Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MCUSA Site/Forum Questions & Suggestions > Anti spam filter  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ghunt81
Finally cruisin'

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 517

Posted 8/3/2009 11:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does the Anti-Spam filter really need to be a minute and a half for those of us that have been here for awhile?

On more than one occasion, I've posted in a thread, then went to post in another thread I was reading and run into the spam filter. I've never been on another forum where the spam filter made you wait quite that long to post again.

'08 V-star 1100 Midnight Custom
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'94 Ford F250 4x4 diesel
'78 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin-sold
Morgantown, WV- Home of the Mountaineers!

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 8/3/2009 1:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
unfortunately our spam filter isn't advanced enough to say that a user after "x" amount of posts can post as frequently as they want.  I'll see what I can do to adjust it to be more timely.

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2468

Posted 8/6/2009 12:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It would be fantastic.

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/7/2009 11:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Though if one of use decides to send a Post or Thread to quickly after the prior one THEN the time to wait is most sensible.  SPAM is the true trouble maker every once in a while.

I take if none of you have been a monitor.  I was well before being on this board & some so called m/c riders came on with the most foul language & openly admitted getting into an argument was the fun of it all.  In my case I could wipe them out & continued to wipe our all previous sensless crap to also the same with others that were in on this FUN of tearing each other down. 

Which does remind me of loosing a section on this board as so many took to almost doing the same in a small way.  The chaps doing he monitoring on this board are NOT paid a lot of money to do the job you might not realize.  For it is VONUNTEER WORK. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 4/16/2010 6:14:00 PM GMT

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 4/15/2010 7:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would be, I just deleted another eight posts this morning from spammers selling all sorts of cheap crap.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 4/15/2010 9:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
Would be, I just deleted another eight posts this morning from spammers selling all sorts of cheap crap.

Now how am I gonna get rid of that stuff? lol

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/16/2010 11:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy has a good point especially with those trying to sell us on SPAM.  So we are on another section & decide to send an answer to the origial Thread------that bit of exta time is not that much of a problem to any of us.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/13/2010 5:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...
Andy has a good point especially with those trying to sell us on SPAM.  So we are on another section & decide to send an answer to the origial Thread------that bit of exta time is not that much of a problem to any of us.

We could talk about it here forever but the EVENTS of today should pretty much prove that the anti-spam features in place here do nothing to deter a determined spammer.......but does inconvenience the legitimte users a fair bit.

IF.....the spammer that attacked today hadn't been so stupid, the few hunderd (and still going) posts they made could easily have disrupted every forum that is on here.

So......I think that more or better screening needs to be done up front.......and/or the moderators and admins need to pay more attention to what is going on (ie check in more often; this spam attack has been going on for close to 24 hours now).

Excellent forum; great users......but if the word gets out that we are an easy target for spammers......might as well pull the plug.  cry

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 6/15/2010 6:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree, but it can be tough to get the sponsors of the site to spend the bucks on elaborate spam filter systems as the forum is here more as a social service than a money maker for the sponsor.

The big deal with spammers, whether it be shoes, handbags, bikes and now meds, usually their very first post is "come to this excellant website" and then post the web address in the message. Seems to me that one easy method would be that any brand NEW member cannot post a message which contains any link to a web address, or directions to a web address, without first having posted at leat five real posts without any web address references in the message. That may be enough of an effort and time deterrant to make the spammers seek an easier target.

For us non spammers, after the minimum numbers of posts, the system would allow for an imbedded link or address. It would be a hassle for some new members. But then, it may also weed out those people that simply want to troll about and cause trouble.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/15/2010 4:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Andy VH said...
I agree, but it can be tough to get the sponsors of the site to spend the bucks on elaborate spam filter systems as the forum is here more as a social service than a money maker for the sponsor.
While not perfect, the best spam blocker is a human being.....that must manually approve membership and the first post.

Simple, easy and cheap.
Not fool proof but almost so.

A lot of forum software has that as an option; just check the box.

Treefort
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2006

Posted 6/19/2010 12:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After the amount of time I've spent on, and help I've received from, this forum, I given the privileges, I'd be more-than-happy to go spam-busting.

Jimmy Carter

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:33 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 500,924 posts in 39,661 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 21237 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, whhhhhaaaat.
1 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details