Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MotoGirls > drivers back rest? handlebar risers?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

red head sue
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 52

Posted 11/3/2008 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been riding for about 3 months now. We're going farther and I've noticed my back hurts after riding much more than 25 miles at a stretch. We think we have it narrowed down to being too far away from the handlebars. We've looked at risers and they're outrageous. I've tried to find a backrest but can't find one for a bike my size - 2005 Yamaha Virago 250. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found a website that "builds" custom backrests, but they won't build one for my bike, so I'm guessing they "build" them by way of Hong Kong. I researched a sissy bar (also outrageous) and a tombstone bag, but I'm pretty sure that would be too big for my smaller bike.

thanks

red head sue

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 11/3/2008 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I"d say that you may find bar risers if you spend some time, shopping. Ebay is your friend. How "outrageous" are they?

Given that they must be strong and secure, you want a well made product. They're usually made of cast aluminum. The issue I think you're also running into is that since your bike isn't incredibly common, there aren't many companies making aftermarket stuff. As a result, you'll pay more for what is available. Guess you've got to decide how much is it worth to ride pain free?

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 11/3/2008 6:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Couple of thoughts:

What about changing the seat?  I'm a big believer in a firm perch to sit securely upon while on the bike.  If the seat is squishy, my back, shoulders, etc will be tense as I'll never be able to plant myself on the bike.

I put bar risers on the Duc for under $70 and have a not-installed set for the BMW sitting on a shelf that were about $80.  What may make it "outrageous" is if the brake and clutch lines are too short--in that case, wait for a brake fluid change.

If the Virago has never had a brake fluid change, it could be time.

Newbodometer: 20620 miles

red head sue
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 11/4/2008 2:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most of the risers I found where around $100, and I'm mega cheap. The seat I have is pretty comfy and I really can't afford a mustang seat for her. It seems you gals are right, there aren't many parts made for her and what are made are pricey. This weekend, the fella at the dealership where hubby bought his bike suggested I buy one of those back support belts that people use when stocking heavy supplies. Oh well, maybe I can tough it out for now. Hubby wants to upgrade in a year or so, and I hope to upgrade to his ride and sell the Virago.

red head sue

southspice
SV Power

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1633

Posted 11/7/2008 9:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
smilewinkgrin Yeah RHS,

When I first read about the problem you were having .. I thought the risers would be your best bet. And still something to consider .. really
can make a huge difference.

One suggestion I wanted to add is kinda like what you last posted. Find a good support .. be it a support belt or just a pair of good support hose!!
I know sounds silly .. but may make an improvement and would not be out much cost to try! I know back problems and riding can take away the joy ..
so try some simple solutions first then if you do get serious do consider the bar risers! They really do help in your riding position!

Hope that helps some .. either way don't get flustered and give up!! Your just now getting to the point where you can really get out and Enjoy!!

btw: how are you enjoying so far? You seem to be liking and becoming a little biker lady!! :p  

Forget world peace ... Visualize using your turn signal !!

bikerchix1
1100 Honda Ace

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 864

Posted 11/9/2008 5:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope this suggestion will be able to help you like it did me. I was having the same problem and I corrected it buy buying 1 1/2 inch risers for my bike from custom cruiser. It brings the handle bars closer to me so I don't have to lean over as far. These are very simple to put on. Just take your top caps off and slide these on top of you stock risers and put the top caps back on using longer bolts. I also purchased a great back rest from Protac which you order by phone. The salesman will ask you your height and type bike. My back rest cost $125.00 dollars and it takes about 5 minutes to put on. Here is a pic of my bike with the back rest and risers. I think you will see a big difference in your riding. I purchased these after one long trip and I don't regret spending the money. I think these are very reasonable and I would not consider to go any cheaper unless you find a bike shop with them on sale. bc1

Live well, Love much and Laugh often!

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
100_1438.JPG
  249KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 1073 time(s).

Lora
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 921

Posted 11/10/2008 5:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree on the risers. Made a HUGE difference for me. I don't know how tall you are or how long your arms are but I'm 5'3 1/2 and my arms aren't extremely long for my size. Even though my handle bars are swept back they still weren't good for me. So I got a set of Phat Risers II for shorties lol that brought my handlebars up 2 inches from OEM and back 3 inches. So they're perfect now. Hubby had to cut the original little dinky riser off the handlebars to fit these on but it made a WORLD of difference. No more shoulder or upper back muscle tension or pain.

For the lower back, I'm sending my seat in to www.meancitycycles.com to have a seat mod. We sent my hubby's in and they put memory foam and dug a little out here and there based on his height, weight, and inseam and WOW! does it sit better. So my seat is next. I want to sit "down" in my seat a bit more so the back lip of the seat actually supports my pelvis a bit and keeps me from slouching as much. Then I'm gonna do a backrest and I'll be good! If you can't be comfy while riding, then it isn't no fun riding.

2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Schmink
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 38

Posted 11/10/2008 7:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree on the risers. . .I'm like Lora, about 5'4" and although I wasn't reaching that far it was enough that after a couple of hours my back would start to get sore.  I bought the Phat Risers too and I could feel the difference on the first ride. . .much more comfortable!  I know what you mean about the cost, but they are worth every penny!!

Schmink
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

southspice
SV Power

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1633

Posted 11/19/2008 4:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
:-) Most everyone I know of that has had a need and purchased the risers has been well pleased!
I had one friend say that within the first hour of riding she could tell a huge difference!
Personally, I have never had a problem .. so I cannot speak from personal experience though.  

