Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MotoGirls > Lane Splitting  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

SoCalGirl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 97

Posted 10/29/2008 11:11 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is Lane Splitting mainly a guy thing because they "have no fear"? Or am I the only rider on the road that refuses to do it?

Sincerely,

Barbara
aka SoCalGirl
Yamaha V-Star 650 Rider

goodies
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 10/30/2008 2:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Absolutely not! But it seems guys like to do them more than women. I think they are one of the most dangerous things anyone can do. A couple of years ago and it was a women rider, decided to split lanes here, between to tractor/trailer in dead stop traffic, traffic begin to move ahead alittle, one of the big guys didn't see her in a blind spot, moved over a little, she was crushed between the two and killed. That is not a risk I am willing to take.

SoCalGirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/30/2008 6:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
goodies said...
Absolutely not! But it seems guys like to do them more than women. I think they are one of the most dangerous things anyone can do. A couple of years ago and it was a women rider, decided to split lanes here, between to tractor/trailer in dead stop traffic, traffic begin to move ahead alittle, one of the big guys didn't see her in a blind spot, moved over a little, she was crushed between the two and killed. That is not a risk I am willing to take.

Exactly my position in it too. There is no way I am going to take a chance getting that close to a moving vehicle. It only takes a split second of the car or truck to wander your direction ... and you're down.

Sincerely,

Barbara
aka SoCalGirl
Yamaha V-Star 650 Rider

southspice
SV Power

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1633

Posted 10/30/2008 7:53 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
skull Lane Splitting in my parts is illegal !!
Plus, my thoughts are it is a high risk decision!
Myself, if traffic is that bad .. I'm taking the next exit or side road!!

Forget world peace ... Visualize using your turn signal !!

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 10/30/2008 5:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

In the US, lane splitting is only legal in California.

But--confession time--I did lane-split once, to get to my exit.  I had a meeting that I couldn't be late for.

Didn't get caught, but I'm sure I generated some ill will and my takeaway was to better plan my mornings so I wouldn't be tempted to do something stupid as a result of being late.

Last summer, there were times in gridlock where I wished I could lane-split as I watched the oil temperature rise on my air-cooled Duc.

Newbodometer: 20595 miles

SoCalGirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/30/2008 11:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsanford said...

Ooooohhhhhhh ... I didn't know that. Good to know.

Sincerely,

Barbara
aka SoCalGirl
Yamaha V-Star 650 Rider

Schmink
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 38

Posted 11/10/2008 7:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SoCalGirl, I think lane splitting is more of an experienced rider thing versus a new rider thing.  When I'm alone, I don't usually lane split, however, when riding with my SO there have been times that I do lane split, but he usually goes first and I follow. . . .he has an 1800 Goldwing with a very bright modulator on the front. .he'll turn the modulator on whenever he splits to make sure he can be seen.

Schmink
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

RUDEsmile
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 30

Posted 11/22/2008 1:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Riding in NYC and the major highways around here, its illegal, but almost a necessity to split lanes. Sadly, I do it all the time. But it saves TONS of driving time, especially in standstill traffic. i've gotten pulled over for it once by the cops, but was giving a warning since the cop decided to say a sexist comment!

savage650
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/25/2008 4:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I don't really think its a guy thing.  When I started riding my bike to work in Los Angeles traffic I stayed to the left in the carpool lane.  Once I had enough of the stop and go traffic and saw all of the other bikes passing me on my right I finally got up the nerve to do it myself (no more than 10mph faster).  It's not so bad once you get used to it.  I get to work in half the time it would take me if I stayed in the lane.  Don't get me wrong...if I don't feel safe doing it, I won't.

Ride safe!

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 11/25/2008 11:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RUDEsmile said...
...but was giving a warning since the cop decided to say a sexist comment!

Ooo...what was it?

Once when I was having trouble pumping gas into my bike, I went into the little Texaco kiosk to ask the attendant for some advice (sleeved pumps) and he said why didn't I have my husband fill up the bike?

Haven't been to a Texaco station since. jumpin

Newbodometer: 21025 miles

RUDEsmile
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 30

Posted 11/30/2008 12:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I got pulled over for lane splitting and the cop walks up to me and says "I've been following you watching you do this for a few blocks." I apologized like a good driver does and he says "Shouldn't he (pointing to my guy riding shotgun) be driving?" and my passenger says "Umm, but she has the license. I don't ride at all." I look at the cop in disgust and say "That's sexist you know" and then he dismissed me with a warning. what a prick.

All4Blakey
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 347

Posted 1/7/2009 2:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I only lane split when it's safer to do it.

If it's foggy or I'm the last one in line waiting for a traffic light and I'm concerned about being rear ended, I lane split. But, I do it only if I know that the light isn't going to change and I have time to get to the front of the line.

