Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Get a cruiser, live longer  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
70 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 5/30/2011 6:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
"I guess the bottom line is that the bikes aren't the problem: People are the problem."

Keep in mind that I used to be a reporter for a local paper. When you write glaring headlines, show a picture of a smashed sport bike, list how terrible sportbikes are and end your article with a conclusion like that you shouldn't have hit the send button. This article is yellow journalism.

Agreed, it's the rider and not entirely the bike. Though, IMO, the bike provides temptation as would drugs. If one is incapable of controlling the urge, the end results could be tragic.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 5/30/2011 7:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The folks on this forum don't really represent what is average nor can they fit in any predesposed notion of what a cruiser, standard, or sport bike rider is. My main cruiser is reaching 40k miles this week. Compared to the Gold Wing they are two different worlds. I have to fight the Gold Wing to get it to do what I want, ok for straight line, long distance, if there are good wind conditions. On the main cruiser I just have to think about corners and their done. It can keep up with a sport bike with an average rider then make them look tied to a monument on a straight leg.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 5/30/2011 8:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
slopoke said...
The results would be the same if the younger crowd preferred crusiers, but unfortunately sport bikes are the bikes that most younger inexperianced riders are attracted to.

i can see that. which is why i don't buy the "bikes with more power are more dangerous" argument. it really depends on the individual.

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 5/31/2011 9:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
slopoke said...
The results would be the same if the younger crowd preferred crusiers, but unfortunately sport bikes are the bikes that most younger inexperianced riders are attracted to.

i can see that. which is why i don't buy the "bikes with more power are more dangerous" argument. it really depends on the individual.

That's where I have a problem with the author. He says that as the last sentence of the article, but not before cherry picking quotes from the local police department that paint sport bikes as these uncontrollable death machines. If it's the rider, not the bike, why is 98% of your article sweating the bikes so hard?

Also, this is the second anti sportbike article I have head that has referred to sportbikes as "low slung". I don't get it. The only thing on two wheels that is "slung" higher than a sport bike is a dual sport, and if you are viewing sport bikes from the average car, your head is about level with the rider's butt. So where does "low slung" come from? Does it just sound cool? I wish I had the link to the other article, willing to bet this dude copied it.

this is not here

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 5/31/2011 10:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
i can see that. which is why i don't buy the "bikes with more power are more dangerous" argument.
It's not an arguement, it is the truth.

Just like a .45 is more dangerous than a BB gun.

While the primary factor is the rider, if you have a bike that won't do over 90, then you will NEVER be killed in an accident when you are doing 120.

The bike doesn't CAUSE the accident but it does allow the result to be much worse.
Speed kills.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 5/31/2011 11:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bikes with more power are not more dangerous if they are used at moderate speeds. But if you are only going to ride at moderate speeds, where is the need for all that power?

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Meanie_Intruder

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/31/2011 12:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

While the primary factor is the rider, if you have a bike that won't do over 90, then you will NEVER be killed in an accident when you are doing 120.

The bike doesn't CAUSE the accident but it does allow the result to be much worse.

Speed kills.

BINGO! Well stated.

Richard47 said...
Bikes with more power are not more dangerous if they are used at moderate speeds. But if you are only going to ride at moderate speeds, where is the need for all that power?

Exactly! My argument for years though more related to the speed limit issues. Why make vehicles which can exceed the speed limit if we can't "legally" go over those limits anyway? Reducing the top speed of vehicles will save lives and reduce high speed police chases. Allow police vehicles to have fast cars, there isn't any reason for anyone else.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 5/31/2011 4:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard47 said...
Bikes with more power are not more dangerous if they are used at moderate speeds.
SIGH!!
Yes they ARE.

A small mistake with the throttle can cause disasterous results.......where a bike with less power is more forgiving of ham-fisted throttle twists.  Their generally higher compression also can make a mistaken downshift at the wrong time somewhat more dangerous too.

