Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > First Look: Harley-Davidson Cross Bones  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
104 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Harley1
Forum Moderator

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 247

Posted 1/21/2008 11:41 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harley-Davidson introduced the newest bike in its Dark Custom line, the 2008 Cross Bones, and announced its exclusive motorcycle sponsorship of the UFC at a Viper Room party Saturday night. Check out this brawny new cruiser from The Motor Company and tell us what you think.

HogWild
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 5123

Posted 1/21/2008 2:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First the Nightster and now the Cross Bones. Ain't Harley old school enough without the yearly reminder. One of these days they will come up with something besides the V-Rod to really get them up to speed. In the meantime it would appear dump trucks with Springer front ends or want to be customs are the order of the day. Nice article though.

amish-biker
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/21/2008 4:17 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just saw the new Cross Bones. did the Motor Company buy the tires at Dunkin Donuts? Okay, okay, we get it. It's RETRO. Let's celebrate the past once again. Nightster is a hot (yet underpowered) bike. Fat tires are not retro, BTW. Von Dutch-esque stripes are cool, if not overdone by now. When are we really going to see something visionary from this company besides black and chrome? How about a cheap stripped bike we can buy and modify to our own tastes instead of a $16,000 "factory custom"?

norton
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 552

Posted 1/21/2008 4:45 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They're still beatin' that same tired old horse I see.

madfun said...

Sooner or later opinions fade, and the name on the tank matters not. I think that happens somewhere between 4th and 5th gear. Enjoy the ride... the rest takes care of itself.

Engine No. 9
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 600

Posted 1/21/2008 5:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I appreciated the pictures of the women at the unveiling party more than the bike.

schwartzkm
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 61

Posted 1/21/2008 6:58 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As long as it keeps working for them, expect to see them continue to "beat the same tired old horse".

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 1/21/2008 7:03 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
schwartzkm said...
As long as it keeps working for them, expect to see them continue to "beat the same tired old horse".

No doubt. Then, to make it even worse, the one bike folks are dying to get their hands on is only being sold across the pond. Yeah, they're taking orders for the XR1200 over there and we don't get it..... I went to a Harley dealer on saturday and they didn't have a clue what I wanted..... Now that's product knowledge....

aogop
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 252

Posted 1/22/2008 7:28 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ahhh..but you see the more styles they come out with help prevent them from making yet another "XX"th Anniversary Edition of the exact same bike every year lol. 

'06 DL1000

Dr. Bombay
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1328

Posted 1/22/2008 8:58 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The Viper Room?

Ugh, clearly another gimmick for the wannabe crowd. Probably sell a ton of them.

The bike is hideous. Let's stop pretending that everything that H-D produces is pretty. This thing is fugly beyond belief.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 1/22/2008 12:23 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, the Viper Room is a weird place for Harley to be seen at. It is an effete poseur club in Hollywood that is full of hangers on and actor wanna be's. Claim to fame is that River Phoenix OD'd there.
Ya, I used to hang out there back in the day before I knew any better, ahem..

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/22/2008 12:30 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
amish-biker said...
 How about a cheap stripped bike we can buy and modify to our own tastes instead of a $16,000 "factory custom"?
They have those already.  They're called Sportsters and start at just over $6700 new for Sportster 883 2008 model.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Evel's Baseball Bat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 21

Posted 1/22/2008 2:57 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like the Cross Bones. To me, that is what a Harley should look like. 17K seems really steep though.

HogWild
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 1/22/2008 3:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
amish-biker said...

How about a cheap stripped bike we can buy and modify to our own tastes instead of a $16,000 "factory custom"?
They have those already. They're called Sportsters and start at just over $6700 new for Sportster 883 2008 model.

Yep and by the time you get it built to your taste it will still be under 12K and working a whole lot better than Harley had it. I've had the Roadster for 4 years now and still love every mile I put on that bike. It is however far removed from the bike I purchased in 2004.

pms07
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1595

Posted 1/22/2008 8:03 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You guys kill me. They sell 350,000+ "same tired old horse" HD bikes a year. Must kind of be popular, you think? Anyway, whether you like it or not, choppers and bobbers sell...though the custom market has slowed down for sure. Not sure why either are that popular to start with and I don't want one. But if I were in charge of MOCO we would be selling them both. Now they are...I think HD will sell plenty of rockers (chopper) and cross bones (bobber) competing against customs; HD name, factory backing and warranty, significantly cheaper than a custom, etc.

Stripped bike you can buy and modify? Soft tail standard (discontinued in 08), Dyna SuperGlide and the Sportsters are exactly that.

jboland
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 90

Posted 1/22/2008 8:40 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All you haters can get lost - that's an awesome bike! A much better executed vintage style bobber than Streetbob (which I also rather like). I love the bikes from the 30's and 40's and this one recreates them better than any I've seen in recent years; the spring seat adds just the right touch. It's wayyyy better looking than the Rocker and beats the snot out of anything coming out of Japan. Sure its pricey, but so was the Springer Classic that it replaces, and its right in there with the Fat Boy and other Big Twins. The whole "Dark Custom" branding thing is cheesy and weird, but the MoCo sure is on to something with the blacked out look. I can't harldy turn around without seeing a Nightster or Street Bob roll by. By contrast, I still haven't seen a Victory Vision anywhere in Southern California. Boy, THOSE must be selling like hot cakes. But back to the bobber - I hope the new Indian is paying attention because I think a Scout bobber that harkened back the "golden age of motorcycling" would be a hot ticket too.

norton
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 1/22/2008 9:31 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Imagine the scene:
You pull up to the bar, looking cool for all the bros, some hot looking chick comes out and says: "nice bike, wanna take me for a ride"..... you're out of luck.
but hey, the bros still think you're cool!

