Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > MotoGirls > suggestions for a cruiser  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

carlabunga
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 6/9/2011 7:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Ladies,
I have been riding off and on for about 20 years but always had short rides so comfort wasn't a real issue. I dd notice however that sometimes my hands would get numb from the handlebars if the ride was too long.

I am currently searching for a cruiser for rides of about 200 to 300 miles. All the guys I know tell me I should get a HD soft tail and that the 883 and 1200 will be too small for me and aren't good cruisers for long rides. I have two girlfriends with sportys and one said it was good for long rides and she has gone all over the US and the other said she wants to upgrade to a fat boy. I have always had Suzuki's so am not real familiar with HD's and their price tag is pretty hefty compared to the Suzuki's and Yamahas.

Can anyone offer me any advice in this arena? I am 5'5" 140lbs and long legs. My last bike was a Suzuki Savage 650 which I loved and was very easy to handle, but my hands went numb and the vibration was bad over 65 mph.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. I want to get a bike asap before the season is over.

Thanks much

Carla

lionlady
-----Mistress of Novices. -Total miles: 85,000+

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 2759

Posted 6/12/2011 2:01 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you want a touring bike, and you've got long legs, there are so many other options than cruisers. The riding position (leaned back or sitting straight upright), can cause lower back pain, it exaggerates the curve of the lower back.

I ride a BMW sport tourer, and LOVE it. I rode across the country from Baltimore to Denver with a gal who was on a lowered Kawasaki Versys.

P

ATGATT: Because walking away in disgust, beats riding away in an ambulance.

Longshot
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 117

Posted 6/13/2011 10:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dude here. If there's a Triumph dealer nearby, check them out. Bonneville, Speedmaster, or even a Thunderbird if you've got the legs for it. P-twins are a little less vibe-y than a big single or the V twins from HD.

Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth!

13806 mi. on Newb-dometer

witt1031
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/17/2011 4:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride two bikes, a Vstrom DL1000 (probably too tall for you, it's tall for me at 5 8) and a Goldwing GS1800. If the ergonomics are right, the Wing is the ultimate touring machine. Don't buy the really old ones, 2004 or later.

Bikerider
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 6

Posted 11/14/2011 7:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I ride a Yamaha Vstar 950. I think it will be worth your time to check it out. A lot of bike for the money. I started 7 years ago with a Yamaha 250 which was a great little bike, so nibble and easy to ride. Then I had a Yamaha 650 Custom, which was great. But these do not compare to the 950. Its so balanced and the center of gravity makes it easy to ride. I needed a low bike (5'1" tall) and its fits to a tee. The 950 has plenty of power. In 14 months I've put over 14K miles on it and had no problem pulling the Rockie Mountains of Yellowstone or the plains of Kansas and Nebraska. I love my 950.