Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Nomad blogging continues...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
231 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 8/18/2009 7:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Couple more?

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
cad_10.jpg
  30KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 328 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
cadend.jpg
  28KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 278 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
11.jpg
  59KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 296 time(s).

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/30/2009 3:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2205
35,016 miles

Today I changed the oil & filter & I checked the front brakes which were fine. The rear brake, however, was not fine, but the pads were not half worn yet. They were oily. Last weekend when I rode up to Pine flat with Jim I noticed that my rear brake creaked a couple times & was grumbling on a couple hard stops & I thought maybe the pads were down to the metal.

The right shock had leaked before, right before the trip to Mesquite last summer. I put some stuff in it to swell the seals & forgot about it, but 1000 miles have passed & it's now leaked all the oil onto the caliper.

I spent a lot of time cleaning it all up, cleaned & dressed up the pads, and put them back in. Hopefully all the oil that's going to leak out has already leaked out. (I can hope, right?)

The brake works much better now, and 90% of the stopping power is really in the dual front brakes, so I'm not too worried about riding it, even in the mountains. This will not remain of course.

I'm going to have to at least replace that shock and will replace the pads and probably the rotor. That stock air shock is about $350 & they are not rebuildable.

I've been holding out for this set of custom billet air shocks that are rebuildable, but they're $600+, & that's not going to happen any time soon.

I still need to change the fork oil but it's just a bit too hot in the garage today. I've been holding out on that until I install some Progressive Suspension fork springs, but again, I don't think that's gonna happen soon either.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/31/2009 5:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Evidently the pinion seal is leaking a bit too. A common problem on these bikes.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/8/2009 7:59 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2214
35,184 miles

I went up and down the mountain yesterday, and things went pretty well overall considering the the brake pads needed to re-seat (they did) and no more oil leaked from my right shock onto the brake until I parked the bike at home, where it dripped on the floor a tiny bit.

Saturday I added some Alum-A-Seal to the coolant. whatever this leak is it isn't much, because coolant is being recovered from the surge tank just fine, and the system was full to the very top when I uncapped it. It's something I wish could be checked more often, but the gas tank must be lifted to do so, and so it only gets done about twice a year.

I'm hoping that Alum-A-Seal doesn't eat up the coolant seal on the water pump, but as I know how now to change it without splitting the cases, I was prepared to take that risk. So far the drip tube on the water pump shows no sign of coolant, and the leak (or rather the seepage) seems to be reduced if not eliminated altogether. This stuff takes a couple days to see if it'll really do the trick, so I'll clean up what drips I suffered yesterday and check it again on the next ride.

My butt is still a bit sore from yesterday's ride. After 6 years the foam in the Nomad seat is giving up the ghost, and I'm clearly going to have to strip off the cover and re-pad it. At this point I don't see myself buying a Mustang seat or anything for it, but on the other hand-it's flaws notwithstanding--I think I'll be keeping this bike for a considerable time in the future. I'll certainly buy another bike when my finances allow, but I've grown too fond of this bike to sell it easily.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/8/2009 8:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A couple photos from yesterday's ride:

My friend Jim, on the twisties

Me on the same

Jim on the dam at courtright

I show off my Hooligan shirt

Wishon reservoir from high on the road to Courtright

The bikes parked on Wishon Dam

"When in doubt, ride."

Budoka
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 938

Posted 9/8/2009 8:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just curious Cadd, did you ever look into a big bore kit further. I was pretty amazed at the numbers Satyr got with his Meanie. That's some serious oomph, better than I got with my  Vulc.

Same road, same wind in your face!

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/8/2009 9:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I sort of lost interest. I really think my bike needs better suspension rather than more power.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 9/26/2009 9:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Day 2232

35,681 miles

I'm not going to be doing much riding for the next couple weeks. Sometime back I bottomed out the rear suspension heavily, with a big load on the bike. I didn't have enough air in the shocks at the time. Anyhow, shortly after that the right shock started losing a little oil. Now it's losing it quickly & has puked oil all over the brake disk. That, coupled with the heavy metalic pads I put on last time (I was distressed at the short life--though not the braking qualities of the carbon pads) has caused the disk to gouge heavily. I ordered a new one yesterday & will be changing back to the carbon pads from EBC. I think the Kawasaki metallic pads caused far more rotor wear in 2,000 miles than the EBC's did in 12,000 miles.

That disc is almost $200 with tax & shipping, from Kawasaki Parts Nation. A single new stock Kawasaki air shock is nearly $400 with tax & shipping. I found a good used pair for $75 + shipping, and from a guy I've done business with & trust (Joe "Chuckster" Norris who, BTW, machines & sells some various special parts for the Vulcan bikes.) Anyhow I should have the parts in a couple weeks. I'll de-grease the pads & rotor and ride the bike a bit, but until then no long rides in the mountains for me. 

