Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > 19 years! no clue on the miles,just guesses.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 9/23/2011 4:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
19 years ago today I skipped school,went to andersons honda and started my road bike carrer on a 1989 fzr600 yamaha. Remember it like it happened yesterday. Here is some of what I have learned.
1 asphalt hutrs. see I cant even spell it right.
2 its a road,not a race track.
3 tires arent cheap
4 Chics dig motos
5 the more motos the better,the more broke you are as well...
6 cage drivers are going to try to kill you any chance they get.
7 scooters are great tools for learning how to ride in traffic.
8 2 strokes are more fun,and klotz is the best cologne,I mean oil, you can get.
9 safety starts between the ears.
10 good gear is worth the extra quid.
11 dirtbikes are the greatest thing next to women.
12 dirtbikes require as much maintenance as women.
13 chrome wont get you home,but it might get you laid. thank you h1.
14 Honda builds almost undestructable roadbikes.
15 fzr plastics are the most frail,brittle, piles of poop ever concieved for a motorcycle.
16 good tools=easy maintenance
17 Mentoring is harder than learning. Teach them well.
18 PRACTICE YOUR TECHNIQUES.
19 RIDE,just ride. therapy, bah hum bug,ride. booze and drugs,pah! doesnt get me high enough,ride. No matter what happens in a day,I can always go ride.

Its the first day of fall. Remember temps are a falling,tires need temp to work. Deer are horny and do the craaziest things right now. Keep a level head. Oh and most important,RIDE! Cheers.

Oh forgot always check your mirrors.... loads of knowledge that would take pages to impart.

I always ride on today,and today its coldish and rainy. Im growing weary with riding in the rain. Oh well,better than driving.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Post Edited (el SID) : 9/23/2011 12:19:40 PM GMT

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 9/23/2011 8:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I always ride on today,and today its coldish and rainy. Im growing weary with riding in the rain. Oh well,better than driving.

No it's not, and I've ridden far enough in the rain to be a leading authority. Give me my little Ford in the rain anytime.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/24/2011 2:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I dont know richard,Its not really all that bad. Plus it worked out as it stopped raining by the time I got out of work. So riding paid off. Little victories,my silver lining isnt really silver,it just a lining. I got to go out and take the kids for a ride on my b day,thats about all I could ask for. Made my day.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 9/24/2011 2:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I guess it's not so bad when you have the choice. For quite a few years a bike was our only means of transport and riding in the rain just came with the territory. When I was young, rain and cold didn't bother me at all (just as well, really), now I don't care to do it. Speaking of cold, my Tiger 90 was left outside all the time, so the seat got wet inside and would sometimes freeze solid. I would ride it like that, just wearing jeans. How did I manage that? It's a wonder I don't have a bad case of the 'Farmer Giles'.

Ever ride your H1 in the rain? How many cylinders are working when you get home?lol

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Post Edited (Richard47) : 9/24/2011 10:01:02 AM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 9/25/2011 4:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have always wondered about the weather capabilities of the H1 Richard. Never had the cojones' to ride it in the rain. Its the right temp range today for the old girl,so Im going for a ride. 59 degrees,blue smoke,and laughter.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 9/30/2011 3:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You actually... RIDE... an H1?

I thought those things were for holding on tightly and praying.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 10/1/2011 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
actually holding on tightly with the head shaking h1 isnt that great of an idea.... lol As a matter of fact I dont think anything can stay tight on that thing... Its a fun bike,soccer moms running, grasping their children, wisking them away from the corner of the road, as the crazed Klotz Kawi gets another 3500rpm clutch sizzling departure,is fun..... People stop and stare,whether its in horror or awe I do not know....

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Deacon Blues
The Imaginary Director

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 2946

Posted 10/1/2011 12:14 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm hoping you got a second disc up front, plus a fork brace and a reed valve on the fuel intake. Those Kwackers are known for having rather abrupt powerbands as well as 'issues' with steering and stopping. :)

A buddy of mine told me the first time he took a ride on an H1. He's sitting at a light, pooting two-cycle smoke out the back, and some guy in a Camaro rolls up and revs the engine. So Kurt decides, what the hell, he's gonna show this fool what he's up against. Light turns green, he romps on the throttle, and to his surprise, the Camaro's gaining ground rolling into the intersection. So he kicks the bike into second, Camaro's still pulling ahead... drops it into third... and that's when the rear wheel hooked up, front wheel goes skyward, and Kurt's doing a pull-up on the bars while shooting past the muscle car like a scalded cat. He NEVER got hamhanded with that H1 again, ever.

