Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Ride Reports > Riding Iceland: Icebergs and Volcanoes, Oh My!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

lightcycle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/8/2011 7:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A couple of months ago, my wife and I rented a BMW F650GS and a Triumph Tiger 800 and spent two weeks riding around Iceland. Here are a couple of entries from our photojournal. More pictures and writeups at: www.ridedot.com/iceland

==========================================

Tue Aug 23 2011: Ice? In Iceland?!?

Hofn (A) to Glacier Lagoon (B) to Vik (C)

We only covered about 600 kms the last couple of days, from Seydisfjordur, through Hofn then onto Vik. Most of it in the rain. Note the Vatnajokull glacier that our route passes by. We spent most of today riding up to a few of the tendrils that reach the road and the water.

This is the first time I've ever tried Gore-Tex riding pants - definitely not as good as a dedicated rainsuit. When you sit on wet Gore-Tex, the pressure squeezes all the water through the fabric onto your skin. 10 hours of soaking butt in 5C rain. :(

In the background you can see one of the tendrils running off Vatnajokull, the largest glacier in Iceland. If Vatnajokull is the size of a hand, the visible part from the ground is only about the size of a fingernail.

Glacier Lagoon

We stopped to view quite a spectacular sight at Jökulsárlón aka "Glacier Lagoon". This part of the Vatnajokull glacier gets pushed out into a lagoon where pieces of ice regularly break off and create icebergs. These pieces are huge, only 10% is visible, the rest is underwater. They slowly melt and drift out of the harbour. We saw a piece break off while watching in awe.

You can see some dark banding on some of the icebergs. Normally they are pure white, but the big eruption last year threw ash all over the glacier, giving the icebergs here a marbled effect. Beautiful!

Close-up of an iceberg at Glacier Lagoon

The largest icebergs must have been well over 60 feet high, and that's only the part that's above water!

Looking over Glacier Lagoon. Two James Bond movies have been filmed here, as well as Tomb Raider and Batman Begins.

Just like at Timmies: Posin' with an Ice Cap. :)

We spent such a long time here, just staring in wonder at these mini-icebergs!

On our way up to yet another one of the glaciers that runs off Vatnajokull. There are tons of them all along the south shore of Iceland. You can see another one off to the left.

Neda is probably looking for more flowers to take pictures of

Mini Glacier Lagoon

After hiking around we find a secluded mini glacier lagoon all to ourselves. Great view of Vatnajokull up ahead. The leading edge of the glacier (terminus) has a very "Fortress of Solitude" look to it.

Close-up of the glacier. Just to give you an idea of how gigantic it is, those dots in the middle of the picture are ice climbers

A taste of Iceland...

Riding away from our own private glacier lagoon

Mossy terrain on the ride to Vik

==========================================

This blog and more are continued at www.ridedot.com/iceland

Gene - http://www.ridedot.com

jon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5959

Posted 12/8/2011 11:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nice photos!!!

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/8/2011 7:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Awesome pictures, bet you guys had a blast. Did you have any mjodr?

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 12/9/2011 12:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mjodr with Glacier ice....:-)

Focus the forces, Be The Force

RedDog
Retired SportBike Bum

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 13635

Posted 12/10/2011 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It has long traditions from the Viking age and now it is brewed over here too:

http://www.vikingbrewing.com/index.html

RedDog
Think Ahead! Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind You!
Normal People Scare me! Travel Light and Leave Your Fears Behind You!

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/17/2011 4:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Nce photoa RD, for when I lived in Edmonton Alberta I rode so much tio Jasper & when working as an assistant Express Car man then so often with a pass I would hike it to Jasper & back again after some days of climbing a number of mountains, that also meant crossing a glascier or two.

Tack on living in Banff National Park in Alberta part owner of  sport shop & I specialized in mountaineering products plus a lot of climbing when I had some free time.  Some times alone, but others with a few others to also sort of called up in the evening to find a missing climber or seemingly not on the mountain with Wardens along with a few fellow climbers.  This was prior that the Wardens upgraded their training to ALSO the RCMP as a constable had to be at the death of anyone or missing of someone according to the law.  Thank goodness none of those late night phone calls to gather my gear & be ready to start hiking or climbing.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/17/2011 4:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Lightcycle you are NOT to glue your butt to a saddle that is WET even with Gore-Tex.  I have a Joe Rocket pair of pants with a linge & water or rain does not come through the material for the liner inside is RUBBER. 

Let us be honest & admit the above Joe Rocket trousers had you melting in them if it was HOT.  Even Joe Rocket people realized there was a flaw so came out with another protective pair of trousers, of where the rubber inside liner can be removed.  In the not weather I use the pants less the liner & YES lots of room for cool air to come in during the HOT weather.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.