Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Custom/Cruiser > Need help in which harley to buy  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
30 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Show Newest Post First ]

Fanos
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 5

Posted 12/12/2011 12:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have had bikes since i was 15 years old. Now for a few years i own a yamaha royal star 1300cc and want to buy a harley but dont know which one. Can someone help please?

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/12/2011 12:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fanos said...
I have had bikes since i was 15 years old. Now for a few years i own a yamaha royal star 1300cc and want to buy a harley but dont know which one. Can someone help please?
unfortunately no because you are buying it for you and not us. only you would know which rings your bell so start by visiting the showroom.

Fanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/12/2011 1:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know that but i want a harlay with 1000cc or more and i was just asking for just some reccomentations in which is the best size and style after the royal star. I like for example the road king, bobber and the crossbones.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/12/2011 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fanos said...
i was just asking for just some reccomentations in which is the best size and style after the royal star.
The correct answer is: A new Royal Star. smilewinkgrin

What IS it that you think the Harley will have that your present bike does not ??

Answer: Nothing.

People who say things like "I just want a Harley......." are doing that for all the wrong reasons.

P.S. How old are you NOW.......19 ??
And can you afford to pay cash for a new bike ??

If you are really stuck on this Harley kick, there are a TON of used Harleys on the market right now.
There are some deals to be had......if you look long enough and have some patience.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

Fanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/12/2011 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No i am 33 years old and yes i have the money for a new bike. I always liked harleys but never got the opportunity to buy one thats all. I just need help not judgement.. If you can help that good and i will appreciate if uoa cant thanks anyhow..

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 12/12/2011 1:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What do you want your Harley to have? Lots of chrome, or little chrome? Shiny paint or matte paint? Windshield or no windshield? Carry a passenger or no passenger? Hidden rear shocks or visible rear shocks? Hard painted saddlebags or no saddlebags? Narrow wire wheels or fat cast wheels? What kind of riding are you going to do? New or used? What is the price range?

Answer those questions and see how it matches up to what Harley offers on their website.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Fanos
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 12/12/2011 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks man i'll actually will do that.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/12/2011 3:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would add that you really need to take a look on craigslist. Some folks are hurtin,looking for some christmas money selling bikes in a wide array of conditions,for cheap.
Good luck.

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/12/2011 6:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fanos said...
 I just need help not judgement..
Why do you "like Harleys"; what is it about them that you like ??

The point IS that nobody else can tell you what YOU will like in a bike.

And while it might have come across as a smart-assed comment, the question about what you want in your new bike that the old one doesn't have is a serious one.  Deadly serious.

If you just "get a Harley", you probably will be disappointed.

Many (all ?) Harley dealers offer test rides.
If you ride in on a big bike and let on like you have cash, I'm sure they would be more than happy to arrange some test rides and help you decide.
Seriously.

'06 Suzuki S50 (VS800)
'07 Honda Shadow VLX 600

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 12/12/2011 7:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Aargh,..... huge scooters. For me a Harley is far better than a Gold Wing. Neither one has much grunt but I do enjoy riding my buddies Harleys. They are road machines and not poser rides like a custom $40k worthless POS. My 82 Gold Wing is a pleasure to ride, the loaded one is a nightmare for a small guy like me. Do some homework and figure out for yourself want you really want. Play your own game.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

06victory
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 18

Posted 12/13/2011 3:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Picking a Motorbike is like picking a woman. You want something wild, attractive and sexy. Only you can tell what pushes your buttons.

mrmarklin
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011
Total Posts : 299

Posted 12/13/2011 4:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to www.Harley-davidson.com for a comprehensive look at the models, then get to dealer for a test ride.