The only new HD I would even consider buying to customize is a sporty, and then I would have a bike that no one else has.
 350,000+ that sounds about right. You can be an individual, a rebel, a lone wolf, exactly like 350,000 other guys.

Springer frontends are the worst! There is a reason that harley quit making them back in 1948.
Nostalga, BAH!
If you want an old bike, buy an old bike.

madfun said...

Sooner or later opinions fade, and the name on the tank matters not. I think that happens somewhere between 4th and 5th gear. Enjoy the ride... the rest takes care of itself.

Post Edited (norton) : 1/23/2008 5:38:33 AM GMT

pms07
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2004
Total Posts : 1595

Posted 1/23/2008 7:49 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
norton said...
Imagine the scene:
You pull up to the bar, looking cool for all the bros, some hot looking chick comes out and says: "nice bike, wanna take me for a ride"..... you're out of luck.
but hey, the bros still think you're cool!

The only new HD I would even consider buying to customize is a sporty, and then I would have a bike that no one else has.
 350,000+ that sounds about right. You can be an individual, a rebel, a lone wolf, exactly like 350,000 other guys.

Springer frontends are the worst! There is a reason that harley quit making them back in 1948.
Nostalga, BAH!

Well, many of us just buy motorcycles to ride...not to be an individual, rebel, lone wolf, impress chicks or look cool.  Try to separate advertising hype from reality man... 

norton
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 1/23/2008 8:00 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
pms07 said...

Well, many of us just buy motorcycles to ride...not to be an individual, rebel, lone wolf, impress chicks or look cool.  Try to separate advertising hype from reality man... 
That's pretty much the type of reply that I expected.

madfun said...

jboland
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 90

Posted 1/23/2008 8:01 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
norton said...

Nostalga, BAH!

1952 - the W model had the original springer front end until it was replaced by the K model in 1952.  But the new ones have a little shock absorber in them and actually ride and handle pretty descently (so I've read - I've never ridden one).  The worst part is that the factory can't fit the newest four piston brakes, so they brake like a 90's Harley instead of a 21st century Harley.  That's probably a deal breaker for a lot of folks. But I think for most people interested in a bike like this, they don't ride very hard anyway and it's still better than the hastles of owning a genuine vintage.   

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/23/2008 9:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
norton said...Imagine the scene:

pms07 said...

That's pretty much the type of reply that I expected.

What's wrong with his statement? While pms07 is interested in actually riding the bike, you've stated that you're interested in cruising bars for chicks with it.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

norton
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 1/23/2008 10:09 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is nothing wrong with his statement, It is just the stock reply that I expected someone to post.

Just take a good look at the bike, It is a single seater, no bags or windshield, it ain't no tourer, it's a sunday afternoon bar hopper.
The evolution of a product is dictated by the advancments in technology and/or creature comforts. Dual seats were added because customers wanted them (sell more bikes = make more money). The springer was replaced because it was heavy, had shitty rebound and ended up with major slop when the bushings in all of the pivot points developed wear. Adding the little dampener to the latest revision is just another HD Bandaid.
The hugh sales that HD has had is driven by one thing, the herd mentality. Someone said they were the coolest thing since ice cream and as more people bought into it, the more people bought into it. Harley isn't the best motorcycle on the market nor is it the most cost effective ( two things that a rational person consider when making a purchase). Why then would so many people pay thousands over msrp to get one? not for the bike, for the mistique - the lifestyle.
Again I say: Nostalgia, BAH! If you want an old bike, buy an old bike.

Not all Harley is rehashed retro whatevers - I wouldn't mind one of those Destroyers.

P.S. The last time I was in a bar was Christmas eve for a Christmas party - it was a long time before that. However, if I was to go to a bar, damn right I would look for the one full of hot chicks, wouldn't you?

madfun said...

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 1/23/2008 11:01 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The thing that amuses me is that I can remember the days when you rode a bike like that because all you could afford was a smacked up dresser from the police auction. You picked it up for a couple hundred dollars or less then took it home and sawed off all the bunged up stuff. Then you shot everything with black spray paint because you couldn't afford to have it re-chromed, until it finally looked just like the new $16,000 Cross Bones.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/23/2008 11:44 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
norton said...
There is nothing wrong with his statement, It is just the stock reply that I expected someone to post.

Just take a good look at the bike, It is a single seater, no bags or windshield, it ain't no tourer, it's a sunday afternoon bar hopper.

Just because you don't have a windshield, no bags and only a single seat does no mean that then all it can be used for is bar hopping.  it's up to the rider to decide where he/she wants to go.  I see lots of peeps on naked bikes up riding in the mountains, whether they are Harleys or Duc Monsters or Suzuki Bandits etc.
Just because the marketing shtick shows it prowling the mean city streets does not mean that you have to. 

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 1/23/2008 11:47 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
The thing that amuses me is that I can remember the days when you rode a bike like that because all you could afford was a smacked up dresser from the police auction. You picked it up for a couple hundred dollars or less then took it home and sawed off all the bunged up stuff. Then you shot everything with black spray paint because you couldn't afford to have it re-chromed, until it finally looked just like the new $16,000 Cross Bones.

C'mon Cadd, I still see those bikes and they look like crap!  Like they were pulled out of a fire.  The Harley is offered in other paint finishes, not just the matt black.  Even in the matt black it looks awesome.
$17K is a lot of money, but the top line Japanese cruisers top off at about $15K and it would take a whole lot more time and money trying to turn them into something that looks as cool as the Harley.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 1/23/2008 1:14 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're right. The Cross Bones is a lot shinier. Kinda like a gussied up whore. lol

It's really the total style of the bike that I'm refering to: the stripped down bobber look.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com