About 15 years ago, I got a Kaw ZL600 Eliminator, after not riding for a few years and coming from, I think, a Honda 350.  I was AMAZED at the punch about 7K RPMs; took off like a rocket. 

Unfortunately, I found that out when making my first pass on a 2-lane road with the new bike. 
Before passing went like this: Whip the throttle open, when you actually get a little speed then pull out and pass.  With the 600, one had to reverse those two things.
I whipped the throttle.......and was about 18 inches from the trunk of the car ahead before I got it whoa'd up.
So......after that, I would pull out BEFORE giving it gas.

If you don't ever make a mistake in judging the power output......or just a simple mistake with too much throttle......then they are perfectly fine.  But the potential for a problem is still there.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/31/2011 4:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
jon said...

i can see that. which is why i don't buy the "bikes with more power are more dangerous" argument.

lets see some examples where a .45 is more dangerous than a BB gun without any human input.

in regards to your speed point, which chose to go fast? the bike or the rider?

Post Edited (jon) : 6/1/2011 4:46:11 AM GMT

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/31/2011 7:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
Richard47 said...

Bikes with more power are not more dangerous if they are used at moderate speeds. SIGH!!
Yes they ARE.

A small mistake with the throttle can cause disasterous results.......where a bike with less power is more forgiving of ham-fisted throttle twists. Their generally higher compression also can make a mistaken downshift at the wrong time somewhat more dangerous too.

About 15 years ago, I got a Kaw ZL600 Eliminator, after not riding for a few years and coming from, I think, a Honda 350. I was AMAZED at the punch about 7K RPMs; took off like a rocket.

Unfortunately, I found that out when making my first pass on a 2-lane road with the new bike.

Before passing went like this: Whip the throttle open, when you actually get a little speed then pull out and pass. With the 600, one had to reverse those two things.

I whipped the throttle.......and was about 18 inches from the trunk of the car ahead before I got it whoa'd up.

If you don't ever make a mistake in judging the power output......or just a simple mistake with too much throttle......then they are perfectly fine. But the potential for a problem is still there.

That's a matter of user error, not the bike being more dangerous. There's nothing wrong with the bike, there is something wrong with the rider ham fisting the throttle like that.

The bike itself isn't dangerous, the rider is. To themself.

Is a rock dangrous? No. If I grab a rock and start smashing myself in the head with it does it become dangerous? No, I am creating the danger myself, not the rock. I am dangerous.

Superior braking, handling and power make motorcycles safer.

this is not here

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/31/2011 9:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bunchof6 said...
Easy Rider 2 said...
Richard47 said...

Bikes with more power are not more dangerous if they are used at moderate speeds. SIGH!!
Yes they ARE.

A small mistake with the throttle can cause disasterous results.......where a bike with less power is more forgiving of ham-fisted throttle twists. Their generally higher compression also can make a mistaken downshift at the wrong time somewhat more dangerous too.

About 15 years ago, I got a Kaw ZL600 Eliminator, after not riding for a few years and coming from, I think, a Honda 350. I was AMAZED at the punch about 7K RPMs; took off like a rocket.

Before passing went like this: Whip the throttle open, when you actually get a little speed then pull out and pass. With the 600, one had to reverse those two things.

If you don't ever make a mistake in judging the power output......or just a simple mistake with too much throttle......then they are perfectly fine. But the potential for a problem is still there.

That's a matter of user error, not the bike being more dangerous. There's nothing wrong with the bike, there is something wrong with the rider ham fisting the throttle like that.

The bike itself isn't dangerous, the rider is. To themself.

Is a rock dangrous? No. If I grab a rock and start smashing myself in the head with it does it become dangerous? No, I am creating the danger myself, not the rock. I am dangerous.

Superior braking, handling and power make motorcycles safer.

some can't seem to understand that concept bunch. saying this bike or that bike is dangerous is like saying how dangerous guns are. and no, i don't buy the "guns are dangerous" argument either. the shooter(s) on the other hand...

