will have more clearance than others. On mine the rubber oil lines were pressing against the cap of the tensioner, and I could not remove it more than a few turns.

This I solved by removing the banjo bolt on the clutch-side end of the oil lines and pushing the lines through behind the engine. This allowed me to push enough hose slack up between the cylinders to get the cap free. Once the cap is off and the bearing race, springs, & ball bearing were removed, I could get to the two allen screws and remove the body of the adjuster. On both of mine, the gasket stuck the adjuster body to the cylinder and I had to rap the body with a plastic mallet to get it to spring loose.

Here air filter is off, and I've hoisted the plastic crossover tube as far as it will move (not far) with a bungee cord to the handlebar. You can see the oil lines (hoses) and the front cylinder's adjuster body. There are two hoses, and the arrow points to the one causing interference. I have already loosened the hoses in this photo and pushed them in between the cylinder a bit. The hoses are still very close, but they aren't touching the cap anymore.

This photo shows the oil line banjo bolt you must remove. Don't lose the little copper washers! You're supposed to replace them but I didn't. It will probably leak & I'll need new ones soon, but I didn't have them on hand. Notice how close the bolt is to the rear cylinder's adjuster body. It's very tight to get off, and would have been much easier with the adjuster body removed. Fortunately I removed the reed valves and installed coasters years ago, so I could stick my hand through from the left side of the engine to help R&R that banjo bolt.

Here you can see I've pushed the oil lines across the engine to get the slack I needed.

Here I finally have the adjuster cap off & the springs & bearing are removed. A tiny, right angled, ratcheting screwdriver with a hex bit loosened the lower bolt easily. the upper one was almost tight against the plastic crossover tube, and I stuffed a hex bit in a 1/4" ignition wrench (a very tiny box end wrench) and loosened it with that. Once loose, I could luckily remove the allen screws with my fingers. (I actually took this photo while reassembling the engine, and you can see the little steel tube, which is the adjuster shaft, sticking way out of the aluminum adjuster body. Before I removed it, the steel tube was way down in the body, indicating the adjuster was at it's limit of extension.

The new extender cap is shown here, mounted on the stock ratchet mechanism. I'm pressing the cap onto the shaft in a vise. Note that I've padded the jaws with soft aluminum angles to prevent damage to the shaft, and I am pressing ONLY on the ends of the shaft itself, and not putting pressure on the aluminum body or ratchet mechanism. This is very important. Because my extenders were a nice medium press fit, I was able to avoid using Loctite to keep them on the shaft. Make sure about this. If you drop a cap loose inside the engine you are seriously hosed.

"When in doubt, ride."

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 9/29/2008 6:51:11 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/29/2008 11:46 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 1870
34,180 miles

Well the Lucas Oil Treatment came back to haunt me.
I had almost stopped my leak completely. On the 800 mile round trip to Lake Almanor & back it leaked maybe 8 drips into my recovery vial, and used about 10 ounces of oil.

I replaced that with 10 oz. of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer, and it was a big mistake. My clutch started dragging between shifts and started slipping under full load.

Sooo....

I tied the clutch lever back & opened the oil filler cap, which on my bike gives a pretty good view of the clutch. Then I sprayed some solvent between the plates. I pulled the oil drain & let the oild drain for an hour. The I put the bike in neutral, sprayed more solvent through the clutch plates, rotated the engine a bit, sprayed some more, & repeated this about 6 times. I left the clutch still tied back and let it all drain/evaporate for another hour.

Finally I plugged the drain, and re-filled the engine with 10w-40 oil (which is a bit thinner than the 15w-50 I normally use) pouring it all through the clutch. Finally I capped the engine, untied the clutch, and went for a short ride. It appears that I was at least marginally successful. The clutch no longer drags, and it doesn't slip unless I punish it to extremes. I think even that may clear up after a subsequent oil change.

If not, I'll probably open the engine and pull the clutch apart to see if it's time to change the plates. From what I can see through the oil filler the plates are still over half there, so I might just scrub them with solvent and re-install them with a set of Judge's Clutch Washers, which I happen to have laying around.

Finally, I had to revamp my photobucket account and the links to some of my photos are broken. I'll get that fixed up soon.

"When in doubt, ride."

