Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MotoGirls > I have noticed ...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

talon
she rides

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 688

Posted 6/21/2010 1:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
... that guys in groups can be really weird. I know, this is something that I should have figured out after 55 years on this rock, but I expect better from motorcyclists I guess. We visited our favorite motorcycle-only campground this last weekend and I was the only female rider there out of over 50 motorcyclists. We were surrounded by camps with one to 5 males per and it was impossible not to hear conversations as I walked by. Not directed at me that I could tell, but very deragotory towards women in general. The testosterone was so thick you could smell it. My husband and I have attended women rider events and he says the atmosphere at those is totally different, no ego displays, everyone just having a good time. I like people and it depresses me to walk by a camp and raise my hand saying "good morning!" only to receive silence or a turned back in return *sigh*. H says they are just jealous :-). But I just know they are thinking he is "whipped" which really pisses me off. What a weird mind-set. Thanks for letting me share this load ...

Ride it like you want to ride tomorrow.

Hermit
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2010
Total Posts : 41

Posted 6/21/2010 1:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hey Talon, This would be a good thread to post in the General Motorcycle chat forum and see what the guys on here would say. Don't let it bother you, just keep on riding!

Hermit.

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/21/2010 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I dunno, I'm feeling kind of defensive about talking to ANY guys right now. I'll get over it :-)

itsertime
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 67

Posted 6/21/2010 7:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
just a bunch of insecure morons, don't sweat it, Erica...I must say the guys on this post are very helpful and nice.

Kawasaki ninja 250 1993

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/22/2010 5:12 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're right, insecure morons. I've grown accustomed to the regulars on this forum who are as a rule very kind, helpful and courteous. Guess I need to get out amongst the general male mc population more, and grow a thicker hide :-)

red head sue
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 52

Posted Today 1:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, unfortunately it takes all kinds to make this world go round, and some days, it seems like the only ones you bump in to are the knuckle-dragging apes. Hang in there.

On an unrelated note, I see you ride a Suzy C50 - it's hard to see the paint on your picture - is it the Tribal paint job? If so, small world, I ride a Suzy C50T, with the Tribal paint!

red head sue

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/28/2010 5:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nah, blue and silver. The tribal paint is beautiful but I would have had to special order, and patience has never been my strong point :-)
I need to update my pic, she has a windshield and other stuff now ...

Post Edited (talon) : 6/28/2010 12:23:01 PM GMT

red head sue
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 6/29/2010 2:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sweet! I love my windshield, are you enjoying yours as well? The silver and blue looks identical to the silver/blue on the tribal. I totally understand about waiting for something. I ordered a lowering kit a week ago and it is still on back order. I'm not a very happy camper, to say the least.

red head sue

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/30/2010 5:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've had windshields on all my bikes since the first one back in 1982. I rode my first bike for a year without one and got tired of eating bugs and dodging rocks etc. Highway bars and above the ankle boots came after the first 2 mph drop in gravel. It's been a learning process :-) At 55 I'm finally learning SOME patience ...

red head sue
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 7/6/2010 9:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
oh yes, love the highway bars. They've already paid for themselves on my bike. I had a backing up incident in my own stupid driveway. While I couldn't pick it back up by myself, at least I didn't have to lie pinned under it for hubby to come home and help me pick her up.

red head sue

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/24/2010 6:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you know in our Trap shooting Range to h/gun indoor section WE have a number of gals that do the sport CONSIDERING it is so hard to own a h/gun or any form of gun in Canada since all but one party is AGAINST Cdns owning & using them at the ranges though the same guns cannot be used by ANYONE FOR HOME, FAMILTY OR SELF-DEFENSE accoring to Cdn fireams laws.

Also of interest some yrs ago we had a new RCMP Sargent who said to us in the sport shop "Only people to have h/guns should be the police & military NOT civilians"

After a while he asked if I had keys to the range as he had noted the gate was locked.  Being President along with h/gund directory/instructor I said let us to go to my place to pick up a few of my guns, targets, tools & ammo.

At the range Bill Ostaficuk was impressed  with the safety we used.  Also shot all of my center-fire h/guns & wanted me to give up one of my two PPC revolvers knowing I have two of them, but in a while rounded up his own 'used' PPC revolver.  Prior he had bought his own 38 Spl revolver from my advixe through only 90 rounds through it, to also joined the Club & started to reload his own ammo.

Women or men shooting he was simply happy in having his own  gun & our SAFETY for all of us.  As usual he was polite like he was to all civilans in our small town.

When transferred to Kelowna as a Staff Sargent, he bought his own 750cc four, used but in good shape, so he could travel back to our range to have the fun of shooting with use KNOWING we only ran perfection in safety.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 7/26/2010 6:13:12 PM GMT

jsanford
'07 BMW F800ST, '08 M695, '04 Moto Guzzi Breva...