"Lane splitting will never be accepted in those areas where driving is considered a martial art."

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 10/1/2011 12:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nope, drums its what keeps me in line. It can be a handful when you are an idiot with the right hand for sure. With the drums you really plan/pray ahead. I dont really ride it all that often,just every now and then. Usually on sundays in the country side. Frame is about as rigid as a door hinge. Best mod I have done was dump the oil injection and went premix. Oh and good tires,big improvement in feel,just showcases the lack of frame design. Drag bars for added cool factor.   

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/18/2011 10:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Not a Thread SID that I can say is wrong to any great extent.  Let us go back to '46 when I lst started to ride my '39 Indian Sport Scout 45SV to late on added on a HD for British bikes were rare to say the least & JPN was only make two-stoke power plant to fit on a bicycle & definately not m/cs like we see now.

To get to work & home again in the rain.  I came across a used massive piece of leather that strpped onto the crash bars at the front, to also the front steering head & so past to the saddle MEANING it stayed dry.  My clothing was whatever I might wear at this Mens Clothing store I worked in sometimes (then to a m/c shop for some hrs of work there), to also a heavy fine cotten rain coat, baret, (no one wore a crash helmet bar a few of us in basically dirty racing to the rare road racing).

That meant a dry saddle I could get on, but lst was prodding the Indian or HD into life, & my rain coat, to baret seemed to be all I needed.

OBVIOUSLY not the mass of cages in those days just after WWII.

True I had picked up a well used '36 Chev panel truck as my four wheels, but would prefer the Indian or HD was my fun bike to ride to the different work jobs & home again.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 10/26/2011 12:22:34 AM GMT

el SID

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 10/18/2011 10:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Smitty. I have often wondered what times were like before safety. I really enjoy reading your posts,gives one insight on a forgotten time. Growing up my dad had a 32 Ford convertible that he and I restored to its former glory. I really enjoy pre war anything. Those old Chevy panels are very cool. Not nearly as cool as an  Indian of the same vintage,but cool. So did you just wear aviator goggles for the rain back then? Man, I cant imagine trying to ride a moto,without eye and head protection like we have now. I can almost feel the tingle in my head,from rain drops hitting it without a helmet or some sort of protection. Thanks as always for a great post.

current hacks
1996 honda vfr
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/6/2011 7:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I honestly feel that a sport bike is not suitable for the gravel roads.  That is where a cruiser will do well as long as you have an EASY grip on the bars & accept that the front wheel or steering tends to wobble from side to side.

Back in the late 40s we all learned the pros & cons of riding a m/c in the dirt, gravel, cinder or rare muddy roads. For the city, at that time, had very few paved roads.

We might be with a few other on the hwy to come to a small town with a dirt road, only full of ruts or muddy sections & all look at the sign saying Maximum Speed 25mph & we figured anyone making it through at 25 mph was going to be lucky.

Still on a sport bike & have a STEERING HEAD DAMPER by Scotts which pays off in riding a sportbike.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/17/2011 4:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Sid I owe you a bit more for I wore a pair of WWII fighter goggles & even a spare lens.  Think I still have in in one drawer.  I remember a long trip back to one place & it was snowing.  Some poor young gal with tight slacks & tight light pink sweater or blouse aske me for a ride, but you know I do not carry Pillion riders.  So along the way I was going fine with my barbour to sod gtpggles plus working gloves.  The left forehand main finger was the wiper of the snow.

Then I suggested we swimg into this road that lead to a small town for a cup of tea.  All agreed.  I noted this poor gal had her teeth chattering due the cold.  So found out what a bus route one way was & all of us chipped in for the ticket.

Steel's wife was riding pillion on her husband's 350cc single with her husband's gustapo cap on backwards while her larger one was on her husband's head backward.  You must realize all tended to have a sort of Gustapo hat along with that darn leather or cloth jacket with all the zippers to buckles & such was the FAD.  I was bone dry for I was wearing a used Barbour & Sons waxed Cotton jacket 7 pants a chap from England sent me for being a factory rider he received one every year.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 12/17/2011 11:49:05 PM GMT