Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MotoGirls > Riding alone  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

BikerBard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 7

Posted 5/4/2006 4:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How safe do y'all feel riding alone? I don't have many friends who ride, so I often find myself riding alone.

I live in Houston and with our crime rate going crazy lately, I'm just hoping in never gets to the point where we as women have to worry about going out for a ride by ourselves. What do y'all think?

DG

1988 Ducati Paso 750 - Blue
1979 Shovelhead
1962 Triumph T100-C

ARGSXRLady
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4

Posted 5/4/2006 8:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride alone about 70% of the time and would say I feel safe. A few years ago I road from Little Rock, AR to Appleton, WI on my GSXR600 by myself. I had a lot of fun ride the highways (no freeways) and seeing the countryside.

Sorry to hear about the increasing crime rate, I hope it doesn't keep you from riding if you have to ride alone.

MotorPuss
Yamaha Vstar Classic 650

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 97

Posted 5/5/2006 5:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride alone too... it never occurred to me to fear for my safety.  I don't really ride much at night, though.  I haven't had an issue yet - just a couple of stares.  Probably trying to figure out my gender through a full-face helmet.

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 688

Posted 5/5/2006 6:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I enjoy riding alone. No issues yet, but I got a permit to carry and packed for a while just in case. Don't now though - figured with my luck lately, I'd crash and accidently shoot myself :p

The rotation of the earth eventually cures most things.

Mundane
'00 GS500e

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 87

Posted 5/5/2006 10:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I always go out alone and haven't had a problem.  I usually ride in heavily-travelled areas.  With the helmet on, I doubt anyone knows I'm female.  Not sure they'd care if they knew otherwise.  I'd probably get a few more stares, but that's it...

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 5/5/2006 12:18 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I regularly ride alone (my schedule lets me go off and ride while most folks are working), And I've got short hair, plus I'm fairly tall, so it isn't imediately apparent that I'm not a guy. No tassels or pink stuff on the bike as giveaway.

I think its important to make sure someone knows where you're headed, just in case.

P

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery. 

BikerBard
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006

Posted 5/5/2006 2:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The thing that really got me thinking about this was when my bike broke down the other day and I had to push her for a VERY long way. I got ALOT of offers for help, and actually I didn't think much about how dangerous the situation could have been till after I got home. I guess I really need to find somebody with a trailer that would be willing to come get me so I don't have to ride home with a stranger. :)

DG

1979 Shovelhead
1962 Triumph T100-C

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 5/8/2006 4:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BikerBard has it right on. I try to always carry my cell when I go out on the bike, and I have the materials (if not more than a theoretical knowledge) to fix a flat tire. I have a tow service with my insurance (many include it) as well as AAA RV (AAA with motorcycle coverage).

HOWEVER! When I was stranded in a questionable Tacoma neighborhood after my helmet was stolen, AAA RV left me high and dry because my bike was operational, even if the operator wasn't legal without a helmet. Nearly dropped them altogether, until the dealer showed me which fuse to remove to disable the ignition. Insurance towing benefit came through, but it was scary.

One of the reasons why I took my basic maintenance class was to learn some very basic troubleshooting techniques, such as bump-starting the bike and draining my carb float bowls. IMO the only additional risk women riders MIGHT have riding alone is possibly less tinkering experience.

[Edited to remove unnecessary political remark]

Newbodometer: 2717 miles

Post Edited (jsanford) : 5/9/2006 12:26:22 AM GMT

BikerBard
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2006

Posted 5/8/2006 6:26 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsanford said...
(IMO the only additional risk women riders MIGHT have riding alone is possibly less tinkering experience.)
### This is probably true. In my case, no tinkering in the world was going to work. My regulator wire came loose and my battery wasn't charging. The electrical system on my Duc is quite strange and she absolutely will not run on anything less than a full charge. I got a jump three times and could only go a few yards until she died again. The guys who helped me were thinking I was a fool because I couldn't "just get out on the road and let the battery charge back up."

The crappy thing is...the next day at work I remembered I had a card in my wallet for a bike tow service. Sheesh rolleyes

1979 Shovelhead
1962 Triumph T100-C

Just-Beeming
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 9

Posted 5/11/2006 7:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought about this thread last evening while I was riding. Yes I feel safe when I ride alone, BUT there is such comfort with riding with another. Knowing that someone has your back if you were to have a breakdown, a drop, plus shre the adventure with you.

I had a lovely ride last night. I rode to a very rural area where I lived for three years when my children were small. I took my time looking at all the farms, the changes to the area, even looked at my old house. It was nice to be alone as I could take my time and explore the roads and sights that I was interested in....I felt safeyet it was on my mind that I was alone.

I don't fear being a woman. I doubt anyone really notices I am a gal unless I have a ribbon on my very short pony tail....I have just one sticker on my top case that suggest woman-ness....but unreadable when moving...
It says...A Womans Place is On The Road.

Life is full of bull...grab it by the horns.

Karizma
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 23

Posted 8/6/2006 4:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I am a very new rider and feel real nervous about riding alone.

It's not the fact of being alone and someone taking control over me.  I really don't have that problem at weighing in around 180lbs. anyway.  I probably get made fun of more than anything.

