Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MotoGirls > Kiwi Rider Visiting Your Country  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CheekyKiwiGirl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 13

Posted 1/1/2011 2:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi,

New Zealand girl heading to your fabulous country on a riding holiday.

I have just brought a  bike off eBay thinking I had not left a stone unturned before buying and that I was doing everything right to be "street legal" Have purchased the bike from Virgina and arranging for it to be shipped up to Milwaukee where we shall start our riding adventure. Of course at the Harley Museum, logic to us! lol  cool

I have a great storage facility arranged, the guys there could not be more accommodating. Now comes my problem. I have brought the bike in Virgina, wish to ride it from Milwaukee to Los Angeles heading down through Indianapolois Nashville Memphis New Orleans Houston San Antonio back towards Los Angeles. roll
I called the DMV Milwaukee and spoke to a woman there.  I told her I wish to be "street legal" how do I go about getting temporary plates so that I can ride the bike to Los Angeles where is can be shipped back to NZ.  She informs me the only thing I can do is to fully registrar it with the DMV Wisconsin and pay the 5% sales tax plus $69.50 for the plates.shakehead

Really?  is there nothing I can do?  Is there no such thing as a transit plate? temporary plate?  Help Girls Please?

Should I be speaking perhaps to the DMV in Virgina where the bike is from ?

Sue freaked

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 1/1/2011 3:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CheekyKiwiGirl said...

Really?  is there nothing I can do?  Is there no such thing as a transit plate? temporary plate?  Help Girls Please?

Should I be speaking perhaps to the DMV in Virgina where the bike is from ?

Sue freaked
I'm not a girl but the answers are: NO and YES....unfortunately.

The rules vary by state though and it would definitely be worth a shot to talk to Virginia.

I hope you are positively sure that the bike has a clear Virginia title.

CheekyKiwiGirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 13

Posted 1/1/2011 6:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes it most certainly has a clear title.

Leave no stone unturned, see and do as much as possible before departing this scene. Treat people how you would wish to be treated :-)

MichaelD
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 658

Posted 1/1/2011 7:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go to our General Motorcycle chat board and at the top Is a link on how to insure your bike in the states. We had a gal named Kiwi Max do what you are doing . You may also want to re-post this in the General chat board more people will see your question and be more likely to assist you there. You might want to e-mail her.

In God We Trust, All Others Must Submit Objective Evidence

South Central Kansas

Post Edited (MichaelD) : 1/2/2011 3:00:00 AM GMT