Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > HD Ultra Classic  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Bullet
That guy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 720

Posted 9/8/2011 12:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So most people know I sold my Z1000 a few months ago and moved from Salt Lake City. I looked at a 2006 HD Ultra Classic today. It's a special edition called "The Peace Officers" bike. A little special badging but not much else. The bike belongs to an ex- police officer.
It's in really good shape with all the bags, bells and whistles. Took it for a ride and it pulls strong, brakes are good and all around in great shape. He wants $16,000 for it. I looked on KBB and all they have is the standard Ultra Classic. Does anyone have an idea about this price? I think it's a little high but it is a collectors bike. Also, anyone heard good or bad about this model? Thanks in advance.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/8/2011 5:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whats the mileage? My buddys cop bike just had to under go minor surgery,gear drive cams,plastic cam tensioner goes kaput at 30k. Pricey surgery as well.
Sound high to me,but Im not an affectionado either.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 9/8/2011 5:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mileage is low, 5500 miles. No typo. The guy takes really good care of the bike, he just doesn't ride much. I did take that into consideration on the price. I'll see if anyone else chimes in about any possible problems or advice.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/8/2011 6:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bullet said...
 I'll see if anyone else chimes in about any possible problems or advice.
My only advice is to shop around to get a real feel for the market locally.

In my area, and other places I've looked too come to think of it, the used bike market is FLOODED with Harleys......or every size and shape.

I would think that the KBB or Edmunds price would be an absoute top.
One usually can't expect to recover much of anything on "upgrades".

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 9/8/2011 6:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have my eye on some other bikes too. I will say that it is a big bike and I'm not a really big guy. It's really set up for touring and although I'm fine with that, I think I'd like to have something to just cruise around on. Guess I'll wait a bit and see what comes up.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/9/2011 7:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bullet said...
I will say that it is a big bike and I'm not a really big guy.
Me neither.  I wouldn't consider a bike like that for a split second.

I've got my 600 Shadow decked out for "touring".......but my touring is pretty relaxed.

It really doesn't have to be something big and fancy.  smilewinkgrin

If I need to do 600 miles in one day, I take a cage.

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 9/9/2011 8:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bullet, a lot of people get the impression that the big harleys are meant for big guys. Thats honestly not the case in the ultra. The ultra is actually designed to fit the "average" person for size. I actually feel cramped on the big harleys if they have lowers. they are set up low and have good ergos for almost any size I would say.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 9/9/2011 1:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This limited edition is purely paint/stickers. I guess it would mean something if you were a cop etc, but if you're not I personally wouldn't get it, just because many may assume you are and thus 'earned' the right to the bike.
When they were new, Harley only sold them to cops/firemen etc. The regular civilian couldn't get one.

Anyway, in 2009 the touring Harleys (Raod King, Street Glide, Road Glide, Electra Glide) got a serious make over with a completely new chassis. Transformed the handling of the bike. For $16K you could get one of these, used.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 9/9/2011 3:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One way to find out the real value, is call your bank and ask how much they would finance on this particular bike.

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 9/10/2011 7:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I passed on the HD. I'm going to look around a bit. I'd like something a little smaller in size. The search is still on.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/26/2011 5:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bullet said...
 I'd like something a little smaller in size.
Doesn't really narrow down the field too much..

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Bullet
That guy

Date Joined Apr 2008

Posted 9/27/2011 1:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmo, I bought a used 2006 Suzuki M50. That bike fit me a little bit better and is smaller than the HD. Nice cruiser to just run around town or take a day trip somewhere.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 9/27/2011 6:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bullet said...
Desmo, I bought a used 2006 Suzuki M50. That bike fit me a little bit better and is smaller than the HD. Nice cruiser to just run around town or take a day trip somewhere.

Very cool, congratulations.

Fit is very important.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/21/2011 11:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Bullet, of interest, in my area we have a number of females that prefer & buy a HD.  Basiclly because the saddle is low so they can get both feet down at the stop sign or whatever.

We have a gal at the gun range sort of thinking for another m/c from her HD she sold some years ago & yes it will be another HD of good engine size AGAIN for the lower saddle position so she can plant both feet at the same time.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.