Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > Around the world on a Classic Suzuki  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
162 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 106

Posted 10/27/2009 12:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Name: Chris Sorbi
DOB: Sep, 17, 81

www.motorcyclememoir.com

What you see on this website is the collection of my journals, photos, videos and reports of my everyday life, riding a classic Suzuki motorcycle around the world. The expedition started in Helena, Montana. From there I rode to Canada before turning south toward Latin America. Self supported, I will be traversing 6 continents, 200 countries and territories, 24 time zones and 130º of latitude. I am working with both non-profit and non-governmental organizations all along the way, raising awareness and funds for ‘world hunger’, while humbly trying to make a difference, however small it may be.
Home is both “here” and “there” or somewhere in between. Sometimes it is “nowhere”. For me, the border is no longer at any fixed geopolitical site. I carry the border with me and find new borders wherever I go. I believe in a race-less and borderless world. Being black, white, yellow or purple does not define us. We only get one life and one ride, so let’s leave our differences behind and enjoy this train before it has passed. It is just a ride and we can change it any time, it is only a choice, between “now” or “never”.
Imagine all the money spent on nuclear weapons and meaningless wars each year, all the embargoes and sanctions imposed upon innocent people – trillions of dollars. If we spent that money feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, not one soul excluded, it would pay for itself many times over. We could explore our globe together, forever in peace.
Let’s not forget that my opinions are just like everyone else’s. They are all personal evaluations of certain situations in a given time. Scratch every opinion and underneath it, you will find a human being, trying to defy and justify his own existence. What follows is the account of my struggle: first-hand, unbiased, and uncensored.

If anyone is interested on updates to be posted here, please make a comment (let’s hear from more than two people at least) and I will post the updates with pictures regularly here.

[center]Many thanks to all the members who've contributed to this noble cause.[/center][CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]A few dollars here and there goes a long way.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit the expedition website to get up to speed: www.MotorcycleMemoir.com[/CENTER]

Post Edited (Chris Sorbi) : 8/24/2011 3:58:05 PM GMT

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 17674

Posted 10/27/2009 7:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chris, I definately think you should post your exploits and photos here. This is Motorcycle USA, but people from all around the world--from Canada to the UK, to the Himalayas, China, S.E. Asia, Eastern Europe, Russia, Mexico, South America, to the Land Down Under--all post about their adventures here.

We have a serious readership (and a large number of Suzuki fans) dedicated to motorcycles and travel by motorcycles. They would like to hear about every aspect including how you prepped your bike, how you maintained it along the way, and how it faired--its strengths and weaknesses--and also how well you yourself survived the journey.

(After you reply, I'll move this to the Ride Reports section, where it is most appropriate to the forum.)

"When in doubt, ride."
Cadd................................Clovis CA
2004 Nomad 1500............"Baggins"
caddmannq at yahoo dot com

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 10/27/2009 7:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went to your website, well written and great pictures! The classic Suzukis are great runners. My 78 GS1000 I had for some 95,000 US and some Euro miles. Never failed me. Durable as heck and easy to maintain, and that's what you need in a journey like you have taken, Chris.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 10/27/2009 10:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, thanks for having me here. I’m going to start with a summary of what I have done to bring you up to date.

I started on Aug, 15th 2009 in Montana and headed North West for the Glacier National Park. My plan was to reach the Arctic Circle before snowfall so I rode the Alaska Highway all the way to Yukon territories and rode the Klondike highway to Dawson city. From Dawson, I took the infamous Dempster highway and after struggling in mud for 3 days, I stood at 66 degrees north on September 15th.

On the way back I came down the Cassiar highway with 3 flat tires and couple of close-calls to Vancouver. I’ve been riding the western states since and am currently in Bakersfield CA.

I will leave for Mexico shortly and from there to South America before heading for Africa.

If you are interested in reading the older posts (which you should, lots of pictures), please visit my website at www.motorcyclememoir.com. Under the sponsor logos, you can search my archive or categories and find all the goodies of the past. Here are some pictures to start with. I will update this page twice a week as I write my journals.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/27/2009 11:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just awesome!

I read about the oil leak. Very surprising. My UJM's never had more than the most minor of seepage.

I'm gonna put this thread in Ride Reports now.