I'm thinking I should change the front tire as well. The good news is I already have one. The bad news? well....

My front Metzler tire now has 13,175 and it makes the same slight growling noise in corners which some other folks are reporting, but it handles better than when it was new. When it was new, the contact patch was small & it tended to drop into turns until I reduced the air pressure to about 35 PSI. Then the steering got neutral, and grip in corners improved, but I think the lower pressure caused slight early cupping, and thus the growling noise. In truth the Exedra growled as well, once it got some real miles on it, but it lasted over 22,000 miles, and the Metz seems to be wearing out after far less mileage.

Anyhow I haven't been too unhappy with it--just not as wonderfully happy as I expected to be after reading reviews of all the people who liked it--and physically it is a bit smaller than the Exedra, even though they are marked with the same size.

When I bought it, I bought two, as I seem to go through tires quickly and I saved a bundle on shipping & tax in the deal. So I do have a new one to put on, but I'm not sure I want to use it.

It's a good tire, but I just think it would be better on a lighter bike than the Nomad. I'm also not happy that they are made in Brazil and not Germany any more. I've heard some bad comments about the Brazilian-made whitewalls too. (Though mine are blackwalls the comments about the whitewall's seperation & tread chunking do not inspire confidence.)

I'd like to switch to radials, but can't find them in the sizes I need. All the newer big cruisers have rears that are too wide for my bike, and fronts that are more narrow. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about tires at this juncture. Fortunately I seem to have a few thousand miles to go before I must decide.

Otherwise, I've done 4 recent trips through the mountains and some high-speed blasting on the freeway, and the bike seems to run as well as always, which is to say very well indeed. After 6 years the seat foam seems to be losing its life, but the cover is still in fine shape, and I will probably take it apart & put in some new foam. I have some really stiff stuff from a backpacking-type foam mattress that I think will work excellent. I always thought the Nomad seat foam was just a bit too soft anyhow. When I have some extra cash I may buy another used Nomad seat for the pan, and send that off to Russell to build me a custom Day-Long seat. Maybe.

"When in doubt, ride."

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 9/26/2009 4:28:42 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/11/2009 8:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2247
35,700 miles

I finally fixed my leaky shock. The shock was an issue though. Those things are almost $400 each, and my budget wouldn't cover that right now, along with the other parts I needed to do the rear brake.

I found a nice used set of shocks from Joe "Chuckster" Norris (who machines some custom Kawasaki parts on the side) for just $75 + $14 to mail them to Clovis. They arrived in perfect condition & all I had to do was put them on. I also bought a new rotor from Kawasaki Parts Nation, and I had a new set of the soft compound EBC pads ready, plus brake cleaner and plenty of rags.

I spent a grand total of $288 for rotor, pads, and a nice set of used shocks, plust a little time shopping around on the web. Two hours in the garage and everything was cleaned up, buttoned up, and ready to ride again.

Evidence of Labor: A pile of dirty rags, a new brake disk, new pads, and a gently used (and most importantly unleaking) shock absorber from the Chuckster:

Anyhow, it's all done plus I spent some time to polish up the whole bike a bit and go for a short test run.
So far so good and the shocks now feel as good as ever.

One thing I have noticed that will need attention: The rear brake hose is sleeved where it can rub, and it appears to be rubbing the oil filter quite a bit. The sleeving is rubbed through and the hose itself is starting to wear.

The brake hoses are 6 years old now, so time to change them out anyhow; or at least that rear one.

"When in doubt, ride."

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 10/15/2009 3:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good to see things are going smooth with the Nomad!

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have". - Thomas Jefferson

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/15/2009 2:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For what money and labor I've invested, I certainly can't complain. I've managed to do all my own work, and the only special tools I had to buy were the jack, tire irons and some rim protectors. I did buy the vacuum pump, but it was a luxury. ;) Since I have a hoist, I really could have done without the jack, but it was a present from my wife.

I've seen lots of folks spend more and ride less, that's for sure!

6 years old, the engine's never been apart, and when you crack the throttle it's faster than it was brand new.

There may be better bikes, but not for this kind of money.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/20/2009 5:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2256
35,742 miles

I ordered some new brake hoses today. I ordered the two-hose Goodridge kit for the front and the Galfer kit for the rear.

For some reason the Galfer front kit was the three-hose type, which I wanted to avoid. Also the goodridge rear was 3 weeks backorder.

So I wound up with mix and match, which will be OK. Anyhow I bought the expensive teflon-lined braided hoses, which really are far less expensive than the stock hoses from a dealer. Almost 50% of the dealer cost when tax is factored.