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic (Mo)
Newbodometer: 2163 miles

ExDaytonaRider
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 15

Posted 6/11/2009 10:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If anyone would like to see what can happen when lane splitting goes bad I have some pictures I keep just to remind me when I get tempted and it's legal here. I used to get into arguements with people that do lane split but I gave up trying to help them see the risks.

I often find it interesting that almost all of us will complain about the cagers, but then we ride between them on the freeway???

That to me just doesn't add up. Have I been tempted? sure, have I ever done it in over 35 years of riding? nope.

If you want the pictures PM me because they are not suitable to post on a family site.

basshole
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 669

Posted 6/12/2009 12:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I lane split every day. very simple and easy to do if you are paying attention to whats going on around you.

Beer.....Helping ugly people get laid since 1853.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 17483

Posted 6/12/2009 2:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This might get deleted, since I'm of the Male Gender.

Splitting requires a disciplined skill. Extreme attention, reading what is safe and what has to be avoided.

When the biker does it right, it is safer than not doing it. And.. getting through and past the back-up and into flowing traffic again keeps your bike from throwing a hissy fit.

Some bikes are made for doing the job. Like a single cylinder DRZ 400 SM (SuperMoto), would be quick response in ths speed of thick traffic and thin to get through tight spaces.

Gold Wings and Baggers in general and Cruisers that don't do quick, as a first language.... I wouldn't put between the cars/big rigs.

The rider needs to read the drivers. Your looking in their mirrors, You can see their faces, You can see where they are looking. Are they looking straight ahead or looking for space in the other lane? You have to read their wheels, the first motion of change, you will see there. You have to read spaces in the next lane (if there is a space), you never (either slow down or speed up to not be in the bad place) allow yourself to be on the path of a car going from one lane to the other lane.

How does the split start? Safe way is, traffic ahead is stopping, lanes fill, no spaces, you do a quick check of your mirrors. Nothing behind you already in the split? You swing over between the lanes (technically in one or the other, don't ride the painted line or Bot dots). And, moving along 10 - 15 MPH faster than the slopped or creeping cars, You are Splitting. When the Cars start moving, and spaces start opening up, if it looks like it will move (not just stop again) pull into a space, and go with the traffic.

The real lucky biker is one that rides dirt bikes as well.  That trail riding, on a path that is just a few inches wide is priceless training.  Riding through trees (tight spaces) is even better priceless.

Focus the forces, Be The Force

Post Edited (louemc) : 6/12/2009 9:18:23 PM GMT

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 6/14/2009 6:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
louemc said...
This might get deleted, since I'm of the Male Gender.

Splitting requires a disciplined skill. Extreme attention, reading what is safe and what has to be avoided.

When the biker does it right, it is safer than not doing it. And.. getting through and past the back-up and into flowing traffic again keeps your bike from throwing a hissy fit.

Some bikes are made for doing the job. Like a single cylinder DRZ 400 SM (SuperMoto), would be quick response in ths speed of thick traffic and thin to get through tight spaces.

Gold Wings and Baggers in general and Cruisers that don't do quick, as a first language.... I wouldn't put between the cars/big rigs.

The rider needs to read the drivers. Your looking in their mirrors, You can see their faces, You can see where they are looking. Are they looking straight ahead or looking for space in the other lane? You have to read their wheels, the first motion of change, you will see there. You have to read spaces in the next lane (if there is a space), you never (either slow down or speed up to not be in the bad place) allow yourself to be on the path of a car going from one lane to the other lane.

How does the split start? Safe way is, traffic ahead is stopping, lanes fill, no spaces, you do a quick check of your mirrors. Nothing behind you already in the split? You swing over between the lanes (technically in one or the other, don't ride the painted line or Bot dots). And, moving along 10 - 15 MPH faster than the slopped or creeping cars, You are Splitting. When the Cars start moving, and spaces start opening up, if it looks like it will move (not just stop again) pull into a space, and go with the traffic.

The real lucky biker is one that rides dirt bikes as well. That trail riding, on a path that is just a few inches wide is priceless training. Riding through trees (tight spaces) is even better priceless.

I apologize, as a man, for entering this domain, but the title of the thread was interesting to me as a California rider.

At the risk of ruining my reputation............................................................I agree with everything Lou said here. lol

Exit stage right.

Desert Runner
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/4/2009 12:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In California it's almost mandatory, sit in traffic for 2 hours or split traffic and get there in 30 minutes. Also most police agencies in Cal recommend that their officers do it to avoid getting hit from behind in the stop and go traffic. I've been doing it for years, a few close calls but over all it has saved me 2 to 3 hours a day for the last 5 years.

Desert Runner

CrossStateLines
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 42

Posted 9/22/2009 5:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsanford said...