"When in doubt, ride."

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 10/27/2009 10:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True bikers are rare, thanks for the input.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/27/2009 10:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great read on a rainy day over here. Thanks!

RedDog

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 10/27/2009 10:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well thanks guys. Good to see bikers who like to read the reports. The oil leak was from hell but i got it under control. I now carry a spare gasket with me just for that reason.

Thanks for moving the post btw.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 10/27/2009 11:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice Chris, if i have the time and resource, i would love to ride around the world too. my recent trip across america is puny compared to your around the world trip. thanks for sharing.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/28/2009 7:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's a great start, Jon!

Me, I would never ride around the world. I thoroughly enjoy other riders reports. Guess I am too chicken for that, even being a Viking an all. Well, at least I ride where the Viking went and then some - and that includes OK ...

BTW Chris, my old '78 GS1000E had one issue one time that we caused dropping the bike on its right side coming out of Rapid City for several weeks ride West: I burnt a couple of them charging spools. So from there on, wife had to be the push starter until I got it fixed - and no lights in the dark shortened the riding days. But that's it for issues with that bike.

RedDog

Post Edited (RedDog) : 10/28/2009 2:54:57 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 10/28/2009 12:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What an adventure!

Great pics by the way.

Ride safe.

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 10/28/2009 3:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I fixed the leak in Vancouver, CA with the help of local guy who read my posts. He offered his garage and we changed the gasket and got back on the road. It was an absolute hell riding like that in traffic as the oil dripped on the hot pipes and a cloud smoke came up to my face. This is what my pants looked like confused  good waterproofing thoughroll

I'm hunkered down here in southern California at the moment, I have a lecture and slideshow in Barstow on the 9th and after that I will go for Arizona. Mexico is getting closer every day. Check out my website for the older posts and get more familiar with the expedition. www.motorcyclememoir.com

Chris

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/29/2009 9:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, that's a lotta damn oil.

I'll bet it was hot too.

My main quibble about buying a water-cooled bike was the fear of getting a lap full of boiling coolant when something blew.

That oil gets much hotter!

"When in doubt, ride."

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/29/2009 10:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have had a leg and boots like that, 1970 comping back from Netherlands I sprung a leak on the top gasket/oil seal on a Triumph Bonneville. Kept my left leg very warm!

RedDog

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/29/2009 10:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph would of called that a feature. Auto treating the Barber waxed cotton rain suit. and before electric heating as well.

Dang I Don't miss the old days lol

Focus the forces, Be The Force

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/29/2009 10:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I remember blowing the oil feed line on a two-stroke. That oil was cold (tank side of the pump) but I do recall my mom asking me why I was wearing one brown boot and one black boot.

"When in doubt, ride."

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/29/2009 4:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CaddmannQ said...
I remember blowing the oil feed line on a two-stroke. That oil was cold (tank side of the pump) but I do recall my mom asking me why I was wearing one brown boot and one black boot.
LOL! Moms know! My mom did not like oilspots in the hallway ... burger but that was the only place with lights and heat in the Fall in the cold country.

RedDog

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 10/30/2009 2:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well i was wearing 4 pants since the temps were below freezing the whole time. I couldn't tell if the oil was hot or not but i could see the dollar sign on every drip as i added 4 quarts in 250 miles. Now that's a lot of oil.

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 10/30/2009 2:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Oct, 29th. And that’s how it goes…

To be a revolutionary, you first need a revolution. —Ernesto Guevara

I have an addition to this famous line; to have a revolution, we first need an evolution.

We live in a time in which the world has never been healthier, wealthier, or more advanced, but absurdly, the condition of the poor has not improved for centuries regardless of our advancements. With blood-sucking organizations such as the World Trade Organization or International Monetary Fund leaving nothing for the poor and only caring for their own power, Leonard Cohen’s song mingle in my head, “The poor stay poor and the rich gets rich, and that’s how it goes, and everybody knows…” 

Does everybody know?

November is bladder-control awareness month! We have a month dedicated to not pissing our pants but shamefully and shockingly, there is no month or even a day dedicated to the number one cause of death: Hunger. No pretty pink ribbon, no merchandizing propaganda from Energizer, no bracelet to be sold at gas stations and sadly no one seems to care.