satyride
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 140

Posted 10/4/2008 1:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To the Cadd on his 6/28 question to me. Sorry I haven't been on this site in a while. I am doing things with the bikes but NOT RIDING , a certain sign of senility, stupidity and unhappiness.I am fortunate to have many friends in the motorwerks biz. they have given me time, equipment, some quite sophisticated, to indulge my (our) dreams of "if only".So the Meanie is a full 1599.5 cc,new rods,pistons cams,heads re-worked...on and on.Engine out of frame. We were all surprised at the quality of materials and most engineering for a mass production bike...good thing we had the BOMB (or is it?) My TK and HP are so smooth, AF ratio is almost 100% spot on. A small, just off idle up slope but probably helps to run it at a crawl with no throttle input and a slightly loopy 835 rpm idle when warm ( the new cam profile).Cold start ( Florida cold is 40F) (2x a year at 6AM) is one short press.I have developed the air intake by using a Thunder prods, "Hurricane"air box with the K&N. When I realized I was about to do fatter injectors, with the CR 10.4, that more air in /out ( in severely ported-flowed heads)using the computer modeling and flow bench (thanks RED) perhaps more air and velocity of the box re- design would be needed.The math said "YES". We set about using Empi VW(remember that company ?) They might have Velocity stacks. Now the stock VW engines were like boxer M/C engines air cooled..1500-1600cc,2v heads, 4 cylinders,1-4 carbs, .RPM limited,oil cooling too,..you get the picture. At 32$ for a pair of spun shinny Aluminum 40-45 mm throat diameter tubes and a height we could cut to match to length of V-Tube needed ...WELL..fun .fun..fun. on the cheap......We love a simple yet elegant solution.I finalized at 128mm H x40mm D.Siamesed the bells, Aluminum to Powder Coat Black gloss, The final touch was a screen to keep small birds from being sucked in.Back to flow bench ..found that a cross hatched patterned Stainless steel with red p.coating from a sink drain 1.39$ at Walmart was the best for turbulence & flow to match the V-stacks( 5 types-sizes were tested . I want a Nobel Prize damn it ) with low laminar adherence to throttle body side walls.( EH what DR. Watson?) My rear tyres were slicks at 6300 miles so on went 180x55x17 Dunlop Roadsmart(bi-compound) The latest BS from GP racing to your living room.The lathe cut placement holes in the top lid of the Hurricane along with minor milling on the underside to remove the K&N lip sealing ridge in a small clearance issue area,TIG welded everything ,smooth the seals(flawless) and Black PC epoxy over the removed original chrome.( it has to be bead blasted to remove chrome from the welding heat) The new air box sits at a 45 deg, angle , so there is NO leg interference . I am 5'10"-170lbs.Performance is a quite noticeable "seat of the pants"increase from cooler intake air because it sits out .... much further out from the mill. At 65 MPH-up to a GPS verified 127+ she roars thru a basic non-race oriented ( limiter set at 6250 but I shift at 6000 usually)street able Torque positive Cobra HP 2/1 with just a small mod(bolt splitter) . Hp is 99+, TK 102+ the Dyno Chart is at Beartooth Kawi under Dyno Cruisers. A PDF that I will try to post but does not always as I had to convert it to JPEG.Oh and my mental health is A-OK ..riding AGAIN...YES.Thanks for all your help again.

THE SATYR makes the/ and lives by the ....RULES...his own

Post Edited (satyride) : 10/5/2008 12:36:03 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
3.JPG
  1.17Mb (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 532 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
STAGE 3 DYNO (FINAL).TIF-1.jpg
  98KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 318 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
4.JPG
  1.15Mb (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 350 time(s).

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 11/11/2008 5:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, thanks for the report Satyr.

That's a lot of work and a whole lot more than I'd have time for. If I didn't bother to work for a living there'd be more time for that stuff, but so far I haven't been able to convince my wife that she should support me so I can retire early.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/2/2009 4:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2177
34,692 miles

If you look back over to my previous blog entry, you'll see I only rode about 500 miles in the past 10 months. Many personal issues have conspired to keep me off the bike, and having bought a new truck hasn't helped that situation either. Plus I haven't had any time to go on vacation or to do any real repairs either

Today I did go out and re-pack my glasspack mufflers, which were getting very noisy. Also so much packing had blown out that the baffles were starting to rattle.

I also had a heat shield that had crawled around on the pipe from thermal expansion/contraction and was rattling against the head pipe whenever I dropped the throttle. I loosened all the clamps and tried to twist it back into position with no success. I think it has warped a bit. I put a strap wrench around it and then twisted it straight, then tightened up the clamps, and now it doesn't rattle. Eventually it probably will again, but the fix is easy once you know where to twist it about.

I haven't touched the clutch, and it still seems to be working OK. It maybe slips a little easier when you launch the bike, but it's not slipping in top gear AFAICT. The waterpump seal, which is a real pain to replace, is seeping a bit still. I've lost about 1/2 a teaspoon of oil into my catch vial in the past 10 months. So far no drops of coolant have seeped into the vial, so I won't worry about tearing apart the waterpump quite yet.

There is some other coolant seepage, however, and I have had a rough time tracking it down. I think what is happening is this: the head gasket or cyl. base gasket has cracked between a coolant passage and a head stud passage. Coolant is running up the head stud and slowly seeping out under a head nut. I didn't suspect this before as no coolant has ever turned up in the oil, but one of the head nuts ends up outside the valve cover & therefore wouldn't leak into the cam area. Instead it is seeping out next to the rockerbox casting adjacent the decorative chrome valve cover, and running down along the top fin, behind a rubber vibration damper which masks it's path. Finally it drips off the back of the top rear fin at the leftmost corner. It appears to be losing just a few drops a week, and so I just wipe them up and ignore it. The bike is, after all, six years old now.