But--confession time--I did lane-split once, to get to my exit. I had a meeting that I couldn't be late for.

Didn't get caught, but I'm sure I generated some ill will and my takeaway was to better plan my mornings so I wouldn't be tempted to do something stupid as a result of being late.

Last summer, there were times in gridlock where I wished I could lane-split as I watched the oil temperature rise on my air-cooled Duc.

Yeah even in CA, I've never ventured mid-lane. I've heard too many horror stories and I don't need to give the cagers another opportunity to ruin my ride. ^^What Duc do you ride?

bsk777
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/30/2009 4:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, please ladies! You can lane split as good as the guys if you know what you are doing. The guys that seem to weave in and out of lanes effortlessly are probably rather experienced. I do it a lot, but I do it at a speed where I know I can brake and stop if I so much as sense movement by any cars that can make my passage perilous. Also, in moving traffic, it might help to stay a few seconds behind each car with your light on to ensure the driver has a chance of knowing you are there. No harm in hitting your horn politely as you pass, either! What're you going to get a ticket for? Noise pollution? Unlikely! Try to get a look at the driver's face in the mirror. If that person is on the phone or talking too much to a passenger, be extra careful.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/30/2009 10:22 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Exactly bsk777, it's not a gender issue. It's all about developing the skill (before moving through the heavy metal) and focused attention to the task at hand.

Elana Myers shattered the myth of what it takes to take on excelling on two wheels. Now it's "You Go Girl".

AZMotoBrat
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/30/2010 11:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
goodies said...
I am a woman, I do split lane a lot, but not around those freight trucks!!! I am terrified to be around those block heads even when I drive my F-350 pickup!
I may not be right in many things, but one thing I know for certain: stay out of those trucks as far as you can. If you have to go by, do it FAST! There are some freeways that I would not take my motorcycle during weekdays, such as 710 out of Long Beach, it's suicidal. Nothing but freight trucks and very bad pavement conditions caused by the same trucks.
Another thing: doing split lane and getting ahead of dead stop traffic at the traffic signal queueing on red, is all right. Getting caught in transition is not a good idea. So, if traffic starts moving, weave your way back into lane and claim your position as quick as you can. If you can see the pedestrian flash for the cross traffic, watch it: when it stops flashing and turns steady for them, it menas green will open for your direction quickly,  and you have few seconds to make decision.
When you split lane on a freeway that is moving, don't keep riding in between and especially don't ride side by side at te same speed: take a suitable gap, weave, alternate speed, make yourself visible. Maintain a gap on both sides if you can. Lane split is a short temporary zone of action that can't be treated as an extra lane. There are always people with slow reaction time, therea are always gaps in the traffic, no matter how slow and congested. Use them. See who the driver is: soccer mom driving minivan, Newport Coast grandpa on Bentley, someone emotional on the phone, some punkhead street racer, south of the border..... dangers! look out who is surrounding you and what they are doing when you can.
One more thing: evaluate your bike and what it can do. What we do on 400 lbs slim and quick sport bikes can not be as easily done on heavy, wide, limited maneuvrability domestic cruisers.

This is Ghost Ride, reguesting fly- by.

Hermit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2010
Total Posts : 41

Posted 7/30/2010 3:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I had thought about lane splitting a few times and might do it if my bike was overheating, but, as a general rule I don't lane split.

Hermit. 

Bikerider
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 6

Posted 11/14/2011 7:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just don't think I could do it. If a cager doesn't see you and decides to shift just a little bit, you're down. Not good.

louemc
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/16/2011 11:29 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bikerider said...
I just don't think I could do it. If a cager doesn't see you and decides to shift just a little bit, you're down. Not good.
There is a technique/skill/scripted ritual, that has to be done.  (to be safely splitting the lanes)

Do it, and there is nothing to fear, because You are in command.

Spit the lanes, without doing it, and you are road kill waiting to happen.

What is the "it"?   Now that ain't easy, it involves a mental discipline, and how that comes about, going from "rules given" to Rules imbedded in the brain...falls in the "experience" dept.

Like all learning,  starts with instruction, and easiest (safe-est) practice, and advances to the more difficult (extreme) as the rider builds the skills.

There is no "cager shifts a little bit" for me...I read the cagers I'm approaching, all of them.

That includes gaps they may go into (changing lanes), what their eyes are doing (I can see their faces in their rear view mirrors) and I can see their wheels, I can see everything I need to see, because of where I'm at, and what I'm looking at.

There is more to it, of course..... the point is...there is more to it, than being in motion in a place.
You need a mental discipline, and bike control skills (swerving is a skill) A cool head, for hard accelerations and braking.  So moves can be done that normal riding doesn't prepair you for.

It's important to me...Life or death Important.

Post Edited (louemc) : 11/17/2011 7:01:22 PM GMT