Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MCUSA Site/Forum Questions & Suggestions > people near me ?  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rohan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 14

Posted 9/16/2010 8:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I moved to portland (yay) and i did get myself an r6 a month ago but unfortunately i dont know any other biker here. so is there a section for people to get to know other bikers near by or did i not find that section?

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 9/17/2010 7:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
rohan said...
is there a section for people to get to know other bikers near by or did i not find that section?
I haven't found one either.
I think the best way is to put bike and location in your "profile".

<<<<<  Like this.

Unfortunately few people do it; makes it kind of hard.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 9/18/2010 1:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I think this can be a downfall in m/c riding.  I did a lot of practicing in terrain like what I raced in, but no one was willing to come out with me even from the start of '47 till I had to give up dirt comp what with a home accident of a broken hip in winer of '69.  Still it never stopped me from riding ALONE as I have been doing since '46.

I know of two to three chaps will buy m/cs & then several of them will drop out of the sport for some reason or another which is hard on the one that is left for he/she is NOT at home in riding alone.

Like when I moved from Edmonton Alberta to Winnipeg Manitoba it was puttering around the streets with none hitting the hwys & it took a while to get them interested in Scrambling, to flat tracking to Observed Trials--Mind you for for the hwys alone I had my 1000cc Vincent HRD.

Then in moving to Banff National Park to set up a Sport Shop with a partner, bascially for climbers to skiers, all I saw around there was mopeds & scooters by Jawa, NSU Prima & Lambretta .  Slowly these scooter riders shifted to 200cc two-strokes & though not competitors they were willing to be at an event to see me in action.

Moving to this small town in the Okanagan Valley it was basically, though I had a flat tracker, to Observed Trials along with a Scrambler though a street iron being what most would look upon as a Cafe Racer.  Then the bikes came from the big four in JPN, but really most of them just puttered around the streets.

I was with three sportbikes in my garage & sold one to a neighbor that understand m/cs, but that was 13 yrs ago.  I rarely see a sportbike but see a maze of HD to Cruisers as that seems to be the fad.  No loss to me for I have always ridden by myself being 95% of the time I am up in the mountains of the very terrain that I live in.

Drop down to a few of the m/c shops to see the bikes, to all the m/c riding gear, get to chatting with a few of the other customers, to salesmen & that is a way to run into a few that your might ride with.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 10/13/2010 1:02:52 AM GMT

GeoffG
Instant Classic

Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 10791

Posted 12/18/2010 12:39 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a local motorcycle board? For example, there is a board called bcsportbikes in my area, and I know some of the members here are also on a bay area bikers forum; one I can recommend is sport-touring.net, which has a section with several sub-forums each dedicated to a particular area. MCUSA seems to be more of a general board, not too much regional information here.

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 12/18/2010 10:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GeoffG said...
 MCUSA seems to be more of a general board, not too much regional information here.
I hope to help correct that before spring !! (Key word is "hope".)

I frequent several forums; all have riders in my "region" but none have a good mechanism to get them together.
(Well ONE I was on started to........but then I'm not welcome there anymore.) rolleyes

So I thought I would "steal" the idea they had going there and offer it across forum boundaries.
In Google Maps, you can make a "personal" map and publish a public link and invite others to post a "pin" in your map at their location (as specific or general as you are comfortable with).  This seemed to work extremely good; other forms of this that I've seen didn't work good at all.

At this point, I have only looked into it briefly but it looks like the setup will be fairly simple.  The only problem I forsee is putting an email addy or other contact information on your "pin" since (hopefully) people will participate from more than one forum.

I am presently preparing for a 7 week "vacation" (alas, without the bike) so don't know how soon I will be able to do any detailed work on this.

If anyone has the time and wants to "beat me to the punch", feel free to forge ahead.

A Google search might find a local forum; I think I found a couple near me just by using "motorcycle and my city name".

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/18/2010 12:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When I am wandering around up in the mountain roads, I like to  ride, if I am thinking of a cuppa of tea of coffee & I spot a restaurant with just one or several bikes, I will pull in there.

After all when one comes in with helmet under arm, to protective riding gear then sometimes those already there will envite you over & main conversation is MOTORCYCLEING.  Yes if the only person in a restaurant & in comes a rider then a nod to them & in a while the rider as sat down with me to chatter a bit about m/cing.  Not that I will ride with them for so often they are headed in another direction.

You could do the same thing if you live in cities of where you spot a few bikes at a coffee place.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:34 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 500,924 posts in 39,661 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 21237 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, whhhhhaaaat.
1 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details