Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Get a cruiser, live longer  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
70 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 4566

Posted 6/1/2011 8:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

In the hands of an inexperienced rider who does not "know what he is doing" or in the hands of an idiot.......a high powered machine is more dangerous than a tame one.

Was the bike made for these people? No. So at that point the bike is being misused, correct?

We've wittled this issue down to semantics at this point, even though we are basically on the same page. The difference is that I feel like all of the blame should be focused on the idiot, not the bike. Saying the bike is dangerous implies that there is something wrong with it, and there isn't. There is however something wrong with idiots hotdogging sportbikes around.

If legislation occurs, wouldn't you rather have idiots removed from bikes than bikes removed from everybody? Language is powerful. To be honest I actually agree with the tiered licensing systems of European countries. Wouldn't mind seeing it in effect for cars, too.

this is not here

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/2/2011 9:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bunchof6 said...
We've wittled this issue down to semantics at this point,

Language is powerful.
Damn right it is.  And this discussion is not about semantics but about reading comprehension......and twisting word meanings into something that they are not.

Saying that something is "dangerous" does NOT also mean that there is "something wrong with it".

There are a lot of things in this world that work exactly as designed, and are essential for modern life, that are never-the-less inherently dangerous.  Electricity and guns come to mind immediately.

Whether you like it or not is immaterial.  Whether others want to apply a wrong solution to the perceived problem is also immaterial.  The fact remains that somethings are more dangerous than other things.  High powered vehicles is one of those things.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 6/2/2011 11:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

These so called columinists are sort of in their own world & make a lot of errors.

We had a situation on where some teeners held up a school buss, let all the students out drove to a RV firm where they wanted to trade the school bus for a proper RV & owner/manager walked away telling them exactly where they could shove that idea.

Several phone calls & a few blocks down the street to toss the kids into the clanger.  Infor to the media was a 357 revolver, BUT in actual fact it only had 38 Spl bullets.

So newspaper women wrote about the dangers & WHY would anyone have a 357 Magnum revolver for in talking with real target shooters they told he when a bullet goes through the target it leave a hole the size of a watermellon.

I typed to her & presented it to her, that a .38Spl which the kids had in the gun, & even a 357 Magnum load the bullet tips were EXACTLY the same diameter of .357" which most would have trouble putting a ball-point through or even the pinky of her finger.  Which is an honest to gosh fact in the shooting world or the world itself.  Still that was dumped into the trash.

So why look upon columinists as writing good column on something we know & they simply do not know?

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/2/2011 11:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...

Saying that something is "dangerous" does NOT also mean that there is "something wrong with it".

I said it implies that, and to clarify I meant that it does to the general public that doesn't know about motorcycles but votes on things.

Electricity itself isn't dangerous, electrical hazards are but that's not really a great analogy.

Guns left laying around loaded around kids are dangerous, but in the end it's the irresponsible parent/guardian that goes to jail, so how is it the gun's fault? At one point it is a hazard, but in general, it's just an object.

Here's the difference between us: I want to blame people, you want to blame inanimate objects.

Also, chill with the condescending attitude. It's not really helping your argument.

this is not here

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/2/2011 1:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bunchof6 said...
Here's the difference between us: I want to blame people, you want to blame inanimate objects.

Also, chill with the condescending attitude. It's not really helping your argument.
No that is not the difference.  I never said anything about "blame".

The problem IS that you are trying to read meanings into what I am saying that are NOT there.

Call it condesending if you want but you aren't properly HEARING what I am saying. 

I am stating a simple fact and you are trying to attribute some deep meaning into it that just isn't there.

I quit. Pointless.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/2/2011 2:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have any of you ever had a mature friend take the MSF and then offered to mentor them on one of your own bikes, (assuming you own more than one?)

I have and I had tree bikes in the garage to use to train these new riders, (both over 40 at the time).

The bikes to chose from for them to train on were/are a TL1000S Sportbike, an F800 Sport Tourer and a DRZ400 Supermoto.

Faced with those choices which would you have them ride?

Which would be your last choice to have them ride?

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 6/2/2011 3:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...

The bikes to chose from for them to train on were/are a TL1000S Sportbike, an F800 Sport Tourer and a DRZ400 Supermoto.