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/31/2011 9:41 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard47 said...

after owning bikes ranging from 35hp to 165 rwhp stock, this how i look at it: power is not needed but good to have when needed. if power is not care for then, why ride anything over 125cc at all? afterall, a 125cc bike is usually super cheap, great on gas and has enough power for highway speeds.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 6/1/2011 4:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hate to point out the obvious but most bike fatalities occur at intersections. The few high speed deaths are probably happening around 100, Ninja 250 country. Maybe a handful of fatalities at light speed. Get rid of blind car drivers making left hand turns in front of bikes doing 50 mph and watch fatality rates tumble. How many of you guys have had near misses from that?

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/1/2011 7:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
lets see some examples where a .45 is more dangerous than a BB gun without any human input.
Now you are just being ridiculous.

Just sitting there, not running, of course it's not more dangerous.

If it accidentally shoot YOU with a BB gun, the damage will be much less than if I accidentally shoot YOU with a .45.

More power = more potential danger.
That's true of bombs, guns and vehicles.

The fact that you don't happen to understand that doesn't make it any less true.

AND just so you won't think I am picking only on your precious sport bikes...........a cruiser with a huge engine is more dangerous than a small one too.  You can get in a lot more trouble.......and cause a lot more damage, with an 1800 CC engine than with my little 600.

Post Edited (Easy Rider 2) : 6/1/2011 2:53:10 PM GMT

Meanie_Intruder

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/1/2011 7:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let's try this scenario.

We have a new inexperience rider who rides a sportbike and a cruiser. The rider accidentally blips the throttle on the sportbike and the sucker takes him for a quick launch leaving his nuts behind veering uncontrollably towards an immovable object at a rapid rate of speed. Doing the same on a cruiser limits that quick launch most likely in half, if not more and provides a greater opportunity to control the bike due to the slower speed. Therefore, the sportbike is a much more dangerous bike compared to the cruiser. Of course, this scenario doesn't exist or has limited existence with an experienced rider but it doesn't eliminate the increased danger. If this were not true, then we, as experienced riders, wouldn't be advising beginners to start on a lesser power bike.

Overall, I agree, it's the rider, but you're putting a greater level of power and temptation into the hands of an eager rider and in the long run, is more fatal than that of a lesser power machine.

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 6/1/2011 8:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are bikes with brilliant handling safer than bikes with iffy handling? I'm not sure they are. Ten years or so ago I owned a V-Max and a CBR400RR, chalk and cheese in the handling department. Looking back on those bikes I reckon I was safer on the Max. I was very aware that the handling was not good and I rode round corners with that in mind. I never gave the bike a chance to get lairy. The 400 was a sharp handling machine and would easily go round corners a lot faster than I cared to go. Even so, I was probably cornering too fast for safety at times, it was very easy to do so. So, on which bike was I safer?

And talking of that 400, it had 59bhp and would do (and I sometimes did) the best part of double the maximum speed of 70 in this country. It would maintain 100mph no problem. When they had a production class for those bikes at the TT, one lapped at 109.27 mph. I can understand a rider wanting more grunt than 59bhp, but 170bhp? Why would anyone want that in a road bike? 

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/1/2011 9:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
jon said...

Just sitting there, not running, of course it's not more dangerous.

well, there you go...now we're back to the *human* error and faulty judgment make it dangerous again which btw is the original point of no bike is more or less dangerous than another but a human operator can make it more or less dangerous. what a waste of time. eyes

Divorce Online just claimed that 15% of all divorces are contributed by video games such as WOW and COD. perhaps, video games should be ban?

some also claimed that "motorcycles are dangerous", perhaps motorcycles should be ban too? then there are cars, sodas, alcohol, .....that have also been labeled "dangerous"...talk about "ridiculous".

