Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > Rides with Cows  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

linabu
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 132

Posted 8/2/2011 7:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Our encounter with a herd of cattle in the middle of the road.
http://rumbum.com/2161-rides-with-cows

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 8/2/2011 4:39:11 PM GMT

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 8/2/2011 8:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Neat shot!

All you have to do, patience and wait. Last time we encountered that was in New Zealand but that was some scared sheep. I am pretty sure that the farmers are very happy when you just stop, turn off the engine and take a break to the animal's sounds and noises, smells and stinks. A part of life.

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 8/2/2011 6:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You mean Im not supposed to go by cattle doin a 12 o clock can can wheelie with my horn a blowin? D@mn,was wonderin why Cleatus was a shootin at me.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/2/2011 6:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You do that, El, and call me so I'll be there with you - with a camera!

RedDog

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/7/2011 1:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Same with a herd of horses, like so often I ran into in Banff as some going to winter camp, but some comming back from winter camp.

This you do want to do is finding a cow or horse pumping into you.

I remember a gal on a cruiser with some friends, they ran into some cattle & accidently she sort of T-boned one, so changee her handle to 'T-bone'.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 10/26/2011 12:18:42 AM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/7/2011 1:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

If you see some of Lou's mountain terrain some photos showed cattle guarde parts & I guess they had never seen them befoe & Lou stated it is best not to hustle it out with cattle.

Many cattle guards in the back roads of this area for a lot of farmers on both sides of the road we might be riding to also cattle to horses & such.

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/7/2011 2:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sheep on the road on New Zealand, Southern Island - the cold one.

RedDog

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
IMG_8172.JPG
  913KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 259 time(s).

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 8/14/2011 6:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We have Big Horn sheep a bit south of us, so one has to watch out for the Government are paying people to watch over them.  Now mountain goats can also be on the roads, but they are more strange.

The mountain goats are just a bit north of my town while big horn sheep are some miles to the south & a bit east of my town.

Mind you sheep are not such a big thing as in NewZealand or India. 

Post Edited (Smitty) : 11/7/2011 2:30:19 AM GMT

WhiteKnite
Exploring Korea

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 550

Posted 8/18/2011 7:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Rides with Cows"... sounds like a Native American name. smilewinkgrin

I like the cow-pie burnout, lol I'll have to practice those devil

Cows need to get off the road and stay where they belong: in my belly. It was winter time and I was just out of High School, when I took my AWD Eagle Talon TSI out on some snowy back roads for a good beating. I guess I was still fantasizing about being a rally driver, as it was snowy and I was intentionally sliding all over. I crested a hill and wuddayano there's a herd of dairy cows standing in the road staring straight at me. I slam on the brakes too hard sending the car into a sideways slide. At the last moment, they decided they didn't want to be bowling pins after all, and started running down the road still directly in front of me. I managed to correct the slide and miss the cows literally by mere inches. The poor girl in my passenger seat could have probably reached out and grabbed that cow's tail at any point during that slide. Young testosterone, fast vehicles, and cute blondes don't mix... throw in a herd of cattle and you have a recipe for disaster. We were lucky to make it through in one piece. I'm so glad I waited until I was a bit more mature to get into motorcycles.

2010 Hyosung GV650
2011 BMW F800ST

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 10/20/2011 1:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Very interesting , and a nice shot as well!

A gentleman I know on another forum went on a long haul trip and ended up in a pretty strange situation with a herd of Buffalo - I do not recall if they were wild or not, but I want to say they were - out in the middle of nowhere, Wyoming. Apparently these are animals that you do not want to mess with as they can get very aggressive and will charge! freaked  He was sitting there waiting for them to pass along with some other riders who were also stopped and got bored so he pulled out a camera and started filming. And then this big bull started to approach, and he didn't look very happy! You could hear the tension in his voice rise as the creature got closer and started to posture aggressively but he just sat still and stopped filming. I guess the camera was the source of irritation for this bull. Once the filming stopped, the bull then just held his ground for a bit and eventually toddled off. I would NOT want to tangle with a Buffalo! I guess the road can offer up some wild surprises!

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 10/21/2011 12:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smitty said...

If you see some of Lou's mountain terrain some photos showed cattle guarde parts & I guess they had never seen them befoe & Lou stated it is best not to hustle it out with cattle.

Many cattle guards in the back roads of this area for a lot of farmers on both sides of the road we might be riding to also cattle to horses & such.

I used to have a picture of a cattle drive coming at me, on the Road Inhalin Blast Blog thread, in the Sport Bike section...Every cow, tight against the other cow, and the rear cows climbing up on the front cows...cause the cowboys are at the back of the herd, Yellin and Yippin like rabid dogs.
The Cows are densest on the road, but not confined to the road, they flow out into the trees and boulders on both sides, and cowboys are out there, chasing them back into the herd...It's wild.  No place for a bike rider to be.  And this bike rider will never be there again.
Turn around and go the other way.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 10/25/2011 3:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Rides with cows"

Is that the Wisconsin equivalent of "Dances with Wolves"?

Around here its more like "Dodgeball with Deer"!

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

AtvMinibike
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 35

Posted 11/3/2011 4:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wait 'til you drive in India. Cattles even in the city LOL! your patience can be tested!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/6/2011 7:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I was new to Banff Naional Park in Alberta, so on some spare times I wandered off, illegally on a Warden's road. So  there were male & female Big Horn Sheep.  I killed the two-stroke Observed Trails engine & coasted a bit closer to them.

No massive charges by the males as seen on TV, but some were giving one or a sort of dunge to the hors/head sort of like a slap on the back.

After a while I had take some B&W photos of them & some had come up to nibble on my grips.  For I road most of my time in the bush, gullies or such in bare hands, so there was SALT on the grips.  That told me to get ahold of an empty medication container & put salt in it.  To allow me to be closer to wild animals.

Sudenly one gave me a bit of a nudge to my hip & my gosh I though it had broken my hip.  So I limped to my bike, got it kicked into action & left those big horn sheep.

RaptorFA
'11 Suzuki GSX1250FA

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 493

Posted 11/8/2011 2:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's pretty close for comfort, Smitty! You can never be sure just what is on their minds. You did well to get out of there! It must have been fun though to be that close...

Regards -

RaptorFA
Play Hard, Ride Safe