Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Kawasaki Vulcan 500 Engine Issue  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

icebox
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 13

Posted 11/15/2011 3:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey all,

My wife was recently in a motorcycle accident.. She's ok, but the bike was laid down around 20 mph, left side. Luckily I was on my own bike nearby when it happened. The bike was on its side running for about 45 seconds before I got back to it to kill the engine. A small amount of fuel and oil was on the ground. I stood the bike up, got my wife and the bike home.

Since then, she's ridden it maybe 60 miles, and it has been idling a little rough. Today she took it for a ride and said it backfired a couple times, and smelled like it was running rich. I started the bike, and confirmed that the left cylinder is missing, significantly.

So I pulled the tank, checked the plugs. Left cylinder plug was damp with oil/fuel. Right side is fine. Checked the plugs by swapping them and listening for a misfire on the right side.. Wasn't the plugs.. Held both against the cylinder head and checked spark: both spark blue/orange.

The left cylinder seems to have compression.. (not sure how much, but the starter is working harder to turn the engine over with the left plug in as opposed to out).. I don't think it's the carb.. the cylinder is getting the fuel.

Any ideas or thoughts as to what might be the cause of the misfiring? Where should I troubleshoot next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability. Thanks guys!

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 11/15/2011 8:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My guess is that the left exhaust pipe is leaking or the carburetor manifold cracked. Get the bike running and spray WD-40 on the left manifold, see if the roughness goes away. Kawasaki builds a fairly stout engine, I may be wrong but I doubt it's engine damage. More likely something got kinked or kicked in the fall.

icebox
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 11/17/2011 10:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks! I'll check those out today. More to come.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 11/17/2011 11:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
icebox said...
Any ideas or thoughts as to what might be the cause of the misfiring? Where should I troubleshoot next?
Did you also post this on another forum ?
I could swear that I have answered it once already.

If one cylinder really is running WAY rich, the the float might be stuck in that carb.
A few raps on the float bowl with a screwdriver might help.

If it's fuel injected, you're probably gonna need a dealer visit.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

icebox
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 11/18/2011 1:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, haven't posted this issue anywhere else. I'll check the floats as well. (it is carbureted) Thanks! Trying to wait for better weather here in S. Florida.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 11/18/2011 7:24 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The plugs might be OK, but you might have a cracked plug cap on the side that's rich.

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
qmann at asdiengr dot com
http://hooligancruisers.proboards102.com