All the bikes are good. Only you can decide what you like. cool

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mrmarklin/IMG_6142.jpg[/IMG]

2008 Harley-Davidson Crossbones

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/14/2011 1:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
06victory said...
Picking a Motorbike is like picking a woman. You want something wild, attractive and sexy. Only you can tell what pushes your buttons.
Pretty much rules out the Suzuki Vstrom.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 12/20/2011 6:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah but, even with wild, attractive and sexy women, you have to be able to live with the bike on a day to day basis. Test ride the ones you like and make your decision for yourself. I agree, a motorcycle, either by brand or style, is way to personal a choice than to ask 100 people, "which one I should buy?"

You want it to look good under your butt? Choose the bike that does that for you. You want it to just putter around town and short rides on the sunny weekends? Choose the bikes that does that for you. You want some ass-jewelry bling-bling bike to polish all the time, fine, buy that one. You want a bike you can ride across country for days and days, choose a bike for that. You have to choose what you want the bike to do for you. Just by your admission of liking the Road King, Bobber and Crossbones indicates you need to ride each one to determine which best suits you. Those three bikes are very different in actual day to day use, even if they are all Harleys.

Of those three, to me only one makes decent sense as a day to day bike, the Road King. But then, I'm riding BMWs for the past 23 years.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 856

Posted 12/20/2011 6:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Buy the bike you like, regardless of what others say. Only you will be riding it.
There are some that will try to talk you out of getting a Harley, (sometimes jealously, or bad experience) but if it's what you want, go for it.

I ride a Softail Heritage because it rides and handles so good, and fits me perfect.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 12/20/2011 11:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MDGeorge said...
I ride a Softail Heritage because it rides and handles so good, and fits me perfect.

As perfect as a kitten in a sweater?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 12/20/2011 1:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...
MDGeorge said...

As perfect as a kitten in a sweater?

I don't know about a kitten in a sweater... tongue
My mother used to say "snug as a bug in a rug"

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 12/20/2011 2:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MDGeorge said...
Buy the bike you like, regardless of what others say. Only you will be riding it.
There are some that will try to talk you out of getting a Harley, (sometimes jealously, or bad experience) but if it's what you want, go for it.

MDGeorge has officially crossed over to the dark side. shakehead

I am a rather big guy so the only harley that really work for me are the big touring models. the softail heritage is cramped to me. The best suggestion is to get on one and see what fits you best.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 12/20/2011 4:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...

MDGeorge has officially crossed over to the dark side. shakehead

It's nice on the dark side.

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 12/20/2011 4:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I dunno, I think its much nicer on the soft and warm side,......cute kitties can get away with everything.

MDGeorge
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2008

Posted 12/21/2011 1:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AHHH, The avitar.
That went right over my head.
I woke up at 2:am and it hit me.

Post Edited (MDGeorge) : 12/21/2011 8:41:18 AM GMT

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 12/21/2011 4:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What hit you? those breasts, the kitten, or the fact everyone was ooggling over them?

Best bike out is the one Im on,sod the rest lmao
current hacks

1996 honda vfr
2012 tuono rsv4 aprc on order baby.... march 2012
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125 I have broken her back. I feel guilty. she may have to be laid to rest.

Post Edited (el SID) : 12/25/2011 3:18:05 PM GMT

texrider
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 12/21/2011 7:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fanos said...
Good luck choosing, they all seem quite similar... Don't forget to remove those stock mufflers as soon as possible, to be saving lives and all.

This is my opinion. There may be others like it, but this one's mine until further notice.

Andy VH

Date Joined Apr 2005

Posted 12/22/2011 5:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Must be hard to eat your morning oatmeal with your tongue stuck in your cheek. I'm assuming you are being sarcastic about the pipes. But lets go easy on the new member asking for our opinions on his bike choice, and lets also hope it doesn't turn into another bike proving how loud it can be.

Hellfighter
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 201

Posted 12/22/2011 9:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
texrider said...
Fanos said...
Good luck choosing, they all seem quite similar... Don't forget to remove those stock mufflers as soon as possible, to be saving lives and all.

Assumptions and generalisations. Thanks heaps!!

On Iron Horse He Gladly Dies