This is something I should have changed 6 years ago, but now I really need to change them & there is no more putting it off.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/5/2009 3:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2304
35,951 miles

I finally installed the new Galfer braided stainless rear brake hose today. It went pretty well, but it didn't fit exactly as stock. I had to fuss with it a bit so it wouldn't rub on the chrome engine cover.

Also the reservoir bolt only screws into a rubber grommet, so I used a different screw with a nut and some Loctite to re-mount it. It's still well insulated by a rubber washer and the original grommet.

I avoided bleeding the system manually by using an old mechanic's trick called back-bleeding.

I removed the caliper from the disk and pumped the brake pedal until the pistons extended and closed the pads. (If you do this make sure the pads are new, or use a shim so the pistons don't pop out.) I removed the old hose, installed the new one, and just barely snugged down the front banjo bolt, but tightened the rear one to specs. Make sure you index the end correctly first, as you don't want to loosen the bolt again and spoil the bleed or the sealing.

Then I recompressed the caliper pistons, forcing fluid back to the mastercylinder and forcing all air out of the hose. Use a rag around the loose fitting so you don't spew fluid on the bike.

Once you have the air out and fluid is leaking, push the brake pedal to exhaust air from the banjo bolt itself, then while holding the pads in and the pedal down, tighten the banjo bolt before releasing pressure on either, or you'll suck air in the hose. This requires three hands, or in my case two hands and a knee. but an assistant would have helped.

The pedal feels good, and I'm going for a test ride now to check the performance on the road. Soon I'll install the matching front hoses, and I'll perform a complete fluid change of the system at that time.

Upon inspection, the rubbing wear on the original rear hose wasn't as bad as I'd feared, but I'm glad I changed it as it's well over six years old.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 12/6/2009 7:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've done a couple test rides around the town, and the new hose DOES make a difference in brake feel. When the pedal is down, it's seriously firm. I'm hoping to put the fronts on over Christmas vacation. I'm taking one too. I've got two weeks of vacation time saved up to loaf and work on the bike.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 3/18/2010 8:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well here it is WAAAAY past Christmas, and I have done almost nothing on the bike. I have managed to ride it to work a few times, but that's about it really. We've had far more rain that in previous years, and I've barely put on 1000 miles in the past 6 months.

To do list:

Oil change
Gear oil change
Fork oil change
New front tire
Change front brake hoses
Inspect fron t pads & wheel bearings.
Inspect pinion seal
Change water pump seals & outer bearing
Grease u-joint
Check swingarm shims for wear & replace if req'd.

Actually go ride somewhere besides work.

"When in doubt, ride."
qmann at asdiengr dot com

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 4/18/2010 6:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2438
36,386 miles.

Well I've managed to ride less than 500 miles since Christmas, and every bit of that was quite local. Mostly back & forth to work as usual.

I only managed to put 1370 miles on the oil, but I changed it today, as the oil I previously installed was mostly intended to further flush the clutch, and was really thinner than what I like to run in the Summer here. I used Rotella T 15w-40 this time, and I'm happy I did. The engine seems much quieter and shifts smoother as well.

The coolant seepage seems to have abated with the use of the Alum-A-Seal. I still smell a tiny bit now and then, but there have been no noticible drips on the engine or the floor.

The oil, however, is leaking at the water pump seal worse and worse. My collector vial shows it's leaking over 3cc in 50 miles, which is close to a quart every 1000 miles. I suppose I'm going to replace that seal this summer, but I'm getting the impression that the clutch will need replacing first. It's definately not hooking up like it shood, though I suspect it will survive the whole summer if I don't push things too hard. I suppose I could just put in the shim pack I won in the raffle at at HSVROC a few years back, but I really don't want to open the engine unless I have a new set of plates on hand, and I don't have the extra cash for that this week.

I decided to install the Galfer braided stainless front brake lines today, but once I started stripping the necessary stuff off the bike I realized I couldn't do it without taking off the handlebars & top tree. If I'm going to go that far I'm going to strip the forks and replace the oil, AND change the front tire. (And maybe the wheel bearings.)

There wasn't that kind of time (or energy!) available today, so I spent some time polishing all the stuff you can't polish without removing what I removed (windshield, brackets, trim cover, light bar, and caliper covers.)

I'm supposed to ride to the coast March 8th, and it looks like I won't be getting around to all that stuff before.

Anyhow, the bike still starts and runs well, and it pulls with authority when you wack the throttle.

Life could be worse, eh?

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/14/2010 9:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2464
36,873 miles

As of today I have had Baggins for 6 years and 9 months. He still starts and runs well, and the paint still shines, but the clear-coated aluminum parts need to be re-finished. It has yellowed and worn through in places. The fork legs & top tree are most noticible. I had always wanted to have them chromed, but the money isn't available.