Faced with those choices which would you have them ride?

the one my friend is most confident and comfortable learning on with the least value that i can live without should he/she drops it.

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 6/2/2011 6:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have no intentions of searching for anyone who has advised new riders to go with a smaller, less powered bike, but I would like to know, if integrity actually exist within this forum, why many of you in here have offered that advice and if so, why?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/3/2011 6:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Meanie_Intruder said...
I have no intentions of searching

why many of you in here have offered that advice and if so, why?
What the hell ??

What's your purpose here anyway ?

I quite assure you that most of those who make that advise are consistant in their beliefs and recommendations.
Moreover, the answer to "if so, why?" has been answered repeatedly too.

Some are not........but I don't seeing any useful point is confronting the WHOLE user community here with a blanket accusations like that........unless your only purpose it to fan the flames and start another fight.

If you really care, DO THE SEARCH and confront individuals in private.......if you really feel the need.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 6/3/2011 6:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I may point out something else In 1980 a KZ1000 put out 90 horse at the crank. Now there are 600s doing that. KZ1000s came in touring, cruiser, sportbike and standard models all with basically the same engine. Even now the lowliest Victory is banging out that much horses. Power isn't the issue, it's how it's used. If I pass somebody in a car on a cruiser at 100 mph I'll look like a raging maniac, something even a Harley can do-downhill.

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 6/3/2011 8:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
What the hell ??

What's your purpose here anyway ?

I quite assure you that most of those who make that advise are consistant in their beliefs and recommendations.

Moreover, the answer to "if so, why?" has been answered repeatedly too.

Some are not........but I don't seeing any useful point is confronting the WHOLE user community here with a blanket accusations like that........unless your only purpose it to fan the flames and start another fight.

If you really care, DO THE SEARCH and confront individuals in private.......if you really feel the need.

You're reading more into this than what my intent is and frankly, I'm somewhat surprised that you're questioning it considering it's in rebuttal to the argument you and I both agree on. Perhaps I should have been more specific towards those in opposition of our definition of "more dangerous" but nonetheless, it's a harmless question.

If the answer to "why" is continuously repeated, then "why" is there an argument of a more dangerous bike? It's a simple question.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 6/3/2011 3:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Meanie_Intruder said...
I have no intentions of searching for anyone who has advised new riders to go with a smaller, less powered bike, but I would like to know, if integrity actually exist within this forum, why many of you in here have offered that advice and if so, why?

Lighter and droppable with a power band that does not amplify coarse control inputs, which is why the last friend I mentored learned on my DRZ400SM.

And yes, he dropped it twice at 0mpg...once on a downslope attempting a U turn where the bike actually landed on him.

No damage, easy to pick up.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/4/2011 9:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
LOL 0mpgs huh???? I get it its just funny

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 6/4/2011 11:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
LOL 0mpgs huh???? I get it its just funny

lol lol

I guess I pulled a "Smitty."

O mph.

I won't edit the original post with typo.

carlabunga
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/9/2011 8:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
what is a directional?

Carla

Beauty is not caused. It is.
Emily Dickinson

bunchof6
Troll/Squid/Spambot

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/9/2011 9:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think it's one of those maps they post at places like the mall or a zoo, that shows you where you are in relation to other things, so you can find them easier.

this is not here

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/10/2011 8:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
carlabunga said...
what is a directional?
It would be helpful if you would quote a tiny bit of text.......so we can see it in context.
Going back and searching for the post in question is a BIG pain in the butt.  smilewinkgrin

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 7/27/2011 5:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wish someone told me that on my Harley

Thank you little girl in the Subaru for t-boning me.  And thank you also for trying to claim that you weren't moving and somehow I slid my bike sideways into the front of your car.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 7/29/2011 5:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Holy cow crap desmo,that just happen? dimwitted girls and scooby doos are never a good combo. How did you slide the bike like that? lol hope you arent too messed up. Unreal.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 7/29/2011 11:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
it was last year. Girl who had a license for only a couple o months t-boned me.
Said someone honked at her to go, so of course she did, no matter that I was there...

Then, AFTER giving the police report, she tried to change her story - no matter, no-one believed her...
Anyway, point being no matter what you ride, sh1t can happen.

Børk! Børk! Børk!