Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > rode through louemc's neck of the wood (angels camp, ebbetts pass, etc.)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
26 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 6/9/2011 2:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice views, perfect weather, the air is fresh, what more can you ask for. as lou mentioned recently, the snow banks are still about 15 feet high in some spots. although there's no yellow line, some parts of the pass are well paved. other parts are a combination of pot holes, gravel, sand, bumps, tar snake and water (from the melting snow). if one pushes hard enough, one's bike can get some air under it on those bumps. some of the curves are really nice to glide through it in a steady motion. several blind corners and hair pin turns along the way. Some spots are steep, kind of give a roller coaster feel to it. overall, it was a good ride. one of the few roads where riders can have it to themselves. i probably saw about a handful of autos and each and every one of them hug the center of the road on every turn due to its narrow width and tight turns.

lake alpine:

snow bank:

ebbetts pass elevation:

curves:

End point:

more twisties on the way back:

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/9/2011 6:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sweet pics jon. Road conditions look like they could catch you out if you were pushing the limits. Love the snow bank.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/9/2011 11:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice stuff there Jon yeah  I went over on the 31st, and it was Cold Cold at lake Alpine, that day.

The snow banks , Totally dis-orented me this year....for most of the time, I honestly couldn't of said..Where I was on the pass, because nothing looked familiar.   I could of gone right past Mosquito lake...and not known it...except for the turn on the (Eastern) far side, that reopens up the View so dramatically to the East.

I do recognize the spot where you took the second picture, with the brownish lump (rock) barely poking out of the snow bank.  It looked so bazar in contrast to the snow.

I had planned (yesterday) to go over again today..but..didn't feel perky enough, when I woke up,  to get going.   Gotta do it soon though,  seeing the changes happening, is a rush, in it's self.

This shot of (down at 1,000 - 2,000 ft) hot (95 degrees) weather, will get the melt going up there....fun water flowing over the road, and long-ish shallow ponds in the dips where the water can't get out. 

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 6/9/2011 6:23:57 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/9/2011 11:10 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The most surprising thing is the cattle grate in one picture!

We have them around here in the lowlands but surprised to see them up there.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/9/2011 11:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
The most surprising thing is the cattle grate in one picture!

We have them around here in the lowlands but surprised to see them up there.

We have cattle drives over Ebbetts, because the cattle hauling trucks can't make the corners.  There is some free range for them as well.

The cattle don't winter up there,  they get moved up there when the grass at the low ranching area's is toast in the late summer (from some ranches, There is a biggie at Copperopolis that has been doing it for so long...the state can't or won't put a stop to it).

I'll guarantee....I will not get caught in an on-coming cattle drive again.  I'll turn the bike around, and go back till I encounter a large vehicle headed into it, to run interference...or take another pass, if I have too.

But a solid wall of cattle, that have a scared/crazed look in their eyes...and being driven by yippin/yellin, arm flappin cowboys...isn't good.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/9/2011 12:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...

But a solid wall of cattle, that have a scared/crazed look in their eyes...and being driven by yippin/yellin, arm flappin cowboys...isn't good.

lol lol

Cerebus
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 240

Posted 6/9/2011 6:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those are some of the best mc pics I have seen on this site! It's a wonder how louemc is still alive after seeing that.

Jon,

Is that a Suz. B-king?

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/9/2011 10:55 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks guys!

el SID: yes, it *could* catch you out. like anything else, common sense is key.

Cerebus: yep, it's a b-king.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/10/2011 2:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
Sweet pics jon. Road conditions look like they could catch you out if you were pushing the limits. Love the snow bank.

It's a piece a cake lol ,Ya see what it is, and Ya know what ya gotta do and can do and come up with what Ya do, do.

Always with the "don't let this turn into do do", running in the background lol

I just got back from riding over Ebbetts (Actually not home yet, popped into a Library that is close to home).

Beautiful weather today....and got a "high sign" that a cop was up ahead...dropped down to 53 MPH  (felt like I could hop off the bike and run along side at that speed)  and went past the cop in the bushes at a legal speed.  What a nice day. smilewinkgrin

Post Edited (louemc) : 6/10/2011 9:37:36 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 6/10/2011 5:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now you know around the terrain where Lou rides & yes it is beautiful.  I also know one of the main reasons for most of the lower parts of the fairing be removed for he will hike it off to some part in the bush to make it comfortable for the day or two or three.  Obviously not a in city rider or pavement only.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/15/2011 6:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
thanks guys!

Just got back from todays, Ebbetts pass ride...Love Love Love, the way it is different everytime.

Now the road above Lake Alpine and down the other side...has mega broken pavement spots, with loose gravel scattered out from the broken "pothole".  Some large rocks and gobs of small rocks have fallen from the rock walls along side the road..onto the road....Lots of water running over the road now,as the melt has spiked with this heat wave in the "valley".

Oddly enough, it was kicking my ass on the way over to Markleeville....but after hanging out over there for a couple hours...and a group of riders I hadn't seen for a year or two showed up, and I knocked back some Coffee Ice Cream..the race face went on...and I hammered the return trip lol

Oh, the snow banks have receeded, big time, so line of sight distances are much much better.

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 6/15/2011 6:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So in other words... fun in the sun. sounds like a enticing bit of challenging fun. Never under estimate the power of ice cream. Rock slides,actually had one hit our car one time when I was a kid. want to say it was in Tennessee,anyway freaked me out,that would be a worry,Id get over it.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/15/2011 8:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
jon said...

thanks guys!