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/1/2011 9:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
How many of you guys have had near misses from that?

i got nailed by a left turn cager in my first year of riding (my one and only accident thus far). of course he used the "I didn't see the bike" excuse instead of owning up to his error and say, I wasn't paying good enough attention.

maybe his old 80's mazda b2000 pick-up with very low hp output was just too dangerous so perhaps he should not be blame? lol

i agree with you on the fatality and lower speed correlation. besides city traffic, most of the bike crashes i've seen happen at less than 50mph and usually happened around a curve where a bikes' power output doesn't mean jack but a rider's skill, experience, and judgment means everything.

damn those curves, they are so "dangerous" because they make riders fall everywhere. freaked lol

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/1/2011 10:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(this is for Jon)
Took my 180 hp Sport bike over Ebbetts pass yesterday to see the depth of the snow drifts they cut though.

Bike worked like a champ...I was showing what we have here, to a visiter from Fresno. She rode a borrowed SV650...has a lot of track experience, some dirt (KDX 200) experience...almost no street experience.

She was giddy happy to get the rush of doing that pass, with banks of snow on the side of the road, up to about 15 feet in spots.

I took her over some extremely rough goatie roads down at hiway 49 level..the suspension on the SV was a disaster there...she couldn't
grasp, how it was that....the rougher it got...the faster I went.

I took her up Priest grade (highway 120) and some of 49 at Coulterville. Really made a day of it.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/1/2011 11:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
what a waste of time. eyes
It sure is.  All you want to do is rant and carry on.
If you would listen and think a little bit, you might learn something once in a while.

Your "don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up" attitude is booring.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/1/2011 12:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
(this is for Jon)
Took my 180 hp Sport bike over Ebbetts pass yesterday to see the depth of the snow drifts they cut though.

nice trip report lou, thanks! late snow season for sure. at least you don't waste time by claiming how much dangerous your 180 hp bike is compared to the 75hp sv then contradict yourself by saying "of course it's not more dangerous". lol lol lol

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/1/2011 12:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
louemc said...
(this is for Jon)

nice trip report lou, thanks! late snow season for sure. at least you don't waste time by claiming how much dangerous your 180 hp bike is compared to the 75hp sv then contradict yourself by saying "of course it's not more dangerous". lol lol lol
Nope...I don't see dangerous...coming from the bike.   Danger is a rider function (or lack of function). 

It's dangerous if the rider doesn't know diddly about bike features, and road conditions, and having a mental malfunction that blocks skill assessment and building.

But...my bike isn't dangerous, in fact it's the safest bike I've ever had.   It does just what I tell it to do, and does it quicker and better than anything that came before it.
How much power does it have?  It has what I ask it to have.  I have to know what I want from my bike, to be asking what I ask, from my bike. 

I know that You know what I'm talkin about.....By the way.. today they closed Ebbetts again....because the storm coming in, is a biggie.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/1/2011 1:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What Lou said. The way I see it is the danger comes from the human, not the bike. The bike is an object that is under the human's control.

You are the element of danger here, not the bike. The bike was specifically engineered the way it was for people that know what they are doing. The level of technical refinement involved exists to increase performance, but also to make the bike safer.

this is not here

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/1/2011 2:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bunchof6 said...
 The bike was specifically engineered the way it was for people that know what they are doing.
Nobody in this thread.......NOBODY......ever said or hinted at a high powered bike not being safe **IF** it was ALWAYS handled properly.

The problem IS that it is NOT always handled properly, either due to inexperience or due to stupidity.

In the hands of an inexperienced rider who does not "know what he is doing" or in the hands of an idiot.......a high powered machine is more dangerous than a tame one.

This is a fact.
Pretty much the whole EU knows and understands this.
I don't know why so many Americans don't seem to get it.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 6/1/2011 5:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I feel safe on the ZX-14, the Gold Wing is a manly mans machine, you need not be the size of a school girl, for it will take control. The scooter scares me the most, cage bait and full on defensive riding. Stats can be adjusted to whatever the goal of the author.  

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.