The trip to the coast last Saturday proved that my oil consumption (leakage) estimates were way off. In approx 320 miles I only leaked out 1.5cc through the water pump weep. I was riding fairly fast the whole time too, as the weather was gloomy and not too good for photography. That amounts to 1cc per 200 miles or one liter per 200,000 miles, so I suppose I will continue to live with this for a while.

Perhaps the fresh oil change helped, as I used RotellaT. I was short on cash & didn't buy synthetic oil. I also added just one ounce of that Lucas oil treatment. Previously I'd put in too much and it made the clutch slip. The clutch still feels solid since I flushed it, though perhaps slippage has increased just a tiny bit with the addition of the Lucas. I'm still using the Supertech ST7317 oil filter from Wal-Mart. I bought a bunch of them at one time, but now have only one new one left.

Because the VistaCruise causes a slight drag on the throttle, I did not realize that my throttle cables were getting a bit sticky. I flushed & oiled the cables & the difference is readily apparent.

I'd also noticed that the swingarm was developing some side-play again, so I added another 0.075" plastic thrust washer on the pivot shaft. This slop is quite noticible when riding slowly on roads which have longitudinal humps in the asphalt from heavy truck traffic & hot weather. When crossing the hump you can really feel the bike "twitch" as if the frame were cracked. All that went away when I shimmed it tight again. I used a split shim this time as I didn't want to remove the swingarm, and I was worried that it might not stay in place, but it stayed very nicely on my trip to Pismo Beach & back, so I suspect it will be OK until I do the next swingarm service at around another 6000 miles when it will be time for a new rear tire.

The front tire is only a bit above the wear indicators, and now has about 14,370 miles on it & is nearly 4 years old. I have a new one, but the motivation to mount it is just not quite there yet.

I'm sorry that some of my previous photos no longer appear. I will have to fix the links when I have some time. Back when I left the KawaNOW group, it was under VERY unfriendly circumstances, so I re-pathed all my photos at that time so they'd no longer display on their hokey website. Unfortunately that broke the links here as well.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 5/14/2010 9:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A shot of Baggins at the hotel in Pismo. My friends' Nomad 1600 in the background.

"When in doubt, ride."

moonshine99
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/12/2010 8:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice pics of your Nomad. Looks like she has given you things to remember.

Bdog
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/4/2010 10:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
New to this forum but not to Nomads. I'm from Ft. Mcmurray, Alberta, Canada. I've added a few goodies to my ride since getting her in 07.

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 11/5/2010 8:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome, Nice looking bike

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 11/26/2010 6:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I did a great ride on the Nomad recently, to Valley of the Fire, above Lake Mead.

The bike was flawless, though I did use a little oil. We were really running hard though most of the way.
My catch vial on the water pump weep tube collected only about 3cc of oil in 1000 miles. Not much to worry about there yet.

I'll post up some photos in the rides section when I get a minute.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/31/2011 5:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Day 2938
38965 miles

Not a lot of riding lately so not a lot of work going on.

I took a ride up through Yosemite with the Hooligans yesterday, and so I did a bit beforehand.

The gear oil was a bit low, & I changed it. Normally I change it every oil change but I skipped it last time. I'm glad I didn't this time as it was half low. A bit had gone out at the hub seals and more had gone past the pinion seal & into the driveshaft tube. I've been using Mobil-1 75-w90 synthetic, but I think I'll switch to some heavier stuff next change until I get around to replacing the seals (assuming it keeps leaking with the thicker oil. the factory oil is a tad thicker (80-w90) & I don't think it will hurt to run straight 90 wt around here, as it rarely gets cold. I wiped the rear hub when changing the gear oil, and didn't see any evidence of seepage after the ride.

The engine oil level was OK, but it should be changed soon. I collected about 5cc of oil leakage through the water pump on my ride, but it was over 200 miles & 90% of it happened within the first 40 miles, so I assume it leaks very little once it warms up. Eventually I'll change that seal, but it's a PITA so I've been putting it off.

The front tire is down to the wear marks & needs changing soon. I'll be doing that before I go out of town again.

Otherwise the bike ran flawless. It's not the quickest or the fastest or the most nimble of bikes (by a wide margin HehHehHeh...) but it still comes out of the hole like a monster. After 7 8 years of ownership, I'm finding myself well satisfied, and though I'd like to have a new bike, I'm not prepared to part with this one yet.

Not in the least. ;-)

"When in doubt, ride."
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com

Post Edited (CaddmannQ) : 10/3/2011 10:31:02 PM GMT

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 10/3/2011 8:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do like those Nomads. I would still buy one if I had the money. I am enjoying that you are keeping this thread alive.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/3/2011 4:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Tros.

BTW, I corrected my previous post. I've had the nomad 8 years as of 8-15-2011.

"When in doubt, ride."
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com