Just got back from todays, Ebbetts pass ride...Love Love Love, the way it is different everytime.

Now the road above Lake Alpine and down the other side...has mega broken pavement spots, with loose gravel scattered out from the broken "pothole". Some large rocks and gobs of small rocks have fallen from the rock walls along side the road..onto the road....Lots of water running over the road now,as the melt has spiked with this heat wave in the "valley".

Oddly enough, it was kicking my ass on the way over to Markleeville....but after hanging out over there for a couple hours...and a group of riders I hadn't seen for a year or two showed up, and I knocked back some Coffee Ice Cream..the race face went on...and I hammered the return trip lol

Oh, the snow banks have receeded, big time, so line of sight distances are much much better.

cool, good to know. cool

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/17/2011 10:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jon said...
louemc said...
jon said...

thanks guys!

Now the road above Lake Alpine and down the other side...has mega broken pavement spots, with loose gravel scattered out from the broken "pothole". Some large rocks and gobs of small rocks have fallen from the rock walls along side the road..onto the road....Lots of water running over the road now,as the melt has spiked with this heat wave in the "valley".

cool, good to know. cool
I expect to go over Tioga pass (Thats hwy120 through Yosemite, for non-Californians), Monday...It's promised to Open Saturday Morning @ 8:00...so the weekenders can have it Sat-Sun...I'll do it Mon.   (in my friends SUV)

Post Edited (louemc) : 6/17/2011 5:57:57 PM GMT

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/17/2011 6:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
jon said...

louemc said...

jon said...

thanks guys!

Oddly enough, it was kicking my ass on the way over to Markleeville....but after hanging out over there for a couple hours...and a group of riders I hadn't seen for a year or two showed up, and I knocked back some Coffee Ice Cream..the race face went on...and I hammered the return trip

cool, good to know.
I expect to go over Tioga pass (Thats hwy120 through Yosemite, for non-Californians), Monday...It's promised to Open Saturday Morning @ 8:00...so the weekenders can have it Sat-Sun...I'll do it Mon. (in my friends SUV)

doing the tioga pass trip on "Monday" is a good idea. if i climbed ebbetts pass on the weekend instead of a wednesday, it probably wouldn't be as enjoyable due to more traffic, le, etc.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/17/2011 7:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For sure...the passing is way more difficult with the snow banks shortened sight lines...and water on the road, complications.
So No other vehicle is the Wonderful...That's another great part about Ebbetts...hardly anyone goes over it.

Most everyone that just wants to get to the other side if the Sierra, takes a pass with a center line (that would be all the other passes), or if they are normal camp and fish types they stop at Lake Alpine on the West side ..Or Carson River on the East side.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 6/18/2011 8:30 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Neat shots Jon!

It's been years since we were out there. Wonderful nature and challenging roads.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 6/20/2011 5:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks RD!

southspice
SV Power

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1633

Posted 7/14/2011 3:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Not sure how I missed this Jon?

Super great pics .. Very beautiful. How did the bike do on the trip? I’m surprised at the snow banks, do they ever completely melt lol? I’ve always wanted to visit this area, such a haven for twisty fun riding. I once told Lou I wanted to come out for a visit, get him to take me on a tour.

Gotta say the bike is looking groovy!! I’m loving the color and paint. smilewinkgrin

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/14/2011 8:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The road surface on Ebbetts, is super clean right now. Last Weekend a major bicycle event called Death ride (The A group does 4 passes) was held and Cal-Trans swept the road free of all gravel/dirt that had been accumulating.

I'm going up tomorrow. Last week the only place there was still snow close to the road was right at Mosquito lake.
The whole mountain is waking up to people visiting it. The flat land has been in the low triple digits (heat wise) so those people are very motivated to go up to where it's cool.

southspice
SV Power

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1633

Posted 7/14/2011 8:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You’re a tease Lou :p

Don’t you know we’re having a dangerous heat wave down in the south? Riding up into some fresh cool mountains sounds perfectly tempting. Ahhhh ..  feel the breeze, it feels most exciting haha.

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/14/2011 9:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
southspice said...
<SPAN lang=EN>

<FONT color=blue>Super great pics .. Very beautiful. How did the bike do on the trip? I’m surprised at the snow banks, do they ever completely melt lol? I’ve always wanted to visit this area, such a haven for twisty fun riding. I once told Lou I wanted to come out for a visit, get him to take me on a tour.

thanks ss! the king did great as usual.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/15/2011 11:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
southspice said...

You’re a tease Lou :p

Don’t you know we’re having a dangerous heat wave down in the south? Riding up into some fresh cool mountains sounds perfectly tempting. Ahhhh ..  feel the breeze, it feels most exciting haha.

It would only be a "Tease" if the Sierra wasn't here, when You got here, after I'd said it was here lol

jclax01
The world is ruled by Damned Dirty Apes

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 5244

Posted 7/18/2011 7:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
snow in june......we could only wish. its so freaking hot here that there are a lot of motorcycle "riders" taking the car instead of riding.

Ride Hard or Stay home

1994 Kaw Vulcan 88
2007 Piago (my wifes punk ass 50cc scooter) 
1986 kaw Vulcan 750(rebooted and reloaded)

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 7/18/2011 11:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jclax01 said...
snow in june......

one of the rare times where some ski resorts in the sierra were open during july 4th weekend thanks to the late rain season.

jclax, besides high temps, must also be very humid where you're at too, no???