Hunger-associated disorders kill 36 million people each year worldwide. This is more than coronary heart disease, stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases, lower respiratory infections, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diarrheal diseases, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, trachea, bronchus, lung cancers, road traffic accidents, prematurity and low birth weight, COMBINED.

Let me rephrase that because it is vaguely important. Hunger-associated disorders kill more people than the 10 major causes of death, but our government is more concerned about banning artificial sweeteners because it increased the rate of bladder cancer in laboratory rats that were fed large doses of saccharin!

child-deaths

The question remains: Why should we care?

Remember the hurricane Katrina victims? They had faces. They had media coverage. They had the whole world watching. We still failed to give them their most basic needs. Now imagine a family in Ethiopia or Haiti with no media coverage, no Wal-Mart to bring water, and nowhere to turn. Their story could be YOUR story. All it takes is one heavy cloud, one strong wind, one earthquake.

I don’t have superfluous expectations, I know that change won’t happen overnight but you can have a share in it. If we all sit down and do nothing, nothing will ever change. It takes one step, one dollar, one person at a time. The first step is raising awareness and every single one of you is capable of doing so. Spread the word. Send this message to everyone you know, whether via Facebook, MySpace, forums, or email. It takes less than a minute of your time to care and the result is undeniable.

You can refer them to my website at www.motorcyclememoir.com. To make donations to reach the goal for the month of October, please visit the donation page on this site and make it a reality.   

Revolution starts with evolving our resources and ideas. We are far away from revolution. Let’s evolve, revolution will follow.

Post Edited (Chris Sorbi) : 10/30/2009 9:12:12 AM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 10/30/2009 11:04 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately any species undergoing a population explosion will face hunger issues, especially in areas of limited food resources.

The "solutions" are only bandaids if the population continues to grow.

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/30/2009 1:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The truth is that it's not so much that our government cares about food-related cancers nor anything else related to the health, welfare, or general condition of the mass population of the world per se, but that they only care about anything insofar as it affects their ability to abuse us all for the purposes of their wealthy patrons. If they can wave the spectre of cancer in our faces (be the danger real or fake) and thus distract us from the real trouble they're causing the world in the pursuit of their own financial gain, then that's exactly what they'll do.

The United States was founded on the idea that government should exist for the benefit of the people, which is exactly the opposite of the historical role of government as a profit machine for the wealthy.

Unfortunately, along the way, we have been increasingly sold out by our elected officials, until we're just a heartbeat away from being part of the third world ourselves.

"When in doubt, ride."

CaddmannQ
Random Moto-geek

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 10/30/2009 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
Unfortunately any species undergoing a population explosion will face hunger issues, especially in areas of limited food resources.

The "solutions" are only bandaids if the population continues to grow.
The falacy of thinking like that is that given modern science and the vast physical and financial wealth of this world, there is no excuse for any region having " limited food resources".

We have a food surplus in the US, and there's no reason the rest of the world shouldn't have one as well, except that the people in control of this globe foster chaos in order to pit us against one another, and to distract us from focusing on their own malfeasance.

"When in doubt, ride."

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007

Posted 10/30/2009 2:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And a lot of the food we DO send over is "confiscated" for use by those in power...more than likely to be sold on the black market.

Sad.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 10/30/2009 4:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chris Sorbi said...
I fixed the leak in Vancouver, CA with the help of local guy who read my posts. He offered his garage and we changed the gasket and got back on the road. It was an absolute hell riding like that in traffic as the oil dripped on the hot pipes and a cloud smoke came up to my face. This is what my pants looked like confused good waterproofing though roll

I'm hunkered down here in southern California at the moment, I have a lecture and slideshow in Barstow on the 9th and after that I will go for Arizona. Mexico is getting closer every day. Check out my website for the older posts and get more familiar with the expedition. www.motorcyclememoir.com

Chris
You gotta be kidding! you call that an oil leak? When the cars behind can't clean their windshields, that's an oil leak.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Chris Sorbi
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 11/2/2009 4:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Today is my birthday so i won't sit down and write, i'll leave you with a video of the trip (Picture Video). I'm still looking for a good movie camera but no luck yet.

Enjoy: