Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > A 6 pass ride (in two attempts!) Colorado, 2011  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4681

Posted 7/29/2011 8:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Took a couple of recent trips through the mountains of my home state of Colorado recently and wanted to share pics. 

First trip was on June 26th.  My plan was to take I-70 West to Glenwood Springs, then head Southeast on CO 82 through Snowmass and Aspen, over Independence Pass (2nd highest continuous paved road in North America) then down to Buena Vista and then back home. 

The trip started out great.  I hopped off the interstate to go over Loveland Pass (11,990'.)  Here you can see I-70 disappearing into the Eisenhower Tunnel.  Note that the entrance to the tunnel is at 11,000' above sea level: 

As you can see, there's still a lot of snow at this altitude:

On the way down, I passed Arapahoe Basin (we just call it A-Basin) ski area.  Yes, it was open. 

On June 26th.  shocked  In fact, it finally closed this year - on the 4th of July!

Continued through Keystone and Dillon and jumped back onto I-70 to go over Vail pass and through the Eagle valley.  Cruised into Glenwood Canyon, and everything was great - until I got close to the end of the canyon and ran into this...

Traffic backed up as far as the eye could see.  mad   The only saving grace:  Normally this part of the interstate would be one-way only (you can see the Eastbound lanes to the left, about 20' below the Westbound lanes.)  However, because of construction, there was 2 way traffic on this stretch. 

Another shot of the traffic jam:

I later found out that a truck had rolled over near the West end of the canyon - at exactly the worst possible place.  I waited about 45 minutes here - Drank some water, armor-alled my face shield and windshield, shot the breeze with a young mother and her two kids.  But eventually my patience ran out (plus it was hot and I was getting hungry - I'd planned on lunch in Carbondale, 10 miles past Glenwood Springs.)  So I turned around and rode back.  The jam stretched on for another 4 miles... (to be continued)

Martin

Englewood, CO (Denver suburb)

UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) Fanatic

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

Post Edited (martinjmpr) : 7/29/2011 3:57:53 PM GMT

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/29/2011 8:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Part 2...

...So I rode back through the Canyon, and another 20 miles or so back to Gypsum. Along the way I noticed the alarmingly-high Colorado River nearly swamping the railroad tracks that run through Glenwood Canyon:

Look how close it is in this photo:

You can see the way they "terraced" the interstate through the Canyon here:

I found a restaurant and had lunch while I looked at the map to pick another route.  I finally decided to take US 24 Southeast over Tennessee Pass and into Leadville. 

I took a detour through Eagle and came across this for sale: 

At passing glance, just another mid 70's UJM, but look more closely:

That's a Suzuki RE-5, the only rotary-engined motorcycle ever sold by a major manufacturer (AFAIK.)  Not sure if it's worth $3500 (just imagine trying to get parts for it) but a great piece of motorcycle history! 

It was hot in the Eagle Valley but once I started climbing towards the pass, it cooled off.  Along the way I passed by the eerie remains of a "modern ghost town," Called Gilman:

Most Ghost Towns in the Colorado Rockies have been abandoned for over a century, and they show it.  Gilman, however, was active as recently as 1984, when it was finally abandoned, according to Wikipedia. 

There's a horror movie just begging to be made here! 

Note the very modern looking buildings and infrastructure (and those damn wires that keep spoiling my photos!)  rolleyes

Passed through the remains of Camp Hale and over Tennessee Pass, down to Leadville and then Buena Vista and back home via US 285 and Kenosha Pass.  A great ride, but not the ride I really wanted to do.  Not to worry, after all, the Summer's just starting (to be continued...) 

Martin

Previous Bikes:  '69 Honda CL450; '74 Honda CB750; '83 Honda 550 Nighthawk; '92 Yamaha Virago 1100; '83 Yamaha Maxim 750; '84 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD; '01 Triumph Thunderbird 900; '82 Kawasaki Spectre 750

martinjmpr
08 Triumph Scrambler

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 7/29/2011 9:23 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Four weeks later (July 24th), I decided to take another long ride.  I still wanted to do Independence Pass, but after my experience last time, I figured I'd better get to it quickly.  So, I headed straight West on I-70, opting for the tunnel this time instead of the pass.  About 25 miles past the tunnel, I jumped off of the interstate at Copper Mountain and headed up CO 91 towards Fremont Pass and Leadville.  '

At the top of Fremont Pass is a huge mine called the Climax mine.  The Climax Mine is one of the biggest molybdenum mines in the world.  It's an open pit mine that has been in operation since about 1914.  Unfortunately, when it first opened, there wasn't much concern for the environment and leftover tailings were dumped everywhere.  By the 1980's this was causing a real health concern and so, starting in the 1990s, clean up efforts began.  Last time I went over Fremont Pass in 2007, this area looked like a toxic moonscape of browns and reds, with tainted water collected in big evaporation ponds.  Four years later, it looks a lot better:

Still not perfect but a distinct improvement!

If you look hard, you can see one of Colorado's more well known "fourteeners", Mount of the Holy Cross:

I continued down through Leadville which was buzzing with Summertime traffic and headed down to CO 82 to start the climb up to Independence Pass.

I stopped to stretch my legs and get a caffeine dose in the gorgeous little town of Twin Lakes...

Then it was "up and over!"  Independence Pass is always spectacular:

The downhill side is even more breathtaking:

Had a great ride down the amazingly narrow road and narrowly missed getting stuck in traffic again when an idiot pulling a trailer (trailers are not recommended on Independence pass) got a flat tire at one of the narrowest parts of the road!  Fortunately, it was just a little bit in front of me so I was able to pass, but I think traffic behind me got very jammed up waiting for this person to either change their tire or get off the road! 

Passed through Aspen and Snowmass and then stopped at one of my favorite little diners in Carbondale:

It was hot in Carbondale (which at 6,000' was more than a mile below the peak of Independence Pass) but the food was good.  They had some awesome wildflowers out front, too. 

From there it was back to Glenwood Springs, then Glenwood Canyon, then I-70 over Vail Pass, and back home through Breckenridge, Hoosier Pass (11,532'), then Fairplay, Woodland Park and home to Englewood. 

Final tally of both trips:  851 miles (401 on 06/26 and 450 on 07/24)

Passes over 10,000':  Loveland, 11,990' (6/26); Vail, 10,650' (6/26 and 7/24); Tennessee, 10,275' (6/26), Fremont, 11,318' (7/24); Independence, 12,095' (7/24); Hoosier, 11,532' (7/24.)   (I could count Kenosha Pass at 10,000' but I usually don't as it's a very mild pass.)

Great rides in a great state!  Anyone passing through the middle of the country in the summer would be missing out if they didn't pass through Colorado at least once!   

Martin

Post Edited (martinjmpr) : 7/29/2011 4:27:40 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 7/29/2011 12:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THAT was a nice trip with great shots. You should enter some of them in the photo competition here.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

jon
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 7/29/2011 6:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice pix and trip martin. a couple of the ski resorts in the california sierra were open during july 4th too due to the late rain season.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 7/30/2011 6:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great report martin. Loved the ghost town and Independence Pass. I hope to someday ride out there, thanks for the photos.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/30/2011 5:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some nice shots & one can see some lovely runs for skiers (that itch is in me from so many yrs ago of using skies with skins to make it to the slugging it by foot.

So that tie-up reminds me of the mountain blasting when headed west to Princeton & beside Yellow Lake.  At least this as not an 18 wheeler rolling over.  At least sometime in Autumn I might be able to scoot from my town to Princeton on hwy 3, its pass, & back home some hrs later on.

Finally going to fork out a mint for a pair of Joe Rocket pants with zipped in waterproof liner.  Will definately remove the waterproof liner for I have an older pair that are ideal for ran, cold weather or such though liner is sewen in.

What I did do, by mistake was ordere a set like what I still have in my short leg length, but realized the chap that always comes to my PC help has long legs & same waist.  So what cost me around $350.00 a few yrs ago is going to someone that can use & enjoy it.  For I was amazed he arrived on his Yamaha dual purpose 350 with a heavy Joe Rocket with the liner still on------way to hot for my even older Joe Rocket lemon called Tahoe was with a usless liner that did not allow one to make a shoulder check in the dead space zones.  I do have a jacket like his (not this lemon of a "Tahoe" & the zip on liner is all I need in colder weather.

That JPN bike for sale was in the hands of a learner for it has been down on both sides.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/12/2011 2:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah yes, the Red Rock. Fun place. :)

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

Current Ride: 1992 BMW K75RT "Sif"
Past Rides:
1985 Yamaha FZ750 "Diablesse"
1987 Yamaha FZ700 "Pandora"
1979 Yamaha XS750 "Cerberus"

MrArn
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 5

Posted 10/13/2011 8:00 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My wife and I rode Independence Pass in July, it was spectacular. The snow was melting and there were water falls all along the road.

Thanks for sharing.

My ride reports - " target="_blank">bikersroadreport.com/

Post Edited (MrArn) : 10/13/2011 7:49:58 PM GMT

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 10/13/2011 9:06 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Those pics of Gilman are pretty cool. Really dig those ghost town pics.

For all your motorcycle news and motorcycle reviews - Motorcycle-usa.com

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/13/2011 12:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most Excellent Martin, Americans should be reminded of what we have. And, hopefully inspired to get out there, and feel it.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/18/2011 9:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honestly that line up would have driven me crazy & I to would have turn around & gone back some.

Also the only cage cloes to you was that one just ahead a bit with a proper SAFE ZONE gap of around 6 seconds. you have to go to one photo where a woman is walking down with a straw hat on so you can see the same by that pick-up truck being the Save Zone, which I believe in & the faster we get rolling then the more of a seconds to the cage in front of me.

Still, as I have said before, these are some good photos most of us liked & I am not the only one saying so.

The ghost town, we have a few of them here in B.C., for they were used for mining, to even a few mines re-started for a while.

Mind you NOTHING like the maze of homes in your photo.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 10/18/2011 4:57:20 PM GMT