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 2385

Posted 11/17/2010 6:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I work in a traditionally-male field and have seen a lot of this.

My first job after college, business lunches were held at Hooters and, once, Centerfolds.

When guys forget my presense and say things clearly not meant to be within earshot of any women, I just pretend I'm hosting Wild Kingdom.  lol

Usually what's said is a real character-revealer.

Newbodometer: 35000+ miles

Quicklimegirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 828

Posted 12/12/2010 9:08 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
talon said...
... that guys in groups can be really weird. I know, this is something that I should have figured out after 55 years on this rock, but I expect better from motorcyclists I guess. We visited our favorite motorcycle-only campground this last weekend and I was the only female rider there out of over 50 motorcyclists. We were surrounded by camps with one to 5 males per and it was impossible not to hear conversations as I walked by. Not directed at me that I could tell, but very deragatory towards women in general. The testosterone was so thick you could smell it. My husband and I have attended women rider events and he says the atmosphere at those is totally different, no ego displays, everyone just having a good time. I like people and it depresses me to walk by a camp and raise my hand saying "good morning!" only to receive silence or a turned back in return *sigh*. H says they are just jealous :-). But I just know they are thinking he is "whipped" which really pisses me off. What a weird mind-set. Thanks for letting me share this load ...

I've seen that too, especially since I'm a similar age (52) and have been riding on the road solo since the mid to late '70s. As an older woman you are invisible or not "worthy" of being acknowledged in any way, or at least in any positive way...plus add more negativity if you're overweight or not the quintessential young bikini babe, or if older, "MILF" material. Basically at best many men will be condescending if they acknowledge you at all. I've learned after many years to just grow a thick skin and dismiss out of hand anyone who doesn't treat me with at least a modicum of respect. The problem with the kind of "men" you encountered there is they apparently spend inordinate amounts of time trying to convince themselves of their masculinity and think of any pursuits they take up as belonging to them and that women are innappropriate. Atavistic attitudes = ignorance personified.

Any more, except for the vintage clubs I belong to (which seem to welcome all women) I prefer to ride and associate more with other women riders, for the reasons you stated above.

It's been a long time since I've been on this site, I just found the link again.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 12/12/2010 7:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Something about our gun club, in that a number of women shoot, be it rifle, trap shooting or h/gun shooting & as long as this woman's father turned out loads for her 38spl she was a darn good shooter according to all of us.

Marriage came along, though we did not think her hubby was good enough to match her through her looks & enthusiasm to the liking of all of us.

Unfortunately he went down with cancer to the throat.  We felt sorry for her, but then she moved from our area to Greater Vancouver so no longer a shooting of that capacity.

Mind you when we had .22 cal rifle the woman in charge of this was probably one of the best in Canada for not only .22, but also large-bore rifle.  She needed some assistance to run some 8 ot 10 other teeners of both male & female.  So I stepped in with my Walther UIT Match.

We had a lot of fun, but most of the kids went off to Vanouver University & others coming in wanted the freebie of not having to join the Club at $25.00, to supply their own ammo while we supplied the Anschutz rifles, the targets the special mats for prone shooting & all the rest for kneel to also standing position.  Seemed a bit to costly to the parents for us to baby sit the kids.

That Sunday morning was blank so we took it over with h/gun shooters & our Membership Chairman is running the indoor an hour after we leave for h/gun be the shooter female, of her preference, or male.

Yes I have a lot of respect for her doing so well in both positions & believe me as Membership Chairman it is a tough job to run, but as she mentioned she was divorced three times & that was enough.  Makes sense to me though I was not hinting as I was in my late 70s at the time.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

talon
she rides

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/15/2010 12:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have never ridden with anyone but hubby and a few male friends or couples (all the drivers were male). I would like to ride with women some day just to see what it's like. I wonder if the riding styles differ? I seem to be more cautious then the guys in our group for sure.

Ride it like you want to ride it tomorrow.

Gale Thorstone
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 3/28/2011 6:02 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anyone know of any women biker events?

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 3/28/2011 1:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you a member of the American Motorcyclists Association? Every 3 years, they have a national conference for women. The last one was outside Denver, CO, in 2009. So, the next one will be in 2012. Women on Wheels has an annual rally, and I'm sure the Motor Maids do as well. If you're on the east coast. There's the Mid Atlantic Women's Motorcycle Rally (MAWMR) - annually held just outside Gettysburg, PA.

Some riding web sites have women's gatherings. Pashnit.com (California) has regular "girly rides."

You gotta surf around and find a forum that feels like home.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.