But riding alone and something happening as in an accident.  I mean, what can your partner do for you when you bite it.  But be there to get help and assist.  I hope someone will be nice enough to do that for you anyway.  My husband says all he could do is hope that I make it through crash.

Riding alone as in a person taking control of you.  You should just make sure someone knows what you are doing, place a time limit, and check in from time to time.  Keep phone on you and dont put yourself in a situation that you cant get out of.  If something looks wrong then get to where there are people and be noticed.

Its like I tell my girls.  If someone tries to take you scream, kick, bite, yell - stranger, and fight like hell.

lionlady

Date Joined Sep 2003

Posted 8/7/2006 9:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
At the AMA Women's conference I took my daughter to, we learned a VERY simple technique that will DISABLE an attacker.

In high school, we may have all learned the eye gouge < ICK!! > and face scratch (which is likely to just make a drugged out attacker mad more than anything).

Trust your instincts (I call it my 'spider sense') if someone 'feels' creepy or not right to you, then stay away, and warn them out of your personal space. You may get called the 'b' word, but staying safe and coming home to your family is worth offending others sometimes.

What will always work is to go for the windpipe. It will crush as easily as a paper towel tube (or empty water bottle) - this has been confirmed by doctors. It will render ANYONE useless because you have blocked their air. Use the side of your hand like a karate chop or make an "L" shape with either hand and use that. You can grab and crush with your thumb. A simple move that is easy to remember and will always work.

Because this can be lethal, you must first TRY to get away, if someone then 'gets in your space' after being warned, THEN you are defending yourself and any amount of force is within your right. (No chasing down an attacker.)

Check out this site: http://www.surviveinstitute.com/index.htm I got myself a Kubaton for my keys, and one for my daughter. The Gardeners are an amazing team. If you get a chance to attend one of their seminars, do so.

Pam

Candy750
06 Shadow Aero

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 1217

Posted 8/7/2006 10:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride alone all the time, but I don;t ride at night.  I take my cell, and have roadside through my insurance.  My pony tail sticks out of my helmet...  Stares - nooo - I get guys who just want to chat.  It's day time tho....

Only one time when I drpped it on the road (bad shift, right turn, stall, opps) I was literally 50 yards from where I was going.  A man stopped and took me up the road, where I met hubby.  Not till I got there and got out I realized how dumb it was to get in a strangers car.  I forgot myself, but it was ok. 

demenSHEa
2000 Suzuki Bandit 12S

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 795

Posted 8/7/2006 2:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride alone about 98% of the time. I have never encountered anything but respect and awe. Most men or women want to hear about my travels, how far i have ridden, and how long i have been riding my own. Hopefully, that will be the bulk of it.

I do carry a cell and am considering getting GPS with tracking...nice to have. I do ride at night and I do ride some pretty remote roads. I guess i believe in good karma and my riding abilities, and hope for the best.

I am not a paranoid person, and I do believe in the adventure, but i also use common sense! idea
d

ISRA#20634
I had the right to remain silent.......but I didn't have the ability. --Ron White

lionlady

Date Joined Sep 2003

Posted 8/8/2006 11:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
+1, Donna!

I think that riding a motorcycle already puts us in a category of self-sufficiency and independence that makes us less likely to become targets, let alone VICTIMS. We must exude an aura of 'leave me alone, I'm not afraid to defend myself' as we ride.

P

behind_darkeyz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 61

Posted 8/8/2006 8:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was planning to ride to school tomorrow by myself and realized I have never ridden alone before.....true I'm a noob, but I've had my hubby and his buddy with me on all of the adventures outside of the neighborhood. Tomorrow should be interesting I guess. I think I'm more concerned that there will be no one to get my back, but like you say what will they be able to do if I go down? I am less concerned about "stranger danger." Being an anatomy student for many years, Lionlady is correct to go for the throat. Or....if it makes you more comfortable...pack (don't have one in the chamber while you ride though --- eek!). Any advice for the maiden voyage alone ladies?

DEEJAYGABB
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 4

Posted 8/25/2006 5:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I live in Los Angeles (actually Long Beach) CA and have no friends to ride with.  I just hope that I stay in the right neighborhood, or that people recognize that I'm a girl and have mercy on me.  What else can we do.  Fortunately, there are a lot of bikes on the road, so I hope that, God forbid, something happened, someone would be around to help.  Ride safe.

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 8/31/2006 11:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't worry about it. At night, i actually feel safer, the streets are quieter and noone can tell (and really, don't you think every motorcyclist is a "he" unless it's obvious otherwise?).

I had a bad bicycling accident once on a group ride, where I hit my head enough to not know which end was up. People stepped in to help. I was stranded in a BAD neighborhood with the sun setting with a friend after we had our helmets stolen off his motorcycle. Enough time on the cellphone; we figured out thanks to an incredible dispatcher with his insurance (in Tennessee, I think) that WalMart carries helmets and we could tow our bikes there.

Things work out. I do need to beef up those maintenance skills. It bothers me I haven't changed a tube yet; I learned that right away when I started bicycling.

Newbodometer: 4301 miles