Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > Marblehead to Nahant  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

wisart
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 9/28/2011 8:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The weather has been fickle here as of late so I scuttled my longer overnight trip to Maine for a short hop around the interesting coastal area from Marblehead down south through Revere.  As far as riding roads go the area really isn't all that inspiring.  Crowded with cars, industrial zones, run down neighborhoods and a generally slow pace sounds like a lousy day on two wheels.  And while all those detractors may be true in part you are still gifted with some lovely views of the Atlantic, fascinating beach areas and a few exclusive neighborhoods along the coast.  Here are a few of the highlights from a very short ride.

My first stop was a small park at the tip of Marblehead.  Beautiful rocky shoreline.

An old lighthouse.  The original went into service in 1835.  Replaced in 1895 with the skeletal tower you see here and is unique in all of New England.

The rocky shoreline.

Boston area harbors are just like Boston area roads... crowded.

A public beach near Marblehead.  I wish you could hear the sound of the ocean waves, it was very relaxing and I spent some time just staring out into the horizon.

Went out onto a little spit of land named Nahant.  Very posh and all the beautiful beach and shoreline views had no parking signs along the street and parking lots unless you are a resident.

Another section of shoreline in the tony Nahant district.

Traveling further south through the towns of Lynn, Swampscott and Revere I rumbled through my final destination of Winthrop.  It is the third Peninsula and second isthmus formation I've crossed that day.  At the end of road you reach a public park and sitting right next to the park in what appears to be an empty field is a beautifully restored carousel.  It's an odd find because the neighborhood is a bit run down in parts and there it sits like a bright, flawless jewel.

Beautiful detail.

Across the harbor you get a spectacular view of Boston.  Just to the right off image is Logan International Airport.  You can sit in the park and watch jets take off and land.

As I said while this was not the most engaging ride I've been on it was interesting to see more of the coastal community.  It would be a perfect route for a small 125-150cc scooter, lots of stop and go, speed never over 45 mph and lots of interesting side roads to discover.

GAJ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 9/28/2011 10:36 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice pictures as always Wisart.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346