So, RHS ... How are you doing?? You still riding in your area? It's Cold here .. brrrr!!
But have hope for next week being much warmer .. may even get to take a Ride! Zoom .. Zoom!!
I hope so .. could use one lol. Sure would make for a Nice Thanksgiving!! cool

Forget world peace ... Visualize using your turn signal !!

red head sue
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 12/25/2008 9:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I took a gamble and bought a driver's back rest off ebay. The guy didn't make one that fit my size bike, but he did offer to let me return it if I couldn't get it to work. It's one of those that can be quickly removed, the back rest fits in to a mount that fits under the drivers seat. It didn't fit correctly, but we bought longer screws and wedged the mount under the seat and I was good to go. Love it!! I can ride for much longer distances already.

It's been nasty weather here lately. Today was the first day I've been able to ride any this week. Hubby and I went for a ride and there was virtually no traffic. Had to bundle up pretty good, it was 42. We've been having lots of rain. Either it's been raining or way to cold - Monday it was 8 degrees when I left for work, so no riding. 35-40 is about my cutoff on temps. Hubby however rode to work Monday, I think he's insane.

red head sue

SirDocWolf
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/20/2009 3:42 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a quick note, there is a forum solely for Virago's. I have owned 5 and alot of good info there on what works for them and doesnt
www.viragotech.com

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/22/2009 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The basic problem with the 250 Virago, and all the cruiser style bikes, is the seating position itself. Especially on the Virago, the seating position is made worse by the low seat, forward foot controls and pullback style handlebar. The three combine to cause the lower back to curve outward. Remember when you're mom or teacher told you to sit up straight and not slouch? Well, at least they did back in the 60s.

Anyway, the seating position combines to casue the lower back to curve out unnaturally, placing all your upper body wieght on your butt and tailbone. Your feet are forward and cannot adequately support your leg weight. Bar risers may reduce your reach to the handlebar, but they will also promote more lower back loading. Plus, the slouch position, along with the hands up and out in the cruiser style makes your upper body a sail into the wind, with no bracing to support it. So the backrest will help.

Actually a flatter style handlebar (like that on a Honda Nighthawk) with risers would make some sense, because it positions the hands and wrists in a more natural angle and reach than do the pullback style handlebar. So I say use risers but get rid of the pullback bars and go with a drag-bike style or standard style handlebar. Next, a backrest to support your lower back will help. But neither of them will reduce the butt load that is the next thing you'll sense as you ride more. Here, because your feet are out in front, your feet, legs and hips are no in line below your upper body to help support your weight and riding position. But again, that is the nature of the beast in a cruiser style bike. Finally, a windshield to take the wind blast off your chest will help reduce the upper body load fighting the wind.

I'm no doctor, but I have been riding for 36 years and have come to know what really works for riding. That's why the standard or naked style bike riding position is still the overall best for comfort, control and longer riding ablility.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 1/22/2009 8:37:21 PM GMT

Angelwings
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 15

Posted 4/7/2009 1:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a question for Bikerchix1.  I just bought the backrest from Protac for my 2000 Honda Shadow 600 but I am having a little difficulty because of my saddlebags.  The saddlebags are preventing me from tightening the bolt for the strut down. I notice on your bike you also have saddlebags.  Did you just push the saddlebags hard up against to get the bolt tightened?  Thanks.

bikerchix1
1100 Honda Ace

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 864

Posted 4/12/2009 10:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry Angelwings I did not see this post and I have been a little distracted by my back. Are your bags the hard type or soft? If soft just push out of the way,if hard a little extra force may be needed. If you have a lot of trouble call the site and they will be glad to help. BC1

Live well, Love much and Laugh often!

Angelwings
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 15

Posted 4/20/2009 1:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No worries.  I had to take the bike to the shop for a new back tire and I didn't know it but the bracket for the saddle wasn't suppose to have the plate that was attached (BTW the bags are soft).  The bags was already on the bike when I bought it soooo the shop is going to remove the plate and he said it should be fine then.  Thanks though:)

Armand Jones
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 9

Posted 10/27/2010 11:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
red head sue said...
I've been riding for about 3 months now. We're going farther and I've noticed my back hurts after riding much more than 25 miles at a stretch. We think we have it narrowed down to being too far away from the handlebars. We've looked at risers and they're outrageous. I've tried to find a backrest but can't find one for a bike my size - 2005 Yamaha Virago 250. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found a website that "builds" custom backrests, but they won't build one for my bike, so I'm guessing they "build" them by way of Hong Kong. I researched a sissy bar (also outrageous) and a tombstone bag, but I'm pretty sure that would be too big for my smaller bike.

thanks

If you wanted some good Sissy Bar for your bike, try to incorporate it with the make or the style that you wish to want. In that way, you would be able to really get things straight and get it all out for the better of your ride.

Post Edited (Armand Jones) : 11/2/2010 12:15:19 AM GMT

witt1031
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/17/2011 4:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am taking this interpretation from something you said..."my hubby bought the bike." Men and women are just built differently (groan here). It sounds as though you have a bike that is not ergonomically suited to you. There's more to it than just seat height. Sit on some other (appropriately sized) bikes and you'll see what I mean.
While I am a fan of risers, you may be throwing good money away by trying to make a bike that is just wrong for you fit you anyway.