Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > alright all you cruiser purist, don't shiite in your pants just because the diavel has been...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 7/29/2011 4:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
named "Cruiser of the Year" by cw. It is what it is because the diavel is categorized as a 'cruiser'. ;-)

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 7/29/2011 6:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nothing compares.

Slow, fat, heavy, poor handling because it's a cruiser no longer is a valid excuse.

Bravo Ducati!

Also named cruiser of the year by motorcyclist magazine.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 7/30/2011 2:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I wouldn't call it a cruiser. But even if it was I would like one.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Meanie_Intruder
Posted a Pic of a Man Thong

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2099

Posted 7/30/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One must always take into consideration the group who picks the award. In many cases, it's reflected from sponsorship and advertisement within the organization and magazine.

On the plus side, I think it's a bad ass looking bike but I wouldn't label it a cruiser.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people"

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 7/30/2011 12:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Hyper" Cruiser? lol

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 7/30/2011 5:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...

Also named cruiser of the year by motorcyclist magazine.

yep, saw that too. at the same time naming the kawasaki ninja 1000 as their overall motorcycle of the year.

what's strange is motorcyclist named the bmw k1600gt as their "touring bike of the year" over the 2nd place concours 1400. i thought those models were sport-tour. i think using the k1600gtl instead and other tourer models would've made more sense for the "touring" category.

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 8/1/2011 6:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, the mainstream motorcycle magazines have always hated cruisers anyway so it's no surprise they choose a non-cruiser as "cruiser of the year." Except for the cruiser-oriented magazines, most motorcycle mags are essentially sport bike mags. They like sport bikes and that's how they evaluate everything: Speed, handling, etc.

Funny that so many magazines have just "discovered" the "Power Cruiser" seeing as how they've been around for almost 30 years (the Honda V45 and V65 Magnas debuted in the early 1980's, and the Kawasaki Eliminator and Yamaha V-Max made their appearance a couple of years later.)

The problem is, judging cruisers by sport bike criteria is pointless because cruiser riders don't value the same things as sport bike riders. It would be like criticizing a Jeep because it takes 12 seconds to get to 60mph or it takes 20 seconds to do the quarter mile. Or, criticising a Ferrari because it doesn't have 33" tires, a locking rear differential and a low range transfer case.

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/1/2011 3:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cruiser is a muddy definition at best. I'm taking two weeks vacation to visit with a couple of old Army buddies this month. I find the Gold Wing a bit tiring after 100 miles or so. My body has adjusted to the ZX-14 and for me it is more comfy. Go figure, plus the GW isn't a cruiser, ??!!. Passengers love the GW far more than the Kwak. The Kwak gets better mileage, passes with super ease, and for me the first choice for a cruiser. The trip is from Utah to Washington state, a hard 15 hour ride.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.