Mac suggested I might try some Alum-A-Seal, and I might, except that I'm worried that abrasion of the water pump gasket might cause coolant to leak into the oil.

Instead, I'm considering tearing the engine out this winter and shipping it off to have it re-built with a big bore kit. I've wanted to do that for some time--sorta--but now I have at least a potentially good excuse.

Back when I first bought this bike I lamented the fact that I liked it so much but really didn't want a water-cooled bike. I had this horrible vision of getting a lap full of 220 degree coolant when a hose blew out going across the desert.

Well that thankfully never came to pass, but instead I've been subjected to these minor coolant seepage issues all throughout it's life.

Well, it's life so far that is. At under 35,000 miles I'm not prepared to just give it up. ;) The sucker still runs like a raped ape, and considering it's age and daily transportation duties it still looks OK too.

I suppose life could be worse. ;)

"When in doubt, ride."

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 8/2/2009 11:25:46 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 8/3/2009 9:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great hearing from You Cadd, been missing your presents :-)

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 8/3/2009 11:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
Day 2177
34,692 miles

Instead, I'm considering tearing the engine out this winter and shipping it off to have it re-built with a big bore kit. I've wanted to do that for some time--sorta--but now I have at least a potentially good excuse.

Do it, man... I can remember how highly you thought of the Vulcan 2000, and I'm sure you'd enjoy the added power and power curve of a big bore kit.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/12/2009 4:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ya know, Tros, I might like owning a Vulcan 2000 even more. ;)

it's a moot point. I don't have the dough for either one right now; and I refuse to finance.

I'll just live with the Nomad for a while longer.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/12/2009 4:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
You must mean my presence, Lou.

I don't think I ever sent out any presents. ;)

"When in doubt, ride."

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/13/2009 11:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have to agree with Lou, Cadd in reading your problems to work on the bike, for really you can make things interesting to quite a challenge.  Sort of nice to read it all, but wish you had it cured in the first or last efforts. Unfortunately that is how life seems to go with its ups & downs to sometimes impossible.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 8/13/2009 6:30:13 PM GMT

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 8/13/2009 12:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
louemc said...
You must mean my presence, Lou.

I don't think I ever sent out any presents. ;)

I considered your presence a present :-)

Focus the forces, Be The Force

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/13/2009 5:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, maybe I'll post more often now that things are easing up at work.

I might be dressing incognito though...

"When in doubt, ride."

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
greg1.jpg
  215KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 295 time(s).

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/13/2009 6:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh my gosh NO Cadd for that is enough to scare the 'ell out of a human.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/15/2009 7:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
LOL Smitty! My little granddaughter Kaelyn made me put that on while she took my photo.
She is just seven years old, but has a marvelous sense of humor, and takes a nice photo too. ;)

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/15/2009 7:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day...ummm..6years exactly, so maybe day 2192 if I got the leap years right.

34,747 miles

I rode my Nomad home from the dealer on August 15th, 2003, and therefore today it is officially six years old.

Nearly 5 years back I decided it needed a name, and I couldn't think of one, so I held a contest here at Motorcycle USA to Name This Nomad.

The winning name was Baggins because it's a bagger, and because I was a fan of the hobbit stories (from whence this name came) ever since childhood. Baggins has been a good bike, and done virtually everything I ever asked (within reason) in the six years I've owned him. (I know machines are typically feminine, but if you're familliar with the "history" of the Baggins clan, you'll know why this one had to be masculine.)

My wife starts teaching again Monday, and I was helping her fix up her classroom most of the day, so I didn't get out to ride today, but at least I did get out to take some photos. I didn't get a chance to polish everything up perfectly, and Baggins wears a few scratches now, but he wears them well. I've put on some studded mudflaps last week, which I bought from a friend Lone Juan Valdez who was sad to find they didn't fit his 1600 Nomad. Baggins wears them now. He also still wears the bell from Laconia Bike Week, which Mac gave me nearly 4 years ago. It's dulled a bit since then, but it still has its charm.

Happy Birthday Baggins.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/16/2009 4:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well we took Baggins up and down the mountain today with no issues other than a minor bit of seepage.

Started, ran, and looked great as usual.

As for me, well I'm running slower and looking pudgier every year.

Will post photos later.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/17/2009 3:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

A few photos at Shaver Lake & along the way up to Huntington Lake. That's my friend Jim's Kingpin, and it is much lighter & faster than a Nomad.

"When in doubt, ride."

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 8/17/2009 10:54:26 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
thebikesatshaver.jpg
  109KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 295 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
jim.jpg
  115KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 287 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
jim_cad2.JPG
  102KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 322 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
vic_nad.JPG
  152KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 309 time(s).

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 8/17/2009 6:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very nice...

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."